If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

I just had a retro nerdgasm!

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited May 2013 in Role Playing Games
You know I'm going to gush all over this on the next RPGBacktrack we record.

Wizardry 6,7 and...best of all... 8... are all on sale now on GoG. They are all harder to find (much less get to install and run on modern machines), but are now all available thanks to the power of GoG.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to smoke a cigarette. Awwwwwwww....life is GOOD.
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited May 2013
    Wizardry 8 is the best of all? I avoided it because I don't like the graphics.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited May 2013
    Maybe I'll get them if I ever get around to finishing Ultima 7...
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I liked Wiz 7 more than Wiz 8, and for a change (for me) it was all about the battle system. Wiz 8's battles took forever. The problem was part technical, though, so I wonder if they'll work better on a modern rig?
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    I like eight much better because it felt like an evolution of the tried and true grid based dungeon crawler. Character positioning in the party was much more important. And since monsters were not tied down to a square or two in front of you, it really changed up how AoE spells worked. It was easy to get caught flat footed and have your party surrounded real fast.

Battles could take longer depending on what 'mode' the game was played in. It definitely takes a little longer than Wiz 7 or M&M games, but not super long. It could be a little irritating when you're fighting 12 crabs and they move one atta time. (and sometimes the computer takes a little time to think, IIRC). But it wasn't super detrimental. It's one of the very few dungeon crawler style RPGs that I have played all the way through​. And that's not small feat for any game. :) It will be interesting to see how it runs on a more modern machine with GoG's set up. I'm going to test it this weekend, and I'll let you all know.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited May 2013
    You can see a video of combat at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5PAKQ6MZGE . Go to about 4m30s I think to see the start. He's playing in 'continuous' mode which plays like a real time deal. I usually play in turn based deal...but for easier battles (or just making things move a bit faster), this mode does get things moving along...especially at the beginning when you are relying mostly on physical attacks anyway.
    edited May 2013
    I think it's just that I generally only like grid-based dungeon crawlers. Just can't start to like others. It was the same for Might&Magic for me. Loved the series until it switched away from grid-based, then never played a game of that series again (unless we count Heroes of Might&Magic). Only reason why I even like this genre is because of some older Sega games: Phantasy Star I, Sword of Vermillion and Shining in the Darkness.

Oh and did you know? In 1999 a remake of Wizardry I-II-III was released for SNES. That one is pretty decent too. Must be like the newest SNES game ever released. Haha.

And another Wizardry-fact: There is one available on PSN.
    edited May 2013
    Sweet. LOLz. SNES conversions FTW. I couldn't get into those, myself.

I know what you mean, especially in the context of M&M. Give Wiz8 a try. Trust me on this, lifting the grid restriction works better here because they though it through and made other changes along with that to make it work...unlike M&M which just seemed to take away the grid, but little else. For example, If you google other gameplay footage, you can see where placement of AoE spells feels a lot more organic. Combined with the ability to choose how much power you put into them, the decisions you make in slinging spells becomes much more strategic. The ability to move your party members to different 'quadrants' in a circle that protects your squishies in the middle is also very interesting.

As this guy mentions in the video, it is pretty though when you first start (Darn weakling low level characters), but once you get over the hump, it's great. It was much better than say, the M&M transition you mention. M&M non-grid rpgs feel absolutely primative next to Wiz8.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2013
    Well, if any games could make it to the SNES, it'd be those games. Pure turn-and-menu based games.... Not sure how much censorship Nintendo would have demanded though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited May 2013
    The SNES version is pretty good, it keeps the story and gameplay, but actually adds fairly nice graphics to it. It is however significantly harder before all the cheats don't work (like overwriting memory bits via Bishop's identify). They also changed several maps for some unknown reason, though. That made me less happy.
    edited May 2013
    I believe I played the console version a LONG time ago, but I don't remember.

So, I fired up Wiz 6-8 from my GOG purchase. My impression after running with each game using the default party for about 30 minutes....
    Keep in mind for ANY of these games, it really pays to spend some time with the instruction books. This was long before they had in game tutorials to hold your hand.

Wiz 6- Seems to be an old school dungeon slosh...very hard. My party tied from a group of bats. Not sure what I was supposed to do there in order NOT to die. And, unless I missed something, you're going to need grid paper, kiddies.

Wiz 7- Wizardry Gold has the best intro music ever, but takes a solid 10 minutes to get started. Serious. The intro moves really slow, and I see no way past it. Even after it has run once, it wants to run every time. EVIL. This is disappointing because I've wanted to run this game since it came out. So, I loaded up the DOS version (In the 'extra downloads' section) and that ran just fine. At least I survived my encounters with the various aggressive wildlife there.

Wiz 8- Wow...what a jump. This game is just so much more playable right from the get go. As someone said on one of our podcasts, the battles DO move slower. That's because enemies literally move around on their turn as they attempt to surround the party, whereas in the other Wiz games, they're right in front of you all the time. It's important to move people around in your party line up if you do find yourself flanked or anything. Regardless, a lot of fun, as I was racking up skill points and stuff within my first few battles. I could feel the morphine drip starting again :)