If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Hallum: Legacy of the Moon Slayer

Comments

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited June 2011

Division B

"Ouch!! That's got to hurt!" screamed Charlie.

"The Auctorita of Time has made short work of this match," Lenore said, with a slight giggle.

"Please, honey, leave to puns to the master. This fight was quite explosive! R'lyeh easily handled the two women fighting against him. Nothing less of a two-time champion. We are going on a short break! Round 2 coming up by the half-hour!" Charlie and Lenora signed off, and the remaining fighters were taken to the waiting room. A medic attended to Nina and Luna, who were banged up after all of those explosions. Another medic attended to Eycopefield.

As time passed by, the four were ushered back out. "And we're back folks!" roared Charlie.

"We've got exciting news. The first battle of Round 2 will be..."

"R'lyeh versus Janet!"

"Please take your places opposite to each other in the ring," Lenore requested.

Division A

"Welcome back, everyone," said the mayor. "Sorry for the delay; we've never had such a painful ending to a round, but the medics have worked their magic. With Pinyana gone, will the new dark horse Jeane steal the show?"

"The first battle of Round 2 will be Jeane versus Lobo," Pearlie announced. "Please take your places and begin."

Division C

"Hello everyone," Digna welcomed everyone back. "Round 2 is now underway."

"The first one-on-one match of the division will be Eraclease versus Romarh," announced Kimber. "Get started whenever you two are ready."

Division D

"Greetings, everyone," said Dr. William. "Round 2 is about to begin."

"This match should be exciting. The two volleyed back a short series of fancy combinations. Let's see what they'll have in store for us in Round 2: Enrica vs. Adrastos!" Jessi squealed.

((Decided to go with a random number generator... And... somehow... I am not in a single one of these fights. Freaky. Guess this means I get a break... Of course, this also means I have to do four one-on-one fights later! Good luck everyone. I'll still act as a sort of referee.))
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Riley got lucky in that first fight. When Enrica shot her torrent, there wasn't too much that Riley could do, because he was in the air, and in mid-swing. His shot at James failed, but the resulting knockback was enough to disorient him and save his life. If James hadn't gone down when he did, Riley probably would have been the one dead. At the moment, he was signing autographs. Of course, his fans would still stick by him and look past his mistakes, but he couldn't afford to make another one.
    So close...And yet so far...
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Vendetta was glad that there was a break. He was even more glad when he found out that Jeane was fighting Lobo. However, he realized this meant he would have to fight Nina, a thought which didn't please him at all. He would have much preferred fighting one of those two over the assassin. He decided to go backstage and attempt to figure out what was wrong with DiCat. He figured her trigger was broken, which he would have to return to his hotel to fix, given that he left his maintenance tools there. He also noticed that her mana-link was broken, so she was not a viable mana tank anymore. He would have to ration mana very carefully for this fight and rely on his spirit to help him in any way it could.

As Eyecopefield was defeated, Janet's attack hit R'lyeh's helmet. It did manage to short-circuit the LED display, but the helmet was still intact and, due to its composition, did little damage to the Phoenix. He was glad that the fight had ended, as he much preferred to fight in one-on-one. "Sand, Ice, Nature, Electric, and space, judging that she got that shot behind me..." He thought to himself, remembering Janet's attacks. As the diplomat stepped back into the ring, he remembered that it was usually his policy to ask if the opponent wished to surrender. However, given that his lights were on the fritz, he decided that he would simply have to skip the request and go directly to fighting. He presumed at some level Janet would not surrender, anyways.

As Janet entered the ring and the fight began, R'lyeh took a more calm approach. He watched Janet intently for any signs of action as he moved around the stage, giving hand motions as though he were poking the air.
  • InsaneWhisperInsaneWhisper Better dig your heels in Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Before re-entering the ring Janet recast Plot. As she walked in she eyed R'lyeh closely. 'Something's up with that helmet,' she thought to herself, 'it's clearly not metal, and whatever it is, it's strong.' So far she could tell he had a Metal spirit from the way he continued to pull weapons out of himself and something was clearly keeping him from passing out due to anemia. That combined with the explosions and what might have been him controlling Luna's blood lead her to conclude that he must have a Raw spirit too. 'Going to have to keep my distance from him if I can,' she thought before stopping in the arena. It was hard for her to tell without seeing his face, but he seemed to be waiting for her to do something. She debated for a moment and decided she would wait too. She didn't want to do anything unnecessary that he could take advantage of.
  • ShethSheth Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Jeane hadn't said much to Marie in their brief chat but a polite word of thanks. It was the kind of recognition she'd entered the tournament for in the first place, but she was somewhat offput by the phrase 'weapons,' as well. She remembered her first tests with the devices, using them for arbitrary tasks - the stark contrast to the blowout in the last match. She had the card; the offer was there. She forgot about it for the meantime when she heard her next round announcement.

Lobo hadn't done much but help hand her victory by distracting Nina in the previous round, but she wasn't nearly as concerned with him as she was Nina. He'd done just enough to give her an idea of how she might try to deal with him this round. He'd used duplicate, so he's a tractus mage. I would safely assume he could use Tractus, like Nina, and just take advantage of casting speed from the get-go. She couldn't afford to be as cautious as her plans for dealing with Nina, after losing one of her triggers in the previous attack, but she settled on a similar strategy. As soon as the round commenced, Jeane flagged Lobo with a Mirror spell from her right arm's supply, to hamper his attempts of advancing on her in a Tractus. She quickly flashed an image to Lobo's mind suggesting a follow up attack behind the "blinding screen" the mirror created. Her psychic spirit was a ploy meant to trick Lobo into abandoning his position very quickly, since his backward movement wasn't hampered from the mirror spell. She followed up with a Hurricane sweep from the ring on her index finger. Figuring that Lobo might fall for her psychic suggestion and start backing up, she was sure she could quickly force the werewolf out of the ring, her intent from the get-go.

As soon as the gust finished, Jeane threw out the last spell she'd kept in her index finger's supply. She'd captured a full nine seconds of Harbringer of Destruction with the direct intent of keeping Lobo from returning to the ring before a time-out sealed her victory.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    R'lyeh eventually made his way across a sizable portion of the arena before finally returning to one side of it. He then began his attack, instantly a particularly loud explosion was set off behind Janet some 10 feet, with the explosions working their way toward her. These explosions, like the ones at the end of the last fight, were of lethal intensity, and were made to still hurt her even through her armor, and cause death if she didn't do anything about it. He kept his gaze fixated on the assassin, observing what she would do.
    edited June 2011
    Though shocked by the loud noise of the explosion, it didn't surprise her nearly as much as it would have had she not been expecting something like it to happen. She instinctively threw up Void Globe again debating on the best way to counter-attack. Quickly making up her mind she grit her teeth and cast Velocit
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Enrica stood across from Adrastos, having a virtual staring contest with the man. She'd honestly expected him to make the first move given his overly aggressive personality. Nevertheless if he was going to take his sweet time then Enrica would simply use it to finish her preparations. "From what I know of metaphysics, it's likely the reason that combination worked is because of Riley's magic based water. In theory, this shouldn't be completely eradicated if he decides to bring it out again.......In theory at least." The mermaid never took her eyes off Adrastos, expecting him to pull something at the drop of a hat. "So far the only weapons he's used are those grenades so it seems he deals primarily in long range. Nevertheless he's still a dragon so getting close might just be suicide." Enrica continued to go over the various battle strategies mulling over in her head, opting finally to stick with her usual reactive plan. The thousand gallon globe circling behind Enrica shifted, fully enveloping the young beauty. In not time at all she had again resumed her aqua form, heftily boosting her already incredible speed. "Your move, dragon."
    que?
  • KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited June 2011
    "More water. ****." However, as far as Adrastos knew, this water was not magic, and would therefore have less of an impact on him. "Fish ***** will kill my Raikens soon as I toss 'em . . . Guess I'll handle this the old-fashioned way." He gave his knuckles a loud crack, and the now recognizable haze of Revenge Aura rose up from his body. The dragon plodded toward the globe of water, prepared to do some noodling.
    edited June 2011
    ".....Is he serious?" Enrica thought to herself as the dragon slowly jogged towards her. "He can't expect to actually reach me like that can he?" Try as she might, Enrica simply couldn't understand Adrastos' logic at this point. "Very well. If he wishes to seal his fate I won't stop him." The merwoman extended her palm towards Adrastos, causing her aquatic sphere to stretch out and surround the dragon. "That's it....come closer....just a little closer....." Enrica waited patiently until Adrastos was within 60 feet of her before shooting off like a rocket through the water. At speed rivaling that of an enlil, Enrica swarmed behind the dragon, activating her combination almost instantly. "Divinus Torrent!!" From near point blank range the mermaid fired her strongest combination towards the dragon's backside. Ever prepared for a counter attack though, Enrica immediately exited her aquatic bubble, skidding to a halt some 40 feet away from Adrastos.
    que?
    edited June 2011
    When R'lyeh woke up from Zero he wasn't sure what had happened, he was lying on the ground from the shockwaves, and he deduced some space magic must have been involved. However, the sound of one of his planted explosions cued him in. He noticed Janet, who had been thrown aside by the blast and was wounded. When it began to hail, he set off his own explosions and set himself ablaze as he stood up, so as to nullify the effects of the annoying ice. He then turned to Janet and began to control her body from within, an easier feat for him now that she was bleeding. He forcefully dragged her body out of the arena. He intended to hold her there until the ten-count ended.
  • ZaleraZalera Death Seraph Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Lobo grabbed on to the floor with his claws to hold his position. But it wasn't enough. He was only a few inches away from the ring's edge. "'Twould seem I have to fight this battle defensively. I can't just go charging in. If she wanted to, she could kill me anytime." Lobo thought to himself. He saw an incoming attack but won't be able to dodge because of the powerful wind. Lobo decided to try and counter. "Shock Pulse!" Lobo shouted.
    The attack had broken the barrier Jeane had set up in front of him. "Damn it! I used my most powerful combination to destroy an illusion?! It will be impossible to use it again without passing out!" Lobo waited for the gust to end. Once it was over, he got up.

"Maybe this is a good time to use Horror. It doesn't matter if she resists it after a couple of seconds. That's all I need anyway."

Lobo then used Horror on Jeane. Whatever she feared the most would appear in her mind. It could be spiders or fire, anything that can harm her, physically, emotionally or psychologically. "As soon as the hallucinations start, I'll get close to her then finish her off with Shock Pulse. At close range, it can most likely kill her. If not, the next best thing it would do is incapacitate her. I just hope I don't pass out after using it a second time. If she survives, It's over for me."
    edited June 2011

Division B

"That was quick," Charlie said, as the ten second countdown on Janet concluded.

"R'lyeh is powerful," Lenore reminded her co-host.

"True enough," he sighed. "Maybe the next fight will last a bit longer. Please welcome back to the stage Luna and Trenzattimus! Trenzattimus ended the battle last time with his Auctoritae. Luna displayed an interesting ability to punch out R'lyeh's spiritual explosions but can her Ou Ryu leave a dent on magic? If I was Trenzattimus, I'd be praying around now."

"Even if she can handle those Auctoritae, Trenzattimus briefly hinted at his defensive skills. I'd like to see him dance circles around little Luna."

Luna entered the ring, confident. "Don't know jack about these Aucto-things, but magic is magic. I know I can destroy it, same as spirits, even if I've had less experience dealing with magic users. Just hope he doesn't try some long-range jackassery. She then declared to Trez, "Get ready to fight. Oh, and please fight like a man!" She yelled as she took her fighting stance.

"Begin!" roared Charlie.

Luna wasted no time in trying to close the gap between them. She was twice as fast as Trez, but the young man still had plenty of time to summon up some Auctoritae before she could reach him.
  • CaffeineCrazedCaffeineCrazed Nope Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Eraclease decided to begin his match similar to how he ended his last one. He stopped time to run around the man, and as he let time resume, he threw two knives at the him, aiming for the back of his left knee and the center of his back.
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    As the fight began, Romarh took a defensive stance. "Artisan's--" The veteran was froze mid-cast as time stopped. He finished his spell as Eraclease threw his knives. "--Mold." A spherical barrier appeared around him, narrowly blocking the projectiles. The knives clattered to the floor.

Romarh turned, startled at Eraclease's sudden move. "He didn't use anything like that in the last match. He's too young to be able to cast silently, so it must be a spirit." Romarh began preparing Spiritus Gemma, planning to counter Eraclease's next spirit with the sealing spell.

((Sorry about that.))
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
  • DuceDuce Now in Lemon Flavor Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Trez took his place in the ring across from Luna. While he was slightly worried about the girl’s odd cancellation ability, he was quite relieved that he would have the chance to closely examine a powerful woman’s fighting style.

“Fight like a man?” Trez said, drawing his foil and dropping into his stance. “But of course! What kind of man doesn’t know dance with his lady?”

As the fight started, Trez was once again surprised by his opponent’s speed. Despite catching a glimpse of it last match, it was different having that speed charge directly at him.

“A runner again? In that case, this time we’ll go with…”

“John!” Trez called into the air, “Time to get rolling!”

A silver haired auctoritae with shocking blue eyes appeared in front of Trez. In an instant, he scanned the battlefield and noticed the charging Luna. With a crack like lightning he shot toward Luna. As soon as began his dash, John swiped his hand through the air, sending bolts of electricity flying towards the young woman. These weren’t necessarily meant to hit Luna, but it would certainly be a bonus if they did. They were really meant to distract the girl and throw her off balance for John’s scythe attack. As soon as he got into range, John swung his scythe diagonally down at Luna, aiming to enter just below her right shoulder and exit on the other side of her body.

Trez meanwhile had danced back to the end of the ring. He moved gracefully around the edges, watching for what kind of moves Luna would use to fight John. Trez knew Luna was the faster of the two of them, but becoming more familiar with her style would make her attacks easier to dodge. Trez also knew that there was a possibility that Luna could dispel an auctoritae with a single punch, so he readied the name of another on his lips, prepared to whisper the name as soon as need be.
    The labels on inflammable objects really should use larger print. Being arrested for arson just cause you don't see 20/20 is stupid.
    edited June 2011
    Luna rolled forward to dodge the bolts of lightning and scythe attack. She then jumped upwards with an uppercut aimed at John's chin. The fist shortly glowed an ethereal glimmer, and the punch connected. From the impact spot, the Auctorita began to disintegrate rapidly. "I don't know much about dances, but I think it's pretty rude to send another man in your place, lover boy," she said with a smirk. So far, he's been using pretty normal ones. I've heard these things can get pretty nutty, so let's hope he doesn't pull out any big guns soon. She only had a half a dozen yards to go in order to close the distance. She continued to run forward, hoping the next Auctorita would still be in her league.
  • KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Adrastos would have been ill-prepared for Enrica's move had he not experienced it during the last match. With Revenge Aura already glowing from the surrounding auqamancy, the dragon bellowed a somewhat more fluent "Counterslay!" in response to Divinus Torrent. Once again the laser appeared, once again absorbing Enrica's combination. The only difference was that the non-magical water remained, though it cascaded across the arena as Enrica's control over it was temporarily nullified. Thankfully for her, the merfolk's speed saved her, as Adrastos was not quick enough to aim his combination. The laser arced away, melting a hole in the ceramic tile of the arena.

Adrastos wheeled about to face Enrica. Even though he wouldn't have been ready for anything else, Adrastos was ((Can you guess the emotion? Wait for it . . .)) infuriated that his opponent would attempt the same move twice on him. He tore half the Detonators from his bandolier, clutching a couple in each palm. "TRY IT AGAIN, *****! TRY IT AGAIN!" He tossed the explosives at her all at once, and then charged in himself, closing the gap even as explosions thundered around his target.
    edited June 2011
    “So contact will cause some trouble. So we’ll just have to avoid that.”

“Gwen!” Trez called out. A young girl with flaming red hair appeared in front of Trez. “Keep your distance, this one’s tricky.” The girl nodded and shot off to the side, moving into a position where she could begin strafe Luna.

“Maddus.” Trez whispered, half-summoning the dragon auctoritae into his body. Trez could feel himself falling into the background of his consciousness and the auctoritae took control of his body.

Maddus activated his Astromancy, creating a zone of intensified gravity around Luna. Immediately afterwards, Gwen threw a flurry of explosive kunai at Luna. Gwen aimed slightly high in the gravity zone to compensate for how rapidly the gravity would pull down the kunai. Ideally, the intensified gravity would knock Luna onto the ground, and the explosive kunai would then stab down directly into her before detonating. Otherwise, Trez and the auctoritae would have to settle for a series of point blank explosions.
    The labels on inflammable objects really should use larger print. Being arrested for arson just cause you don't see 20/20 is stupid.
    edited June 2011
    Luna fell to her knees, struggling to stay up. S-s***. Got to move my arms! She desperately waved both arms in a slow arc from the front to her side. They left a trail of ethereal energy that dispelled the kunai. Had the kunai been real and not magical, the attack would have worked. She struggled to move, one step after another. "I'm stronger... than you... think!" she wheezed. Has she been a normal human, she would be on the ground, unable to move or breath. This level of magic power is almost unreal. He must not be a human. She continued her march towards Trez, her eyes lit by a passionate fire.
    edited June 2011
    After the match, R'lyeh walked up to Janet, "I have a proposition for you" He spoke in a muffled baritone voice. "You're an assassin are you not? Will you hear it?"
    edited June 2011
    “She’s shockingly resilient,” Trez thought, still an observer within his own body. “That is a truly admirable trait. I’ll have to make a note of it.” If he could speak, Trez would have assured Luna that he had no intention of underestimating her. The fire in her eyes...Trez could see it. "She wants this. This desire...this passion. It's amazing. I must find out what drives her."

Trez had already spent a great deal of energy this day, and he knew he couldn’t maintain the auctoritae in this battle much longer. If he didn’t finish this quickly, he wouldn’t be able to finish at all.

The hampered speed was still going to help. Seeing the kunai fail Gwen decided to change tactics slightly. Rather than continuing a futile flurry of kunai, Gwen activated her pyromancy, sending a whirling column of flame barreling toward Luna.

Maddus knew that Trez’s body could not take using spirits for long. Rather than risk Luna breaking free, he whispered, “Diamond Cleaver.” The added spell intensified the gravity around Luna. Maddus began to move toward Luna, quickly sheathing the foil and drawing the sabre. He was sure to stay clear until the Gwen’s fire column dissipated to avoid friendly fire but as soon as he was able, should it still be needed, he swung the bladed edge down hard towards Luna’s head, using the intensified gravity to add power to the swing.
    edited June 2011
    "Now that's what I was waiting for." Enrica stated flatly, calling the water back to her side as she did. In a flash four water tendrils shot out, grabbing the grenades out of the air before carrying them back towards Adrastos. Enrica meanwhile took the rest of the globe and positioned it above the battlefield while she simply darted away from the dragon. For now she'd wait to see how he handled the returned grenades before wasting the mana on her trump card. That said she wasn't going to let Adrastos completely off the hook just yet. "Blind!!" She cried out, emitting a blinding flash from her palm. If Adrastos was unfortunate enough to still be looking her way he'd find himself literally blinded by the attack.
    que?
    edited June 2011
    Luna saw the fire coming. "If only I could have fully grasped that defensive technique," she thought to herself. So far, all of her counter abilities depended on using her body's motions. She had tried to developed a full-body defensive technique, but even something like full-body running did not seem to work. She figured the issue came from her spirits still being underdeveloped. She continued to push forward, relying on her ridiculous stamina, though even it was to give out. She has maybe a minute before she would become fatigue. "I must reach him..." "And hit him with everything I've got!!" she roared as she jumped into the fire fist first. The fire crumbled as it hit her fist, but she could not destroy all of the fire at once. Her left arm remain unsinged, but a lot of her body, especially her legs, were heavily burned. She bite her lips and endured, prying her eyes open as tears of pain swelled. As she broke free of the fire, her heart skipped a beat. Since Maddus had decided to face her in person, Luna had a small chance. She reared back her left arm just a little to let fly one final punch at Trez's chest as the sword came crashing down with an intense velocity. She had shift over to her left just enough to keep her head safe, but the right side of her neck and shoulder were completely open. At this rate, both would be struck by the other's final attack.
    edited June 2011
    Trez’s body couldn’t take much damage at this point and Maddus knew it. With the resilience this girl had shown so far, this punch likely had enough force to punch Trez through. Retreating would only surrender their own attack, so the last alternative would be…

While he was not as fast as Luna normally was, Trez was still a dancer. He had quite a lot of speed and dexterity in his own right. As Luna reared back, Maddus leapt up and forward, diving into his own intensified gravity zone. In his jump, Maddus brought the lower half of his body up to be parallel with his head so the space where his chest had previously been was now occupied by his hip. Maddus aimed the jump to the right, tilting the blade and as well as the rest of his body to the right. The realignment lined the blade along the back of Luna’s neck. Naturally, as soon as Maddus entered the zone, he too was dragged down by the hyper intensified gravity. All that was left was to leave the result to the sensors. Maddus knew both fighters would likely be crushed. Hopefully though, losing her head would cause Luna to die first, making Trez the victor. Even though Maddus could recognize Luna’s determination, he also knew Trez came to this tournament with a purpose. Even if he was being crushed to death, Trez wouldn’t let himself simply roll over and die.
    edited June 2011
    Much like Trez only had a few seconds to change his position, Luna also had but one shot. She was still squatting as she threw her punch forward. As Trez dived forward, Luna jumped upwards. Originally, the blade would have started cutting at the top right of her neck, and the angle would let it cleave diagonally down through her neck. Her sudden movement open caused the blade to miss its mark. Instead, it entered at her collar bone. Striking bone first instead of muscle give Luna one extra second to adjust her punch. As she jumped upwards, she tried to turn her first upwards as well, to return it on its original mark. While Trez's check was no longer an option, she could now strike right between his gut and chest, the one spot where there was no muscle. With the intense gravity now affecting Trez's body as well, both came crashing down. Trez's sword cut down into her chest, slicing diagonally across the top right lung, esophagus, and into her left lung, being just barely slowed down by her ribs. Meanwhile, her upward first remained firm and pieced his chest, breaking all the way to his spine.

((Flipped a coin))

Again, there was a moment of silence as the censors read the data. Finally, Charlie cried out, "IT'S LUNA'S WIN!!!"

"Wow, really?" asked Lenore. "I was hoping for the cutie to keep on going. What a brutal fight though. You could definitely see that both of these guys wanted to win. Congradulations, Luna!"

"...Sadly she can't celebrate right now. The medic team is moving in. Thank you all for attending today's two matches of Division B. We'll return tomorrow with R'lyeh versus Luna."

"Toodles!" Lenore giggled.
    edited June 2011
    Janet looked over at R'lyeh debating for a moment and decided it wouldn't hurt to listen at least. She would decide if she would do it once he explained. "I'm listening...," she said slowly, "But right now... you only have my silence guaranteed... I will decide whether I will do it... once you've told me what... you want."
    edited June 2011
    R'lyeh led Janet into a small room and produced a sheet of paper to write on. 'If Luna Satpathy wins this match, then I will drop out of the tournament and my place will go to you. Your job in this case will be to fight Luna and stall her as long as possible during the fight. I want to observe her aesirmancy. You can win or lose, I don't care, you'll be payed as long as I get a good idea of this aesirmancy. However, if Trenzattimus wins this fight, then your job will be simply the assassination of Luna Satpathy. I will go on to face Trenzattimus. Name your price for this deal.' He finished and showed the paper to Janet for her to read.
    edited June 2011
    Janet read the paper silently as he wrote and began to frown slightly as he finished. She muttered "Rewrite," not bothering to wait for a pen, and began to reform the words on the page. 'The first part would be acceptable, but not the latter. You have to put any assassination requests through my family head for evaluation.'
    edited June 2011
    "What a sheltered assassin" R'lyeh thought to himself. He took the pen and wrote out 'So it's settled. If Luna wins this match, I will drop out and you will fight and stall her, if she loses, then you may simply go on your way. Name your tentative price. This is all off the books. If I find out that you let Satpathy know about this, then not only is the deal off, but there will be repercussions. '