If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

PC RPG Coverage

bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friendFull Members
edited January 2011 in Site & Forum Support
I thought RPGamer did cover a lot of the western RPG's, because there are so many of them now a days from a variety of companies (and no I do not count freeware, as that is a complete different kettle of fish, as are the sandbox games that have 'leveling up' but are more action then RPG, aka your GTA's.

Yeah there aren't that many Western RPG's outside Blizzard.

/** Split from Misc. Gaming - Battlefront as this has traversed squarely into a discussion of site coverage ~ shoptroll */
http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.

Comments

• KiroLMKiroLM New Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    It's kind of hard to take RPGamer as a serious RPG website when they'll cover Dissidia and it's sequel (and have gamepages for both) just because they have Final Fantasy in the title, but King's Bounty: Crossworld gets one news article, no game page, it's already out, and that's the end of it.

However, my main issue has always been that RPG-elements only count if they're in Japanese games.

Also, discount smaller developers frivolously makes about as much sense as saying "I'm not going to count any Japanese games with any character who uses ellipses more than twice, for the sake of this argument".
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited October 2010
    KiroLM wrote: »
    It's kind of hard to take RPGamer as a serious RPG website when they'll cover Dissidia and it's sequel (and have gamepages for both) just because they have Final Fantasy in the title, but King's Bounty: Crossworld gets one news article, no game page, it's already out, and that's the end of it.
    RPG coverage is SERIOUS business. :cool2:
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2010
    Only if you're concerned with ???? PROFIT ????
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Every time someone makes a thread about PC RPGs here it gets like 3 posts before losing the spotlight to whatever animu games are big this week. Is there any reason for the staff to put serious effort into their PC RPG coverage when clearly no one gives a ****?

That said, this site has like 3 reviews for Alpha Protocol. I doubt think even Obsidian cared that much about Alpha Protocol.
    edited October 2010
    ...why would people who like PC RPGs be prevalent in a website that never covers them?

Most PC gamers get their news from general coverage sites because they're the only ones that cover them to any extent.

You're describing the symptom.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2010
    That's not a bad point. Still, would any coverage this site provides actually have a chance of drawing people in from sites like RPGWatch or RPGCodex which obsessively post any and all PC RPG news they can lay their hands on?
    edited October 2010
    *shrug* It depends on the quality of the coverage. There's no reason those users wouldn't check multiple sites, and subsequently check out the community specifically and the website as a whole.

At that point, it's up to them whether or not they want to stick around. But at least they're exposed to it to begin with.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010

Flogging a dead horse at this point, but that's mostly born out of the site's history as Square.net. Not speaking for the staff, but I think Paws is one of the few staff members who actually played the previous KB games so I'd expect a review at some point. Granted, as an expansion pack it's probably not going to entice many people to check out the franchise if they haven't already.

But ummm hey, weren't you that PC guy on staff?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited October 2010
    ::Looks at all the news posts she's made on Western RPGs and the coverage we've given a variety of indie RPGs from Western devs lately::

Yeah, we do plenty of Western RPG coverage. Not as much as the RPG Codex, it's true, but they are a very, very tightly focused site. We have several active PC Gamers on the current staff, including myself, and have even attempted to broaden our PC game coverage by adding more "hybrid" games and Zeldalikes, just as we often cover such games from Japan (interestingly, the hybrid Japanese games don't tend to be complained about on the forums, but anytime we start to cover a Western hybrid game, somebody whines about how it's "not an RPG"). It's true, our PC stories don't always get as much attention from our readers as our stories on games from Japan, but I've noticed they're getting more attention now than they did when I joined the staff a year ago.

King's Bounty: Crossworlds didn't get its own game page upon its announcement because it seemed to occupy a funny space between "DLC" and "full expansion", so we stuck the news on the Armored Princess page. It was an active decision, not a "meh, stupid PC game, ignore it" decision.

Either way, our news department strives to provide quality general coverage of RPGs for all major gaming platforms. We go for quality over quantity of stories, so the information we provide is as official and accurate as possible. Because of RPGamer's history, we have stronger ties with companies that localize Japanese games than we do with Western companies, but that's slowly changing. In the meantime, folks who read our site and enjoy Western RPGs can feel free to mail news@rpgamer.com if you think we've missed something we should be covering.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited October 2010
    Ocelot wrote: »
    King's Bounty: Crossworlds didn't get its own game page upon its announcement because it seemed to occupy a funny space between "DLC" and "full expansion", so we stuck the news on the Armored Princess page. It was an active decision, not a "meh, stupid PC game, ignore it" decision.

How would that be considered DLC? It's an expansion to a standalone entry that double as an expansion to KB. The deveoper even said it was an expansion. So when a developer claims a game is an RPG (by the way, where's the Mindjack coverage?) you take it at face value but you have to debate if something is DLC or an expansion like the developer says? Actually when I notice that Diablo II: Lord of Destruction lacks an actual game page and Dragon Age: Awakenings doesn't I'm not terribly surprised the site doesn't have a consistent policy regarding expansions.
    In the meantime, folks who read our site and enjoy Western RPGs can feel free to mail news@rpgamer.com if you think we've missed something we should be covering.

It would really help the PC games coverage here if someone in the news department were at least following the RSS feeds on RPS, Steam, PCGamer and/or Big Download. You missed Icewind Dale getting a release on GOG and Deathspank is being published at the end of the month for PC (Mac version to follow).
    edited October 2010
    shoptroll wrote: »
    It would really help the PC games coverage here if someone in the news department were at least following the RSS feeds on RPS, Steam, PCGamer and/or Big Download. You missed Icewind Dale getting a release on GOG and Deathspank is being published at the end of the month for PC (Mac version to follow).

I'm not going to speak further on the game page issue, since it's not my call, however, we absolutely did not miss IWD or DeathSpank. We are currently writing those stories. We have a staff of volunteers who cannot keep a 24/7 news cycle like the big sites.
    edited October 2010
    I'm not going to speak further on the game page issue, since it's not my call, however, we absolutely did not miss IWD or DeathSpank. We are currently writing those stories. We have a staff of volunteers who cannot keep a 24/7 news cycle like the big sites.

Ok just making sure, since you guys got the Re:Coded release out pretty fast.
    edited October 2010
    There are loads of PC news that get missed. That's no surprise, as there are a lot of game news that get missed in every site. However, there is something to be said for even coverage, and I seriously doubt anyone is on PC duty. The real reason there's little PC coverage is that there aren't that many PC gamers on staff, and even those that are PC gamers aren't into all that weird Paradox stuff.

RPGamer wouldn't cover Majesty 2 because it's considered a sim, and it's set in a western fantasy setting. Recettear gets 4 news stories, screenshots, art, a demo impression, a review and an interview. The only RPG part of the game is the metagame, and even then it's only tangential to the main sim. It's bothersome, and saying it was a conscious decision doesn't make it any less irksome than if it was an oversight.
    edited October 2010
    There are a lot of Japanese games we decide not to cover, too. Trying to provide absolutely consistent coverage decisions on Eastern/Western RPGs is very difficult, and to a certain extent, edge case games need someone on site to take a personal interest in them. Unfortunately, Kiro, I think your biggest problem with us isn't a lack of coverage of PC/Western games, but a lack of coverage of some of the games you personally like.

And yes, I'm on PC duty and report on the things I'm able to report on with the time I have available. I'm on Steam every day, checking in with Mac on new games that get announced that I believe should be covered. Personally, I'd really appreciate a bit more respect and a lot fewer baseless assumptions being made about what the staff is or isn't doing. It's really not fun to work hard on something and then have some random internet dude tell you that you're lolling around eating bonbons.
    edited October 2010
    Personally, I'd really appreciate a bit more respect and a lot fewer baseless assumptions being made about what the staff is or isn't doing. It's really not fun to work hard on something and then have some random internet dude tell you that you're lolling around eating bonbons.

I don't think anyone is accusing anyone on staff of not doing their job. I think there's some legitimate questions about why certain news items take longer to process or write up and I'm sure that's frustrating to hear on your end.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah. This is all some secret plot to get everybody to play Flotilla.

As far as coverage goes, I don't know what to tell you. When someone has the time to make a write up to tell the world how well Recettear is selling, but all the new Deus Ex stuff including a new interview is missing, all the new Witcher 2 footage including a couple of interviews and gameplay footage with developer commentary and a phone interview, an entire expansion written off as a footnote because it couldn't be decided if it was DLC or not, the Drakensang expansion, a 7 page hands on of Dragon Age 2 write up by PCGamer.... were all of these things written off as being irrelevant?

And that's just a handful of things from September.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Well ... there's nothing stopping anyone from putting up their hand for news-writing duties if they wanted to redress the balance between WRPGs and JRPGs ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited October 2010
    I don't think anyone is accusing anyone on staff of not doing their job. I think there's some legitimate questions about why certain news items take longer to process or write up and I'm sure that's frustrating to hear on your end.

Definitely, and I don't have a problem with people who do so in a respectful manner, like most of the people in this thread have been doing. If you want a real behind-the-scenes view of how these things work, here it is: We generally try to do a first-in, first-out method of writing up news stories. So stories go up in our projects database and we claim them in order to avoid duplicating each other's work. If somebody claims a story on a particular day, then has to go to work/class/etc. before finishing it, that story might not show up until later than another story claimed by someone else.

In the case of Re:coded vs. DeathSpank/Icewind Dale, we had a story about Re:coded that was posted to our database yesterday saying that Re:coded had been announced for North America (via Twitter). Before somebody had the chance to post it, Squeenix sent out a press release with the release date and associated media. Because of when the story was originally posted, it was first-in, so I posted it as first-out today. The IWD and DeathSpank stories were next in the queue.

Also (and this is the first rule of dealing with press everywhere) some companies are better at putting out press releases than others. We love press releases. They're official, substantiated information from companies. If I get a press release news story, I can post it quickly and with little research. If I get a story found from another site, off Twitter, etc., I take the time to research it and verify that the information I'm posting is accurate. This naturally takes longer, so those types of stories may fall off the first in/first out queue as reporters grab the ones they know they can get up quickly with little fuss. Because PC RPG developers tend to be a bit smaller and may lack PR staff, it's not always as easy to research and write PC stories. Heck, even BioWare isn't always the best at giving me easy ways to write stories... I often end up having to dig through the BioWare forums to verify information, and that takes a while.

One thing I've learned in my year here is that games journalism looks a lot easier than it is, at least if you want to do a good job at it.
    edited October 2010
    When someone has the time to make a write up to tell the world how well Recettear is selling

To be fair to the news people, that was probably a Press Release that got blasted out as Destructoid was carrying a similar story a day or two later.
    edited October 2010
    To be fair to the news people, that was probably a Press Release that got blasted out as Destructoid was carrying a similar story a day or two later.

It was, indeed. Also, the story was written up by a non-newsie who had a personal interest in the game, so it wasn't taking up news staff time/resources.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Yeah you're right, we don't cover any PC stuff at all....wait what's this Disciples III impression linked on the main page?

I mean are you serious? Most of the RPGs you're mentioning are more niche than AR TONELICO. And Majesty 2 is NOT an RPG for the love of God.

Give me a break, most of the big RPGs on PC these days are also on consoles, and are covered here. I've never even heard of Armored princess and I read about 20 different gaming sites.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited October 2010
    It was, indeed. Also, the story was written up by a non-newsie who had a personal interest in the game, so it wasn't taking up news staff time/resources.

Ah. Has the staff ever tried allowing readers to submit news posts? It might be a good way to seek out new talent in addition to the standard hiring call. Also, keeps the RPG forum from being 90% "news from another site about game X" if people could directly put stuff into your queue. Just throwing ideas out.
    Wheels wrote: »
    I've never even heard of Armored princess and I read about 20 different gaming sites.

Here ya go. I'd definitely consider it outside the mainstream coverage, but hey Paws reviewed it and the previous game. No more obscure than Recettear.

Even if you don't care about PC games, you should read RPS because they do some great commentary on current issues and a good amount of indie coverage. Which is also good because a lot of notable indie games are hitting PC and usually XBLA or whatever acronym their smaller Indie games are bundled under. Plus they're British, and Munchkin Impossible tells me that all Brits are classy.

EDIT: To be fair, he didn't claim Majesty 2 was an RPG. He was saying why it shouldn't be covered by the sites standards. Flotilla is an obscure indie strategy game. Again, not an RPG. Everything else mentioned in this thread is pretty much AAA stuff with Deus Ex, Dragon Age II, Deathspank and Icewind Dale.
    edited October 2010
    As I've said (and it's up on the site in a couple places as well), people can feel free to message news@rpgamer.com if there are stories they think we should cover. However, not everything people post on the forums would be news that we want to post. We try not to re-post too many stories directly from other news sites, especially exclusive reveals to other English media sites (which means that sometimes Japanese games get more attention from us because we're one of the few sites to post information about said game in English). We also tend to minimize coverage of JRPGs that are very unlikely to come out in North America (those get saved for Japandemonium), and sometimes we simply don't cover games or stories that we could cover, but don't believe will be of interest to our readers.

Allowing readers to directly news-post to the site is not only technically impossible because of how the site works, it wouldn't mesh with our editorial standards.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Since I mostly do podcasting and the *occasional* review, I hardly have room to talk on this much. But, really, this is a site run by volunteers who do this solely for the passion of RPGs. Many of the staff members were ardent readers of the site before volunteering to help run it. Therefore, they are representative of their current audience, for the most part.

Aside from other elements mentioned already, such as availability of press releases or what not, clearly the majority of staff members enjoy more traditional, Japanese style RPGs over western (especially western indy). Because of that, and the fact this is a volunteer effort, they are bound to get more coverage. Basically, you're more likely to see 3 reviews of Final Fantasy XYZ within a month of release than, let's say, Drakensang.

Aside from often putting their own money out there (to buy the games), RPGamer staff put in a lot of time and talent making this thing work. So, if they tend to slant a bit more on coverage in a certain direction, it's all good.

However, when there are the appropriate press releases, review copies, etc., we usually step up to the plate and get stuff reported even if it's not everyone's cup o' tea. Kiro, I believe you did the Drakensang review. Would you have done it, or would it have been as quickly done, if we did not receive a review copy? I did the impression, which I did promptly after getting the preview copy. That has not changed to this day.

Remember, you can always do 'reader reviews' on any RPG, including PC, that you feel isn't getting enough coverage. Aside from that, you can always talk about it informally in channel or on the forums.

BTW...I've been playing KB:APC. In reading the description of APC on their website, it really does read more like DLC than a full blown expansion. Sure, they use the world 'expansion'... but consider this... First, it has two very short mini campaigns (I beat the first one in about 2 hours). Next, the expansion to the main campaign, "March of the Orcs", has a feature list that mentions new creatures, towers, etc....but doesn't actually mention any new lands, higher levels, etc., that really 'expand' the game. Even steam says, "Orcs on the March – extensive update to the original King’s Bounty: Armored Princess". So, overall it really looks more like a moderate retooling of the original adventure with some new spells, skills and enemies thrown in to freshen the experience up a bit. The quick 2 hour adventures REALLY feel like DLC as well. Maybe it's a DLC Pack...but not really not an expansion.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Remember, you can always do 'reader reviews' on any RPG, including PC, that you feel isn't getting enough coverage. Aside from that, you can always talk about it informally in channel or on the forums.

No you can't. We've stopped accepting reader reviews due to a general lack of interest. Nobody was sending them and it wasn't worth maintaining a column when we were only receiving maybe one every 3 months. We may bring them back in the future once we figure out a solution, but until then, we won't be accepting reader reviews.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I've been thinking about this for a time: Why not allow readers to post news, not news that would be put on the frontpage. More like a sub forum that is called "Rumors" or something like that? Or "RPGamer reader news" or whatever. I don't know if you guys have tried this before and it failed, but it sounds good in my head.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    omegabyte wrote: »
    No you can't. We've stopped accepting reader reviews due to a general lack of interest. Nobody was sending them and it wasn't worth maintaining a column when we were only receiving maybe one every 3 months. We may bring them back in the future once we figure out a solution, but until then, we won't be accepting reader reviews.

Ah. I learn something new everyday! Thank you for the update.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    nim22ama wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this for a time: Why not allow readers to post news, not news that would be put on the frontpage. More like a sub forum that is called "Rumors" or something like that? Or "RPGamer reader news" or whatever. I don't know if you guys have tried this before and it failed, but it sounds good in my head.

People already do that on the forums. The way we deal with it now is that if the forums get to the story before our newsies do, once it's posted on the index we simply close down the forum thread and redirect them to the latest updates one. It seems to work. There's nothing stopping anyone from posting news on the forums as it stands now.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I know.

In a "rumor" saction, more news could be posted. There are news that are not big enough for you guys to post. You can't post every single piece of news about every game. It is simply not possible, but mabye members would post news of minor things for rpgs they like.

As I said, this is just something I was thinking and it might not work out well at all.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Well there's a forum rule that says "Send news to news@rpgamer.com" I think we still have that one... This rule is not enforced currently. Talk to the admins if you think that should change...

Did you stop reviewing PC games due to general lack of interest? That'd be the day when the console guys can finally say "We won!" Does RPGamer review only console-like PC games (Recettear comes to mind)? Though Mount & Blade is decidedly not console-like, it was reviewed awhile ago. The policy might have changed since then. The other policy I know of is: RPGamer does not review free PC games at all. I can't say I can name a site that does though.

Anyway, read the Mount & Blade review, played it, had a good bit of fun.