If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

End of Generation Round-Up: Great Games you may have Missed!

TGBarighmTGBarighm MemberFull Members
edited April 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Okay, so it's the end of the generation. The next E3 will be filled with games for the next consoles, there aren't many new current gen games left, and the fall schedule will likely be dominated by next gen. Stores will start clearing out their current gen inventory and we'll start seeing lots of bargain bin sales. I've also noticed a number of games disappearing from Xbox Live.

I consider this the last summer to get your hands on the older current gen games. Do you believe there is a great launch game we should have played? Got any recommendations? Let us know so we can keep an eye out!

Just to start things off, here are a few games you may have passed on, but are totally worth the end of gen price:

BULLETSTORM: Ever shoot a sniper rifle, curve it around cover, and direct the bullet into the back of your target's head? What about planting a grenade on a guy's face, kicking him in the balls (just for the insult), roping him with an energy whip and flinging his explosive corpse into his friends? That's Bulletstorm. Sure, you can play the game as a ho-hum shooter, but why would you when there is a plethora of explosive barrels and deadly traps you can use? Oh, and you get to control a robo-godzilla at one point. Yes, it's as cool as it sounds.

ENSLAVED: Excellent dialogue, believable characters, and a lot of great set-piece battles. While not big on replay value, it's still a journey well worth undertaking..

NIER:
While the gameplay proper can be awkward, it has the kind of story JRPG fans say the 360 desperately needed. Don't miss out on this one.

FEAR: Never played, but I hear the first is awesome. I tried to find it but couldn't.

All consoles are fine. Don't be afraid to list a few old PC indie RPGs (anything indie is easy to miss).

Games from the last couple of years will likely be floating around for a while, so let's focus on the older titles. And anyone who mentions Steam sales gets shot.

Nobody has any games to recommend?

Comments

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited April 2013
    I'm always kind of amazed that Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins gets so little recognition despite being a) the first new installment in the GnG franchise in 15 years, b) really ****ing awesome, and c) one of the few great games for PSP that isn't a port or remake. It even has a kiddy-mode (ie any mode except Ultimate) for people who like the aesthetics but can't stand losing. What's not to like?
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Deadly Premonition: Not a great game per se, but it was incredibly fun exploring the town of Greenvale and seeing all the baffling and insane things that were happening there. Originally an XBOX exclusive in the US, PS3 has a Director's Cut coming out very soon.

Alpha Protocol: Think it has been discussed enough around here, but it is still worth a go if you haven't played it before.

Sleeping Dogs: A newer release, but it still seems to be widely overlooked. The flow of the game is a bit choppy at times, but the individual story beats are great and the game plays really well.

Eternal Sonata: Probably well known enough that I didn't need to list it, but it amazes me that this game was practically a launch title and it may still be the best looking game on the 360. Certainly one of my favorites of this generation.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    I'm always kind of amazed that Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins gets so little recognition

I never knew this game existed. Now I'm interested. See, this is what I want this thread to be about.
    Eternal Sonata: Certainly one of my favorites of this generation.

I've got my eye on it since the battle system looks fun, but the only thing holding me back is the story. I don't really care to learn about Chopin's life. Is the story too heavily focused on his life and all that stuff or is it a legit JRPG story that merely references his life?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Leaving off any remakes...

Folklore - I plowed through this for Extralife, and found it to be a great little game. Love the art style and storyline.

Rage - Some of the design of this is pretty old-school, but it's still worth a try. It's slightly closer to the FPS side than Borderlands, but not as FPS as Bioshock Infinite.

Saboteur (PS3) - A rare game where the PS3 version is the best by a wide margin. Also a very well done game in general.

The Ratchet and Clank Future trilogy - For people who never played Ratchet and Clank, or only played the 2 most recent mediocre entries, these 3 games are much better. (Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time)

Asura's Wrath - If you take this one episode at a time and don't binge on it, it's fairly entertaining.

Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse. - The best Telltale game I've ever played. I really enjoyed every bit of this series.

Tales of Monkey Island - I feel like a lot of people missed this. If you liked Monkey Island 1 & 2, this was a worthy successor. Especially the final episode where they bring back insult sword fighting, but you have to simultaneously insult one person and complement the other.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Great game, but don't play the Wii version. Wait for Muramasa Rebirth.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2013
    Might be a bit premature, considering it looks like this console transition is going to be a very weird one. A lot of games are being announced for current and next-gen platforms simultaneously, and I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a trend, even at E3.

But either way, some more suggestions:

Demon's Souls - Chances are you've heard of and/or played this already, but if you haven't, it's a fantastic game, and easy and cheap to find thanks to the PS Greatest Hits version.

Catherine - This one might be a challenge to track down, but if you can find it, you won't find a more unique game anywhere. It's by Atlus's Persona team, and it's a weird, story-heavy action puzzle game. Very unique, very stylish.

Valkyria Chronicles - Another game that's hard to find now, but it's visually stunning and ridiculously fun to play. The later levels get really frustrating, but the majority of the game is a blast.

Heavy Rain - By the folks who brought you Indigo Prophecy, this is a weird detective-style murder mystery game filled with quick time events. It's very unique and the story is pretty damn cool, definitely not the sort of thing you see very often.

3D Dot Game Heroes - Imagine a classic NES game like Zelda converted into a 3D voxel-based engine. That's what this game is. It's weird, it's old school, but it's a blast.

Little King's Story - If you haven't played this game and you own a Wii, you've done yourself a huge disservice. Easily one of the best games on the system.

Fragile Dreams - While the mechanics are deliberately stiff and the gameplay is pretty minimal, the haunting atmosphere and beautiful visual design makes it totally worth playing.

House of the Dead: Overkill - If you like Grindhouse films like Planet Terror, you will love this light-gun-inspired game. Filled with over-the-top violence and profanity, it's short but sweet, and great to play co-op.

Too Human - I'm really disappointed that this game never got a completed story, but the game is still a very unique take on the looter genre. Fast, really strange combat, and an interesting sci-fi-meets-norse-myth story.

Rise of the Argonauts - Trent Seely did a writeup for this one in our Most Underrated Games feature. It's not the best game ever made, and it's got a few bugs, but it's also got one of the most unique character upgrade systems I've ever seen, where the choices you make in conversations determine which skill trees you get points in.

Lost Odyssey - One of the first JRPGs on this gen, if you haven't tried it, it's worth playing for the "1000 Years of Dreams" short stories alone.

Overlord/Overlord 2 - This is a really charming game that went completely under a lot of peoples radars. The gameplay is similar to Little King's Story or Pikmin, except you play an evil overlord who's job it is to conquer the world and murder sheep.

Hunted: The Demon Forge - Again, not the most amazing game ever made, but it's got a great cast of characters and an interesting story that leads to a dramatic twist ending based on certain choices you make.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game - This game made a splash when it came out and then faded into obscurity. You can get it for like $5 now, and it's good fun. Very faithful to the movie franchise, and even features the voice talents of the original cast.

The Simpsons Game - Like Ghostbusters, it made waves when it arrived and then disappeared just as fast. Also dirt cheap. It's a pretty basic platformer/puzzler, but the humor is terrific. Some of the best writing the series has seen since the good old days.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited April 2013
    This is looking to be a pretty good list. Most of my choices have already been added, except for:

Resonance of Fate - A bit rough around the edges, but has very distinctive atmosphere and gameplay.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    If anyone has recommendations for first year 360 games, let me know. I didn't actually get a 360 until Halo 3 came out.
    A lot of games are being announced for current and next-gen platforms simultaneously, and I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a trend, even at E3.

They did that last gen with the PS2/3 and that didn't stop all the stores in my area from clearing house. I ended up really regretting it. The number of games I could have picked up on the cheap...3 months later they were all gone. Some GameStop employees went on a huge spending spree and bought them all up (or so the manager at my local GS told me). I'm not making that mistake again and I'm sure a few others did too. Recommend away!

This isn't just a 360 thread. This is for everyone. All consoles welcomed!
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited April 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I've got my eye on it since the battle system looks fun, but the only thing holding me back is the story. I don't really care to learn about Chopin's life. Is the story too heavily focused on his life and all that stuff or is it a legit JRPG story that merely references his life?

There are parallels drawn between Chopin's life and the characters/setting/plot of the game, but if the game didn't take pains to point them out, it would seem like a normal JRPG type plot. For the most part, the real-life Chopin stuff is only addressed during the intermissions between acts. It really is worth trying out.