If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2011 Completed Games List.

Comments

• KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    Finished up Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War (PC) a few days ago, I really enjoy the game. So much fun, great units and they say some fantastic things..
    Heresy grows from idleness.
    It is better to die for the emperor, than to live for yourself
    etc.
    Now that I have the expansions, I'll be going through them at some point before replaying DoW 2 and trying the expansions. I really need to get through the Witcher first though and Catherine and Enslaved, Pokemans White, FFV Advance and Etrian Odyssey 3 ( I think that's all I have started, and Sakura Taisen, but the I don't have the PS2 hooked up since I sold the TV... so they're on hold.. Oh well.

Soon enough to get through these games... maybe before I'm 50...
    -Kel
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune [PS3]
    Lets see if I can blast through Uncharted 2 in 6 hours so that I can have them both beat before Uncharted 3 launches.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (DS). Played it about an hour a week for the last 6 months or so, making it the longest game I've ever played in terms of calendar time.

Best thing about the game: great localization.
    Worst thing about the game: that nothing else was great.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited October 2011
    Dragon Age II (Xbox 360) - Forgot to add this last week, but I finished off DAII and both DLCs. Not the horrible experience I had been let to believe by the internet, but not without some major flaws.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2011
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Dragon Age II (Xbox 360) - Forgot to add this last week, but I finished off DAII and both DLCs. Not the horrible experience I had been let to believe by the internet, but not without some major flaws.

Most of what I saw called the game disappointing in multiple ways, not horrible. The nice thing about reading how others are disappointed is that it changes your expectations and keeps you from being disappointed. Of course, I don't read crazy-people forums or BioWare's forums so I'm sure there was some unreasonable rage out there I'll never see.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    It's not that Dragon Age 2 was terrible-overall it's actually a decent game-but it's not a good follow-up to Dragon Age. I guess some people were more upset than usual because Mass Effect 2 was such a huge improvement over the original.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Finished up Super Mario RPG (WiiWare) last night. It was cute and fast paced and generally forgettable, I think. Glad I played it, but don't think I'll be going back to it anytime soon. That also makes me 10 for 10 in the "Year of..." list.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    It's not that Dragon Age 2 was terrible-overall it's actually a decent game-but it's not a good follow-up to Dragon Age. I guess some people were more upset than usual because Mass Effect 2 was such a huge improvement over the original.

I think the game was pretty bad, but this line of thought is probably partially true. The whole experience lacked polish and felt rushed. Which it no doubt was. I was astounded when I heard it's announcement so soon, and then it was on the shelf less than a year later.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    10/31/2011 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360). You know, I'd forgotten just how full of holes this game's story was. Lord, MW3 will have a hard time having a worse story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2011
    Just completed my one-day run of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1). I'm reminded why I DESPISE this game's difficulty, as it's hard as hell, even on easy mode! Oh the hells I would face if this was hard mode...
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2011
    Finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP) Took me awhile to get around to beating the last segment because I just wasn't into it anymore. Hopefully I can do the same with Tactics Ogre sometime too.

Overall I haven't felt this meh towards an RPG all year. The encounter rate was just way too high. Even though Estoma helped moderate this, it still made you fight lots of battles in short bursts. The game was also way too easy. Why even have a hard mode if it provides no challenge whatsoever? Combine that my healthy number of play-throughs of Eternal Punishment and I just wasn't experiencing anything worthwhile after the second half.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Beat Batman: Arkham City [360]

Updated the List.
  • Terror of DeathTerror of Death Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Tales of Destiny II (PS1)
    Xbox Live: Snowe Vingerhut
    PSN: Shinosuke_Nohara
    3DS: 0731-4978-8660
    Steam: Xepherpolis
    Feel free to add me! I'm always happy to make new RPG loving friends! :)
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Finished Breath of Fire 2(GBA) just cuz I needed something old to play. Also got platinum trophies in Dead Island, Dragon age 2, and Sly copper 1 for my PS3. Starting to work on the plat for Disgaea 4 now, and have ALOT of work to do for that. Forgot that I beat Grubbins on ice(PS3) expansion for Costume Quest.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    theharv00.png
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    I just finished The Darkness [360]. I love Starbreeze game. This and Riddick are some of my favorite FPS games ever. I cannot WAIT to see what they do for Syndicate early next year. So good.
    edited November 2011
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves [PS3] I enjoyed this game a lot more then the first one and even though the final boss fight was kinda dumb, I loved the ending. The dialog between Drake and Elena made me laugh.
    edited November 2011
    All righty, I used the latest update as an excuse to replay The Witcher 2 (PC) and choose the other path
    Spoiler:
    (Roche)
    . It was interesting how the storytelling and events Geralt witnesses are so different. Ultimately
    Spoiler:
    Iorveth's
    path felt like the more "right" one since it fleshed out everyone's background story and did a better job of making me feel less like a selfish jerk surrounded by even worse selfish jerks. The scene where
    Spoiler:
    the Blue Stripes are all hanging, dead and Ves was raped
    was pretty terrible,
    Spoiler:
    Stennis and Saskia
    died after 5 seconds of character development, and
    Spoiler:
    Phillipa
    doesn't even get 5 seconds of screen time. Still chose to
    Spoiler:
    kill Sile while smiling (my favorite gaming moment in 2011 and it felt just as good on the 2nd playthrough. I should make that an RPGamer award this year so this can win it) and again I just couldn't let Letho live.

I also went back in this thread and read all the spoiler tagged stuff because I didn't want to see what happened on the other path. Seems like everyone agrees that the
    Spoiler:
    Iorveth
    path is better.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    7thCircle wrote: »
    All righty, I used the latest update as an excuse to replay The Witcher 2 (PC) and choose the other path
    Spoiler:
    (Roche)
    . It was interesting how the storytelling and events Geralt witnesses are so different. Ultimately
    Spoiler:
    Iorveth's
    path felt like the more "right" one since it fleshed out everyone's background story and did a better job of making me feel less like a selfish jerk surrounded by even worse selfish jerks. The scene where
    Spoiler:
    the Blue Stripes are all hanging, dead and Ves was raped
    was pretty terrible,
    Spoiler:
    Stennis and Saskia
    died after 5 seconds of character development, and
    Spoiler:
    Phillipa
    doesn't even get 5 seconds of screen time. Still chose to
    Spoiler:
    kill Sile while smiling (my favorite gaming moment in 2011 and it felt just as good on the 2nd playthrough. I should make that an RPGamer award this year so this can win it) and again I just couldn't let Letho live.

I also went back in this thread and read all the spoiler tagged stuff because I didn't want to see what happened on the other path. Seems like everyone agrees that the
    Spoiler:
    Iorveth
    path is better.

Can we expect a review soon? Pretty please with sugar on top? :)
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Just finished Xenoblade for Wii. Had close to 120 hours on my file, :X. And that was with pressing the home button everytime I walked away. I intended to do EVERYTHING, but I decided to throw my OCDness to the side and just finish it. I had a done a lot already but there is still a lot of high-level stuff I could've done.

It's a great jRPG, there is no doubt about that, easily one of the best of the generation, only thing I wished was improved is the side-questing sometimes. Certain times you can complete a quest so easily, other times you are just searching for the person to give it back to and complete and sometimes just THAT takes forever. Other than that, it's just complaining there is too much to do. Also, the game is pretty long even just doing the main story and I appreciated the way they padded it. It could've been some Rogue Galaxy every-map-is-randomly-generated kinda-long or a Persona day-to-day trying to fill things into your pseudo-real life. I felt like it actually had a lot content to back up how long it was. I guess the way they did it is they made everything big in scope but that just made time for more exploration - if you wanted.

Anyway, yeah, I liked it. It was like FFXII on crack and with more control. Best of automated battle and controlled.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Just beat Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS). *Scratches the name off his list of video game landmarks to visit*

I... actually never finished the copy I had for the Gamecube (I stopped after hitting the Death Mountain section as a kid), so this was my first serious attempt at finishing. It was good, but I don't think the game really holds up as well as some people say. Maybe I'm getting old and modern games have spoiled me, but I really felt like the game didn't provide as much direction as I expected at certain times. While Navi would direct you to the general area you need to go for getting into a temple, once you're there you really didn't have much instruction in terms of where exactly to go or who to talk to. Not playing with a guide I think I spent a good chunk of time wandering around getting frustrated because I felt I had to read Miyamoto's mind or something. My gf helped a fair bit with sussing out some of the sequence of events I needed to do. I really didn't have nearly as much trouble with Twilight Princess, so I'm guessing this is just a relic of the game's age or something. Really felt at times like the game was expecting me to be following along with a hint book / FAQ and that's something I've been avoiding for quite some time unless I get really stuck. I acknowledge I could've used the Sheikah stones, but New SMB Wii pretty much nailed into my head that using the Super Hint functionality in Nintendo games is a double-edged sword and didn't want to risk any adverse side effects on my save.

The other minor gripe I have is the stealth sections, in particular Gerudo Fortress. I'm just awful at stealth and any game that doesn't let me fight my way out once I get caught doesn't mix well with me. I think I spent 2 hours trying to get through that before
    Spoiler:
    my gf pointed out I can use arrows instead of the longshot to stun the guards.
    Grahhhhhhh!

In short.... I enjoyed this but it never felt like the "OMG amazing" experience I was sort of expecting (or I was expected to expect). I think I would've had a different reaction if I had played it at launch (I really don't know why I don't have this on cartridge since I certainly had an N64 and all the other Zelda games at the time), but this wasn't a smooth ride for me and I think the frustration soured my opinion a bit.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360) done.

Excellent game, but a lot shorter than I was expecting/hoping. My approach for every level was faffing about with stealth/non-lethal until I screwed up majorly and shotgun/explosive-ammo revolver'd through the rest of the level. I'll have to try a purist non-lethal run sometime.
    edited November 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Just beat Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS).

I really felt like the game didn't provide as much direction as I expected at certain times. While Navi would direct you to the general area you need to go for getting into a temple, once you're there you really didn't have much instruction in terms of where exactly to go or who to talk to. ... I really didn't have nearly as much trouble with Twilight Princess, so I'm guessing this is just a relic of the game's age or something.

It's not you -- that's how Ocarina is. Remember that Zelda 1 and 2 were almost impossible without Nintendo Power or a hint book. Ocarina wasn't nearly as bad, but it's the last Zelda game that really made you spend/waste time enjoying/hating exploring the world at a leisurely/frustrating pace. I believe that's one of the reasons why it's considered the best Zelda by its fans. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess hold your hand like crazy and never have ah-ha moments where you figure something out. Everything you said is correct and fair, and if that made you dislike the game, that's fair too.

I'm in the opposite camp. I didn't like that WW and TP were so darned easy and literally told you exactly what to do at every moment of the game. It exposed the weak gameplay for me and made them boring. Ocarina had it's annoying moments, but I beat the whole thing without a guide in 1998 and it made me feel like a genius, figuring it all out. It was the last Zelda that felt like I was slowly exploring a new world, and I think it has the best balance between action segments, curious wandering, and puzzles. I've played it a few times since then and it still held up for me.
    edited November 2011
    7thCircle wrote: »
    It's not you -- that's how Ocarina is. Remember that Zelda 1 and 2 were almost impossible without Nintendo Power or a hint book. Ocarina wasn't nearly as bad, but it's the last Zelda game that really made you spend/waste time enjoying/hating exploring the world at a leisurely/frustrating pace. I believe that's one of the reasons why it's considered the best Zelda by its fans. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess hold your hand like crazy and never have ah-ha moments where you figure something out. Everything you said is correct and fair, and if that made you dislike the game, that's fair too.

The weird thing is that once I got into the dungeons I didn't have any trouble and I definitely had plenty of ah-ha moments solving those. The frustration came from actually getting there in some cases, although I don't think I had a ton of trouble with that part now that I think about it. What drove me nuts was Navi would highlight some part of the landscape or a pit in the dungeon like you're supposed to look at it, but there was never really any indication as to what you were supposed to do. Which baffles me because she'd highlight other things, you hit L/Z to target, and usually it gives you some sort of text message or something when you talk to her. The lack of consistency at times was irritating. I know most of this stuff was optional, but this started happening in the later dungeons and it was never made clear you were supposed to use the Song of Time (1 of about 40 possible options in your inventory) to make some blocks appear.

In general I don't have an issue with wandering around maps getting lost and stuff. I've had no trouble wandering around Deus Ex's levels looking around and exploring. So it's probably the Navi thing constantly happening which just hit the point where it became a major annoyance. Or I'm just being a massive grump.

I certainly didn't dislike the game, but it's weird that it didn't hook me as well as I expected. In hindsight, I probably should've been more willing to hit up GameFAQs or the Sheikah stones when I got stuck. When I wasn't frustrated with some of the quirks (ie. Navi) I was having a great time.

Oh, and in terms of where the hand-holding started, I think Link's Awakening did a pretty fair amount of it too.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2011
    Fate/Extra (PSP)

I had such a blast with this game, and I enjoyed everything about it, from the gameplay and story to the characters. I feel this is a worthy addition to the Fate universe, and I encourage other fans of the Fate/Stay Night VN to either rent or buy this game and play it. You won't be disappointed.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Credits rolling on Solatorobo (DS). Really fun little game, it's amazing that CyberConnect2 has gone from the god-awful original .hack series to this level of quality in just eight years. I think I still like .hack//G.U. better, but then, the scope of that series is far beyond this little gem. Still, well worth picking up, even if it is a bit too easy.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited November 2011
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360) - I'm done with the main quest and am continuing to finish up lots and lots of side quests. Can't say more until Thursday, I'm afraid.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360) - I'm done with the main quest and am continuing to finish up lots and lots of side quests. Can't say more until Thursday, I'm afraid.

Can't even get a yay/nay on it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited November 2011
    Can't even get a yay/nay on it?
    I'll say this. I've been playing it for days and will still be playing it for many more after finishing the main story. I was not really hyped about this, because I wasn't a huge Oblivion fan. I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so I figured I would definitely give this a shot and am glad I did.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2011
    The non-TES appeal is quite strong with Skyrim. I'll be getting into that at some point, just not this year (or probably next either).

Anyways, finished up Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii) with the girlfriend today. Was fun (it felt at times like Kirby's Adventure Part Deux), but I think Epic Yarn was a better co-op experience. Still a good platformer although it runs a bit on the shorter side like most Kirby games.

Looking forward to getting my own copy when I get home and going single player in Extra Mode and gathering cogs.
    edited November 2011
    Uncharted 3 [PS3] Easily my game of the year so far.
This discussion has been closed.