If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited September 2013 in Latest Updates
The addition of a 1,000 year old mystery girl isn't the only change to this overhaul of the original Etrian Odyssey. The untold number of new mechanics and the improved labyrinth exploration make this much more than your average remake.

Review
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited September 2013
    "Frederica is a gunner capable of binding, elemental, and high damage attacks from the back row, effectively combining three of EO1's classes into one."

She also seems to be really good healer as well. Medic Bullet lets her heal & cure ailments in a single spell and Cover Fire is an awesome free TP healing passive (Heals front row whenever she defends in the back row).
    Check out upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, at http://cosmicstarheroine.com/
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2013
    I've always liked the idea of EO but found the first one simply too frustrating for my tastes and didn't play any other EO titles. Sounds like I need to pick this up!
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited September 2013
    Looks like its shaping up to be an excellent EO. Gonna be tough to decide whether to run Story or Classic Mode, as I tend to only play games once.
    edited September 2013
    Shouldn't the difficulty in the review be listed as variable since you chose it? The highest difficulty option seems to correspond to the default difficulty in previous Etrian Odyssey games and there's 2 difficulty choices easier than that so I imagine the game is pretty easy at the lowest difficulty.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2013
    Shouldn't the difficulty in the review be listed as variable since you chose it? The highest difficulty option seems to correspond to the default difficulty in previous Etrian Odyssey games and there's 2 difficulty choices easier than that so I imagine the game is pretty easy at the lowest difficulty.

It's somewhat up to individual reviewers here. I prefer to list the difficulty on the default setting because "Adjustable" isn't detailed or useful to a reader, then I mention in the review if it's adjustable and go into detail if I have something to add. I personally didn't play on the easy or hard settings to go into detail on how that affects things. I didn't want to copy the difficulty descriptions from the game without adding personal insights. For example, I don't know if the hard mode makes it EO1/EO2 hard, or if it makes it an impossible grindfest. I'd need to try that on a separate playthrough to assess it fairly, so instead I just mentioned in the review and as a + in the sidebar that there are difficulty options.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited September 2013
    Based on your review I would like to play this game.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    edited September 2013
    I played the original when it first game out, but found it really frustrating at times. Ultimately I did not put enough time into it to really delve deep and grind past the frustrations. Ended up trading it in. Resulting in me never trying the subsequent titles.

But after playing the demo for the last couple of nights, I have to say I love how smooth the game feels, especially in comparison to other dungeon crawlers (Class of Heroes, Elminage, New Wizardry, etc).

So I will pick up the new game, but it is hard to decide if I want my own group or the story crew. Ultimately I think I will go classic mode, as I doubt I would play through the game twice (Especially with Pok
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
    edited September 2013
    Unfortunately, the EOU contest doesn't actually let you win EOU.