If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Project Phoenix real-time strategy Kickstarter with industry vets attached

JormungandJormungand MemberFull Members
edited August 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
I figured I ought to preempt this news before it potentially gets misreported and people get their hopes up. The short of it is, this new game, a real-time strategy game, is being co-developed by several Western and Japanese industry vets (including ol' Nobuo Uematsu himself as lead composer).

I felt it was important to make this topic because the game seems to be getting more attention as an RPG. It's important to understand why there's confusion. On the Kickstarter page itself, note these two blocks of text.

First, big and bold:
Project Phoenix is a JRPG with a squad based RTS game design, brought to you by veteran developers and creators from the East and West.

Then, later on:
Project Phoenix is a SQUAD-BASED, REAL-TIME STRATEGY GAME combined with strong Japanese RPG design influences, brought to you by top Eastern and Western creators who have worked on many blockbuster game titles.

Furthermore, if you just watched the first part of video, you would be given a strong impression that this game is not only a JRPG, but that it's also very much old-school in nature. However, this impression is directly at odds with two important cues in the video itself:
1) A "from the creators who brought you" message precedes a string of mostly modern triple-A titles that literally have nothing to do with "old-school" in any sense.
2) The music is not old-school at all.

Anyway, the Kickstarter easily doubled its goal, practically overnight. I'm happy for them and I like the idea of bringing together an international team of industry veterans to work on an indie title. However, there's definitely a feeling of misdirected, or at least incomplete, advertising.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

Comments

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    I think people are going to very quickly catch on Uematsu's not a huge coup -- he's a free agent who will work on whatever he finds personally interesting; he's also the lead composer for Hometown Story, after all.

The KS has a bunch of issues that were tossed around by multiple people on Twitter yesterday once it went live (such as the weird division of funding and the lack of actual experience in the positions people will be in for this game). I'm not backing it, but I don't direspect anyone who does.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Uemetsu has also done a variety of different anime houses in Japan. As Paws said, he's not what I'd a call a huge coup, or really a coup at all. He works on projects he finds interesting. Now I do hope this goes well as I feel this is a better attempt at what mister Dumb *** whats his **** was trying to do with Class of Hero's 2 and failed
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool