If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2011 Completed Games List.

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Completed The 3rd Birthday [PSP].

Seriously, I need a beer after that one. Big time.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Nyx wrote: »
    Completed The 3rd Birthday [PSP].

Seriously, I need a beer after that one. Big time.

Feeling like James?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    LordKaiser wrote: »
    Feeling like James?

I have an eight letter word for this game that I won't write on this forum, but it's a favourite word of James, the Angry Video Game Nerd.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Ruminant fecal matter?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I finished Beyond Good and Evil HD [XBLA] just now. So... Uh... Ok? This is the game that people have been calling an underrated gem...? Phew. I don't know what even to say about it. The camera was god-awful in and of itself, couple that with the fact that you can't change the x or y axis individually, something that SHOULD have been updated... The story, while good, was mostly predicable... The visuals were tired even for a last-gen game... The combat was a huge pain in the *** what with the disc throwing and trying to get pictures of monsters and all, added into a very stiff one button combo system... All the challenge in the game came from the awful camera and the stiff combat.

I enjoyed the game for what it was, I did. And I can see a ton of potential in the series. I just have some really major gripes with how some of the design decisions were handled and I cant, for the life of me, understand why people fawn over this game like they do. Maybe because I didn't play it back in the heyday of it's arrival, I don't have the proper prescription Nostalgia Goggles on. But, I just don't get it. I didn't really feel that it did anything too special and yet, when people talk about it, they cream themselves.

I'll chalk it up to `Just one of those things`, I suppose.

Oh. And I S-ranked it too.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Nim wrote: »
    Grotesque tactics [PC]

I recommend this if you like funny games, at least I thought the jokes were funny.

I've been waiting for this one to go on Steam sale for a little while. Looks like a game I might enjoy, but this is the first I've heard anyone say about it. I assume the writing is good, but how is the actual gameplay?
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Xenosaga: Episode I - Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)

Well, that's done. I probably will end up plugging in Ep II this weekend, even though it's getting put on hold once I get my hands on Dragon Age II.

I have to say...I picked up on so many more things this time that I didn't catch last time around. This is definitely a multiple playthrough series.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2011
    redwing42 wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this one to go on Steam sale for a little while. Looks like a game I might enjoy, but this is the first I've heard anyone say about it. I assume the writing is good, but how is the actual gameplay?

The writing: I like all the references thrown around, and the fact this is a not so serious. The writing is good enough and I did chuckle more than a few times.

Gameplay: It's rather simplistic at first glance, but you could easily die if you are not careful. The fights are turn based, and every character gets two skills. So it's not about using 800 different skills and more about unit placement. You only get one designated healer, so you need to be careful with that unit. You do get some equipment, and you have to buy some of it, and potions come in handy. There is an "Obsession" counter that works like this.
    Drake: when his obsession counter fills, he gets stronger during that period, but it is followed by a few turns where he is depressed(weaker).
    When The Semidivine Humble Self fills his, he needs to tell stories about his previous adventures, making everyone in his vicinity to fall asleep, friend and foe.
    If your healer gets hit while her Obsession bar is full, she will get mad and smack the closest friendly unit.
    After a battle is done, you can freely search the battle location for all the remaining chests.
    And last, you can change difficulty at any time. I played the entire game on Normal.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited March 2011
    3/4/11: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
    Forget finishing the first trilogy by the time Specter's Flute hits... can I finish it by the time Black and White hits? Stay tuned, true believers!
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited March 2011
    King Abdul wrote: »
    Also, I have Alpha Protocol (PS3) listed on my completed games list. That is incorrect as I've never played Alpha Protocol. Thanks.

That may have been my Alpha Protocol (PS3) you were credited with, actually. As I posted it on 1-21-11, but it's not listed on my completed games. Same username letter, and all.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Sacrifice (PC) The go-to single-sitting game I play about once/year. Third playthrough in a row where Charnel was left standing, although I got there three completely different ways.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Stacking [PS3]

Good design with fairly simple but fun gameplay. Finding all solutions for every mission can be a headscratchet, but oh, the joy when you figure them out. Think I had 61% completion. Will go back and 100% it when my backlog shrinks.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    I finished Beyond Good and Evil HD [XBLA] just now. So... Uh... Ok? This is the game that people have been calling an underrated gem...? Phew. I don't know what even to say about it. The camera was god-awful in and of itself, couple that with the fact that you can't change the x or y axis individually, something that SHOULD have been updated... The story, while good, was mostly predicable... The visuals were tired even for a last-gen game... The combat was a huge pain in the *** what with the disc throwing and trying to get pictures of monsters and all, added into a very stiff one button combo system... All the challenge in the game came from the awful camera and the stiff combat.

I enjoyed the game for what it was, I did. And I can see a ton of potential in the series. I just have some really major gripes with how some of the design decisions were handled and I cant, for the life of me, understand why people fawn over this game like they do. Maybe because I didn't play it back in the heyday of it's arrival, I don't have the proper prescription Nostalgia Goggles on. But, I just don't get it. I didn't really feel that it did anything too special and yet, when people talk about it, they cream themselves.

I'll chalk it up to `Just one of those things`, I suppose.

Oh. And I S-ranked it too.

Well keep in mind that the game was released back in 2003. It's over seven years old now, and at the time it was a very unique game. Stealth/Adventure hybrids hadn't really been perfected yet (no Assassin's Creed back then, the closest comparison would have been the stealth sections in Zelda games) The picture-taking element was probably what sold it for most people; not many games sport photography as a gameplay element.

I didn't finish it when I first played it (like you, I saw many problems with the game). But I have to admit, the concept was gold, even if the execution was a little rough around the edges. I still have my PS2 copy in my collection, but haven't broken it out in a long while.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • PrinnyPrinny Killer Penguin Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Prinny reporting in!

SNES - Final Fantasy II (4), Super Metroid, Secret of Mana
    PSX - Castlevania SOTN
    360 - Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean TLH, Castlevania LOS, Castlevania HD, Star Wars TFU:2, Assassins Creed 2,
    PS3 - 3D Dot Game Heroes, Disgaea 3
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited March 2011
    3/5/11: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)
    I won't deny that it got a little dusty at Casa du Shaymin come the end of it. And yes, I had nothing better to do yesterday.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I beat Scott Pilgrim for XBLA last week. Lagged on reporting it because the game felt so short.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Dragon Age: Origins (PC)

Call me a slowbe, it's even my original main character. Yes, I've been spoiled to death by now, but I arranged the ending how I liked. Or as close as I could.

Working on Awakening next and honestly, if Anders wasn't so awesome, I'd probably have stopped by now.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Yes, Awakenings is a big step down from Origins. It did have some ok moments, but overall it was totally unforgettable and easy. Anders had his moments.
    edited March 2011
    And his kitty.
    edited March 2011
    I dunno. I actually really liked Awakening...

Then again, it was just more Dragon Age, Which I'm a flat out sucker for anyway... So I guess I can't say too much.
    edited March 2011
    I just want some more meat to it, really. Some of the new companions are interesting (yes, not just Anders), and I'd like to get to know them more, but there's no actual dialog trees for them aside from world-based locations. I like some of the new skill lines (Decoy is my new best friend), but the game isn't rebalanced to accommodate them, so they're a bit superfluous. It feels like it needed a little more time to be a full-fledged expansion.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of Slowbies... I finished Dead Space (X360). What a fantastic game. Challenging enough (even on Normal) that it maintained its super-creepiness. Nothing spoils a horror game faster than being overpowered, and I thought the game was very well balanced. Guess I should start working on DA:O again myself now...
    edited March 2011
    That's a good point, actually. Makes sense to me. I did feel it was kind of stilted in the character development section and all. I guess that didn't matter to me as much though since I went on to play every single expansion after that and not a single one of them had even a lick of development outside of Leiliana's Song and even then, that only showed a little bit of Leiliana's past before ending up at the chantry and didn't even give a definitive conclusion to her story...

I dunno. I think I'm an addict.
    edited March 2011
    Heh, I've actually skipped most of the DLC. I heard Witch Hunt was awful and didn't actually resolve the plot surrounding Morrigan, so I've held off on it for now since cash is a bit tight. I'm hoping to wrap Awakening before the sequel drops, though I may fall just short of it.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I just finished Beyond Good and Evil HD...and I'm in Frozen's boat. The game is loaded with dumb design decisions and technical shortcomings. The story, supposedly the game's best trait, I found to be just "okay", and hardly worthy of being "one of the greatest ever!" as so many claim (not even when compared to other games at the time). I will go one step further and say the game is "lame". I honestly feel like I wasted $10.

Nier was a much better ride, and if you're looking for cool puzzle-solving games on Arcade, I suggest Braid and Limbo.
    I heard Witch Hunt was awful and didn't actually resolve the plot surrounding Morrigan

Um...yes and no. More like it gives you a good idea of what she was trying to do without giving away what her plans are in the future. It's a bridge plot. You need to have played the game in a very specific way to get Morrigan to give you meaningful answers (ie. you need maximum favour from her). The DLC is crap, so I say watch it on YouTube and try to find one where the player gets the "best" answers from Morrigan. I can imagine some of her answers being necessary to answer future questions in the storyline.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Woot! Another one done.

3/7/2011 - Dead Space: Extraction (PS3 via Dead Space 2) - Normal difficulty. Fun little light gun game, but not THAT distinctive against other games in the genre. Interestingly enough, it suggests
    Spoiler:
    Weller is the necromorph in the end
    , but isn't he the star of Severed? On a side note about Dead Space in general, they're really trying to outdo the "evil church" thing that JRPGs have used with the whole Unitology thing. It really is beaten into your head hardcore in Extraction and what I've played of 2 so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. He is. Weird.
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Yesterday I finished up Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for the 360. It had fun combat, but the voice acting was iffy and the story started cool and just got really really crazy and rushed at the end I though Act 4 and 5 specifically. Granted it came out in 2006, but it's UGLY, the character portraits are ugly for ps2 games, much less a HD console. The limited inventory was also a bad idea. There's really no incentive to mix and match characters. My team of Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and Deadpool never really had issues. There's a good handful of bugs, but overall it's a fun action RPG and I would play the sequel, but I'm not really interested in paying for DLC that you can't get anymore since Activision took it down.

-Kel
  • ZerkerZerker Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    So I just finished Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PC) via co-op play and... I WANT MORE. It was awesome. Considering the DLC packs, but I'll have to see how much are in them.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Finished Bulletstorm (PS3) earlier today.

Fun game for sure, and certainly one of the most different shooters I've ever played. The 2nd half especially was super fun when the player finally access to all the guns and charges. Reminded me of a western FPS take on Vanquish or Bayonetta, and it succeeded mostly. Would have loved to see some split-screen Co-op.
This discussion has been closed.