If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Vita or 3DS?

redwing42redwing42 Just MonikaFull Members
edited August 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
So, I've been planning on getting one of the current handhelds for a while, and due to a fortuitous circumstance, I will now be able to. Disregarding any sales/potential combo packs/etc., which system should I get. I don't have a commute to use either on, so it will primarily be played at home or while on vacation. I may get a PS4 at some point, but probably not until next year at the earliest. I enjoy all sorts of games, but especially SMT games, so I'm naturally torn between SMTIV on the 3DS and P4G on the Vita. I have a DS, but I never had a PSP, so I missed that set of games completely. Help me make a decision. Thanks!

Comments

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2013
    3DS, no question. All the Vita has going for it ATM are enhanced versions of Persona 4 and Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Sony seems to have completely given up on it as anything more than a second screen for the PS4. the 3DS is, by far, the dominant portable gaming platform this generation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited August 2013
    I own neither (yet), but I think the 3DS is a better choice from an RPG perspective. Fire Emblem: Awakening, SMT4, and Bravely Default are all of interest, and Virtue's Last Reward is dual platform.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited August 2013
    There's an interesting (at least to me, since I was part of it) piece going up on the site tomorrow that might be of assistance to you.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Por que no los dos?
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    The 3DS has more new RPGs in English at the moment, so I'd go with that if you want to get a handheld now. You could also sell off your DS to offset some of the cost if you don't need the GBA game-reading ability. If you were an importer and/or played most of your games in Japanese, the Vita might have a stronger case as its Japanese library is pretty good and the screen seems much sharper than the 3DS's.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Por que no los dos?

Because the fortunate circumstance allows me around $400 to play with, and not $700, which is what it would take right now to buy both with a couple games for each. I may end up with both eventually, but right now I'm picking up one and a couple games to get me started.
    edited August 2013
    riulyn wrote: »
    The 3DS has more new RPGs in English at the moment, so I'd go with that if you want to get a handheld now. You could also sell off your DS to offset some of the cost if you don't need the GBA game-reading ability. If you were an importer and/or played most of your games in Japanese, the Vita might have a stronger case as its Japanese library is pretty good and the screen seems much sharper than the 3DS's.

I do need to hang on to the DS for GBA games. I'll also probably let my daughter have it, if she finds a couple games she would like for it.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited August 2013
    3DS released and upcoming rpgs:

Bravely Default
    Chrimson Shroud (eShop)
    Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
    Devil Survivor: Overclocked
    Etrian Odyssey 4
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Inazuma Eleven 3
    Mario Sticker Star
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    Pokemon X/Y
    Shin Megami Tensei 4
    Tales of the Abyss 3D

I don't own a Vita, but if you also intend to play PSP games, then it might be a good buy. Just remember that some PSP games won't be available on Vita.
    edited August 2013
    Por que no los dos?

That's a ton of money, that's why. And given that the Vita makes the Wii U look like a software powerhouse, the 3DS is the better choice.
    Nim wrote: »
    I don't own a Vita, but if you also intend to play PSP games, then it might be a good buy. Just remember that some PSP games won't be available on Vita.

The PSP is still easily available however, and Sony has shown no signs of stopping repair support for the platform. If you wanna play PSP games, you're better off with a PSP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I'll trust you on that one.

Still play on my PSP and that is the reason I'm in no hurry to get a Vita.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited August 2013
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Because the fortunate circumstance allows me around $400 to play with, and not $700, which is what it would take right now to buy both with a couple games for each. I may end up with both eventually, but right now I'm picking up one and a couple games to get me started.

That's honestly what I meant. I wasn't expecting you to drop 700 bucks in one shot. I thought you were just talking about one and done and not getting the other. I have a 3DS only right now and I love it, but I'm probably going to get a Vita this Christmas to give myself both portable consoles.
    edited August 2013
    I think I have decided on the 3DS XL. I'm hoping everything processes before the end of the month (my wife and I won a contest) so that I can get in on the $30 credit for FE:A and SMTIV, though I may wait a little while before actually getting the device to see if it goes on sale first.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I have a DS XL and a Vita.

I actually prefer playing on the Vita. The system itself is really nice. Bright sharp screen, lightweight, fits my hands nicely. The 3DS XL makes my hands tired faster. I have to hold it just so in order to see the screen (with or without 3D) and it find it a bit heavy. If offered on both systems, I buy the game on the Vita.

That said, 3DS still has a bigger new game library, so I end up playing that one more.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Por que no los dos?
    Muy buena pregunta.

Many people already has both. The 3DS may have more games but the Vita has the Ys games.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    redwing42 wrote: »
    I think I have decided on the 3DS XL. I'm hoping everything processes before the end of the month (my wife and I won a contest) so that I can get in on the $30 credit for FE:A and SMTIV, though I may wait a little while before actually getting the device to see if it goes on sale first.

The 3DS XL is 25 bucks off at Target this week.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Vita's $199 for all models right now at Best Buy and Target, so the price difference isn't huge.
    edited August 2013
    kazriko wrote: »
    Vita's $199 for all models right now at Best Buy and Target, so the price difference isn't huge.

It's set to be $199 everywhere starting tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited August 2013
    4GB - $15 (-$5)
    8GB - $25 (-$15)
    16GB - $40 (-$20)
    32GB - $80 (-$20)

I might end up talking myself into a 16GB...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited August 2013
    Shaymin wrote: »
    4GB - $15 (-$5)
    8GB - $25 (-$15)
    16GB - $40 (-$20)
    32GB - $80 (-$20)

I might end up talking myself into a 16GB...

Those are official prices now? Source? Not that I particularly care, as I'm fine with my 4....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    This makes me rethink my decision. Haven't purchased yet, but already had a plan together to get a 3DSXL, FE:A, SMTIV, EOIV (with the ATLUS Sale and the $30 credit form the first two) and Animal Crossing. Now I've got to re-evaluate, since I could get the VITA, 16GB and PS+ for $300 and get a significant library of games right there. Plus later access to the Persona games and a decent back catalog of PSP games.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited August 2013
    Those are official prices now? Source? Not that I particularly care, as I'm fine with my 4....

Horse's mouth. Also, I stand corrected on the 8GB - it's $20, not $25.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Still a bit high if you ask me. I may end up picking up a Vita just to grab some past games that I missed. I've wanted to try out MGS:Peace Walker for a while now.