If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

I love myself some GoG!

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited June 2013 in Role Playing Games
Ok...I just...man. I just LOVE GoG!

No DRM at all... and the classic RPGs just keep coming. I mentioned earlier that Wizardry 8, one of the best classic RPGs of all time (and a really hard one to find, much less get to work) was released on GoG not that long ago..giving me all kinds of nerd happiness. Now, they've released Jade Empire. Granted, you can actually find this one on Steam, I think, but...it's DRM free! And it's an absolute Bioware classic. Grab yours today! :)
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I've been wondering about giving Jade Empire a second chance (it's on XBL). I didn't like the slow, deliberate pace of the battle system, nor did I like the transition shooter sequences, but I only played the intro sequence. Maybe I gave up on it too soon.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2013
    GOG is great. I was just thinking a few months ago how much it sucked that I never got a chance to play Omikron: The Nomad Soul and then bam, GOG.

It's amusing that they changed their name from "Good Old Games" to "GOG" right before they started hosting Ultima IX though.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    GOG has a lot of great RPGs.
    Arcanum
    D&D (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape, etc)
    Jade Empire
    Might and Magic series
    Ultima series

I just bought the Wizardry games recently and will play 6 soon. 8 only launches from the installer for some reason, will have to find a fix for that. I don't want to have to uninstall/reinstall everytime I play it. XD
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2013
    They are having a huge sale right now and Torchlight is free. Check it out.

http://www.gog.com/news/2013_nodrm_summer_sale_begins_on_gogcom
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Right...and those sales are going to continue until July 4. Each day expect some games to be on SUPER SALE, similar to to a steam deal. Today, Might and Magic series is like 80 or 90% off. Tomorrow it will be something else. Usually, at the end, they rerun all the super sales, so if you missed one of the 24 hour deals you wanted, you may be in luck.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited June 2013
    Demon Stone is SO not an RPG.

Dungeon Keeper is a game I've always wanted to play. That will be worth the $3.
    edited June 2013
    I enjoyed Demon Stone...for the 5 hours it lasted. It was good that it stopped around that point :P I'm in no rush to run through it again.
    edited June 2013
    Grabbed Dungeon Keeper 2 and Anachronox.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    I've pretty much picked GOG clean of everything that interests me during past sales, but my digital backlog is finally low again so I grabbed some on-the-fence games.

NWN2 Complete -- I know Mask of the Betrayer is supposed to be the best thing Obsidian has created, but I've been sick of meh D&D RPGs for a long time, and that's what I heard NWN2 is.

Arcanum -- Bought a physical copy in 2008. Started it around the holiday season, bought new games, and played those instead. I'm more likely to reinstall a digital version and give it a second go.

Startopia -- A game I've had my eye on since it released in 2001. I think the middling CGW review kept it off my Christmas list that year. Finally caved 12 years later.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    they really need to put Conquer A.d 1086 on there is they want any of my money, that game is amazing but i cant run it even using a dos emulator
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited June 2013
    As a relative newbie to current PC gaming, I cashed in a number of titles on my wishlist.

Fallout 1 - Been on my radar for a while, since playing 3 and New Vegas on the PS3, but never had the means to play it. Not sure I'll take to the mechanics, but it's such a great setting and I've heard the writing is top notch.

To The Moon - A lot of folks on these boards have talked this one up and I've been waiting for the right time to pick it up.

Alpha Centauri - Civ + Sci-fi? Sign me up.

Quest for Glory 1-5 - Heard great things, but never had the chance to play it. Really need some new adventure games. Plus seemed like a great deal.

Miasmata - Another great deal on a game that looks like a throw back to Myst-like exploration.
    edited June 2013
    THose are some great games, SpaceLion. Alpha Centauri is a BLAST and used to be really hard to find before GoG got it. QfG is one of my fav series.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I only wish they had the Gold Box Games on there but sadly with the disintegration of TSR/SSI those games are lost for good and are abandon ware
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2013
    That's what they said about the Infinity Engine games, and System Shock 2. Have faith, GOG works in mysterious ways.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited June 2013
    jcservant wrote: »
    THose are some great games, SpaceLion. Alpha Centauri is a BLAST and used to be really hard to find before GoG got it. QfG is one of my fav series.

Yeah, I'm pumped to get home to my PC and start playing them, jc. I'm really curiously excited about the QfG games. I ashamedly hadn't heard of them until my friend mentioned they were on sale and talked them up. I never got to play many old adventure games growing up, but they always interested me.

It's the great thing about coming back to a platform like PC after 10+ years, there's so many great games that I can pick out to play. Especially with GoG.
    edited June 2013
    I only wish they had the Gold Box Games on there but sadly with the disintegration of TSR/SSI those games are lost for good and are abandon ware

I hear ya! They are some of my favorites. I've managed to get them working with DOSBOX, and in original Tandy sound! Tandy sound was the most awesome at the time because it was THREE electric sounds going at once instead of ONE like most IBMs! WOOT!! LOL
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    jcservant wrote: »
    I hear ya! They are some of my favorites. I've managed to get them working with DOSBOX, and in original Tandy sound! Tandy sound was the most awesome at the time because it was THREE electric sounds going at once instead of ONE like most IBMs! WOOT!! LOL

I would like to try some of the Gold Box games never played any of them.

They're not RPGs but I'm really hoping for the Jazz Jackrabbit and No One Lives Forever games to show up someday. I would buy Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines(I have it on Steam) again to have a DRM-free copy, maybe even at full price if it had some good extras.
    edited June 2013
    That's exactly what I do...I buy the DRM Free version on GoG even if I have the Steam version...though I'll generally wait for a sale if that's the case. Certain super awesome releases, like Wizardry 8 not too long ago, I buy right away at the asking price to support such awesome decision making :)