If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Wife and I spent a lot of time online this Saturday. She's really diggin' the crafting system, and can't wait to decorate our house. She's super stoked that they talked more about housing at E3 and pretty much announced that it was going to be a patch coming soonish. I'm doing my part and farmin' that Gil. I'm pushing a quarter million now. Not bad for a level 25 newb that's just a month in.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    jcservant wrote: »
    Wife and I spent a lot of time online this Saturday. She's really diggin' the crafting system, and can't wait to decorate our house. She's super stoked that they talked more about housing at E3 and pretty much announced that it was going to be a patch coming soonish. I'm doing my part and farmin' that Gil. I'm pushing a quarter million now. Not bad for a level 25 newb that's just a month in.

what on earth are you doing to get all that gil im down to less than 30 and you have 250000
    edited June 2014
    Teeheehee :)

I do the 10 easiest challenge lots (such as do 10 guildhests, leave 5 recommendations, etc)... that nets me around 20k Gil on top of whatever the quests and hests themselves pay. A great one is the gathering challenges. Pay attention to the markets and gather those things that are in demand, and you'll bank Gil from selling those items as well as the Gil bonus from the challenge itself. BONUS!

I spend a couple of hours farming elemental shards. That's an easy (though boring) 20k/hour. I usually have TV show on while I'm doing it.

Everything I pick up...I check on the AH. If it will sell for more than 10gil, I sell it. I'm an anti-horder. If I need it again later on, I can just buy it. Assuming the price doesn't fluctuate, I'm out 5-10%...but having the cash in the hand is worth a lot more than a bunch in the bush. And, mind you, I have that amount even though I do buy what I need (armor, weapons, etc) off of Auction House. After all, it doesn't do me much good if my DPS is low because of sub par weapons (that means I kill slower or gather less, and therefore earn Gil slower).
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Level yourself to 50 and you'll have the opportunity to make some real money.

(Not just saying that just 'cos I want more 50's, too. My last materia batch fetched me 600 thousand for about an hours work. Admittedly I got pretty lucky there.)
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    The Leviathan 7th Mounted Corps is ready to hold the line!

(not shown: the third line of Behemoths that formed behind)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2014
    Ahahahaha. That is awesome.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    That gathering was so weird. Odin popped and was defeated (my first time getting gold!), and someone said that Behemoth might show up right afterwards (because he did so before, I guess?). So, it felt like half the server rushed over to wait for that... which was actually pretty foolish since I don't think Behemoth actually ever did pop. Still, people gathering there did happen, and when someone suggested forming a line of fat chocobos in order to entice Behemoth into the open, people actually went for it with surprising speed. Then my brother hopped behind them with a suit of Magitek armor, and the second wall was formed pretty quickly. It was a weird, bizarre thing, but amazingly fun. Would have been great if Behemoth actually showed when we were so incredibly well-prepared for him. :)
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    arent those fates worthless and not worth the time and just a lag zerg rush fest

also could not play yesterday because of psn maintenance grr
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    arent those fates worthless and not worth the time and just a lag zerg rush fest

also could not play yesterday because of psn maintenance grr
    Depends on which FATE. A lot of them rarely see any people now, save for Behemoth and Odin who literally show up once a week and take like 15-30 minutes to complete (which is why people flock to them).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited June 2014
    Every week that I have time, I clear out the Fate Challenge Log entry. I generally don't have too many problems. Occasionally, I do arrive to a party late, find a bunch of other players there, and fine it hard just to mark kills. I find it even harder when playing the PS4 version where cycling through to a monster in a crowd can take longer than the paltry 3 seconds it takes for a large group to kill said monsters. However, occasional frustrations aside, I do find them to be a good source of XP and seals. They're even more fun when you run around with a friend lookin' for them.
    edited June 2014
    Today I joined a FATE group in Lower la noscea to do some Atma grinding, and got my Atma of the fish within two fates. The same thing had happened a day or two earlier when I got my Atma of the crab, which is damn lucky since you can grind for hours and hours and not see one. I decided to stay with the group for a bit to help them out since they were all in that exact situation.... and two fates later got ANOTHER atma of the fish. The group immediately dissolved once i told them this, out of everyone else's sheer frustration. Poor buggers, sorry for stealing all the luck!
  • SkyOdinSkyOdin Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    For context, I have heard of unfortunate people spending forty-five hours of grinding in one location just to get a single one of the Atmas. It took me several weeks of off-and-on effort to get my set. Your luck is absolutely mind-blowing.
    edited June 2014
    Truly, I am RNGesus.
    edited June 2014
    Just popping in to say I probably won't be around much the next week or so because of work. Twin and Skyodin, rejoice in this brief freedom from me badgering you to run dungeons all the time, rejoice!

Edit: 2.3 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBu4dpZJBo
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    The trailer for 2.3 looks amazing and epic. Nuff said!I got chills at the start.
    edited June 2014
    I try to avoid those trailers due to my paranoid aversion to spoilers, but the parts I did watch were certainly interesting. I'm really looking forward to 2.3. :)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    That Ramuh fight theme is so haunting, it's like Garuda all over again...and I LOVE IT.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Although I don't play with the rpgamer crew, I just want to celebrate that after taking a several month break(left days after 2.1 was released and just renewed a few days ago) I finally hit 50! Go me! It was not until yesterday that I realized that I had gotten some new abilities while I was gone that I should have been using while tanking dungeons this week(warrior).
    edited June 2014
    Congrats on hitting 50! Enjoy the endgame. :)
  • cajuntechiecajuntechie Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Hey everyone!
    I bought the game today, I'll be starting up my account this Sunday! In the mean time, can anyone tell me the best resources to learn thinks before I jump in?
    Is there a good wiki that explains what all the classes do and maybe how those link shells and the odd stuff works? (I played FF11 just a little and I remember that stuff confused me SO much).
    Thanks!
    -Cajun-
  • Jammy DodgerJammy Dodger New Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I vowed to curb my FFXIV addiction by not resubscribing for a year, especially since I needed the time to prepare for moving and the subsequent graduate school focus. However, having read all of the information on patch 2.2 gradually leaking from SE on the official site, I plan to return for just one more month, starting early in July.

Looking back, I probably shouldn't have squandered so much gil before leaving. Now I'm broke and I need to buy all that materia to upgrade from Animus to Novus. At least there's Syrcus Tower gear to look forward to for bumping me to ilvl 100+.

Anyways, I'm anxious to start playing with all of you again. Though I'm not as interested in the ongoing main story or Hildebrand questlines as I was with patch 2.2. I'd love to focus more on Hunts and sidequesting instead. Perhaps I'll even level the Warrior job too so I'm ready for all those tanking needs when the server(s) are flooded with Ninja.
    edited June 2014
    It'll be nice to see you, Jammy. Hopefully we can play together a bit soon.

As for your question, cajun... I'm not actually sure. I've never used guides for stuff like that, so I wouldn't know where to point you. The official site, the Lodestone, is probably a good place to start. You can check various guides under the Play Guides tab, which will at least summarize the basics. Otherwise, you'd probably be better off asking Google than me for where to look. However, I'm certainly more than willing to answer any questions you might have, and can explain whatever you like.

For starters, the game currently has eight classes and nine jobs. Jobs are basically just an upgrade to a job, and only one class, the Arcanist, has more than one Job to upgrade to. To give them each a quick summary...

Gladiator (upgrades to Paladin): A tank. Uses swords and shields, and basically just has a lot of abilities for drawing aggro and staying alive, as well stunning and silencing foes to interrupt attacks.

Marauder (upgrades to Warrior): The other tank. A bit less defensive than the Paladin, but has better HP and attack power to make up for that.

Lancer (upgrades to Dragoon): A melee damage-dealing class. This one is a pretty straightforward attacking class that gets some benefit from flanking or standing behind foes, and gets some mobility with a Dragoon's jump skills. It gets heavier armor than other damage-dealers, but is far less sturdy than a real tank.

Pugilist (upgrades to Monk): The other melee damage-dealing class. This one is very unique, as it uses a unique combo system that makes you cycle through different attack options in a three step pattern. It is very focused on rapid positioning between the enemy's back and side.

Archer (upgrades to Bard): A ranged damage-dealing class. It is a very reliable attacker that is pretty easy to use. It has a number of attacks that can be used outside of the global cooldown, a lot of strong self buffs, and as a Bard learns some songs that restore the party's MP and TP.

Thaumaturge (upgrades to Black Mage): Another ranged damage-dealing class. This is an odd magic class that switches between "Astral Fire", in which it uses fire spells to deal a lot of damage and burn through MP quickly, and "Umbral Ice" in which it does less damage but recovers MP very quickly. It's a fairly complex one in execution.

Conjurer (upgrades to White Mage): A healing class. This one has weak, boring attack abilities, but has a wide range of potent healing spells, which only get better when it becomes a White Mage. It is good at wide area healing and Regen magic, and can eventually use the powerful Holy spell for attacking, but is the only magic class that really needs to worry about running out of MP.

Arcanist (can upgrade to either Summoner or Scholar): The base Arcanist is a ranged damage-dealing class, and the Summoner continues that path, but it can also choose to become a Scholar, which is a healer. Arcanists and Summoners use DoT spells and summoned pets in order to deal damage, and can charge both MP and stacks of "Aetherflow" that are spent for more powerful techniques. Scholars use pets that heal and are skilled at preventing damage, as they can add a defensive barrier to allies and heal at the same time. Both Arcanist jobs still excel at supporting allies with buffs and weakening enemies with debuffs.

There is probably a lot of "odd stuff" to get through, but Linkshells are pretty simple. In FFXIV, Linkshells are just semi-permanent chatrooms players can use. You can start one by talking to a certain NPS in each town, and then invite others to join it. Each player can join up to eight or so Linkshells at once. A more significant form of player interaction is found within Free Companies, this game's equivalent to the guilds typical of MMOs. They offer more tangible benefits, but you can only be part of one at a time.

I hope that helps.
    edited June 2014
    Thanks, that'll get be started ! I'll be starting saturday, but it doesn't look like i can get into Leviathan :( I really wanted to play with the rpgamer crew.

-Dreux
    edited June 2014
    Shirley (My wife) and I also play a couple of Lalafells. We kinda do our own thing and we're currently around level 20-25. We have all roles covered, however... so if you need a tank or healer for a low level dungeon run, give me a holler! They don't call me Tiny Tank for nothing!

We're not big into doing end game content or 8+ man raids, so expect us to level slowly. No, our main focus is to make lots of Gil so we can buy houses when they intro player housing in the not too distant future. I have about 300k saved in my short 5-6 weeks on the game. To that end, Shirley is also working on her crafting, as well.
    edited June 2014
    Thanks, that'll get be started ! I'll be starting saturday, but it doesn't look like i can get into Leviathan :( I really wanted to play with the rpgamer crew.

-Dreux

Try at off peak times, you can't create characters on a server if its full at the time.
    edited June 2014
    Right... My wife and I got in by trying on like a Sunday morning...very early.
    edited June 2014
    I got it! I finally got some characters made on Leviathan, I'll be looking for yall!
    :-D
    - It's difficult to decide on a class. How long is it until I can swap jobs? Any race can switch to any job right?

-Cajun-
    edited June 2014
    Once you reach level 10 on your first class, I believe. Races are basically an aesthetic choice besides some minor, irrelevant stat differences between them.
  • SkyOdinSkyOdin Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    You can swap jobs as soon as you hit level 10 in your first class, which shouldn't take longer than a few hours at most. After that you can unlock and use as many classes as you want with that character.

If you want a invite to the Free Company, just post your character name and we can look for you and send you an invite.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    JCS, you might be interested in the Private Chambers stuff coming next week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.