If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Capcom Cancels Megaman Legends 3

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited July 2011 in Role Playing Games
http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/07/18/a_message_from_capcom

Aren't you glad they got the fans so deeply involved in the project?
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    Alright Capcom, this is it, you either give us an announcement of a continuation of one of your old game series, or it's over between us. It's not me, it's you. You played with my heart only to tell me it wasn't real. Just know that I WILL have my revenge, somehow.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    This is really a load of crap. I think it would probably have sold pretty damn well too. Especially considering that the 3DS isn't exactly oozing with great games.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I saw this happening the day Keiji Inafune renounced Capcom. When a pillar of experience and creative with a IP is gone it needs to be replaced by a equally brilliant developer and even if that happens the project will be become directionless for a while and that's where the projects takes a huge painful hit. When Megaman Universe collapsed my optimism for ML3 faded.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2011
    LordKaiser nicely sums up my thoughts.

Also, why can't we have nice things? :(

EDIT:
    Rebochan wrote: »
    Aren't you glad they got the fans so deeply involved in the project?

Given that the majority of fan/user generated content is terrible, I honestly had little expectations that the fans would be doing much more than just simply answering a number of multiple choice polls for the game, which at best is superficial involvement. There's no way they'd be able to fully crowd source the entire design of the game.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    The internet is going to explode over this. Let's set up some lawn chairs and watch the fireworks.

On a more serious note, this is disappointing. Game looked like it had potential.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited July 2011
    omegabyte wrote: »
    On a more serious note, this is disappointing. Game looked like it had potential.

I agree. This does not reflect well on the state of the AAA games industry in terms of creativity and risk taking. Japan in particular.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    This sucks
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I need to finish my Mega Man collection. Seems the value may go up when the series is no longer ongoing :/
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2011
    But they're still getting Ninja Theory to reboot Devil May Cry right? Right?!
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I can't blame Capcom for this. The 3DS hasn't taken off as many had expected it to.

This isn't the only high profile 3DS title to be cancelled ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited July 2011
    Well that's incredibly sad. I wasn't really looking forward to this game, not have played any of the other Mega Man Legend titles, but it was looking interesting.
    I can't blame Capcom for this. The 3DS hasn't taken off as many had expected it to.

This isn't the only high profile 3DS title to be cancelled ...

What other game (or games) was cancelled?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Given that the majority of fan/user generated content is terrible,
    I'd like to see the chosen Dark Souls shield design and the runners up. Is it available at a website somewhere? There was a contest recently where fans were tasked with designing a shield for Dark Souls. The person with the winning design would have their design in the game and receive a free copy.

I could see the Megaman fan-generated stuff being really terrible though. Is there a place I can look at it though? Was it really terrible?
    edited July 2011
    The 3DS hasn't taken off as many had expected it to.

And I still keep asking, "compared to what?". The original DS was a very slow burn and didn't hit it's stride until at least a year after release when we saw several breakout titles for the game: Canvas Curse, Meteos, Mario Kart DS. I don't think the PSP was exactly a barn-burner the first year either.

I believe it was outed that the Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy game was cancelled with a lot of the concepts being rolled into Revelations. I don't think it was that far in development since the only acknowledgement the project existed was the logo used at the 3DS unveiling last year.
    I could see the Megaman fan-generated stuff being really terrible though. Is there a place I can look at it though? Was it really terrible?

I was speaking more in general, although if you want to dig up some old Nintendo Power issues, I know they ran an article with a bunch of fan submitted designs for Mega Man 6. The series does have a strong tradition of some community submitted designs making their way into the games though.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Hard reality of the games industry: Games get cancelled.
    I was speaking more in general, although if you want to dig up some old Nintendo Power issues, I know they ran an article with a bunch of fan submitted designs for Mega Man 6. The series does have a strong tradition of some community submitted designs making their way into the games though.

From what I remember, nearly all of the Navis used by Mr. Famous in the Battle Network series are fan designs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited July 2011
    Quin wrote: »

True, but it's funny how the PR says this has nothing to do with Inafume's departure, despite Mega Man Universe also being cancelled shortly after he left.

But it's ok, I'm sure they'll be glad to churn out more Star Force for everyone's enjoyment!
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Quin wrote: »

From what I remember, nearly all of the Navis used by Mr. Famous in the Battle Network series are fan designs.

One of the games, perhaps 4, was almost entirely fan designed bosses. However, 4 was also an abomination of game design. The ability to brick the cartridge is amusing though.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I think the whole Mega Man IP is in trouble. I think Capcom will kill many of it's IPs and I'm not Optimistic of DmC either.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited July 2011
    A friend of mine even said he wanted people to boycott Capcom for canceling it. I don't know if people want to go to that extreme.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Well that's incredibly sad. I wasn't really looking forward to this game, not have played any of the other Mega Man Legend titles, but it was looking interesting.

As Shoptroll mentioned: Assassin's Creed - and also Saint's Row.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited July 2011
    Saint's Row.

To be fair, that title was also slated for the PSN and XBLA. Those versions were axed before the 3DS iteration was killed. My guess is that they figured the game wouldn't sell well on any platform, or they wanted to direct resources to SR: The Third.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    great I wanted to play this. Now I'll have to ask what's the difference between the N64 carts and the PS1 disks?(the N64 versions are much cheaper!)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited July 2011
    Get the PS1 version of Legends. I don't think there was a N64 release of Legends 2.

http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MML1.html has details on the differences.

There was also PSP ports I think?
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I agree. This does not reflect well on the state of the AAA games industry in terms of creativity and risk taking. Japan in particular.

Wait...huh? It's a cancelled sequel to a high-profile franchise. Sad though it is to get cancelled, I'm not sure if that says much about risk-taking and creativity if we're using a sequel as our standard.
    A friend of mine even said he wanted people to boycott Capcom for canceling it. I don't know if people want to go to that extreme.

I'll be "boycotting" them only because they've cancelled or refused to localize their only titles I actually want to play. It looks like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is going to be it for me for awhile.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited July 2011
    Rebochan wrote: »
    Wait...huh? It's a cancelled sequel to a high-profile franchise. Sad though it is to get cancelled, I'm not sure if that says much about risk-taking and creativity if we're using a sequel as our standard.

That's my point. If they're axing a sequel, which for all intents and purposes is a very safe bet (although it's a sequel to a decade old sub-franchise), that's a clear sign the level of risk-aversion is reaching a new high. It's possible there's other reasons but still, this isn't good.
    It looks like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is going to be it for me for awhile.

Or the new edition of MvC3 which is probably getting announced this week :p

I really don't get the call to arms for gaming boycotts. Companies know by now that we're like crack addicts and we can't hold out when release day comes. The Modern Warfare 2 and L4D2 boycotts are classic examples.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited July 2011
    -Mega Man Legends 3 getting canceled.
    -Mega Man Universe cancelled.
    -Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (Same game, updated twice)
    -Marvel vs. Capcom 3 unsupported
    -Possible "Super" Marvel vs. Capcom 3

I am getting a bit annoyed with Capcom. I honestly don't know what to say or do, right now.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    All discussion on this topic shall be moved here. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.