If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

want an FF7 remake? Kojima goes to bat for us

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Reviving Aeris would be as narrative negating as resurrecting Tidus, surely they wouldn't be that stu- Oh ... :(
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2011
    Reviving Aeris would be as narrative negating as resurrecting Tidus, surely they wouldn't be that stu- Oh ... :(

Yes, because it's not like his revival was foreshadowed after the credits...
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited May 2011
    If there where a FFX movie like Advent Children and shows a dead Tidus then there would be a problem.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited May 2011
    A two hour cgi movie of Tidus simply floating face down in the ocean with bullet holes in him, surrounded by a blood pool would be pretty cool. Also, toss that fruit cake vaan from ff12 in there too.

Anyhoo, Aeris sort of has to stay dead, because Zach is her true love interest, and when she dies, she and Zach are reunited. They are together protecting the planet from within the life stream. Thematically, it's just meant to be. She's meant to be gone forever.
    sup?
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I don't mind including Aeris' revival as an easter egg, it would be a cool touch after all the silly theories that popped up all over if one them would actually work. Aeris has to die though, the whole plot and character development hinges on it and the game would lose much of its emotional impact if she didn't. If a fictional story makes you sad it just means it's really, really good, putting a happy end in there would ruin it. I was one of the people who were teary-eyed when she died and I'm grateful to Square for giving me such a powerful experience.
  • Keviger66Keviger66 New Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I'd rather play FF VIII-2 than FF VII-2.I also wish that I can join the development team for FF8-2,but I have to keep dreaming!:heart:
  • DarkAlmasyDarkAlmasy Brionac Full Members
    edited August 2011
    A graphical revamp would be nice, one of the major problems I had with the game was that I couldn't tell where I was going most of the time, or what I was running into. I liked the story, and the gameplay was typical of an ATB battle system, but the graphics man, the graphics. It's old, I get it, I just don't like the style. And before anyone tries to flame me for hating on it about dated graphics, Suikoden is my favorite game of all time.
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will make me kill you."
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I wouldn't change anything about FFVII's graphics.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    If Square Enix doesn't want to spend the enormous budget of next gen development for a FFVII remake, I'd settle for a high res 2-D sprite remake on the 3DS or Vita.

Please... please no low poly models.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • DarkAlmasyDarkAlmasy Brionac Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I want to see it in the form they made the Tech Demo for the PS3 originally.
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will make me kill you."
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I just find it sad that more than anything else, fans don't want a new ip or game. They want an old game remade shinier.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Rebochan wrote: »
    I just find it sad that more than anything else, fans don't want a new ip or game. They want an old game remade shinier.

Well, this is what happens when you build a company around nostalgia. I'll give Square this much, though, aside from the Compilation, they haven't exactly been milking the 7 legacy as hard. In that, they deserve more sympathy than Nintendo or Sega.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited August 2011
    Or Activision, though I suppose 2003 isn't as nostalgic as 1996.

At least I refuse to acknowledge it as nostalgic! I'm not THAT old yet!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2011

Fans are picky and hard to please. If you just follow the UT series, you see a lot of the same complaints leveraged each game, and UT has been effectively remade twice now and each iteration gets a worse reception from the base.

When you break it down, fan demands are conflicting to the point of being hypocrtical. We say we want new experiences, yet annual iterations of the same franchises routinely top the charts. We say graphics don't matter, but most of the marketing panders to us with screenshots showing of how the new engine renders metal surfaces 5% shinier than the last. We say we want mature stories where the player is treated like an adult, yet the industry still thinks "mature" and "adult" are synonymous with "boobs" and curse words. The list goes on.
    Or Microsoft.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited August 2011
    HALO'S TEN?!

Oh god, I am the living mummy.
    edited August 2011
    HALO'S TEN?!

Oh god, I am the living mummy.

You are not...unless you remember the day Pac-Man came out.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited August 2011
    Zelda and Metroid are both 25. Kingdom Hearts is 10 in about 6 months? Next year marks 25 years of Final Fantasy... in Japan.

As for the topic at hand, I'd still rather see an HD version of VII that's not full 3D or a 16-bit demake. Most importantly, I just want an improved translation.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I'm sure one of those will be the tech demo for the Luminous Engine, spawning another round of remake rumors :P
    edited August 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Zelda and Metroid are both 25. Kingdom Hearts is 10 in about 6 months? Next year marks 25 years of Final Fantasy... in Japan.

As for the topic at hand, I'd still rather see an HD version of VIII that's not full 3D or a 16-bit demake. Most importantly, I just want an improved translation.
    But why would you want to stop kursing SEED?
    edited August 2011
    I'm sure one of those will be the tech demo for the Luminous Engine, spawning another round of remake rumors :P

FFX no doubt.
    But why would you want to stop kursing SEED?

Sorry, I was off by a digit :p
    edited August 2011

At least I refuse to acknowledge it as nostalgic! I'm not THAT old yet!

Not even 2003. Call of Duty's FF7 moment was in 2007 with MW1. And Activision is, if nothing else, more than willing to cut stuff that isn't working and move on to the next thing when needed.
    shoptroll wrote:
    Or Microsoft.

Well, to be fair, it's not like the fandom was banging down the door to have Halo 1 remade. Honestly, I'm surprised it's not Halo 2 getting the treatment, as that was basically the game that put XBL on the map. Hell, while I'm glad to see Anniversary come out, I can't remember anyone asking for it, and certainly not going up into nerdgasmic frenzy at the thought of such a remake the way the FF7 people do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    If the H1 remake sells, I wouldn't be surprised to see an H2 remake so that all the Halo games are on the 360. That almost seems kind of like the goal there.
    edited August 2011
    If the H1 remake sells, I wouldn't be surprised to see an H2 remake so that all the Halo games are on the 360. That almost seems kind of like the goal there.

Considering the lengths people were going to keep the original Live system running so they could keep playing Halo 2? I wouldn't doubt it at all.

EDIT:
    Well, to be fair, it's not like the fandom was banging down the door to have Halo 1 remade. Honestly, I'm surprised it's not Halo 2 getting the treatment, as that was basically the game that put XBL on the map. Hell, while I'm glad to see Anniversary come out, I can't remember anyone asking for it, and certainly not going up into nerdgasmic frenzy at the thought of such a remake the way the FF7 people do.

Well that's how I feel about most of Nintendo's remakes. The difference is that Nintendo has a much larger body of work than MS, so I guess the perception is a lot more pronounced?
    edited August 2011
    It's still mindblowing that nobody else begs for a single game to be remade quite like FF7 though. Not even other FF titles.
    edited August 2011
    shoptroll wrote:
    Well that's how I feel about most of Nintendo's remakes. The difference is that Nintendo has a much larger body of work than MS, so I guess the perception is a lot more pronounced?

Well, there's also the nature of the fanbase. People on the Xbox'll buy them a ton of games outside of what MS makes, whereas the prevailing perception of Nintendo's fanbase is that they're very reluctant to go outside of the mascot wheelhouse. It's a much more conservative group that way.
    Rebochan wrote:
    It's still mindblowing that nobody else begs for a single game to be remade quite like FF7 though. Not even other FF titles.

Yeah, I don't get it. There's plenty of new stuff going on, both in and out of the FF series. A 1996 RPG can't be the only thing desired by that many friggin' people.

That said, Square Enix was more than willing to exploit these people for a while with the Compilation. You can't rely on nostalgia one moment without prepping for nostalgia to bite you in the *** the next. Look at Nintendo and Sega, milking nostalgia left and right and then surprised when they can't sell anything new...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011

Everyone remembers their first.
    edited August 2011
    I've been pretty fine without an FF6 remake. Not that I wouldn't welcome it, but I'd rather something new.

Even the Compilation was actual NEW content that fleshed out the universe - it wasn't just FF7 with shiny graphics.
    edited August 2011
    To be fair, FF7 has pretty ugly field models (like most PSX games at the time). That's really all that needs to be improved alongside the translation. But it's certainly not worth redoing in full 3D like the PS3 tech demo.
    edited September 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Everyone remembers their first.

My friggin' first was Dragon Warrior, as it was for lots of people my age, and there's never been that much of a clamor for a full-on remake of that one... Granted the Dragon Quest crowd is more... Resistant to change of any sort, but still...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2011
    My friggin' first was Dragon Warrior, as it was for lots of people my age, and there's never been that much of a clamor for a full-on remake of that one... Granted the Dragon Quest crowd is more... Resistant to change of any sort, but still...

Dragon Quest has also been remade a number of times. Not as a fully-fledged HD power remake, but it's certainly gotten its fair share of fresh coats of paint.