If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2011 Completed Games List.

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Sacred 2: Fallen Angel [PS3]
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited March 2011
    KOS-MOS came through that reentry pretty darn well, just losing her face shield. Shion is a lot stronger than she looks, too, considering KOS-MOS is a machine and built like one, yet she was holding her with one hand. In other words, Xenosaga Episode 1 on the PS2 is done.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

I would normally have more completed during the first 3 months of the year, but I have college and that puts a damper on any real gaming I can do...besides portable gaming.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Terror of DeathTerror of Death Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Completed Ys Seven (PSP). The first and potentially only Ys game I'll ever play. I really don't like the idea of roaming around with only Adol. It just seems...lonely, I suppose. If they make another Ys game with party members then I'll play it. I'm still contemplating playing the earlier games, but the lack of party members really deters me.
    Xbox Live: Snowe Vingerhut
    PSN: Shinosuke_Nohara
    3DS: 0731-4978-8660
    Steam: Xepherpolis
    Feel free to add me! I'm always happy to make new RPG loving friends! :)
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Completed Ys Seven (PSP). The first and potentially only Ys game I'll ever play. I really don't like the idea of roaming around with only Adol. It just seems...lonely, I suppose. If they make another Ys game with party members then I'll play it. I'm still contemplating playing the earlier games, but the lack of party members really deters me.

Honest to god. I can't tell you how utterly opposite I feel as opposed to you. I am trying to choke down Ys Seven as we speak, and honestly? I can't stand it. I've played every Ys game to date and I've usually loved every second of them, but I can't take the party system in Seven. If I wanted to play a game where I switched between people, I'd play something else... Ys, to me, has always been about Adol's adventures.

I find it rather heartbreaking to have people say that they like the party system better.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited March 2011
    guys guys the somewhere is answer in the middle :Southpark:

Personally i find the whole party system a pretty negligible change really. More or less a slightly more fancy and diverse version of the multiple weapons you got during... Ark was it? i forget. Still haven't finished Seven myself, enjoyed what i've played of it so far but something seems off compared to the previous games, but i don't really think the party system is that big a part of it.

Maybe the fact they actually tried to develop a plot this time kinda threw me off.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited March 2011
    You've played Ys IV and V, Frozen? Not that it would be terribly difficult, but they've never been released outside Japan, so I just wondered. Especially when there are two Ys IV games.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited March 2011
    Honest to god. I can't tell you how utterly opposite I feel as opposed to you. I am trying to choke down Ys Seven as we speak, and honestly? I can't stand it. I've played every Ys game to date and I've usually loved every second of them, but I can't take the party system in Seven. If I wanted to play a game where I switched between people, I'd play something else... Ys, to me, has always been about Adol's adventures.

I find it rather heartbreaking to have people say that they like the party system better.
    Lots of people might just be like me and started with Ys Seven, so we've never had anything BUT a party system. Having gone backwards to Oath and the 1&2, I can see where you're coming from, but my experience was just the opposite.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Dragon Age II (PC)

*looks around*

I think I'm the first one here to finish it. Since I'm supposed to be a reviewer and all, and since I seem to have finished it before any other reviewer here, I guess I could write a review Saturday if I get bored enough. No promises.

If I'm being completely honest and assessing Dragon Age II relative to its peers, this is the worst BioWare game I've played since NWN, it's worse than any Bethesda game I've played, and worse than any Obsidian game I've played. Also, it was a blast and I played it start to finish in 4 days because I was having so much fun. If BioWare can pull this off on such a short development timeline, it bodes well for its future games which I hope take the great ideas from Dragon Age II give them an extra year's worth of design/dev attention next time.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Paradise Quest (PC), fuzzah.
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Dragon Age: Origins [PS3] Had plenty of fun with it even though my copy froze like crazy on me. Now to start DA: Awakening.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Atelier Annie [DS]
    This was a fun short game. I am glad to have seen the beginning of the Atelier series
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I finished Ys I & II Chronicles [PSP] today. Yes, both Ys I and II. I never played Ys II before. I referred to a walkthrough often due to lack of gaming skills.

ULTIMATE Ys II Final Boss Strategy (that I didn't see in the FAQs):
    Goddess Ring + Roda Fruit + Shield
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    You've played Ys IV and V, Frozen? Not that it would be terribly difficult, but they've never been released outside Japan, so I just wondered. Especially when there are two Ys IV games.

Anyway, I went on a Ys spree a couple years back before I started this list and played everything I could get my hands on. I played Oath in place of III though. I hate III... Anyway, I played and beat the Aeon Genesis translation of IV and I played part of V with a FAQ. I didn't like V all that much so I didn't really feel like I missed out on a lot when I put it down, I'm not sure if it was the language barrier or the fact that it just seemed so... generic to me, I'm not sure. Oddly enough, After I played that, I went on to play Napishtim, then Origins since it was the latest game in the series at the time. When I played Origins, I beat all three paths without putting it down for any length of time. So I must not have been into V all to be able to drop it as fast as I did.

Maybe it's the odd numbers, eh? I don't like 3, I didn't care for 5 and I'm not feeling 7.
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Lots of people might just be like me and started with Ys Seven, so we've never had anything BUT a party system. Having gone backwards to Oath and the 1&2, I can see where you're coming from, but my experience was just the opposite.

I understand, It just pains me when people constantly rave about the party system. But, to each their own, right?
    7thCircle wrote: »
    I think I'm the first one here to finish it. Since I'm supposed to be a reviewer and all, and since I seem to have finished it before any other reviewer here, I guess I could write a review Saturday if I get bored enough. No promises.

I beat it on friday. I've just been lazy about posting my beatings (ha!) here lately. Mainly, I just wanted to S-rank DAII before actually marking it off, since I know I'm gonna...
    If I'm being completely honest and assessing Dragon Age II relative to its peers, this is the worst BioWare game I've played since NWN, it's worse than any Bethesda game I've played, and worse than any Obsidian game I've played. Also, it was a blast and I played it start to finish in 4 days because I was having so much fun. If BioWare can pull this off on such a short development timeline, it bodes well for its future games which I hope take the great ideas from Dragon Age II give them an extra year's worth of design/dev attention next time.

That's pretty much how I feel. It may be the worst Bioware game that I've played, but I can honestly say that I've loved playing it.

Then again, I love love love Jade Empire and a lot of Bioware diehards hate it, sooooo...
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Confession - in spite of all its problems, I still love Jade Empire and wish they'd return to that. Unfortunately, since it has bright colors and non-Western settings, they'll never do it now.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Dragon Age II (PC)

*looks around*

I haven't finished it yet, but I kind of look at it a bit differently. I wouldn't say it's the WORST BioWare game ever; rather, it's the least polished. The core game design at play here is among the best they've put out, ever. If they'd worked on it for another year, like you said, fixing the rough edges like story pacing, level reuse, etc., it probably would have been the best game they've ever made.

At least it's stable (it's crashed once on me, and that was towards the end of a marathon 10 hour session), and they've made significant improvements from what I saw in December. They asked us not to discuss the technical side of things since the game wasn't finished yet, but in December, there were severe crash bugs that hit pretty much hourly.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Drawn: The Painted Tower (PC). It's out on a bunch of platforms if people want to try a hidden object game but want more adventure and puzzle to it.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2011
    LittleBigPlanet 2 [PS3]

Liked the first one a little bit more, but this one was also crazy fun. Will be playing online community levels on and off. I played the first game until LBP2 released and I hope I will be playing this a long time to come.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Another one slammed home!

3/14/2011 - Dead Space 2 (PS3) - Normal difficulty. A bit too combat-heavy. It's like they wanted people to bulk up in easy mode first, which I didn't do. Well, now that I'm all powered up, wait till the necromorphs get a load of me. :yes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ZerkerZerker Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I finished Ys I & II Chronicles [PSP] today. Yes, both Ys I and II. I never played Ys II before. I referred to a walkthrough often due to lack of gaming skills.

ULTIMATE Ys II Final Boss Strategy (that I didn't see in the FAQs):
    Goddess Ring + Roda Fruit + Shield

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm at the Mines in Ys 1 right now. I played it once on Master System, but it's nice to see the enhancements in this version. I'm confused though: are we tracking Ys 1 and 2 as one or two games? Most games in compilations were previously tracked separately, but Ys 1 and 2 are a bit closer together than most.
  • solosolo Dilettante Gamer Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I'm back from an extended period of work-craziness. In all this time, I've finished:

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (XBLIG)
    Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX (XBLA)

Breath of Death was wonderful and the perfect length. I'm counting Pac-Man as beaten because I've finished at least 5-minute mode on every level and somehow slid into a groove on time trial (currently top 250 on Championship II). I can't stop trying to climb up the leaderboards, particularly with the global rankings.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Dragon Age II (PC)

I am...conflicted. Never before have I had so much fun *playing* a game, and yet been left feeling so empty. It badly needed another year of development time, and struck me as horribly unfinished. After I beat it I was left feeling like I had just finished Xenosaga Episode I, except that XS had more closure.

It's sad. Early on my biggest gripe was all the obvious crap like reused environments and horribly designed encounters and such. There was a bit of a feeling of getting pulled along by the game and not making many choices, but things I did do started to come back a bit later on. It was still pretty obvious they hadn't had time to branch things off everywhere they needed to, but it wasn't TOO bad. Then Act 3 happened, and everything I had done before that meant absolutely nothing.

From that point on there was exactly one way the main plot was going to go, and everything I did or said relevant to that was retconned to something that supported the path I was getting dragged along. And the farther along I got the less sense it all made. By the time I was plowing through the final quest, even the encounters I was facing made absolutely no sense within the context of the scenario. The game took the time to plug its ears and sing lalala about what I'd done in the first two-thirds of the game just so it could railroad me into its predetermined track, and then turned around and threw things at me that made absolutely no sense within THAT track, either.

It seemed to me--and I could be wrong here, but I really don't think I am--that there was supposed to be a very serious branch in Act 3, and that act was supposed to play out pretty much entirely differently depending on which way you'd been going, and ultimately what you chose. Note that I'm not talking about the final battle or something here--I'm talking about the entire bloody act. I say this because I can trace the setup for what the path ended up being to series of choices I had made earlier in the game--both through characters that returned and things that were mentioned in conversation. The framework for the railroad appears to be very much in keeping with a specific set of choices, which is cool. Too bad it acted like I'd made them when I hadn't.

Then there were the encounters. It seemed to me like they had some sets of encounters for each path working, and just dropped them all in together. The problem is that they don't logically *work* together. One set in particular should only have existed if I had sided with the other faction. Because of what my support of the one faction was supposed to be meaning, and coupled with the quests that were apparently *supposed* to have multiple outcomes--and the likely result of favorable outcomes--one of the enemy sets should have been effectively locked out. Then it seemed like BW decided that they needed to justify having you fight against both enemy sets, so they ended up twisting one faction about in a manner completely inconsiderate to what the quests you were on were *supposed* to be doing. Wow, was it messy and horribly illogical.

And don't even get me started on character derailment and the defecating they did on some of their lore.

In the end, I feel like I got roughly half a game. Sure, I clocked almost 50 hours, but man, there was a ton of padding and not a huge amount of substance. It's like, they got the dungeon lengths right (as opposed to the several-hours-long ones in DAO), but then didn't have enough main plotline to come close to filling out a game so they had tons and tons of side stuff. Much of which was fun, don't get me wrong. It's just that the side stuff was the most satisfying part of the game to me, and that is so very, very wrong. Heck, I'd even be fine if I had the other half of Act 3.

Ultimately, I don't know that I'd say it was their worst game, but it's certainly vying for the title of least complete.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Pokemon Platinum (DS)

I finally went back and beat the Elite Four for the rematch round. Cynthia always knows how to make a fight... interesting.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Finished the main story to Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle (PSP) last night. Hoping to finish the 'Another Marona' ..thing today.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Ok, then this morning I completed Pokemon Black Version for the DS. ....Hmmm.... Not sure how far the rest of the staff is. Maybe I should do a review this Fri...
    edited March 2011
    I just completed PixelJunk Shooter (PSN), a very intuitive and intriguing game. I loved the fluid dynamics and the interactions between the different elements. None of the puzzles were particularly difficult, but the execution often required 4 or 5 attempts at a screen. Also, a soundtrack I would not have expected but that fit very well.
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Dragon Age 2(ps3) you have been bested. Had lots of fun playing a rogue.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    theharv00.png
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Octodad (PC)

Quick and quirky student project that had been sitting on my computer for a while after being featured on RPS. Forgot about it until the IGF competition during GDC mentioned it again so I figured it would be a good addition to the palette cleanser of indie games following Trauma Team. Not really challenging but it was fun learning how to control the character while performing the simple tasks required by the game.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited March 2011
    Just finished Limbo (XBLA). I found it fairly difficult, but, well, persistence had its own reward. I didn't find it particularly emotionally impacting, but I might be becoming a jaded old man.
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Haven't updated in awhile so guess I'll dump my recent progress and I don't remember the dates but I will just post them in order.

Radiant Historia DS
    Pokemon Black DS
    Dragon Age 2 PS3

I absolutely loved Radiant Historia, it is easily is my favorite RPG on the DS. Pokemon Black had enough new about it to keep me playing until the end but by the time the E4 rolled around I felt that all too familiar feeling I get when Pokemon gets repetitive and boring,
    Spoiler:
    and I even did the second E4 battle with the champion and beat Cynthia as well.

Dragon Age 2 was overall a great game and was well worth the money and time I put into it. Unfortunately though it was a major disappointment compared to Origins. It just felt rushed and much, much shorter. I put around 80 hours into my first Origins playthrough and didn't nearly finish the sidequests while it took me only 28 hours to beat Dragon Age 2 while completing almost all the side quests. This would have been fine if the story felt complete. Felt like I was at the climax of the story then, bam, credits. I had a "wtf" moment when that occurred. It feels as if they will deliver the other half of this game through overpriced DLC which is sad because it had so much potential if they just worked on it for another year.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
This discussion has been closed.