If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• SkyOdinSkyOdin Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Hello everyone. I finally got around to signing up for these forums. You guys probably know me in-game as Lucas Brandtir, one of Res Arcana's Sanctum Keepers. If any of you ever need a tank for a dungeon, I'm your man.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    (see the Lodestone links in my sig or earlier in the thread for examples of what people have done with).

Awwwwww, you're wearing the ring I made you back in November. We're practically internet-married now.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I'm still playing this addcitive game, infact why is anyone playing anything else? I have two mounts level at 31 conjurer and very excited about getting stoneskin at 34 and then thinkng about getting GLD to 30 for that paladin class unlock.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Heh. I do think if I had to stick with one for a long period of time, I would still lean towards WoW. However, with that being said, I am enjoying the game...and there elements in the game which work better here than in WoW, such as graphics, story and music.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Balance wrote: »
    I'm still playing this addcitive game, infact why is anyone playing anything else? I have two mounts level at 31 conjurer and very excited about getting stoneskin at 34 and then thinkng about getting GLD to 30 for that paladin class unlock.
    Because I've already dedicated months of my life to this game and need a break before getting back into it. It is seriously addicting, and I don't want to be a total addict. ;)

Stoneskin is a useful spell. Just remember that, like most cross-class skills, it's always better when cast by the class it originally comes from (once you get the matching trait, at least). If you are a conjurer and your tank throws up a Stoneskin, feel free to overwrite it with your own! Yours is better!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    Stoneskin is a useful spell. Just remember that, like most cross-class skills, it's always better when cast by the class it originally comes from (once you get the matching trait, at least). If you are a conjurer and your tank throws up a Stoneskin, feel free to overwrite it with your own! Yours is better!
    It can still be useful with other classes, but not recommended IMO during battles. Though if you're a PLD and you have all the aggro with no fear of losing it, don't be afraid to use Stoneskin to block an attack to make it easier on the healers. SCHs can also use it, but I don't suggest using it in battle since it's far faster to just use Adloquiem and get a similar effect plus the healing.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    This sounds like something I will understand later.
    It really sounds like there are genuine tradeoffs between different sorts of build for roles. I've gone through a few instances, so I notice a few things now. Despite the turn-based, cooldown hotkey wow like instancing, the fights can be very fluid with lots of movement,
    Paladins on average have to tag more targets I think becuase they lack the aoe taunts of marauders but can definately take the hard hits. which means the weak point becomes the healer, haha.
    The big temptation is to level lots of classes and try everthing but time constraints.
    But there are a few interesting points. For instance if you only tank with the guild and someone always plays a conjurer/scholar?, it wll automatically make your own cross class style stoneskin obsolete as you point out. So it becomes a way of being an advantage in solo-ing but it means low dps despite your survivavility-most people I know prefer the high dps cookie cutter for that.
    Decisions decisions. To be very honest I'm tempted to go down the marauder route to try it out.Or, thaumaturge for the fast cast dp-espy caster role.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Got my first piece of myth armour, entirely from low level roulettes and beast tribes... realllllly gotta get round to beating that story.

Also, messing about with glamours the other day:

H0uOdmV.png?1

Was going for some sort of classy super-hero outfit looking, thinking i missed 'classy' by a fair bit. Also the Avengers are hilarious looking weapons.

0znHm7t.png?1

Sennaria Wynters and the case of the Demon Wall's missing bees.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    decided to try it for a month how do you find other people do you search for account name or character name. will start playing with those that still play after i get some of the mechanics under my belt
  • SkyOdinSkyOdin Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    In the game you can search for online players using their character name, first or last. If you post your character's name, it could also help people look for you.

I would offer to help get you signed up, but my subscription is currently inactive. That will probably change within the week, though. I hope you can get into the FC quickly. We are always happy to see new people.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    At present you'd likely need to drop me (Sevirain Kristinger) a line to get you invited into the FC. The other people who could help would be Quin (Quin Reishiki), TwinBahamut (Aira Linarri), or SkyOdin (Lucas Brandtir), but believe they're all on a brief break from the game, though hopefully returning soon :)

The in-game player search only looks at people who are online btw, so if we're not online then we won't appear. I'm usually on sometime between 8-12pm UK time (3-7pm Eastern).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    I'm going to be taking a break from FFXIV. Friend of mine ditched me and switched servers to my ex's server, and I don't have the money to server transfer. Due to this I have nobody to play with on my current server, and am going to take the next month off so I can at least pay for a transfer before starting up again. Doesn't help that I'm done with all the beast tribes, all battle classes except for BLM are level 50, the crafting classes bore me to death, and I've done everything endgame related save for the Levi and Mog EX modes, and the Coil Turn 5 on up due to my former FC's officers acting like jerks and doing things without the rest of us. So basically a compilation of things is leading to a sabatical from the game. I'll probably be back by the time the next patch comes up, or 3.0 depending on how squared away I can get with money.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited June 2014
    name is Shulk Monado, will usually on between 7am to 1pm central time and sometimes late at night on my days off 10 pm to 3 am CT
    edited June 2014
    My brother and I are officially back in Eorzea. Taking largish breaks now and again is really good. It does a lot to ease the pressure of the grind and help me look forward to playing the game more. Which is good, because there is still a lot I want to do.

It's also apparently helped my luck, since I managed to get two Atmas in only a couple hours. That makes nine. So close...
    edited June 2014
    edited June 2014
    My brother and I are officially back in Eorzea. Taking largish breaks now and again is really good. It does a lot to ease the pressure of the grind and help me look forward to playing the game more. Which is good, because there is still a lot I want to do.

It's also apparently helped my luck, since I managed to get two Atmas in only a couple hours. That makes nine. So close...

what time do you play i have had trouble finding anyone in the FC online
    edited June 2014
    what time do you play i have had trouble finding anyone in the FC online
    I play a mix of times. Mornings, afternoons. Sometimes all day on weekends, heh. Really though, there is some chance of you seeing me anytime before 9PM PST. I just got back, but I've been checking Player Search for your character's name, so hopefully we'll run into each other soon.
    edited June 2014
    I play a mix of times. Mornings, afternoons. Sometimes all day on weekends, heh. Really though, there is some chance of you seeing me anytime before 9PM PST. I just got back, but I've been checking Player Search for your character's name, so hopefully we'll run into each other soon.

ill be on for most of the time tonight. question, if im afk is there a way to see former invites to fc's im thed to move in and out of my room alot so i could be on and not playing
    edited June 2014
    Today was a day of weird bugs. Patch day woes, I suppose. First I had trouble when I couldn't invite AncientRune because our FC was... too full?!? We're only using less than a tenth of the number of slots! Then I converted an item into materia, except it kinda didn't actually convert but just played the animation instead, which broke my ability to do anything for a while. At least it is creative new things, rather than the old "sorry, you can't play the game right now" I've seen before. MMOs have the strangest bugs and crashes sometimes...

Well, at least it is all sorted out, mostly. I still can't convert that one item... Is it cursed? Spiteful because I replaced it with an aetherial version? The world may never know...
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, stuff always goes weird whenever there's a patch. What I want to know is why the game always waits until I'm on the last boss of a dungeon to start emergency maintenance.
    edited June 2014
    BppjuYVCMAAWmHJ.jpg

E3 badge confirming expansion?
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Patch 2.2's Story has already teased the two probable inclusions to the game class-wise (Musketeer and Ninja), and I believe they are being released before any sort of expansion. SE was waiting until E3 to do a proper reveal, as per one of the older Letter from the Developers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited June 2014
    Musketeer has been teased forever. The starting Limsa plot from the 1.0 version has a lot of gunplay and pistols in it, and even now it has a guild hall in the Coral Tower. Merlwyb has been a gunner since the beginning. There is a chance it's been passed over in the first round of new class additions, but it's unlikely.

Looking forward to Thief/Ninja/Whatever, too.

If we can get a gunner healer and a ninja tank, it would be a nice improvement to the game's class variety. There is plenty of precedent for both in the FF series, after all.
    edited June 2014
    Got my relic today, Garuda and Titan went down relatively easily (turns out Garuda's much easier when you're not out-of-your-gourd drunk, who knew) and Titan took a couple wipes but 20% echo made it pretty trivial (next time I do Titan I should remember to look up a video or something, my bomb dodging was a bit off.)

Anyway....

smcEUlL.png?1

Was gonna glamour 'em into my favourite Avengers glowing-orange-boxes-of-doom right away, but now I think I'll bask in the glory of having Coeurl heads for hands for a while. I also got the lizardmen quests to rank 2, so I dyed myself a very tasteful coeurl yellow in celebration.

Fare ye well, Giantsgall-claws-glamoured-as-avengers, our time together was short, but I will always remember you and your crit bonus, at least until I get a novus some time in the next millenium.
    edited June 2014
    Welcome to Square Enix customer service
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Just make an email just for MMO's
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Funny, but true story...wife forgot what birthday she used when signing up AND forgot her password (generally, your birthday is used if you forget your password). I ended up contacting customer service at Square during normal business hours. The first person was so rude to me, I nearly hung up on her. She clearly didn't care about the issue at all. The second one was able to help me... and even then, it wasn't an easy dance. 20 steps later, and I was able to get her going.

It did use that email account tied into it. If you don't have the passwords/security question AND you don't have access to the email account, I think it might even be impossible...but you won't know, probably, until you call. Their account management website is one of the most convoluted that I've ever used.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Do a search for one of the Officers, or get one of the members to poke someone. I'll keep an eye out if I'm on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • DrizzlDrizzl Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I just picked this game up and plan on rolling on your server. I won't be starting till next month because of a trip I am taking :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    Quin wrote: »
    Do a search for one of the Officers, or get one of the members to poke someone. I'll keep an eye out if I'm on.

we found him yesterday

fun times in the chat

btw anyone have any recs for decently priced keyboards