If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tech demo from Tri-Ace (looking good)

124»

Comments

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2011
    But this looks almost like PS3/360 graphics. Maybe the 3DS can stand against the NGP after all. BTW the girl looks like a teenager around 15 years old.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    I definitely see the Ico inspiration that others are seeing, but its reminding me of Fragile Dreams too. It's got that whole "alone in a fallen civilization vibe". Hopefully it's as atmospheric as the screens make it look.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited April 2011
    tri-Ace always did games one generation newer looking than other developers for the same console. :p
  • TheLegendaryZoltanTheLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    What's all this nonsense about Tri-Ace making TWO games for protable consoles? Blah. I'm very happy for all the PSP and 3DS owners but come on! Where's the PS3 players' love? A Star Ocean video is only a start yo!
    Like JRPGs?
    Want to hear a JRPG podcast that actually has a unique format?
    Check out Turn Based Memories!
    edited May 2011
    I appear that PC gaming and console gaming is both almost dead.

Except for MMORPGs, they will rise on a new level this year.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Joke post, right?
    edited May 2011
    Nope, it's true.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    Nope, it's true.

No, just no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited May 2011
    Which part do you doubt? That console gaming is dead (non-handheld), that PC gaming is dead or that MMORPG will rise on a next level this year?
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I doubt all of them. This is the first generation with 3 consoles selling over 50 million units. That alone tells me that console gaming is healthy. Then I look at all the great games coming out in the next 6-12 months, and I see again why console gaming isn't dying.

PC gaming isn't dead. There are lots of games being released that never releases on console. Then we have the indie scene that seems healthier than ever.

On the MMORPG front, what game*, other than World of Warcraft has been a smash hit?

*MMORPGs released after World of Warcraft.
    edited May 2011
    Well for console gaming I look at it like this:
    How many games I wanted to buy (in a store) usually have been released per year: about 20
    How many games I wanted to buy (in a store) have been released the past 12 months: 0
    How many games I would have played if they were for consoles have been released for handhelds: 40
    How often has tri-Ace released a console RPG per year: about 1
    What did tri-Ace release the past 12 month or at least did announce for consoles: nothing at all
    How many games were released for the Wii per month a year ago: 10
    How many games are released for the Wii this month: 3
    How many of those games are even remotely enjoyable: 0
    Console gaming dead. Handhelds get all the good stuff. =(
    If it wasn't for XBLA I wouldn't have bought anything the past 12 months.

For PC gaming I look at it like this:
    How many games did I buy my father at amazing per year: About 10
    How many games did I find that I could buy for my father the past 12 months: 0
    What are the next game releases for PC displayed on Amazon: Mainly weird simulators, puzzle games, and "picture search" games
    Totally dead. I admit that indie games become better and more popular, though.

As for MMORPGs:
    How were MMORPGs up to today: They all suck big times and are just money and time wasters that aren't any fun to play, especially if you don't like PVP. Only exception: Ragnarok Online
    Upcoming MMORPGs (in Europe): Vindictus, Dragon Nest, Blade & Soul, TERA
    --> MUST HAVE
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Ah, got it. Console and PC gaming are dead because YOU don't want to buy games on them this year.
  • TheLegendaryZoltanTheLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Yeah but unfortunately I have similar opinions to Rya. Hahaha. Even though I'm always checking out this site lately, I actually find very little news that relates to me because there just aren't very many RPGs coming out on PS3 these days. Lame!

Anyway, I had an idea about the whole "blurry focus on the camera" effect used in games lately. To be honest, I don't care if it's realistic, I'd like there to be crystal-clear focus from here all the way to the horizon in games. Nothing is better than being able to spot enemies or items in the far off distance. And I like to be able to see everything even if that isn't realistic. Am I the only one interested in that?
    Like JRPGs?
    Want to hear a JRPG podcast that actually has a unique format?
    Check out Turn Based Memories!
    edited May 2011
    Nope, I'm on your side, Zoltan. :-)
    I like it like in for example Aion, that you can even see the smallest detail on the far away mountain.
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    The tone/feel of that video sends me good vibes about the kind of Star Ocean game it would be a teaser for, if it were pitched as a teaser trailer for a new Star Ocean game I'd feel more excited about it than the last one made me feel when it was being developed! Too bad it's just a tech demo, right?

Oh, and yeah, VERY pretty video. One of my nitpicks about SO3 and SO4 was how unnatural the character animation had been, the animation in this demo was very smooth and natural to me, and I liked the lighting and effects too.

Lastly, on a bit of a tangent, the sight of what looks like someone restoring the old broken-down Calnus (that was the Calnus right?) made me flash back to that episode of Cowboy Bebop where the guy Spike got his ride from is restoring the Space Shuttle Columbia (a moment of silence here for the crew of STS-107). That was actually one of my favorite Cowboy Bebop episodes, and it only got more poignant for me after the tragedy of the real-life Columbia. Forming that association in me probably skews my view of this video a smidge, in a good way.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001