If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Staff Review - Torchlight

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited March 2011 in Latest Updates
Can a point and click crawler work on the XBLA? When it's so easy that you can play with your feet while blindfolded, yes it can. See if the latest RPGamer review of a surprisingly divisive Diablo clone agrees with the PC reviews, or makes a new path through the dungeon.

Review
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    FWIW, I think I adored TL for the same reason I really liked Fable: I don't frequently play PC RPGs so I'm not all "been there done that." I sort of get though if the novelty wasn't there why the game would feel average.
  • gdawgtukgdawgtuk Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I definitely agree about the lack of tutorial. Its as if playing Diablo 2 is a required prerequisite to this game.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited March 2011
    gdawgtuk wrote: »
    I definitely agree about the lack of tutorial. Its as if playing Diablo 2 is a required prerequisite to this game.
    Agreed. If i didn't play the PC demo, I would have been far more confused about the whole experience.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    gdawgtuk wrote: »

The review was running long so I never explicitly stated it, but it did occur to me that Torchlight has a bit of an identity problem. On one hand, it tosses terms from Diablo 2 at you like you've seen them before without explaining what they mean. On the other hand, the game is so easy and so unoriginal that I would think anyone who adored Diablo 2 would be left feeling disappointed by it. I'm not sure who the target audience is exactly, which is where I wound up settling on the itch analogy for those who are familiar with the genre. I do think it's a tricky game to objectively assess, and I can see why every staff member here who played it on PC seems to have come away with a different opinion of it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited March 2011
    Well, to be honest this game is more like Diablo I than anything else. Look to Torchlight II for more of a Diablo II experience.

Oh and Ken Levine loves Torchlight! So Runic games is BioShock approved.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2011
    7thCircle wrote: »
    The review was running long so I never explicitly stated it, but it did occur to me that Torchlight has a bit of an identity problem.

XBLA version also lacks the mod pipeline which probably was it's biggest selling point aside from being one of the stronger Diablo clones to to come out in recent memory.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    This review is much more in line with my feelings on the PC version than the initial review was.
    risingsun wrote: »
    Well, to be honest this game is more like Diablo I than anything else. Look to Torchlight II for more of a Diablo II experience..

I'm not so sure about that last part. Adding multiplayer is a critical addition to the game, but based on what I've seen, there's not much else that will be new. I was initially interested in seeing how adding wide open outdoor areas like those in Diablo II would alter the gameplay, but in every gameplay video I've seen, the outdoor areas are anything but wide open. They're just corridors with outdoor environmental graphics instead of dungeon graphics.
    edited March 2011
    Azilis wrote: »
    This review is much more in line with my feelings on the PC version than the initial review was.

I'm not so sure about that last part. Adding multiplayer is a critical addition to the game, but based on what I've seen, there's not much else that will be new. I was initially interested in seeing how adding wide open outdoor areas like those in Diablo II would alter the gameplay, but in every gameplay video I've seen, the outdoor areas are anything but wide open. They're just corridors with outdoor environmental graphics instead of dungeon graphics.

I say wait till E3 or closer to release until you make that call. They haven't even really shown off any of the overhauled gameplay additions, the character classes in any real depth, new pets and unique pet abilities, or really much else of the game. I have been reading a lot of interviews and faqs about changes from TL1 to TL2. If they implement even half of their goals it will still be a substantially better game.

But when most people say its like going from D1 to D2, they mean in terms of size, improvements, overworld, more towns, refinements, multiplayer, etc. Basically a bigger better game.
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    The overworld was the biggest non-multiplayer improvement I was looking for, but like I mentioned, it just looks like outdoor corridors (fenced pathways, paths between mountains, unclimbable hills). I think they've only been showing off one of the outdoor environment tilesets, so I hope the others are more open, but I'm guessing that design philosophy will carry over throughout the entire overworld. I was hoping at the very least for something like Diablo II's overworld with wide open areas, even if they're simplistic. It makes for a nice change of pace from the cramped, confined dungeons.

You're right, though, that it's too early to call.