If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fanfic Section?

Lassarina AoibhellLassarina Aoibhell MemberFull Members
edited June 2003 in Site & Forum Support
I've noticed that updates in the Fanfiction section of RPGamer have been sporadic at best. Why is this, and when can we expect things to get back to normal?

Comments

• TSGTSG Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    A combination of the checklist being down, a number of personal problems, and my university throwing me 6 deadlines before the end of March. My life has been extremely hectic as of late and I don't like it as much as any of you guys. ^^; It galls me that I keep doing this, but as long as I /do/ keep doing this I'll also be posting larger updates to make up for it. In the meantime, I'm taking a good long look at my free time recently to see if it's feasible for me to keep going.

Edit: To field a question I got asked at one point about why the checklist being down matters a great deal: As it is, I have to read all the fics and decide between them. This means I'm both stuck with a lot of fics that are borderline cases, possible accepts and possible rejects, that I start agonizing over, and also have to take a lot longer to get through the fics. With the checklist up, I'd also have 4 other people's opinions to turn to, so if I didn't have time to read the fics I could at least have the confidence they were good to a majority eye.

As far as updates go, one of the courseworks is being handed in today and an update will be worked on tonight. I don't /ever/ plan to repeat the month-and-three-weeks pause between the last updates.

• Lassarina AoibhellLassarina Aoibhell Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    I was just wondering smile.gif Thanks for the response!
    edited March 2003
    Turns out that after working on a coursework for 10 hours, looking at a Notepad screen was abhorrent to me. The ficwork has started today, likely to continue into tomorrow. Looking like it'll at least be double numbers of fics.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited May 2003
    It's been nearly two months since the last update. ?What is going on? ?Will there be a fanfic update in the near future? ?Is keeping the fanfic section updated a low priority for your site?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    Well, I can't answer for TSG, but I know updating any section here isn't "low priority" as each section has people who love to do what they do. TSG is probably just really busy, and the fanfic section does take a lot more than looking at an image, or reading a quick blurb. It's a whole story to read, debate, and criticize. Not to mention TSG probably, like many heads here, has stuff pop up last second.

I can't say for sure why, that would be wrong...but I can say that TSG loves his section and just like every section here at RPGamer it is not "low priority".

edited May 2003
    Routers breaking down, my internet connection going with it, yet /more/ coursework from the university, lack of a checklist, a burgeoning amount of spam, and then having to actually go through and read all the fics and decide which go through, before ripping out all the bad html and replacing it with good html. It takes a lot of time that right now I just haven't had for a looong while. Passing the baton on has crossed my mind a couple of times, but when it comes down to it I'm extremely reluctant to - I /like/ reading fics, I like working with fics. I just haven't had the time recently.

It galls me, and I hate it, and as I've said, as long as I keep doing this, I /will/ be posting very large updates, be it larger fics or more fics or both.

All that said, now that the aforementioned scatty internet problem has been sorted out and I can reach my inbox, I'm working on an update right now - have been throughout tonight - that will go up tonight, encompassing 10 fics.
  • Ryu_BOF2Ryu_BOF2 Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    How do I get Fanfics up on the site? do I have to email you them or what?
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ryu_BOF2 @ June 01 2003,22:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How do I get Fanfics up on the site? do I have to email you them or what?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Go here for the submission guidelines. The E-mail address that you send the fanfic to is on the fanfiction section's main page. ?I hope that helps.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Ryu_BOF2Ryu_BOF2 Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    cool, thanks a lot moncapitan biggrin.gif
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ryu_BOF2 @ June 01 2003,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"cool, thanks a lot moncapitan biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You're welcome. ?I wonder who will do the next fanfic update, though.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ June 01 2003,22:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ryu_BOF2 @ June 01 2003,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"cool, thanks a lot moncapitan biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You're welcome. ?I wonder who will do the next fanfic update, though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We're in limbo on that one at the moment. As such, I highly recommend that you do not submit a fanfic at this time, since nobody will be around to post it. When we do get someone to take it over though, you'll probably have a decent piece of work to submit.
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I've been told we "unofficially" have someone for the position now, so it'd be a matter now of getting them trained, etc... Don't look for an update any time soon though.