If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Your GOTY 2012

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited January 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
End of the year snuck up on me, and I just noticed we don't have a thread for this yet so maybe it snuck up on others too. I copied last year's GOTY post below. I'm in the middle of two great 2012 games right now and want to finish them before weighing in with my picks (The Walking Dead and the much cheerier Borderlands 2). Mainstream GOTYs have been all over the place this year, and my experience has been that there isn't 1 amazing game that blew away a majority of gamers in 2012.

Reply with the following:

GOTY: Pretty self explanatory. Any game in any genre that came out this year is eligible, and if something came out late December last year that can count that to just avoid any questionable situations.

GOTY Runner-Up: The second/third best game you played this year. This is for everyone who loved too many games to list only one.

Anti GOTY: The worst game you played this year. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad game either.

Anti GOTY Runner-Up: The second/third worst games this year. For those of us who want to dishonor even more games for being crappy!

Anything Else: Want to add your own category? Go right ahead! Anything from "GOTY that didn't come out this year" to "Most Surprising/Disappointing" is up for grabs and makes for a more interesting read.
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I have to say, for me personally, there hasn't been a game that has deserved to win a GOTY award. Not saying that there havn't been games I have enjoyed, it's just that, for me, it's felt a little strange in the game department this year (probably have more games I havn't played then played from what IU've bought this year >_> Damn my collecting addiction).

That said, if I were to give the award to any game, it would probably be Mass Effect 3. Ignoring the let down of the last 10 minutes, it was a good ending to a great series.

Runners up would probably go to Endless Space, a game that i easily lost 40 hours in, which with my LoL addiction, is nothing to shine away from.

Anti GOTY would fall in the same category. I've enjoyed most of the games I've played this year, to some extent or another. And nothing from what I've played (noting I can still be picky with what I buy) has been in the Magna Carta degree of terribleness.

That said, take your pick of Assasins Creed 3, Paper Mario 3DS, and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. All which have fallen far below what they could and should have been. (Paper Mario, why can't you reach your TYD era again? why???)

For other awards.
    Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask wins best handheld game. League of Legends wins most time played. And Tales of Graces f wins most copies purchased (US and Pal).
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Going to wait until I've had a chance to play Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3 and XCOM before deciding on GOTY.

Looking over the games I beat this year, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Dark Souls
    2. The Witcher 2: The Assassins of Kings: Enhanced Edition
    3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    4. Blade Runner
    5. Alpha Protocol
    6. Dishonored
    7. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
    8. The Walking Dead
    9. Snatcher
    10. Dear Esther

I've played a whole load of other games this year, but I think the only other two I made significant progress in were Risen 2, which sucked, and Mass Effect 3, which was largely a more-of-the-same sequel to ME2. Didn't feel like finishing either of them.

EDIT: Updated with TWD

EDIT2: Changed the ranking of TWD and Snatcher because, in fairness, what TWD is trying to achieve is something that's never really been "properly" done before, so I can forgive its failings a little more than I can Snatcher, which was basically just a crappy adventure game with (admittedly) gorgeous aesthetic design.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    I'd give them to the following -

GOTY: Virtue's Last Reward, because I haven't fanboyed enough elsewhere. Loved damn near everything about this game, pretty much a perfect fit for me.

GOTY Runner-Up: Tales of Graces f. Not my favourite Tales game overall (third behind Symphonia and Vesperia), but does have the best battle system. Highly enjoyable to play and a decent, if not as good as some of the other Tales games, story. Can't wait for Xillia.

GOTY Honourable Mentions: Persona 4 Golden, would probably get just sneak ahead of VLR but it is an enhanced port and has gotten/is going to get enough love already. The Last Story, probably just behind Graces f, clich
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    GOTY: Xenoblade Chronicles. Even though I played it last year it came out in my region in 2012. Best game Ive played in over 15 years (Chrono Trigger being the last) and the second greatest soundtrack of all time (behind Final Fantasy VI)

GOTY Runner-Up: The Last Story, Hironobu Sakaguchi + Nobuo Uematsu, enough said

Anti GOTY: Final Fantasy XIII-2. This one isnt even close This is up there on the list of worst games I have ever played, how it managed to out suck Final fantasy XIII I will never know

Anti GOTY Runner-Up: The Walking dead. How this won multiple game of the year awards is beyond me, didnt care for the story or the characters and resorted to shock factor for the ending. Calling this a video game is a reach.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited December 2012
    GOTY: Dark Souls PC. The port has problems, but since mods render most of them moot I don't really care. Dark Souls remains probably the best game of this generation.

GOTY Runner-Up: Persona 4 Golden. My favourite PS2 game, now with more stuff and better textures. I could take or leave the new character herself, but she helps paper over some of the cracks in the late story so I guess she gets a pass. Plus, more Adachi, motorcycles, exciting new scenes of Yosuke humiliation etc.

Anti GOTY: Risen 2. Just a massive disappointment all round. I don't usually expect PB games to be polished, but they're usually at least fun. It says something that it took them a couple of months (or whatever it was) to patch in a key component of the battle system, and then launched the console version without it.

Anti GOTY Runner-Up: Hitman: Absolution. Boring, kinda broken and it ends just as it seems the story might actually be getting to something. I still don't know why I bought this.

Best Actually New Game: Hotline Miami. The soundtrack is forever burned into my brain, but that's a good thing.

Best Impenetrable Romance System: Dragon's Dogma. Is your true love that fat merchant you saved from prison? The blacksmith? The ****ing Jester? Considering how often you speak to him, is it not natural the Innkeeper would fall head over heels for you? Will your character suddenly turn out to be a pedophile? Dragon's Dogma, ladies and gentlemen.

'Wait, when did I buy this' Award: Inquisitor. Seriously when did I buy this?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2012
    Oh I am going to get flamed for this...

GOTY: Xenoblade Chronicles. I hadn't felt the way I felt when I beat this game in years. Good story, good characters, good battles, good music, and the environments were just so beautiful. I'd be impossible for me to NOT call this the game of the year.

GOTY Runner-up: Mass Effect 3. If we ignore the problem with the last 20 minutes of the game, this came ridiculously close to being my GOTY. The only one that almost surpassed this was Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time...and they were apart from 1 point in my mind!

Anti GOTY: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Sure I didn't play through the campaign and did a few online multiplayer games with a friend, but still...it didn't click with me, AT ALL.

Anti GOTY Runner-up: Zone of the Enders HD. Not a bad game by any means, but its age REALLY shows with the voices and story.

MMO I Can Find Myself Continually Playing: Guild Wars 2. I've already clocked in over 300 hours in this game, and I foresee myself doing that more what with the constant patches to how classes work coming every 2 weeks to a month.

Most Surprising: Resident Evil 6. I didn't think that they could have made the game feel like more of a RE game while at the same time making it feel like less of one. They actually pulled it off.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I cant decide on My Goty Because most of the games Iv played this year were great but I have some honorable mentions, Dark Souls PC, borderlands PC, FFXIII-2 PS3, Dragons Dogma PS3 and Mugen Souls PS3

The game I didnt like this year was the witcher 2 on the xbox 360
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    The 'Goldion Crusher' Award (GOTY) - 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generations - PS3
    The 'Goldion Hammer' Award (GOTY Runner Up) - 2nd Super Robot Wars Z - Saisei-hen - PSP

It's been an amazing year for SRW, simple as.

Other runners up:
    Final Fantasy Type-0 (PSP)
    Total War Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai (PC) - Wins the Shinkiro Award for best RTS of the year
    Guild Wars 2 (PC)
    BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (VITA) - 'Super Asia' Award for fighter of the year

The 'Bootfighter Windom XP' Award (Best Indie) - FTL: Faster Than Light - PC.

The 'Yes, X is in Super Robot Wars' Award (Biggest surprise) - The Secret World - PC

The '00 Qan[T]' Award (Short but fantastic) - Ether Vapor Remaster - PC

The 'Third Impact' Award (Wait, what?) - Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3

The 'ZAKU Warrior Live Ver.' Award (Stinker of the year) - Mass Effect 3 - PC
    You had one job BioWare, ONE JOB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    GOTY: Xenoblade, naturally. Actually, it's my GOTY for the last three years (JP release, EU release, and finally NA release this year).

GOTY Runner-Up: Growlanser IV, The Last Story

Anti GOTY (also Biggest Letdown): Diablo III. What utter garbage.

Best 2012 Game Soundtrack: Final Fantasy XIII-2. An impressive and ambitious effort from Masashi Hamauzu, Mitsuto Suzuki, and Naoshi Mizuta.

2012 Soundtrack runner-up: Gravity Daze (Gravity Rush)
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    GOTY: Xenoblade. I can't remember the last game that had me happily OCD for so long, and had me enjoy it so much, I immediately did a new game +

GOTY Runner-Up: Virtue's Last Reward. Really good game and had me hooked. Missed the top spot because a glitch is preventing me from viewing the last scene. Mass Effect 3 is also a runner up. Might have competed for first if the endings were better the first time around. Catherine was so different from most other games in both gameplay and story. I'd love to see more like this!

Obscure Honorable Mention - Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom - This is my first story-only game and I really enjoyed this.

Anti GOTY: Gungnir. I'm with lolwhoops. I keep trying these Dept Heaven games and hating them. I'm stopping now myself.

Anti GOTY Runner-Up: Couldn't get into Growlanser Tactics either.

Best Soundtracks - Xenoblade, Last Story, Mass Effect 3 - EDIT I am also enjoying Jormungand's FFXIII-2 pick. Some awesome music there.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    GOTY:

#1 P4: The Golden.
    #2 Dishonoured.
    #3 The Last Story.

[Xenoblade was 2011 for PAL gamers]

Worst of the year:

#1 Resident Evil 6.
    #2 Silent Hill HD Collection.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    Alright, my picks:

GOTY: Diablo III. I don't care what anyone says, this game was brilliantly designed and I loved every second of it.

GOTY Runners Up: Tales of Graces F, The Walking Dead

GOTY Honorable Mention: Persona 4 Golden. As much as I'd love to give this a tie with D3 for my GotY pick, it IS still a remake. A fantastic remake to be sure, but it's had its time in the sun.

Anti-GOTY: EvilQuest. If you don't know what this game is or even remember it at all, look up my review of it from January.

Anti-GOTY Runner Up: Torchlight 2. Not because it's a bad game, but because it's a completely uninspired game. It boggles my mind how many people decry Diablo 3 and heap praise on Torchlight 2, because the latter is pretty much an enhanced version of Diablo 2. Seriously, I could go play Diablo 2 and I would get pretty much the same experience. I played through it to the end of act 2 and quit out of boredom. Diablo 3 attempted a thousand and one new things and gave the dungeon crawling genre a much needed breath of fresh air. Torchlight 2 rests on the laurels of a 12 year old game, and to me, that doesn't deserve praise.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited December 2012
    GOTY: Xenoblade, Final Fantasy XII - annoying story elements + (imo) better music = game of gen candidate.

GOTYRU: Virtue's Last Reward (only game I stayed up until 4am to finish) and Crashmo (addictive as all heck)

Most time spent this year: Pokemon BW2 (300 hours between import and domestic versions)

Anti-GOTY: Didn't play anything that came out in 2012 and would qualify. Only thing that personally offended me that I played in 2012 was FF2.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2012
    If anyone's curious, last years's GOTY and GOTY Runner-up based on our posts were Portal 2 and Skyrim. As for this year, I feel similar to 7th in that there were some fairly good games but nothing was clearly ahead of the pack. Here are my picks:

GOTY: Tales of Graces F - Basically this game took the award when Borderlands 2 dropped the ball with its various issues as I continued to play it. Graces was a wonderful experience that never once upset me, and the battle system was just superb while still retaining the charm of the Tales series. The constant friendship dialogue was a little too overbearing, but that doesn't really matter when everything else was so fun and relaxing to play.

GOTY Runner-up: Borderlands 2 - This was a shoe in for GOTY when I first started playing. I loved nearly everything about it from start to finish, but anyone whose read my posts will know I experienced an unbelievable amount of bugs and glitches that hampered my experience negatively. Although BL2 is the most fun I've had playing a game this year, it also holds the dubious honor of being the most frustrating game I played all year besides Diablo 3.

Anti GOTY: Resident Evil 6 - Not much to say about this one, other than that it just felt like a really crappy game. Only played as 1 character before I had enough and returned my rental. A huge step down from both 4 and 5.

Anti GOTY Runner-up: Pokemon Conquest - Frankly I just didn't like Conquest too much. The maps were boring and repetitive, fights weren't all that interesting, and the story was even worse and more unimportant than a main series game.

Most Disappointing: Diablo 3 - Diablo 3 was 1 part good, and 99 parts bad. I think most people were expecting something of much higher quality than we got. Even though I spent many summer hours with friends playing D3, we all agree that the game was a chore and nowhere near the quality it should have been. I'll never touch D3 again regardless of what expansion packs or patches they release.

Most Surprising: Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations - Here's a game my friend convinced me to get to play with him around the time Graces came out. Knowing nothing of Naruto, I took a chance on it loved how simple yet strategic combat was. There were plenty of characters and strategies to use effectively, and online was extremely entertaining to play with my friend and others in spite of the juvenile behavior we ran into on a constant basis.

Wish I Didn't Buy: Gungnir

Just Missed GOTY: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited December 2012
    GOTY: XCOM Enemy Unknown. Loved the original games and this reboot took almost everything I loved about the originals, eliminated most of the annoying stuff, and modernized everything. The end result was a fantastic package that was still challenging but eminently playable.

Best Writing: The Walking Dead. I'm beginning to agree that the actual gameplay was lacking, but that still doesn't undermine the intensely powerful story that was delivered.

Best Fanservice: Persona 4: Arena. This was a good fighting game, but for someone in love with the Persona universe, this had almost everything you could ask for. Tons of new story for the Persona 4 crew, the return of the Persona 3 cast, a fully playable story with Elizabeth... this was fanservice at its finest, and I loved every minute of it. I just hope they follow through with the teasers they planted here.

Best PC game: FTL. I'd like to put Endless Space here, but I just haven't played enough of it yet.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I hate this, it requires me to recall which games I've played this year and then decide which one was the best. XD'

The most notable games I played this year in this order...
    1. Star Stealing Prince
    2. Legend of Grimrock
    3. Beyond the Beyond
    4. Tales of Graces
    5. The Secret World

So I guess my GOTY is Star Stealing Prince and runner-up would be Legend of Grimrock.

Anti-GOTY would be anything from Idea Factory. And runner-up another game of the same company. =D
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    There are still a couple major 2012 games I want to play, and a couple I haven't finished yet, but I think I can toss my picks in now.

GOTY: Borderlands 2. Of the 2012 games I played, this was the most fun one that didn't carry some major flaw that tried my patience. It's my GOTY mainly because of that; there were others I enjoyed more at their peaks, but loathed more at their low points. It helped that I didn't play Borderlands 1, so the whole "no good loot" thing I read about didn't bother me without the comparison, and I played it after some patches, so I didn't encounter the 1.0 glitches.

GOTY Runner Up: Civ V: Gods and Kings. This should be my GOTY, but it feels wrong giving it to an expansion now that DLC isn't seen as a new game in the same way expansions often were back in the day. It overhualed and vastly improved Civ 5, and I spent well over 100 hours playing this. This will be my go-to strategy game for a long time.

Anti GOTY: Gungnir hands down. The only game I played this year that I would call bad. I tried it twice: ragequit the first time, and boredomquit the second time. A horrible inferface, battles that are way too long, a story that unfolds too slowly, combat mechanics designed to make the game slow and unfair... just a rough, terrible, boring game that does everything wrong a tactics game can do. I don't have an Anti GOTY Runner Up because nothing else came close to this.

Thank God for Kickstarter Indie GOTY: FTL: Faster Than Light. I enjoyed this so much more than I expected to. Learning from my mistakes, figuring out tactics, surviving by the skin of my teeth, dying by the skin of my teeth. It does everything a randomized game should do, does it all very well, and uses a pausable realtime combat system that's perfect for the mechanics.

Potential GOTY Brought Down by the Worst Flaws: Tough, as this describes many 2012 releases I played, but I'll give it to Diablo 3.

Most Disappointing: Assassin's Creed 3. I wanted this game to be good SO BAD but gave up after 15-20 hours.

Most Forgettable: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I can't remember two things about this game. I had to Google it just now to spell it correctly. I know I played it for like 80 hours and was bored almost the entire time.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Damien256Damien256 New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Kingdoms of Amalur was my hands-down goty. On xenoblades release date I was maybe 75% the way through amalur and I had actually taken a week off work to dig into Xenoblade but after like 3-4 hours I went back to KOAR and just played the HELL out of it for the whole week. Got every trophy in the main game and in the 2 add ons and took a second and third character past level 30, put close to 400 hours into it overall. I just loved exploring the world and the variety of play, plus I tend to be a mad quest-completionist.

However now that I've put 30 hours into xenoblade (finally giving it my full attention) I can see it's going to be right up there on my favorite games list. The quests in the game are tickling my addiction tendencies just like KOAR did.
    Now Playing: xenoblade chronicles