If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Finished Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita). My first Vita game, played it throughout the course of a week. Seemed fairly long, though one restless night helped speed the process along.

Yeah, awesome game right here, no doubt about it. Some things were a little too predictable, I admit, but there were plenty of left turns thrown in that the predictability of said aspects actually made the twists have more impact than usual. Kind of like how Dead Space 2 and 3 weren't as scary in part due to the fact that you expected those surprise scares from how the first handled itself. The villain was oh so excellent, icing on the cake for sure. Another thing I really enjoyed were the comic style crime re-enactments. Really looking forward to playing the sequel!
    Still thought, I really do think that chapters 6-8 are straight BS.

I'm with you FB. Honestly I might never finish BD because of the sheer monotony of them. Infact, I'd say BD is a shoe in for my biggest disappointment of the year, as sad as that is to say.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I'll add Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS) to my list as well. Nyx is pretty spot on in her review, it's a clever game but overly simplistic. I've finished it with one character, but I think tomorrow I'll finish it off with the rest to see what happens.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Solatorobo: Red the Hunter (DS)

Nice rerun through the game, and a reminder that simple gameplay doesn't always mean bad. Now if only we could get a proper sequel to this, I want to see more of this world!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Just finished up Final Fantasy (PSX) from Final Fantasy: Origins.

This is actually my first time beating it, after several attempted playthroughs. I can't really add a whole lot to what has already been said ad nauseam about this game. However, I will say I am immensely thankful for some of the features added for this version, e.g. save anywhere, auto retarget in battle. Otherwise I probably never would have gotten through it.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Beat Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (The Legacy Collection) (PS3) in the last few minutes of February. It was the first MG game I played through completely, having only dabbled with it once before as well as a demo of MGS1 years and years ago. I wasn't very good at it then, which is why I probably passed on the series altogether. I got the legacy collection mostly out of curiosity about the story and to see an action game wherein action isn't necessarily the main focus.

I decided I'm going play the games in timeline order (I already know a few details, having them spoiled years ago by a friend). So, Snake Eater came first. I played on easy, and it was pretty easy once you worked out boss patterns. I enjoyed the obscenely long cutscenes, and am mostly satisfied with MGS3. I'm going to watch a story cut of Portable Ops next (was not included with the legacy collection, and I don't want to buy it), and then start up Peace Walker.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2014
    I truly finished Bravely Default [3DS] today. 55+ hours. 20 of that was BS filler that wasn't necessary for the game. I wanted to see the true ending so I had to continue. It was just an irritating and infuriating way to lengthen the gameplay time.

I'm curious to see where they go with the series, but only if they leave that whole
    Spoiler:
    world loop
    thing on the cutting room floor next time.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    Finally conquered Bowser's Tower in Mario Party: Island Tour (3DS). '90 minutes', it says. Only if you don't land on "make Bowser's minions WAY stronger" every time T_T
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (PS2)

I didn't get up getting all the Mana and didn't finish off all the sidequest stories but I really liked the parts of the sidequest stories that I did see. It was a fun game overall and now I just have the third of the trilogy to play before I contemplate how many more Atelier games to buy & play.
    edited March 2014
    Warrior's Way (3DS) -- when I swapped 3DSes, it retained my army but set me up like I'd already beaten the game once, so instead of the end guy having like 100k troops, he had almost 3 million. Took me forever to build up, but I finally did it! *thud*
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited March 2014
    Finished Proteus and Dear Esther today, both on PC.
    179811.png
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Final Fantasy 4: The After Years (Wii)

This game really wasn't necessary. I really didn't need to know WHY there are crystals. And I really hope they don't make a Before/After years of FF6. I'm not even going to bother with all the points about this game that I didn't like. I did like the chapter structure though (if only the chapters were better balanced so I didn't have to be stuck with a team of all mages and often never having a proper healer...). The final dungeon, I heard people mention it was "long", and I figured they were just wusses... well, they were right, it was about 15 hours too long.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    Finished Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) last night. Loved it. I approve of the trend of more Spike Chunsoft games coming out.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (PC)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited March 2014
    sabin1001 wrote: »
    Finished Proteus...
    How do you finish Proteus? I'm seriously wanting to know, because I can barely figure out how to play Proteus.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited March 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »
    How do you finish Proteus? I'm seriously wanting to know, because I can barely figure out how to play Proteus.

You have to wait for night and follow the fireflies, every night. That'll advance you to the next stage.
    179811.png
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    Kirby's Super Star [via Kirby's Dream Collection] (Wii) - Completed! Only have Kirby 64, Kirby's Adventure, and Kirbys Dreamland 2 to complete and then this is done!
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »
    What Sabin said. Besides that, you don't really play Proteus, it's more of an experience. And by experience I mean walk a crazy looking environment with no story. It's an interesting hour or two to spend but probably much better if you're "medicated". :D
    edited March 2014
    Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3). Got the Bad Ending XD May go back and replay for a better ending off stream (I'd probably record the ending, just not the whole replay)
    edited March 2014
    Started up Magus (PS3) this evening, and completed it in around four hours. It's, erm, not particularly great. "Full" review coming soon.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) over the weekend. Fantastic game, and the most fun I've had with a Zelda title since Ocarina. It fixed all the issues I've personally had with the series over the last 15 years. The last Zelda game I played with a pace this quick and puzzles that didn't hold your hand was Link's Awakening, and I'm happy Nintendo made the gameplay in the LttP/LA style. It is short -- I beat it in under 15 hours -- but I appreciate that it's short because the pace is so fast, not because it's low on content.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited March 2014
    Started up Magus (PS3) this evening, and completed it in around four hours. It's, erm, not particularly great. "Full" review coming soon.

I feel like giving you the biggest hug because I totally offered to do that one! On the other hand, four hours isn't too painful? XD; I LOVE YOU.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Crono wrote: »
    What Sabin said. Besides that, you don't really play Proteus, it's more of an experience. And by experience I mean walk a crazy looking environment with no story. It's an interesting hour or two to spend but probably much better if you're "medicated". :D

If you're at certain locations and do certain things at certain times, it will unlock trophies and different things might happen. I haven't actually played it more than once though. I might go back later when I'm feeling really stressed out.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC). A big step up from Returns which I already thought was fantastic. Great story and it looked like there was a good amount of side stuff to do although I'm saving that for a future run because Stick of Truth. I stuck with my original team of runners as much as possible and really liked the whole squad. The briefer interactions I had with newer and less used team members were good as well though so next time through they'll get a chance to shine. I'm sure they're very entertaining as well.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2014
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

Managed to finish this up, and I have to say they did a pretty good job with it. Battles require some strategy and timing, and the world is large and vibrant. The story in this game really shined at parts, and they managed to unconvolute annoying things from 13-2 with a simple explanation, which they themselves admit ingame as the original paradox. Sidequests are also interesting and flavored with story, and often lead to you finding out more about some of the main characters and seeing people cope with the end of the world, along with some backstory of the world's current incarnation. The sidequests are also interesting and varied in what you need to do, ranging from helping a child find her lost stuffed animal, to saving a girl from being murdered, and going so far as to having you kill every monster in existence.

The time limit in this game I had no problems with, as I managed to get almost everything done before Day 7 thanks to the ability of Chronostasis stopping time for 75 seconds on the field. It allowed me to get a lot of things done thanks to spamming it with the lovely EP amounts given by the enemies. What came next after that level of completion was what drove me insane...I spent the last days wiping out monsters and finishing up the Canvas of Prayers, along with speeding through the days due to nothing left to do.

I liked the idea of monster extinction, which is a double-edged sword, since you could get rid of some annoying monsters you hate for the rest of the game, but then you have nothing to raise your EP while running around. Protip, try not to make any of the more lucrative monsters extinct save for the Reapers until after Day 7, as the Flesh Reaper sword from their Last One is one of the strongest weapons in the game with an auto-regen function. Main reason why you should wait that long is because things get really expensive at endgame...REALLY expensive, with the ultimate weapons in the store costing 300K+ each. From Days 7-9, enemies drop 1.5 times more gil, Day 10-12 has them dropping double the amount, and Day 13 (only if you unlock the extra day) has them dropping triple the amount.

Anyways, I did like this ending to the saga, and like what Xenosaga Episode 3 did after Xenosaga Episode 2, this game has redeemed the saga for me. I'll probably replay through it sometime soon, but tomorrow I need to start on Baten Kaitos.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited March 2014
    Completed Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage? (3DS) with 97% completion. Pretty sure I was just missing two level ups, but I consider this a success! Definitely pays homage to Zelda II and has some awesome original songs. Final boss fight was worth getting to alone for Lady's song!
    edited March 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    I feel like giving you the biggest hug because I totally offered to do that one! On the other hand, four hours isn't too painful? XD; I LOVE YOU.

If I have to review a poor game, a ridiculously easy four hour one is definitely the way to go :P
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    7thCircle wrote: »
    I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) over the weekend. Fantastic game, and the most fun I've had with a Zelda title since Ocarina. It fixed all the issues I've personally had with the series over the last 15 years. The last Zelda game I played with a pace this quick and puzzles that didn't hold your hand was Link's Awakening, and I'm happy Nintendo made the gameplay in the LttP/LA style. It is short -- I beat it in under 15 hours -- but I appreciate that it's short because the pace is so fast, not because it's low on content.

You should really try Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Both games have a lot of serious problems, especially with how their travel systems are handled, but man, they have some really amazing puzzles. Some of the best in the series IMO, as good if not better than LBW
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    *Redacted*
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited March 2014
    sabin1001 wrote: »
    You have to wait for night and follow the fireflies, every night. That'll advance you to the next stage.
    Oooh. Thanks. I honestly had no idea, as I just walked around and then stopped.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Finished up my first playthrough of Crimson Shroud (3DS). I thought that the concept of really leaning into the pen and paper RPG world was interesting and worked pretty well. The game had the right amount of challenge, but a couple times it was tough to figure out what to do next. Normally you could just revisit rooms and eventually figure it out, but there was one instance in Chapter 2 that I had to check a guide for. That part was very poorly designed, since you had to wait for a particular item drop, but it only dropped if you had just the right enemy makeup in an encounter. Otherwise, I enjoyed it and hope that there will be a sequel or continuation in the future.
This discussion has been closed.