If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2011 Completed Games List.

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    I'll still call Brave Story the best original PSP game in the Charming JRPG genre, but The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky was fun. Contrary to the normal opinion, I preferred the more personal slice-of-life plot stuff in the first half of the game over the less interesting Evil Mastermind plot stuff in the second half. I was glad the game ended with the personal stuff.

EDIT:
    Has anyone beaten Dark Souls? FB updated recently and I don't see it on his list, and it isn't in the staff list. I know a couple people who pre-ordered it and they've both abandoned it. Is it being seen as a disappointment or is it just too awesome to complete quickly?
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited November 2011
    128 hours (Give or take, considering reloads and what not.) and one beautiful S-rank later, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [360] is complete! So so so so so good. Every bit my Game of the Year.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2011
    7thCircle wrote: »
    EDIT:
    Has anyone beaten Dark Souls? FB updated recently and I don't see it on his list, and it isn't in the staff list. I know a couple people who pre-ordered it and they've both abandoned it. Is it being seen as a disappointment or is it just too awesome to complete quickly?

I've put a heck of a lot of hours into it but haven't beaten it for some reason (I keep restarting to try new characters)

I like it more than Demon's Souls overall, but its endgame is significantly worse than it's beginning.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Been busy:

Catherine (PS3)

Really enjoyed it. Don't think I've played a game quite like it. I got stuck on a couple puzzles, but (mostly) enjoyed the challenge. The story was great. A good mix of linear and your own choices. Even though it was Atlus, and I've played P3, P4 & Nocturne, I didn't expect
    Spoiler:
    the story to twist fully into the supernatural realm. Even with the dreams being a supernatural element! The tension/drama between Vincent and both Catherine's was so grounded in real problems that the dreams were just in the background... until the revelation about Boss.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

This one's been on the backlog for quite a while. Finally decided to take another crack at it, and it proved well worth the effort. The story was fantastic and the characters were well written. The battles were fun and challenging, though sometimes frustrating. All elements of the presentation really enhanced this game. Loved the visuals, music and voice acting (even each of the auxiliary squad members had a distinct - and sometimes hilarious - personality). Might be one to keep in the collection for a replay down the road.

Atom Zombie Smasher (Mac)

Played through this a while ago, but it's pretty short, so I almost didn't count it. A fun, quick pseudo-RTS that's pretty easy to jump into and out of.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Just finished skyward sword (WII)and it was awesome,one of my fave gams this year, last boss quite easy
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited November 2011
    EDIT:
    I'm fairly sure I would have by now if I hadn't lost my first character's save file at around the 50 hr mark. I'm at 35 hrs on my new game and much farther along progress wise. Practice makes a big difference. I have every intention of going straight into new game+ as soon as I finish so it's a success in my book. The patch that hit the other day did a good job cleaning up the few annoyances I had with it like target switching difficulties too.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Saints Row: The third(PS3) you have been defeated and were a most enjoyable time. Gotta start a new game on it and get the last trophy for the platinum.

Platinum for Saints Row:The Third has been achieved.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    theharv00.png
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2011
    I too have now finished Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Xbox360). For a game called Revelations, there sure weren't too many answers to be had.

Honestly, I think this might be the worst console Assassin's Creed. Its been a long while since I played the first game, but this just might be worse. Sure, the gameplay wasn't that fun. However, I remember being very interested in the characters and story that was crafted in the first. They should have just scrapped Ezio in favor of another ancestor or give Altair another chance at the spotlight. Speaking of him, the flashback segments of Altair didn't really match the impression I got of him from the codex pages. Characters like Abbas and Altair's son fell flat and just didn't seem to add anything significantly interesting. The city of Constantinople was dull to put it lightly, and didn't seem to hold nearly as many secrets as the previous games. The tailor color selection kind of sucked too. There were some fun cinematic sequences, but it wasn't nearly enough to make up for all the shortcomings. Hopefully Assassin's Creed 3 is just as big an improvement from Revelations as 2 was over 1.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Finished the story missions for the Those Who Understand route on Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (PS3), which had credits so I'm counting it as complete. Not sure I liked the way 3 handled the "story" or whatever there was of it, much prefer the way 2 did it. Imagine it changes for different teams but eh, no real desire to find out how much.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    I'll still call Brave Story the best original PSP game in the Charming JRPG genre, but The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky was fun. Contrary to the normal opinion, I preferred the more personal slice-of-life plot stuff in the first half of the game over the less interesting Evil Mastermind plot stuff in the second half. I was glad the game ended with the personal stuff.

EDIT:

It's structure ruined it for me. I stopped playing long ago. Just wasn't fun backtracking all the time anymore.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Polished off The Baconing [PSN]. It made me smile a lot even though I find the formula is getting a bit old. Keep in mind, I still haven't played Things of Virtue yet, but I find DeathSpank for me is a feel good game (mostly for the laughs) when I am feeling down. Fun times!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2011
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    finished Vanguard Bandits (PS1) via the PSN today. did the kingdom route and I will play it again to do the empire route. I enjoyed it now as much as I had back when I first played it.
    How long was one path?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited November 2011
    Fossil Fighters: Champions (DS). I deliberately didn't spend as much time cruising around, getting tons of fossils, at least compared to the first game. I still ended up with a lot of them.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2011
    I'll go ahead and offer up Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Xbox360) to the list. I've beaten arcade mode with plenty of characters, done most of the missions for characters whose title or gameplay I was interested in, and most importantly played a heck of alot of online matches (though not even close to as many as I had in regular MvC3). If anyone wants to play I'd be happy to.

For whatever reason the game was just a step down to me. The new characters have mostly unique playstyles, but didn't add too much to the game other than nearly every player picking Vergil. Nerfs advertised to old characters other than maybe Phoenix hasn't really stopped anyone from picking the same old characters like Wesker. To make things worse, fairly big nerfs were handed to people like She-Hulk and Tron who didn't really need them, and crap characters are still bad. Less hyper meter in general is less fun, and the lag is much worse than it used to be. What might have been my GOTY has fallen a spot or two.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Macstorm wrote: »
    How long was one path?

Each path is 20 battles.
    edited November 2011
    My nephew and I finally polished off Kirby's Epic Yarn [Wii] after months of on and off play. It's certainly a great game to play with him and he did a great job at being a very good helper. Looking forward to play the next Kirby game with him.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA) is now beaten. Will probably return later next year for some Job grinding and tackling the bonus dungeon. Great game although the last few bosses were a bit annoying (as is typical for the series). Final party was Bartz/Lenna as melee Freelancers while Krile/Faris brought the magic as Mimes. Both pairs had a number of the basic jobs mastered for their archtypes which was very handy to have. Sadly I didn't have anything awesome like dualcast or quadshot going into the final dungeon which would've helped a ton.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Gave inFamous (PS3) a whirl while waiting for the games I bought last week to arrive in the mail. The combat controls were great, although the godly-accurate enemies were not-so-fun. I thought the open world action controls were terrible. I'll appreciate Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations that much more when I play it soon. You won't hear me complain about anti-aliasing often, but it was very distracting to me all game. Excluding Rockstar and New Vegas, it was the buggiest game I've played in years. Overall, it reminded me that action games generally annoy and/or bore me, and Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum are exceptions.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Gave inFamous (PS3) a whirl while waiting for the games I bought last week to arrive in the mail. The combat controls were great, although the godly-accurate enemies were not-so-fun. I thought the open world action controls were terrible. I'll appreciate Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations that much more when I play it soon. You won't hear me complain about anti-aliasing often, but it was very distracting to me all game. Excluding Rockstar and New Vegas, it was the buggiest game I've played in years. Overall, it reminded me that action games generally annoy and/or bore me, and Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum are exceptions.

Action games require a fair bit of polish to really be terrific. I picked it up for free when the PSN got hacked, didn't really care for it much. Many of the same complaints you had.
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Tales of the Abyss [PS2]
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Finished Darksiders on the XBox 360. It's a good game but not as good as the series it tries to emulate: God of War
    edited November 2011
    Lassic wrote: »
    Finished Darksiders on the XBox 360. It's a good game but not as good as the series it tries to emulate: God of War

Darksiders has more in common with Zelda than God of War, actually.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Rolled credits on Suikoden (PSX). The battle system was forgettable (mostly due to ease), but I loved the mature storyline. I especially liked the way the game handled death and that there were good and bad people on both sides of the conflict. Looking forward to playing the other at some point next year maybe. That also makes me 11 of 11 in the "Year of" marathon. Really looking forward to jumping into Skies of Arcadia again.
    edited November 2011
    Polished off Final Fight: DblImpact [XBLA]. Beat the game as Cody, but I need to go back as Guy and Haggar. I still haven't tried Magic Sword yet, but I am sure I'll give it a whirl soon! :)
    edited November 2011
    So, I finished Saints Row: The Third [360] just a few moments ago, and I'm looking at the achievement list that I have remaining (Like, 6 or 7, max) and I'm honestly not sure that I care about the rest to try and get them. It was a fun game and all, It just felt a little long in the tooth near the end... Which is shocking to me, since I only played it for 31 hours. Contrast that to Skyrim, Which I played for well over 130 hours (Yeah, 100 hours MORE then SR:TT) and still never felt sick of it. Honestly, I could start a new character tomorrow in Skyrim and play through it the game again, just for fun. Saints Row, however, prolly won't see the inside of my 360 for a long while.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Batman: Arkham City (360). I liked the feel, narrower focus, and smaller gadget selection of the first game.
    It was a fun game and all, It just felt a little long in the tooth near the end... Which is shocking to me, since I only played it for 31 hours.

Is it a good rent-to-beat game? I generally don't like open world crime games, but I hear the missions are unconventional and goofy fun, and I am kind of looking forward to going through the whole game with Zombie speak enabled. I don't care about the side missions.
    edited December 2011
    Just finished up The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii). Terrific game, despite a few issues which I'll bring up in my review. Watch for it tomorrow, I'll try my best to get it ready for then.
    edited December 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Is it a good rent-to-beat game? I generally don't like open world crime games, but I hear the missions are unconventional and goofy fun, and I am kind of looking forward to going through the whole game with Zombie speak enabled. I don't care about the side missions.
    Rental? Oh for sure! It's actually a great game and I had a lot of fun with it, I just got burnt out on it by the time that I was done. There are a lot of `HOLY ****` moments in the game, which is rad. You could probably blaze through the game in a day or two without doing any of the side stuff. I enjoyed my time in Steelport, but at the end I was more then ready to leave, you know?

---

Wrapping up a 100% completion on Infamous: Festival of Blood [PS3] (Would you still call it Platinum if it doesn't have a Platinum trophy attached?). Quite the fun little morsel of a game. I love open world games, but sometimes you just want to hang out in a small open area and I feel like this fit the bill just right for me. I played most of it before Skyrim came out and decided that I should knock it out before Assassin's Creed: Revelations grabs a hold of me this weekend. Glad I did, was really enjoyable if a bit frustrating.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    Finished Heroes of Hellas 3: Athens (PC), including getting all 90 laurels. Awesome, awesome match 3, can't wait for the next one.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited December 2011
    What's the good thing about working night duty in a quiet night duty area? Passing Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
This discussion has been closed.