If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Journeys of a Frustrated Gamer

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited February 2012 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Sigh...

I work 9 hours / day. I spend about 1.5 hours just getting ready for work and driving. Another hour eating, cooking, cleaning. Then I get to Kung fu...where I get hurt in sparring. I'm in pain. It's a total of two hours used with the transportation and shower. Another hour or so answering some emails and doing misc stuff around the house. It's 10pm.... I have about an hour before bed. I sit down with my PS3 to play some 3D Dot Heroes. It's the first time I've been able to play my PS3 in about 3 days. I sooo need to relax.

I'm in the 2nd dungeon. It's nothing TOO hard, but I die a couple of times, since I'm tired and I'm playing a little sloppy. I plow my way through, find some hidden objects, solves some puzzles, and an hour later, I'm finally up to the big boss. It about bed time, but I'm pretty sure I can take him before I need to sleep. I die. I 'continue' my game. I'm at the front of the dungeon, but I activated the warp, so I can zip right to him. Sweet. That puts me in the room right to the south of him. I just need to walk north, and I'll get another shot at him I so richly deserve. The screen transitions to black, as if it's loading. And then it happens. it stops. The music keeps playing, but the screen stays back.

I just want to scream. After all, no one thinks to save every 10 minutes in a game that allows play to continue easily should the player die. My progress for the night, nay, the entire week...now lost.

Tomorrow is another day of work. I have rank review in Kung Fu and I'm still in pain. I needed to relax before another full day, but instead I'm stressed. I want a refund for this ulcer Atlus just gave me, but I know I'm not getting one. SIGH.
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2012
    That sounds like the day we all have once every month.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I stopped playing games while I feel sleepy/exhausted. I noticed that I can't really enjoy them in that condition. Then I rather lie down on bed and do nothing which can be pretty relaxing. Just lieing there... doing nothing... great.
    Or I take one of those things you put between your opened window and the window frame so that the window doesn't close and then throw it up and each time it comes down again I hit it with my hand so it flies up again and then I keep balancing it, while thinking about stuff. I can do this several hours straight.

To be fair, though. I hardly play games anymore!

I actually spend more time making games than playing them, heh. Well, except if we count playtesting as playing.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    Yeah...well, laying down on the couch and playing PS3 or in my bed with my DS is usually pretty relaxing, depending on the game. I was actually doing well with 3D Dot Heroes (It's not a difficult game...not yet...) until I got the black screen of death.

Note: Edited my story a little bit to reflect exactly why that black screen was such a bad thing...for those who don't know.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    This is why I think it is a big deal that JRPGs don't autosave. It isn't just "Get with the '00s, you silly archaic JRPGs! Down with Dragon Quest while we're at it!" I've lost significant progress in games thanks to system crashes this generation, and since most games I play autosave, I'm out of the habit of saving every time I walk by a save point. Worse for 3D Dot Game Heroes, which lets you save anywhere and doesn't punish you for dying so I don't save until I'm calling it a day... until it crashes on me once. Then I neurotically save every 5 minutes. Not fun, and there's no excuse for it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, 7th...I have to agree with you here.
    That sounds like the day we all have once every month.

Yeah...except I'm lucky if I get to play a few times a month on my console. It really sucks when I look forward to it all week, plow through it, and this happens. /sigh.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 2012
    This is an experience we can all relate to, I think. Like Rya, I typically don't play games to unwind from a difficult day for various reasons. Some of them are too engaging, and others are too stressful with permanent choices/missables abound. Video games are my main source of relaxation though, so lost progress and saves can be infuriating.

Strangely enough, unlike 7th, this really hasn't happened to me at all during the current console/handheld generation which I suppose I should count myself lucky for. However, I've had this happen to me all the time during the PS1 era with corrupted saves, faulty memory cards, and freezes during cinematic sequences that have cost me big time. Probably the most frustrating of which came from the GC version of Phantasy Star Online, when my high level character was permanently erased from the BSOD which was, as far as I knew, just a dreaded rumor.

Games with extremely long boss battles are probably the closest thing in recent memory to upset me with wasted time. White Knight Chronicles 2's final boss had 3 or 4 different forms to it, which took somewhere around the area of 20 minutes to retry if the player lost. Really aggravating to have to defeat some pushovers that take 7 minutes to incapacitate, fight through a fairly difficult secondary boss with a chance to kill you, then finally be able to take another crack at what finished you last time. The bane of my gaming existence, The Last Remnant, is also the prime example of this folly. Many of that game's 2nd disc boss encounters entail the player plowing through what felt like 20-30 minutes of throwaway enemies only to fight a boss and scream in agony when the option to heal on all your groups is conspicuously absent. Of course, this is all considered one giant battle, so you cannot save during or after beating the small army mentioned.
    edited February 2012
    Yeah. Picking a game to relax is an art :) The subset, for me, includes slower action games, those with lower difficulty where I'm basically going through the paces, and most JRPGs. Grinding in Arc the Lad is a good example (Stupid grinding, sigh). I wouldn't want to play, let's say, Street Fighter or God of War before bed, LOL.

Long boss battles with a save point that was 30 minutes earlier have made me quit games before. I remember getting all the way to FF9 and losing to the boss after like, 20 minutes. I totally quit the game. Years later, I went through it again with more patience, and making sure I grinded enough along the way. I took the boss down with little issue. LMAO. Go figure.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2012
    7thCircle wrote: »
    This is why I think it is a big deal that JRPGs don't autosave. It isn't just "Get with the '00s, you silly archaic JRPGs!

Autosave in a JRPG? Well, it sounds like Final Fantasy XIII-2 is the game for you!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited February 2012
    Solatorobo will relax you quite easily. The difficulty of the game is low enough to where you can just play it without worries of getting pissed off (unless you aren't good at some of the minigames).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited February 2012
    Hahahah...Good one Mac.

I know many JRPGs use save points as a difficulty mechanic. The philosophy goes that if you can save anywhere, there's very little penalty for dying. Fine...but I do maintain that they should all have a suspend option. Life's to busy to be glued to my console for an extra 30 mins when I need to leave. I love my handhelds because I can close them, effectively suspending my game, at a moment's notice.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I will say that FFXIII-2 is really great for casual play. You can save anywhere in addition to the autosave, and leave pretty much any area at any time to go do something else. When you go back to the place you left, you pop in right where you left. All that, plus the fact that the Retry option on battles actually takes you back *before* the battle instead of just restarting it makes for a game that's easy to pick up and put down, and little worry of progress loss.

Of course, none of that matters if one is still totally uninterested in the game.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    Most rage inducing loss for me was when the Chronicles of the Sword bug in Soul Calibur 3 (PS2) manifested on the memory card I used to store every single save from my import collection. Bug thankfully didn't render the card unusable, but it did wipe every save on there, including my almost complete Super Robot Wars MX save (Which I have never managed to get back into as a result).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited February 2012
    Reminds me of how I felt when all my data got corrupted on my PS2 memory card. Angered the hell out of me because I had a COMPLETE Battle Trophy collection in SO3! A COMPLETE BATTLE TROPHY COLLECTION! That took me 6 months to pull off!
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Quin wrote: »
    Most rage inducing loss for me was when the Chronicles of the Sword bug in Soul Calibur 3 (PS2) manifested on the memory card I used to store every single save from my import collection. Bug thankfully didn't render the card unusable, but it did wipe every save on there, including my almost complete Super Robot Wars MX save (Which I have never managed to get back into as a result).

Oh, man, I remember that one. Luckily I'd put SC3 on its own card before I got hit with it.

Most recently for me was my PS3 YLODing. I'm still waiting on the repair so I can get the data off. Even just the thought of having to redo everything I had worked on in Arkham City and FFXIII frustrates me. I never 100%ed either one, but I was well on the way.....
  • caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    From 1989 all the way through 2005, I spent huge amounts of free time with console games, especially RPGs. But I haven't found many compelling games on home systems since about 2006. Aside from Persona 4, there hasn't been much to keep me interested besides some relatively short obscure/indie/freeware games. These days, if I'm at home with no particular plans, I usually spend time browsing favorite websites, and making posts on forums. Though I have been replaying the early parts of Dragon Warrior 2-4 lately...

If I get out of the house after work, and take trains or buses, then I'll usually bring a portable system with me. I focus a lot more on video games when I'm offline.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I can think of no time more aggravating to me than the night that my PSX memory card wiped on me after having made it to Avidea World in the original domestic release of Persona. Before the advent of mass game FAQs and strategy guides, I was pretty much on my own for that entire game, and had invested about 250 hours in the game by that point.

The rage was not a fleeting thing.
    edited February 2012
    Oh wow. Thats terrible.