If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    You can, but you cannot summon your chocobo to battle sadly. They consider it a party member instead of a solo creature you pull out. What makes that kind of important is that summoning a chocobo will pull you out of the Duty Finder, and it takes them a LONG time to rank up (only 10 ranks). You could grind on enemies for an hour and barely get 10% of what you need to rank up the chocobo.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Ok...trying the game for a month...but I noticed that the Leviathan server mentioned at the start of the thread is not accepting new players. Does that mean I can't run with Twin and the gang?
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Usually that just means the servers full at the moment, check again in a bit. From what I've seen Leviathan isn't THAT populated, especially compared to legacy servers like Excalibur, so you shouldn't have to wait too long (or you can just check in off-peak or whatever.)
    edited May 2014
    Ah...the key is to jump on Saturday mornings :) I'm on!

So, my wife wants me to make a LaLaFell. Personally, I think I want to do one of the other races. In other games, this problem is a no brainer, as I love being an altaholic. But, in this game, you get benefits to training a bunch of classes on one character, since you can cross skills. I do understand that there are some serious limitations between mixing skills from different types (magic, fighters, gathers). And that's where my question comes in.

If I make one magic character, and one physical character, will I be gimping myself or missing out on some great builds or whatnot?
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited May 2014
    jcservant wrote: »
    Ah...the key is to jump on Saturday mornings :) I'm on!

So, my wife wants me to make a LaLaFell. Personally, I think I want to do one of the other races. In other games, this problem is a no brainer, as I love being an altaholic. But, in this game, you get benefits to training a bunch of classes on one character, since you can cross skills. I do understand that there are some serious limitations between mixing skills from different types (magic, fighters, gathers). And that's where my question comes in.

If I make one magic character, and one physical character, will I be gimping myself or missing out on some great builds or whatnot?
    You won't actually. At any time you can go to a class' guild and start working on that one. Each class (with the exception of Scholar and Summoner who are tied together) have their own stat points you can move around as you wish. Just note that if you go healer class, it will be kinda mandatory to level up Thaumaturge for the ever awesome swiftcast spell, which makes the next spell instant. Mandatory for those times where you need to revive somebody but still be able to keep the tank up.

But in terms of just skills, every class can use something another class has until the job change. At that point they're locked into 2 classes they can use skills from. Luckily they usually have to do with the class, and often help...though sometimes you'll see useless cross-class skills, like putting physick (Arcanist heal move) on a White Mage (all their traits deal with Cure, and Physick has the same potency as a Cure).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited May 2014
    If you do two characters, does that mean you feel you have to level up same classes between the two in order to be effective (even if I have different focus for each one such as DPS caster for one and a tank focus for another?)

On another note...played a caster. Early impression between the newbie zone and early combat was "Boy, this game seems slow." Then I got my Pikachu...errr...Carbuncle. MUCH better!! :)
    edited May 2014
    It's actually not suggested to have multiple characters. When you complete the guild's level 10 quest, they'll let you get the other classes for that character. Most of hte game is just leveling up your various classes for that one character.
    edited May 2014
    Will I end up feeling super gimped if I try to tank with a LaLafell?

Man...game is so perty!
    edited May 2014
    The stat differences are pretty minimal early on, but endgame you may notice small differences, like a tank who is one race having 200 more HP than a tank of another race. They did a good job making the stat differences pretty minimal overall, as even with small changes like that, it doesn't make people want one race over another.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, race basically doesn't matter at all.
    edited May 2014
    Sigh...I got into Leviathan this morning, but now my wife cannot make a character on it...this is frustrating. We just want to play together....and I would like to the on the server with RPGamer staff. Evil evil evil.
    edited May 2014
    It does that every now and then, not entirely sure what causes it. Sometimes I wish it was like Guild Wars 2 where you could be on different servers but still play with each other using the same character.
    edited May 2014
    Been trying for half an hour...we have so little free time, so patience is in short supply. I was hoping we can be on the RPGamer server...but not so sure right now. Le sigh.

It is frustrating to plunk down $30/person to discover I can't play with friends. That's just evil. Evil. EVIL.

Edit: It's been over an hour of trying every three minutes. I'm sorry...but this has to be one of the most inelegant solutions to a server population issue I've ever seen. And the fact we can't play cross server like WoW, as one of you pointed out, means that starting on a different server will make it impossible to play with y'all. I'm torn over losing a half day's progression waiting on this or just saying 'screw it' and just joining a different server. Either way...I'm not having fun. *RAGESCREAM*

Update: We've tried over two dozen times...no go. I'll try again early tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work, then we'll have to start on another server apart from the RPGamer team, unfortunately.

Update 2:
    Ok...got up early this morning (Sunday) and we're in! We are on Leviathan! We're jumping into newbie quests! Oh, and wife keeps having gigglefits everytime she sees a Lalafell or Chocobo.

edited May 2014
    Can someone add me to the RPGamer guild? I'm Krylius Thumar... a 10th level Lalafell caster.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Believe Quin and Twin and his brother will be the ones you'll need to get in touch with to get in, unfortunately the player search only looks for online characters but if no one gets to soon, you can try and get in touch with any of the top three characters in this list in-game and they should get you in. I can't remember if there's an option to search for an FC and apply from there, but if there is we're called Res Arcana (I never had go through the joining thing what with being a founder member).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    I'll do my best to get you recruited into the FC quickly, but it will require us to both be on at the same time. If you can let me know ahead of time when you might on, it would help a lot, but otherwise I will just try to keep an eye out for you. I'm glad you got into Leviathan, though! I remember that it took me no small amount of patience to join that server myself, though I would have thought it would be easier half a year after launch than it was back then!

Anyways, Final Fantasy XIV has been rather eventful for me lately. Over the last week or so I've finally beaten Titan HM, earned my relic, upgraded it into a Zenith relic, finished the 2.2 plot, tried all the new extreme-tier dungeons, and got three of those accursed Atma items I need for the next stage of the relic quest. It's been really fun, though Atma grinding is already getting kind of soul crushing (no drops at all yesterday or today). The new 2.3 content has been amazingly good, as it has added both some of the kinds of plots scenes that I always thought the game needed more of and one of the most atmospheric dungeons in the entire FF series.

Now it's pretty much time for me to finally, at long last, get into the Binding Coil. Shouldn't be too hard with all the bonuses they are tossing into it, though...
    edited May 2014
    I'm on right now...though I don't know for how much longer :)

I will probably be on tomorrow starting aroudn 6.30pm PST/9.30 pm PST

edit.....running late by about an hour but I WILL be on :)
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I may join this merry band soon, once my game arrives. I've been listening to podcasts about final fantasy 14, it's not a grind if it's fun, I'm a farm/grinder anyway, but I think a name like Farmer McGrind would probably taken and a bit sarcastic.
    What class combo do you guys need?
    I will probably do my usual try out one tank class, one healer class and one dps class, althoughI might be able to condense it to two, since it's a dual class system. For my tank I'm not sure I'm going to do lalafel, since form past experience, tanking from a low viewpoint is just adding to my troubles. I'm not sure about all the hard work of getting behind and backstabbing with lance either -.-
    It does seem like a good time to play, as they've added so much more content and solo-ability and steamlined and polished a lot of things.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    You only need to play with multiple classes for getting to the upgraded combat classes, and even then you only need the secondary class to level 15, which is easy to do quite quickly. Aside from that you're free to play with as many or as few classes as you wish (see the Lodestone links in my sig or earlier in the thread for examples of what people have done with).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited May 2014
    Ok I just received my copy! Woohoo
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the pointers , Severin. Unfortunately the damn game either won't download or patch. I'll get my brother to troubleshoot it when he comes back.
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    I hear legacy characters can finally switch servers now, so I'll be returning to FFXIV soon. Are a majority of you guys still on Leviathan? I'm currently on Ragnarok.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
    edited May 2014
    Balance: Welcome to the game! I don't think the FC needs anything for class-balance, but the game can always use more tanks (the tank shortage is real, and thus tanks get paid well by the Duty Roulette). Tanks are bad at soloing since their damage is low and they can be boring at that, but they can get whatever group they want instantly. Also, if you don't like being small, you can always try being an Elezen or Roegadyn. Those really are rare...

Getting behind an enemy with a Lancer is pretty easy, if you have a good tank. Pugilist is harder, though, since you need to move either to the back or the side depending on which move you are using in your eternal three-hit waltz of attacking, and I mess it up all the time.

Trent: Well, I don't know about everyone, but a lot of us are still on Leviathan. The Res Arcana FC has been more active than usual, in fact. Most of the players who are currently active are still pretty low level, but it has been fun.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah...just an update from a newbie perspective. (You can also hear my thoughts on the last RPGCast)

I've put 50 hours in according to Steam (wow..already?) My wife and I are really enjoying it. It's definitely different from the original FFXI (basing this on listening to lots of FFXI talk on RPGCast)... you can really play the game how you want. Similar to WoW, you can join dungeons, solo effectively, farm, etc. I really enjoy the challenge log, which rewards you for accomplishing a variety of goals such as harvesting X minerals, knocking out X dungeons, creating X high quality items, etc. As you knock out each challenge, you get a nice gold (Gil) and XP bump. Knock out a set of 5, 10 and 15...and you earn even more. If encourages you to diversify through nice rewards. (It also has an achievement system, but I'm guessing there's not many rewards, if any, for those). Challenges reset every week.

As twin said, tanks are always needed... but I've also found (at least at low levels), I get into things really quick as a healer. And while I haven't put much time into my tank class (Gladiator), I do enjoy that on my healer class (conjurer), I have an ability that instantly makes me more DPS-y, allowing me to solo much more effectively. (It changes my healing stat with my magic attack dependent stat...and boosts damage another 10% while lowering healing 20%.) I really don't feel that leveling up that class has been any slower than my pure DPS class, so far.

I'm really enjoying the story...a rarity for any MMO outside of KOTOR. The graphics are nice, and the music is everything I expect from a Final Fantasy game. Overall, an above average MMO that's made even better (IMHO) by the various FF references (Fat Chocobo mount FTW!). My wife and I can't wait to put more time into it.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited May 2014
    I love hearing everything you've just said. I agree completely.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited May 2014
    jcservant wrote: »
    Yeah...just an update from a newbie perspective. (You can also hear my thoughts on the last RPGCast)

I've put 50 hours in according to Steam (wow..already?) My wife and I are really enjoying it. It's definitely different from the original FFXI (basing this on listening to lots of FFXI talk on RPGCast)... you can really play the game how you want. Similar to WoW, you can join dungeons, solo effectively, farm, etc. I really enjoy the challenge log, which rewards you for accomplishing a variety of goals such as harvesting X minerals, knocking out X dungeons, creating X high quality items, etc. As you knock out each challenge, you get a nice gold (Gil) and XP bump. Knock out a set of 5, 10 and 15...and you earn even more. If encourages you to diversify through nice rewards. (It also has an achievement system, but I'm guessing there's not many rewards, if any, for those). Challenges reset every week.

As twin said, tanks are always needed... but I've also found (at least at low levels), I get into things really quick as a healer. And while I haven't put much time into my tank class (Gladiator), I do enjoy that on my healer class (conjurer), I have an ability that instantly makes me more DPS-y, allowing me to solo much more effectively. (It changes my healing stat with my magic attack dependent stat...and boosts damage another 10% while lowering healing 20%.) I really don't feel that leveling up that class has been any slower than my pure DPS class, so far.

I'm really enjoying the story...a rarity for any MMO outside of KOTOR. The graphics are nice, and the music is everything I expect from a Final Fantasy game. Overall, an above average MMO that's made even better (IMHO) by the various FF references (Fat Chocobo mount FTW!). My wife and I can't wait to put more time into it.

There's actually a dude in Gridania who'll give you stuff for getting certain achievements, unless I made him up during a fever dream or something. I always forget he exists.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, his title is "master of the rolls" and he hangs out near the Apkallu Falls in Old Gridania. He won't give out items for minor stuff, but he'll give out rewards for many major achievements. These range from minions, mounts, and cosmetic gear to items that are actually kinda decent endgame gear, though its usually easier to get good gear the normal way than from him.
    edited May 2014
    Thanks to the two sanctum keepers for the company and welcome to the FC in Leviathan. This game is wonderful and easy to get enthusiastic about. The lancer is a great class, low in dps but I'll persevere with it, because the true strength is in teamwork I'm trying not to let my experience with other MMORPG's interfere with my learning of this game. I'm know I'm going to sink a lot of time in this game.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, it really makes the hours fly by. Whatever you want to do, there seems to be several ways to get there. For example, for me, leveling takes a back seat to making money (particularly since my wife will want to buy a house when player housing becomes available). Being an accountant by trade, I take a wee bit of pride in figuring out how to make the most money in the shortest amount of time in an MMO. In WoW, that entailed gathering resources and selling them on the auction house. I could make hundreds or even thousand+ gold/hour just flying around and farming resources.

In FF, that's pretty much still an option. Even at low levels, I have identify a number of farm-able resources that are selling rather well on the AH. However, I've also noted that a number of weekly goals on the challenge log which are easy to knock out. Each of these offers a sizable Gil reward, and completing sets of five provides an additional, substantial bonus. That's on top of the rewards that the activities themselves tend to provide. So taking the time to diversify my activities to knock out those goals provide me with extra income in a relatively short period of time, and keeps the gameplay from getting too monotonous while I work towards my singular goal.

In other words, lovin' it so far :)
    edited May 2014
    Balance wrote: »
    Thanks to the two sanctum keepers for the company and welcome to the FC in Leviathan. This game is wonderful and easy to get enthusiastic about. The lancer is a great class, low in dps but I'll persevere with it, because the true strength is in teamwork I'm trying not to let my experience with other MMORPG's interfere with my learning of this game. I'm know I'm going to sink a lot of time in this game.
    Low in DPS? Oh you think so now, but at endgame the Dragoon is one of the two highest burst damage classes. Remember, make sure Heavy Thrust (you have to use it from the enemy's side to get the 10% damage buff) is on at all times.