If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mass Effect 3 to feature co-op multiplayer?

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited August 2011 in Role Playing Games
Well, I'm glad they have their priorities straight

Yes, it's just a rumor right now, but it's not the first time I've heard it.
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Yeah... this has been a sticky rumor since before the first trailer hit. I think a lot of it stems from EA's belief that you "need" multiplayer in all your games for them to "stick". Recent video clips from E3 suggested BioWare was definitely exploring multiplayer (or even MMO) options for Dragon Age and Mass Effect which doesn't help things.

To be honest, this seems like the perfect thing for a $20 XBLA/PSN/Steam...I mean Origin title. Don't divert resources from the current game. Or give the impression that you are BioWare. They are on a tight leash enough as it is.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, I've gotten tired of the tacked-on multiplayer this gen. If you're not committed to multiplayer as an actual experience and not just a check mark on a list of "stuff that games should have", you're only hurting the entire experience.
    edited June 2011
    On the bright side, apparently they're finally putting FemShep on the cover.
    Rebochan wrote: »
    Honestly, I've gotten tired of the tacked-on multiplayer this gen. If you're not committed to multiplayer as an actual experience and not just a check mark on a list of "stuff that games should have", you're only hurting the entire experience.

BioShock 2 and Bulletstorm agree with you (although multiplayer skill-shots is an intriguing concept).
    edited June 2011
    What?! They're willing to acknowledge that you can play as a girl!? SCANDAL!

...seriously, I called into the Kotaku show once and asked why FemShep is always so hidden away. The answer boiled down to "marketing says it's better".
    edited June 2011
    What?! They're willing to acknowledge that you can play as a girl!? SCANDAL!

Given the number of places that say FemShep >>> CanonShep I'm half tempted to start my ME1 save over with her instead when I go back to that game. A shame this will be after Starcraft II which means I'll probably be wishing she could eviscerate people with blade arms coming out of her back instead.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Am I the only person who didn't like FemShep?

I don't believe the series, based on the first two anyway, is right for co-op multiplayer, although I don't see why a team-centric shooter can't be made to support it. I can see the game having a Horde mode of some kind. Can you imagine Angel's hide-out used as a Horde map (with the rear entrance obviously sealed)? Play with Male or Fem Shep, or play other characters like Garrus, while maintaining your build from the game (whatever is balanced). And why just limit the mode to killing? You can have a King of the Hill mode where you must hold a specific area for awhile to win (the hill changes from round to round), or a VIP mode where a specific player must survive to win the round (much better than protecting an object or an NPC; protecting buildings in the new Red Faction's horde mode is no fun).
    edited June 2011
    Horde mode I think is what the rumors are leaning toward.

That said, importing your character makes the most sense. Or doing something like Jedi Knight II where you get to pick your load-out when you join the game.
    edited June 2011
    It's still rather silly to include that in Mass Effect though, especially three games in an extremely story-centric franchise.
    edited June 2011
    It's still rather silly to include that in Mass Effect though, especially three games in an extremely story-centric franchise.

True, but on the scale of silly things to do at this point in the franchise, it's certainly less silly than adding Kinect enhancements in an attempt to broaden the appeal.

Also, multiplayer gives them a very safe place to milk that sweet, sweet, DLC teat.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited June 2011
    This shouldn't be a problem unless they skimp on single-player content. Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2 didn't let their respective (probably obligatory) multiplayer modes get in the way of their excellent single-player campaigns, so I have hope. That said, it'd be highly unlikely that I'd touch the mode at all. I rarely can get into multiplayer outside the fighter genre or the Mario [insert activity here] games.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    It's still rather silly to include that in Mass Effect though

I gotta say, what's really silly is the people here automatically assuming a squad-based shooter, where teamwork is paramount, filled with missions that see you fight off wave after wave of enemies will automatically fail just because the AI teammates are replaced by real players. A game with lots of development time remaining. Sounds more like fanboy ranting to me.

Sure, it could suck or detract from the main game, but I've seen nothing to suggest it can't be done well. Story or not, the game is still a shooter.

To be fair, it's easy for me to say this because the series doesn't quite grab me the way it does everyone else.
    edited June 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I gotta say, what's really silly is the people here automatically assuming a squad-based shooter, where teamwork is paramount, filled with missions that see you fight off wave after wave of enemies will automatically fail just because the AI teammates are replaced by real players. Sounds more like fanboy ranting to me.

I think it's mostly because Mass Effect is a single-player game and people are afraid of it diluting the development focus on the single-player experience.

Besides, if I want to play horde mode there's a number of games I can go play that in. It's rapidly becoming the new deathmatch.
  • deathangel73deathangel73 Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    But, after the inclusion of Kinect, I would bet that they would add it. In some things though like the last DLC for ME2 co-op could have been fun.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I hope not.

Say what you will about Dragon Age 2, but one of the reasons I revere Bioware as I do is because they are capable of making great single player epics without having to tack on multiplayer functionality for a bullet point on the back of the box. There are a lot of other games I like to play co-op in, but regarding Mass Effect 3 a dialogue driven story romp is definitely not one of them.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
    edited July 2011
    This recently tipped up on Joystiq, and it reminded me of what Rebo said about BioWare marketing...

Apparently 18% of players use FemShep, with 13% of players using the default MaleShep. 83% of players customize their character.

Thanks BioWare for not giving us the full picture. Would be nice to know if that 18% is default FemShep or female characters overall...
    The answer boiled down to "marketing says it's better".

My guess is they don't want to turn off the dudebros who want a meathead on their cover a la Gears and Bulletstorm.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I've played both ways, and I liked both regular and FemShep about the same. Maybe the slight edge to FemShep, but that could also be because she was my renegade playthrough, while male Shepard was my Paragon playthrough. If you liked the games, it is certainly worth it to play through as both.
    edited July 2011
    “When creating a rich sci-fi epic like Mass Effect, you need to keep a certain level of consistency so people unfamiliar with the property can clearly identify who the hero is that they get to become,” Silverman said.

“Had we released images showcasing both a male and female Shepard, people wouldn’t be able to identify who the hero was or what was going on.”

Dodging the question of why that hero had to be male, Silverman said BioWare wanted to “acknowledge” the demand for FemShep material.

That was almost exactly the answer I got on the Kotaku call-in. Yes, they tip-toed around answering that for me as well. I'd cynically suggest dudebros are the reason why Man!Shep is the "consistent" hero. Especially seeing how this guy is who they're adding to your squad to sell to "new players".

I also recall that they blamed some of Jade Empires sales on the inclusion of both male and female characters in the ads and on the box. Still, I like their idea that apparently gamers are too stupid to know who the main character is.

That stats are interesting though, because they completely contradict stats BioWare gave out in the past that suggest most players never switch off the default ManShep. Either those stats were a little cracked or there's been a huge shift in the playerbase.

Regardless, if they're going to finally treat FemShep as part of the franchise, I do have to reconsider my take on her as whether or not she counts as a female character (in the way that, say, Lara Croft does)/
    edited July 2011
    I also recall that they blamed some of Jade Empires sales on the inclusion of both male and female characters in the ads and on the box.

If they were worried about player confusion they could always do something like Face/Off where they do a composite image with the left half being male shep and the right half being fem shep.

Either that, or you know, not put any characters on the front like they did with every game leading up to KOTOR (even then they didn't show the main character I believe).
    edited July 2011
    Looking at the KOTOR box art, you'd probably think Bastila was the main character. Oh wait, Malik was in the background. Gosh, why weren't gamers SO confused by it that they didn't buy the game?

The most prominent figure in the Dragon Age:Origins art is Morrigan and a character in full armor (which could really be any gender). Dragon Age 2 chose to just highlight Man!Hawke. I do remember a lot more press showing off Fem!Hawke though, so not sharing the box art isn't as much of a concern when she was still part of the campaign (though obviously still far less than Man!Hawke).
    edited July 2011
    Of course, they do something utterly facepalm worthy with the FemShep on the cover news.

Click here for FemShep beauty pageant voting! (AKA: These are not the Female Shephards you're looking for)

Seriously EA, sack your marketing department. Please.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I love how none of them are the actual default face you get in the editor.

I assume the aryan one is winning? Who am I kidding, of course it is /gamers
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    I would prefer if the 4th one won it (for the variety), but odds are the 5th one will win it because people will think she looks like Samus Aran face-wise and they will think she's a strong female lead only to have their hopes destroyed by something that happens ingame (calling it now).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I'm most into the 4th and 6th, but yeah, the fifth is most likely. Predictable blonde is predictable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    I'm most into the 4th and 6th, but yeah, the fifth is most likely. Predictable blonde is predictable.
    Personally, I dislike blondes. Give me brunettes anyday.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    According to Eurogamer, 5 is the leader by miles, followed by 3, 4 and then 1. Shepard 2 and 6 are way behind. (Personally I prefer 1).

But yeah, this is very facepalm inducing.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited July 2011
    The best one (and the one closest to my FemShep) is actually the one in the picture leading off that article. I don't much like any of the ones pictured.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    I just plain don't understand why they're doing this to begin with. FemShep has been defined for two games now, changing her appearance just seems silly. Unless they patch both games to modify the default, or allow the default to be present in the 3rd game as well, this is just a dumb move.

And why aren't they doing this for the male Shepard?

So ridiculous.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Personally, I dislike blondes. Give me brunettes anyday.

Agreed. Blondes are boring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited July 2011
    Blondes are boring.

PC Gamer: Death to blonde Shephard. Jennifer Hale says she's voting for the one with freckles.

I have a FB account, I might as well head over and throw a vote at redhead or brunette unless there's a "use the existing one" option. Because, seriously folks. Blondie sucks.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2011
    My Shepard was blond :(

Also in a universe where Jack can walk around topless in space, we can probably ignore the practicality of Shepard's hair.