If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

PS Vita

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited December 2012 in Miscellaneous Gaming
So...a combo of things came together to convince me to buy a Vita...

1. Sale going on today and tomorrow...ya get ACIII w/white Vita and 4mb stick for $200
2. P4G. Enough said.
3. Wife had no idea what else to get my for Christmas, and its been a while since I bought a new piece of pretty hardware.

Soooo...I'm setting it up, signing into the PSN store and what not. Looked through my history of games (looks like most of PS1 games and some of my PSP games will DL and work on Vita...BOY have I bought a lot of games!). I was looking at what to buy from PSN specifically for my Vita when I saw the ad for Playstation Plus. Now, I've avoided PSPlus on my PS3 for the longest. A few discounts on some PSN games didn't thrill me. But, I saw in addition to this add that you get to DL and play some pretty major Vita titles (Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Jet Set Radio HD, WipEout 2048, Gravity Rush and Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!, as well as Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.) for as long as you have your subscription . Seems like a no brainer.

Does anyone else have PS Plus? Do you think it's worth it? Why or why not?

Also, Vita owners (I'm looking at you, Chris), what PSN games do YOU recommend I grab?
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2012
    Virtue's Last Reward is great, Ragnarok Odyssey is fun online in bursts, Hot Shots Golf is solid, and you're already getting P4 Golden. Should be set.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Sweet. I was eyeballin' HSGolf...so i'll go ahead and grab that. BTW...have you checked out that PS Plus thing I mentioned? Looks like it's pretty new...I mean the part about getting those free Vita games...hmmm
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    JC my 3DS plus a 32 gig SD card cost me about $196(still have the 2 gig that came with it too). It's kinda your choice but the Vita memory card prices(at three times as much as a comparable SD card) leave much to be desired and 4 gigs usually gets filled up in no time flat with most devices.

I love industry standard stuff. It costs less and works just as good ^^
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I recommend Gravity Rush and Disgaea 3 (if you don't have that for the PS3).
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    My favourite Vita game is the MGS HD collection.

Retro City Rampage is also tremendous fun.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited November 2012
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    JC my 3DS plus a 32 gig SD card cost me about $196(still have the 2 gig that came with it too). It's kinda your choice but the Vita memory card prices(at three times as much as a comparable SD card) leave much to be desired and 4 gigs usually gets filled up in no time flat with most devices.

I love industry standard stuff. It costs less and works just as good ^^

Totally agree with you. In fact, the memory card was the single biggest reason I didn't get a Vita a long time ago. People told me, "You can get a Vita for $250". I said, "No, I can't....it will cost me $350". To me, anything over $300 for a handheld gaming system is a bit much.

With that being said, the system is made and Sony isn't budging on their proprietary hardware. (No surprise....these ARE the guys who came up with the UMD after all. Thankfully, they have moved on overall price and value. This new sale brought it down to $200, and threw in AC III and a 4GB card that I can use for a couple of games. I still bought the 32gb deal, of course, but its now down to "Only" $80 on Amazon. So, I paid about $280 total, and got a good title with the system to boot. For $50 more (For PS plus), you also get 3 really great titles, plus a few secondary deals. That's $330 for 4 very solid games, 3 pretty good ones, and the system with 32gb. Even with the 3DS' reduced price, the Vita is now a lot closer to being 'competitive,' thanks to this Black Friday sale and the value adds, IMHO. (too bad the price drop isn't permanent!)
    I recommend Gravity Rush and Disgaea 3 (if you don't have that for the PS3).

I get Gravity Rush with the PSPlus deal and it was the first title I DL'd. I really like flying through the city with the gravity mechanic around the huge city. It's very pretty. I'm not sure how I feel about the game play yet. When doing flying kick attacks, the camera moves around quick, and goes all over (in respects to what direction is down), which does a bloody good job of disorienting me. I thought about getting D3...but I already have the PS3 version. I hate paying for the same game twice unless the 2nd copy is REALLY cheap. I did get P4...but it seems to me they put a lot more effort into upgrading that for the Vita. What do you think? Does P3 for the Vita go the extra mile to make the extra purchase worth it?

Retro City Rampage is also tremendous fun.
    I'm eyeballin' that one REAL closely. Hmmmmm.
    edited November 2012
    I never played the PS3 version of Disgaea 3, but given that the PS3 guide is ok to use for the Vita gameplay, I take it not too much is different. ;P
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I just bit the bullet and got the 32GB card. It doesn't feel good to pay those prices, but what can you do?
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I don't own one, but had a blast playing MGS HD, Uncharted, Ragnarok, and Mortal Kombat. It really is a gorgeous piece of hardware!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited November 2012
    I just bit the bullet and got the 32GB card. It doesn't feel good to pay those prices, but what can you do?
    Not a lot, I'm afraid. What I did was I considered it part of the 'system price' and pulled the trigger when I felt that the overall cost was in a more comfortable place.

I don't own one, but had a blast playing MGS HD, Uncharted, Ragnarok, and Mortal Kombat. It really is a gorgeous piece of hardware!
    Sweet. I'll keep those titles in mind. What did you like about Ragnorak the most?
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2012

be like me and avoid the vita altogether...(nah...just kidding because it's just me...go make your own choice! My thing from a gamer perspective is that most of the games are just ps3 ports thus far...I love playing all sides of things ^^)

Despite the fact that I really don't like Sony anymore most of my recent points/arguments are basically business/armchair businessman. The Vita's design was probably made to be hackerproof with high-end hardware rather than thinking about what the consumer was willing to pay or buy(you can see some of this is FFXIV's original design: try to make a hackerproof game but forget to make it fun to play). To add to the business angle my sister found this article that said that Sony's investor status had been downgraded due to BBB complaints and mounting debts. This means that people will be less likely to lend them money in the future and for gamers this means that R&D may get shelved to save $$$.(err..PS4 or game licenses)

Who knows what's next but I think I'm pretty good at this "playing businessman" sideline of mine...but we'll see...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I like Ragnarok because it can be played in short bursts and looks fantastic. Nothing new or innovative about it, but its a handheld mmo.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited November 2012
    On the question about PS+: In my opinion it is worth it. I've gotten Gravity Rush, Uncharted: GA, Mutant Blobs and one more game from the EU PS+, add all the PS3 games, and the deal is crazy. On top of that, I got PS+ for 75% of its regular price, and it's a freaking steal.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    How did you get PS+ for such a steep discount?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Since no one else mentioned it Silent Hill: Book of Memories is a pretty good purchase as long as you aren't expecting a Diablo clone!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited November 2012
    How did you get PS+ for such a steep discount?

In September, there was a 25% discount on EU PS+. Bought a year immediately, since I was happy with my current PS+ sub.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    I can attest to Virtue's Last Reward being great, probably among my top three games of the year overall at present.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Hero Killer IdHero Killer Id Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I purchased the Vita first week just to support a system I hope continues to bring the RPGs. That said though I still only have one game Hot Shots Golf and I've played the heck out of it. Looking to get P4 soon since I've never played my PS2 copy thats still in its shrink wrap LoL. Also considering D3 but have it on PS3.
    edited December 2012
    I can attest to Virtue's Last Reward being great, probably among my top three games of the year overall at present.

I endorse this quote. If you never played it, although its not on the Vita, get 999 too.