If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nintendo Finally Releases Official Zelda Timeline

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited January 2012 in Role Playing Games
So first, yes, now we know they weren't lying when they kept swearing there was a Zelda timeline.

Second, it involves three concurrent parallel timelines.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1215301p1.html

If your head hurts when you're done with that, it's okay. That means you're still sane.
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2011
    Makes perfect sense to me.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    This is backpedaling on earlier word of god that said there is no timeline.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about my head hurting, but it sure is itchy as I'm thinking it over. I guess it makes sense overall, but there's all sorts of details I won't get into right now...
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I appreciate the effort, but I don't think EVERY game needs to fit on a contrived timeline. The non-DS handheld games and Four Swords always felt as spin-offs, maybe their own separate set of mythology.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited December 2011
    This is backpedaling on earlier word of god that said there is no timeline.

They've confirmed multiple times there was a secret timeline they weren't sharing with us (such as here.) I'm not sure why it was a secret though.
    edited December 2011
    The fans had already figured out the timeline, so there was really no need for it to remain secret anymore.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited December 2011
    I like all the comments on that ign link from people indignant that there was even a timeline to begin with. I mean, even within the games they refer to previous entries often (subtly in most cases I admit), so I don't know why that is surprising and worse causes them to lose interest in the series. It's just trivia in the long run if you don't really care, and even with this knowledge almost all the games are self-contained.

Regardless I still have only one problem with the "Link losing scenario" causing the original series. It only works if Ocarina is unique in this regard (Link losing) because there may still be people able to fight Ganon in the aftermath, and every other game when Link loses he was truly the last hope. Is that always the case? I guess I have to remain a little skeptical of this point also because I don't know the person or people who translated it since every site is using the same references. After seeing so many fandoms argue about such things in the past - it's only been a few days really.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
    edited December 2011
    Here's the best explanation I've seen for the "Failure" route: It's not so much that Link lost but disappeared. It wasn't so much that he traveled 7 years into the future but rather to a parallel world (the one that led to Wind Waker). There, he defeated Ganondorf. When sent BACK to his childhood, that was a third parallel world, where Ganondorf was beaten early on (leading to Majora's Mask). The original world where players start Ocarina of Time never saw Ganondorf defeated by Link, and, because Link vanished to World B and World C, this World A was left to its own devices (leading eventually to A Link to the Past).
    edited December 2011
    That explanation makes a lot of sense. Makes me wonder how much they thought ahead, or if they came up with it on a whim.
    edited December 2011
    That explanation makes a lot of sense. Makes me wonder how much they thought ahead, or if they came up with it on a whim.

I'd go with the latter.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited December 2011
    So since Adventure of Link (my favorite still) is at the bottom of the list, does that mean that game is the most current incarnation of the story chronologically (in other words, is there no story after Adventure of Link)?

Also, why the hell do these games even need timelines? It's not like the Zelda games have incredibly deep storylines to begin with, and honestly I always assumed they were all retellings of the same fairytale, (with the exception of Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link, because the instruction manual to AoL directly refers to the first game).

EDIT: Lol someone in the IGN forums asked where the smash brothers games and soul calibur 2 fit in. I'd like Nintendo to try and squeeze those into their time line lolololol.

EDIT 2: also, according to the timeline, alot of the Zelda games take place in different "eras". How is Link living so long? Is he the Highlander? Or are we talking a new Link every era or so? I'm confused.

EDIT 3!: I'm sure someone has mentioned it already somewhere, but I demand the cd-i zelda games get included into the timeline.
    sup?
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Zelda and link have multiple incarnations throughout the ages. It's silly to think they're the same people haha
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
    edited December 2011
    Maudren wrote: »
    EDIT 3!: I'm sure someone has mentioned it already somewhere, but I demand the cd-i zelda games get included into the timeline.
    My response to that thought.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Has Zelda ever needed a timeline? Every game seems like a new, slightly more complex telling of the same story, and the plot isn't particularly important or interesting anyway. It was always obvious it's just there to provide some sort of backdrop to the gameplay.
  • PopoiPopoi New Member... For 6 Years. Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Rebochan wrote: »
    They've confirmed multiple times there was a secret timeline they weren't sharing with us (such as here[/url). I'm not sure why it was a secret though.

I'm not sure if it was that interview or a different one, but I remember the reason being that they worried that if they revealed the timeline, the developers would start focusing on portraying certain events, or how to fit the game into what's been established, and that the gameplay would suffer from it. As up until now they've always designed the gameplay mechanics first, and then focused on the story once all that was finished. It honestly seemed a bit paranoid to me, but I could see where they were coming from.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Man I sure hope this explodes into years of threads on the relevance of authorial intent like it did with the Ultimania guides.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2011
    The fans had already figured out the timeline, so there was really no need for it to remain secret anymore.

This timeline is also coming from an official encyclopedia they just released. "Forbidden knowledge" is a great way to sell books.

EDIT: Oh god my head hurts looking at that. Yup, still don't care enough to know how all the games tie into each other when there's very little references between games. No, reusing names doesn't count.
    Man I sure hope this explodes into years of threads on the relevance of authorial intent like it did with the Ultimania guides.

Fan dumb you say? Never.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Makes perfect sense to me.

It may be after the fact, but this explanation makes total sense.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited December 2011

The Zelda timeline already causes massive fan fights, and Nintendo hasn't helped because Aonuma has teased the existance of an official yet confidential timeline for years. Honestly, I'd just stopped taking the subject seriously some time ago because it doesn't make that big of a difference, but it keeps coming up because of Nintendo's habit of making prequels to prequels.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited December 2011
    So basically, Link has to fail in OoT to keep Tingle from existing...

I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • superheadsuperhead Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    It kind of makes sense, I suppose, but this kind of feels to me like the same kind of situation as George Lucas saying he knew Star Wars was going to be a six part series from the beginning.
    Currently Playing
    Suikoden Tactics, Tales of Phantasia
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Zaku77 wrote: »
    Zelda and link have multiple incarnations throughout the ages. It's silly to think they're the same people haha

heh, I like my highlander idea, with Link being immortal, and forever doomed to lose every incarnation of Zelda he meets through out the ages.

/foreveraloneLink! Mwahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!!!!
    sup?
  • SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    The main reason this whole timeline thing is a tough pill to swallow is that the world seems to get destroyed and/or changed completely (the look of the world, locations, town names) and yet in not a single one of the 30 games are you actually around to see the world end and a new one rebuilt What gives?

For example in LTTP Hyrule Castle is west of Lake Hylia, but it's not in the case in most Zelda games. When the hell did the geography get arranged, and why don't we get to see it in any games? Seems like 90% of the Zelda timeline happens outside of any of the games, which makes it a complete load of bull.

Imagine watching a movie and 90% of the plot progression happens off screen. To me throwing any timeline in the zelda games completely takes the fun out of the atmosphere and charm the games have on their own. What's the point in beating Ganon if the whole world's gonna get defaced and all the races and people of the current world completely destroyed and forgotten each time? Nobody in post OOT games mentions Kakriko village, so what's the point in saving it if it's super temporary? Just really kills the charm.