If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2011 Completed Games List.

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    The non-TES appeal is quite strong with Skyrim. I'll be getting into that at some point, just not this year (or probably next either).

Yeah, a review I read for it was written by a guy who also hated Oblivion but loved Fallout 3. Puts it on the same level as New Vegas, albeit better looking with more exciting moments and an overall better feel. Can't say for sure whethor or not the review is legit, the major website that linked it claims it is, but it sounds like Skyrim has adopted and evolved Fallout's perk system (you don't so much unlock perks as you collect them and assign them to Perk slots). You still have to improve skills, but the main purpose of doing that is to unlock Perk Slots (mostly used for specializing your character). HP and Magicka improve based on your choices at level up rather than stats (yay! No more mad rush to improve Endurance). Sounds like Skyrim addressed many of the common complaints that way. No word on the item scaling though.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    No word on the item scaling though.
    I played Oblivion, but honestly I didn't put a lot of time into it. What are you referring to as far as item scaling?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2011
    I assume he means the special effects of equipment scaling with your level.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness(Game Cube)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    I survived The Oregon Trail (iOS)!
    edited November 2011
    I assume he means the special effects of equipment scaling with your level.

Yeah, a lot of people were annoyed with how you need to wait until Lv.20+ before you can acquire the best gear: otherwise, the stats. scale down and the item becomes outdated way too quickly, plus some items are subject to weirdness that cause the final stats to be randomized regardless of your level. You could just make better defensive gear utilizing exploits, but there isn't much fun in that and very good weapon enchants often have too few charges.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, a lot of people were annoyed with how you need to wait until Lv.20+ before you can acquire the best gear: otherwise, the stats. scale down and the item becomes outdated way too quickly, plus some items are subject to weirdness that cause the final stats to be randomized regardless of your level. You could just make better defensive gear utilizing exploits, but there isn't much fun in that and very good weapon enchants often have too few charges.

Wasn't that more linked to the enemy scaling? They kept the enemies at your level, and with it the gear you found off of them. Basically if you took your time levelling so you weren't overpowered at high levels, you were stuck with low-tier items for weeks because that's what the enemy had.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited November 2011
    Wasn't that more linked to the enemy scaling?

I can't agree with that because so much of the best gear is found through quests and other means unrelated to enemy levels, plus vampires are always so well armed (one vampire lair and you're all geared up). The annoyance comes in finding a good weapon or spell from some early quest you can't avoid and discovering that item could have been so much better if you waited until around Lv.25. You feel like you can't do any quests until 20 or so lest you "waste" good gear and finding something to do for 20 levels can be very boring if you're not new to the game.
    In contrast, rare and powerful items in Fallout 3/NV are either very good finds or exceptionally powerful depending on your skills and perks and higher levels just make those items even more powerful. Making a run for a good item in those games was fun because the reward doesn't diminish over time. It's even more satisfying when the item is hidden in a dangerous location.

Things change at 35+ in Oblivion because enemies suddenly become a whole lot harder to kill, so in that sense, enemy scaling is an issue, but only because gear stops improving at that point. If you didn't wait until high levels to collect the good stuff, you're forced to get creative with enchantments. Anyway, based on the comments and mods. I've seen, waiting before you can collect the good stuff was the issue there, not so much creature levels.

The enemy scaling thing had to do more with people believing they should own everything at higher levels, or how enemies in some areas should be weaker or stronger...or something. I didn't pay much attention to complaints regarding enemy scaling. I like finding a challenge at all levels, plus a couple good weapon enchants and you can kill everything. Enemies don't become stupidly tough until around Lv.40, but you rarely have reason to play beyond Lv.30 and I'm pretty sure you're expected to utilize companions at 40+. I once played every single quest in the game with once character and I couldn't reach 40.

Anywho, Skyrim is around the corner, so no need to debate Oblivion anymore. I'm sure someone will find something in Skyrim to whine about, heh.

Back on topic...uh...well, I finished my MDK run in Oblivion. Not as much fun as I expected. You can't kill most government officials and citizens are easily dispatched with the Frenzy spell (funny as hell though; beat the Whodunnit? quest in about 20 seconds that way, heh heh)
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited November 2011
    Seeing two endings probably makes SaGa Frontier (PS1) count. I'll shoot for finishing Red's story too, then I'm done.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2011
    The enemy scaling thing had to do more with people believing they should own everything at higher levels, or how enemies in some areas should be weaker or stronger...or something. I didn't pay much attention to complaints regarding enemy scaling.
    Always finding enemies that are balanced for your level doesn't make sense in a game that's otherwise designed to simulate a relatively realistic fantasy world.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited November 2011
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    Seeing two endings probably makes SaGa Frontier (PS1) count. I'll shoot for finishing Red's story too, then I'm done.
    I can't belive I did all story of that game, did have a lot of fun with it, red is the one I had most fun with!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited November 2011
    I'll shoot for finishing Red's story too, then I'm done.

Aww, at least give that robot dude's story a run. It's pretty cool.
    Always finding enemies that are balanced for your level doesn't make sense in a game that's otherwise designed to simulate a relatively realistic fantasy world.

This is a perfect example of why I didn't pay much attention to complaints about enemy scaling, but if you don't have anything nice to say and all that...

But I do have to say this: realistic fantasy? Seriously?
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2011
    As in, there is a day-night cycle, NPC schedules, an attempt to simulate an economy etc.
    edited November 2011
    11/8/2011 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360) - Hardened difficulty. An absolute gem of a campaign, and ties up the loose ends quite nicely. I can honestly say that this is the moment where IW rises above the egos of West and Zampella.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time [PS3]
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Finished up the Battlefield 3 Campaign [PC] and it was bland. There were two amazinlgy fun sequences, but they weren't even foot combat, and sniping was fun, but otherwise, let the multi-player reign supreme.

-Kel
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Age of Zombies [PSN]
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Two Worlds II (PC)
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    After 83 hours I have finally completed Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny [PS3], and sadly only about 20 of those hours were actually fun. I got so many glitches, slowdown in combat, that it made playing this game less fun as time went on. Please expect our review within the next week or so.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2011
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3) is done.

Well, it was what I expected for the most part, but not quite on par with Uncharted 2. In particular, I felt the aiming was really bad. Hard to tell if it was just me, but I can't remember the last time I had this much trouble shooting an enemy in a third-person shooter, and certainly don't remember having this grievance with 2. The puzzles were an improvement though. I felt they were more creative and less time consuming. Platforming, while not quite as fun as it was in 2 for whatever reason, avoided those crappy segments where you didn't know where to begin or couldn't quite make out the next destination. An excellent rental to be sure.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Finished Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [X360] up just now. Was a good time. While a bit on the short side, I really enjoyed the explosive finale to the Modern Warfare series. Weird to think that I might actually enjoy the Call of Duty series. At least the ones not set in WWII.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited November 2011
    From Dust (XBLA)

An interesting, addictive little gem. Some of the later levels erred a little too far to the "frustration" side of challenging , but all in all a worthwhile experience.
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Final Fantasy IV(PSP) Beat the main game, will move on to interlude after I mess with Skyrim tomorrow.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    theharv00.png
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2011
    Rolled the credits on Sonic Generations (Xbox360) by beating the final boss. Only completed about half the challenges though. City Escape, Speed Highway, and Crisis City were my favorite areas.

One of the best Sonic games since Adventure 2 for sure. Short, sweet, and practically every main stage was good fun for both Sonics. If they can make the next installment feel less like a random assortment of levels, then Sonic may start to get some love again.
    edited November 2011
    Finished Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [X360] up just now. Was a good time. While a bit on the short side, I really enjoyed the explosive finale to the Modern Warfare series. Weird to think that I might actually enjoy the Call of Duty series. At least the ones not set in WWII.

I don't get the hate for WWII, really. Yeah, it was a bit overused (especially Normandy... Jeebus...), but it's a good enough setting with guns that are fun to play with and unrelenting enemies. Good enough FPS fodder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    I don't get the hate for WWII, really. Yeah, it was a bit overused (especially Normandy... Jeebus...), but it's a good enough setting with guns that are fun to play with and unrelenting enemies. Good enough FPS fodder.

Probably has something to do with the fact that there are a dozen other wars that don't get used at all. Vietnam's been used what, once? Twice? Where are the World War I games? How about Korea? Hell, get really old school and hit up the Civil War. I would actually play a shooter based in the Civil War, in a heartbeat.

But I'm jaded. I don't credit war shooters with an overabundance of creativity.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited November 2011
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Probably has something to do with the fact that there are a dozen other wars that don't get used at all. Vietnam's been used what, once? Twice? Where are the World War I games? How about Korea? Hell, get really old school and hit up the Civil War. I would actually play a shooter based in the Civil War, in a heartbeat.

But I'm jaded. I don't credit war shooters with an overabundance of creativity.

Well, the Korean War is basically just WWII again, owing to many of the same weapons being involved. As for Vietnam, there have been 27 games to feature the war (25 if you don't want to include Bad Company 2 or Magicka). As for the Civil War... Not sure, really... That sounds like it'd be pretty damned boring, what with muskets being what they are... Really, if you're going realistic, you really can't go earlier than the Wild West if you still want a good shooting experience. For some reason, WWI is dominated by flight sims, which seems odder than average considering WWII had some pretty awesome dogfight planes too.

That being said, I do with there were more areas of WWII that were explored. The Pacific Theater is woefully lacking, as is the Eastern Front, and no one's done anything with the Soviet invasion of Manchuria and other Japanese puppet states. There's lots of room in the setting if people get off the Normandy bandwagon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited November 2011
    How to make a World War I FPS: sit around for weeks with nothing but snipers and artillery fire leading to unavoidable, invisible kills constantly. Then join a massive assault over the top and get mowed down with thousands of others by machine guns.
    Admittedly going somewhere else than the Western Front could result in something interesting. Except for Lawrence of Arabia, the destruction of the Turks as an empire in Arabia gets glossed over. Or go to the Eastern front (which could use some more WWII games, frankly), or even be with the British troops bringing the Germans to bay in equatorial Africa. The Western Front, though? Not much of a game.
    As for the US Civil War, assuming you can get around the need to reload after every shot and take thirty seconds doing it, something could be done. There were some weapons with faster rates of fire after all, or maybe just being a a cavalryman could do the job.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    How to make a World War I FPS: sit around for weeks with nothing but snipers and artillery fire leading to unavoidable, invisible kills constantly. Then join a massive assault over the top and get mowed down with thousands of others by machine guns.
    Admittedly going somewhere else than the Western Front could result in something interesting. Except for Lawrence of Arabia, the destruction of the Turks as an empire in Arabia gets glossed over. Or go to the Eastern front (which could use some more WWII games, frankly), or even be with the British troops bringing the Germans to bay in equatorial Africa. The Western Front, though? Not much of a game.
    As for the US Civil War, assuming you can get around the need to reload after every shot and take thirty seconds doing it, something could be done. There were some weapons with faster rates of fire after all, or maybe just being a a cavalryman could do the job.

Well that's the whole reason I would love to see a shooter set in the civil war. The designers would have to completely rethink traditional shooter design conventions because of the nature of the technology at the time. It would be a unique experience. Something NEW.
    As for Vietnam, there have been 27 games to feature the war (25 if you don't want to include Bad Company 2 or Magicka).

And World War II almost matches that with just Medal of Honor and Call of Duty BY THEMSELVES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_video_games
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Honestly, it's not really a hate thing for WWII, I'm just tired of the scenery there. That's really the only thing that I meant... No hate, just boredom.
This discussion has been closed.