If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

FFXIII-2 Gamasutra Interview

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited August 2011 in Square Enix
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35385/Qamp_A_The_Real_Story_Behind_Final_Fantasy_XI-%20II2.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29&utm_content=Twitter

Of particular interest is this question:
I remember an interview came out around the time the game was released in Japan saying that there was a volume of content created for the original XIIIthat was more than could be used in the game. Was that the genesis of where this project came from? Did you end up using any of the content as you moved forward?

YK: I think this idea was derived from one comment made by one of our staff, and I think it has been quite widely misunderstood or misinterpreted. It is true in any game, in the process of making it, that obviously you have to come up with lots of different ideas, and obviously you can't materialize every single one of them. You have to try them out, and eventually you're left with the best ones for use. It's only that because there are lots of ideas and content that we could have included in XIIIwhere we didn't; but we didn't actually recycle any of them for XIII-2. It's certainly not that XIII-2 came from the idea of how to make any use of the rejects; that's not how it happened.

God it's nice to have something more concrete to hit the Sony fanboys with the next time one of them screeches that FFXIII was missing "half the game" to support the 360 port.
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Rebochan wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35385/Qamp_A_The_Real_Story_Behind_Final_Fantasy_XI-%20II2.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29&utm_content=Twitter

Of particular interest is this question:

God it's nice to have something more concrete to hit the Sony fanboys with the next time one of them screeches that FFXIII was missing "half the game" to support the 360 port.

Or to the FFXIII haters who claim that FFXIII-2 is being made not because the game sold well and a sequel is financially feasible, but because there were so many unused assets from the first one.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • JagdJagd Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Great interview, glad to see that making improvements in the sequel and not ignoring feedback.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I can see that sort of thing happening with any game. For example, "Help me write a fake RPG" thread on this forum probably has more than a few "unused ideas." Internal discussion at development houses probably looks a bit like that.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Jagd wrote: »
    Great interview, glad to see that making improvements in the sequel and not ignoring feedback.

Agreed. It makes me very hopeful for them as a company right now. Now let's see if they actually deliver :)
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Agreed. It makes me very hopeful for them as a company right now. Now let's see if they actually deliver :)
    Odds are they will get close to perfection, but will fall short, causing vocal SE haters to get on its case about ridiculous things, which in turn will cause the 'bandwagon' haters to jump on board and continue to blow it out of proportion, causing it to get a bad rap which will ultimately fail after a year's time where it will be respected as a great game.

No, that's not a theory, that's a prediction.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    it's still done by Toriyama so any hopes are few and far between