If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Dragon Fantasy Book II (PS Vita) - I was actually much more fond of this one than the first game. The charm was still there, but the improvements made, well made me super happy. So happy in fact, that I'm going to go play and grab the last four trophies I need for platinum. :)
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Metal Max (Famicom / 3DS VC)

Review to come later this week, but the short version is that it's a very, very raw experience. Makes me glad the later games learned from its mistakes (mostly).
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2014
    Chrono Cross (PS1)

Managed to complete this in record time for me when it comes to actually beating this game. It was a fun romp through the game, reminding me why I love it...and at the same time how many problems I had with this game. Outside of the large unnecessary cast of playable characters, my problems included that at any time monsters could attack during your combo, completely ruining your accuracy, how utterly confusing the plot was, and pretty much 0 hints on getting the "true" ending if you didn't already know how to do it. Since I just beat the game fast, I'll probably run through this again to attempt to get all the characters...especially since it has unlocked me the Fast Forward ability by beating the game once, so EVERYTHING goes faster in NG+ playthroughs just from the holding of a single button.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Peggle (XBLA) Yeah, so that's done. It was a decent time waster, so for 99 cents, I'm not complaining.
    edited January 2014
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (XBLA) - Spouse grabbed this when it was a dollar on XBLA. Got a good eight hours with it, surprisingly difficult in spots (I really, REALLY sucked at the shoot outs and totally screamed a few time sin surprise). I wish there were more cowboy games out there. I want more cowboy RPGs even (stupid Live A Live not coming out in English and having that nifty cowboy section, I wish I liked Wild ARMs more). But yes, it was fun and I am super sure I won't have a completion streak like this for the rest of the year because my backlog is now mostly longer time sinks! Yaaaaay.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Just finished the second quest of The Legend of Zelda (NES via 3DS eShop). Man... it has been a while since I played the second quest, and it is SO MUCH HARDER. I actually had to look up where Level 8 was, because I didn't remember at all. Still a very fun and worthwhile game, and now maybe I can play some actual 3DS games on my new system. Or maybe I'll start up Zelda 2. Hard to say.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Suikoden (PS1)

While the story is fairly unremarkable, and most of the 108 stars are forgettable due to just having too many, I found that this game has remarkably well thought out mechanics. Every gripe I thought I would have had with the mechanics before I played, especially for a nearly 20 year old game, was wonderfully handled. Even many modern turn-based RPGs have a lot to learn from this game. I hope that the rest of the series continues to impress me, and have better stories. I'm glad that this game was on the shorter side, as it didn't overstay its welcome.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited January 2014
    The Stanley Parable (PC)

I finished this... I think? I've got over a half dozen ending, and I did see credits roll over the last one I got. I really enjoyed this, and may dive back in to see if I can discover anything else. There was a sense of wonder and awe that I would get when I'd come across a variation or new section. It was really interesting to play something that seemed so keenly aware of your desire to break it. Really glad I gave this a shot.
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (XBLA). I don't think it deserved all the hype it has gotten, but it was still enjoyable. The look and feel of the game were great. The music and sound design were solid. The puzzles weren't very difficult, but the twist at the end was a good payoff. Overall, I'm glad I played it, but I'm also glad I got it for 66% off.

I completed Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC) as well, and at first blush, I was agreement with redwing, and wasn't down with all the hype surrounding this game. But it's been a while since completion, and the game is still lingering with me. Mainly how they tie you into these characters through the controls and how each brother interacts with things in their own way. The end twist will definitely stick with me the longest, but that's only because of everything established in the journey leading up to that point. All in all, I'm definitely glad I picked this up, and would recommend it.
    edited January 2014
    Zork - The Great Underground Empire (PC)

I've played this game dozens of times but never actually finished it before today. I decided to play it with a guide, because honestly I'm more interested in completing games and seeing the endings rather than dealing with frustration. Other than some annoying issues taking down the thief, I really enjoyed this game for the first time.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Bain comes baring completed games, perhaps as many as I completed for the entirety of last year. I would not be surprised.

PC
    Thomas Was Alone (2/1/14) (Great game, though perhaps a chapter too long)
    Hate Plus (3/1/14) (Not as good as it's predecesor. Alas)
    To the Moon (4/1/14) (Manly tears were shed, story synopsis was not)
    Civilization 5 (8/1/14) (No more marathon length games for me)

3DS
    Profressor Layton and the Azran Legacy (9/1/14) (Sort of powered through the last 3 hours tonight. Saw the plot twists coming unfortunately as well. Alas)
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited January 2014
    A couple little guys.

Guacamelee! (PC) Mostly fun metroidvania with luchador stylings. A few platforming portions were really frustrating in that I new what I needed to do but had to get a bit lucky to pull it off but I found them worth plowing through to see the rest.

Deadlight (PC) Another 2D one but more emphasis on platforming and much less on combat. You can try to fight off the zombie hordes in a pinch but it's mostly better just to run for it.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2014
    Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS1)

Ended up playing this most of today while waiting for ESO's launcher to update (another CBT starts tonight). Was a fun romp through a fun platformer of years past. Now I need to pull out the old one for GBA and attempt to play through that...maybe~
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2014
    I've thought a bit about whether or not to include this, but I've seen other people do it before and I feel I accomplished enough of the game to consider it beaten even though I didn't actually play every single stage along the way. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U). Beat it multiplayer with friends over Christmas Break.

It was a fairly decent game, but I somehow got the impression that it was not designed properly for multiplayer. The controls didnt flow very well on the Wiimote, with whichever button that threw your allies being the most egregious offense I can think of. Far too often there were situations where 1 person literally did all of the pertinent actions in a stage, and multiplayer in general felt like you were in a constant war not to accidentally screw another player up as opposed to working together for an objective. Multiplayer aside, 3D World was a huge step up from 3D Land, and I did have quite a bit of fun playing through the colorful and varied worlds. As a console Mario, I really wonder how I would compare it to the Galaxies or Sunshine had I been able to play it single player. As it stands now, 3D World just doesn't quite stand up to other iconic Mario titles, but it was still a fun experience that I'd put well above New Super Mario Bros.
    edited January 2014
    Are we considering the Bravely Default Demo as its own game for this thread, since it is technically separate from the actual game? I know that HLTB has it separate, for instance. (I haven't played it yet, just curious)
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2014
    It does not count.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Chrono Cross (PS1). It had been so long I'd basically forgotten how it went, so good experience.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Septerra Core [PC] Liked everything but the slow combat. By the end, you could spam some spells for easy wins but speel animations were still long.
    Thief: Dark Project [PC] Sneaking is fun.

Mars: War Logs [Xbox 360] Low budget action rpg that was failry decent. There's lots of jankiness, battle system is not great, neither are graphics or dialog. Still, I did enjoy playing it. There was one annoying boss fight, but I cheesed the boss by using the nail gun. Might go back and do the second ending, not sure yet.

I didn't mean to post three games in the same post. Completed one yesterday evening and two earlier today. (was at the end section in both.)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) - My first Assassin's Creed game. Pretty good overall.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2014
    Kirby's Dreamland 3 [Wii, via Kirby's Dream Collection] - I forgot how awful the partner AI is in this game without a real second player. Still a fun game, but Dedede was surprisingly a pain in the butt fight in this one! (Dedede is usually stupid easy! I felt lame with how many tries it took!)
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) - My first Assassin's Creed game. Pretty good overall.

If looking for highlights of the series, try Assassin's Creed II and its direct sequel, Brotherhood. After those two, it's kind of at your own discretion. I go back and forth between the above two as the series's best (the former is very structured but well done while the latter is a strong sandbox game like IV).
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2014
    Clix wrote: »
    If looking for highlights of the series, try Assassin's Creed II and its direct sequel, Brotherhood. After those two, it's kind of at your own discretion. I go back and forth between the above two as the series's best (the former is very structured but well done while the latter is a strong sandbox game like IV).
    Thanks. I've been told similar things, so I guess I should play those.

Oh, and just finished....

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - A fantastic game that did everything right for a Zelda game. Very much like LttP, and that's a good thing.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Assassin's Creed II (PS3) ***PLATINUM TROPHY***

Probably my final time playing the game in the foreseeable future. I finally took the time and effort to do everything, made easier by having a U-Play account thanks to IV and having all the DLC built-in (I got the Ezio Trilogy for the PS3, so expect to see Brotherhood and Revelations added here later in the month and mid next month, respectively). I'm not sure if it's because of the game being an install or running on the PS3, but I swear I remember it being a tad tighter in gameplay back on the 360. I don't think III and IV have spoiled me that much....
    edited January 2014
    Atelier Marie Plus (PSX)

Cleared it with the "Two Legendary Ladies" ending.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Well, guess I'll add my first completion of the new year. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC). Started a new playthrough just before the new year on a whim, decided to play as a mage, primarily specialized in Destruction and Alteration. Surprisingly awesome, actually. Alteration magic seems kinda sucky at first, until you get Paralyze, and then it's just broken. That said, playing entirely as a mage makes it a bit harder to kill things. Destruction magic just doesn't scale as well as weapons do, and not being able to get sneak attacks with spells really sucks. Don't think I'd use this build again.

Anyways, Alduin's dead, all is right with the world.

Edit: Also, Jesus, Mac, Nyx, and Gaijin! We're only two weeks into the new year! PACE YOURSELVES!
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited January 2014
    I, on the other hand, do not need to pace myself, because P comes after O. Suckers!
    edited January 2014
    Hey now, one of those games was almost done before the new year, and the other two were hardly months-long epics ;)
    edited January 2014
    Lego Lord of the Rings (X360)

Not sure if its Lego in general or Lord of the Rings that I feel oversaturated or bored with, but I found playing through this story really grating. That said, this is easily the best Lego game I've played so far, and I really enjoy the improvements they've made, although some of it was superfluous- like getting so many pointless items. The idea of fetch quests brings this series a little closer to RPGs, but not in the right direction since fetch quests suck. The overworld was really well done. I know this is the second Lego game that is voiced, but its the first one I've played and I really found it unnecessary- especially since it was just pulled from the movies. Overall this is a great game, but like most Lego games, tends to overstay its welcome to get the 100%, taking as much time as an average RPG's main story.

Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz (PC)

Like the first game, I played this with a guide and the invisi-clue map, just for completion. This game is a bit weaker than the first, in that the puzzles weren't as difficult to figure out and the game felt somewhat shorter than the first as well.
  • TyphaonTyphaon Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Completed my first game of the year Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.
    edited January 2014
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (iOS), polishing off the HD trilogy. Man, dem typos.
  • eXaXeXaX Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Finished two games since the beginning of this year. I have to admit that is very strange for me but whatever.

Killzone: Mercenary [PSVITA] 6-8 Hours - I really liked the game. Sure, it was a typical FPS and the plot was half-decent. Nothing special so to speak. Even so, I liked it for some fun FPS action. Also, I always feel that the stories in Killzone series could have the potential of being great. Instead, they always feel unfinished and rushed in order to accommodate the COD style gameplay (albeit with more weight). It's such a shame I think.
    Like this game, the idea of being a mercenary in a war that has only been shown from one perspective (the ISA) and then showing it from a neutral perspective (merc) could have been a very good look at the atrocities of war (from both sides). Instead, it doesn't. Still, a fun game.

Batman Arkham City [PC] 24 Hours - An extraordinary game ! Brilliant ! Personally, I am not a great fan of Batman and his adventures. I watched the animated shows when I was a kid (which I don't remember at all) and I saw the films back then but it never really caught me until Nolan's pictures came out (Batman Begins was ok, but it was really the Dark Knight that made me interested). I decided to buy Arkham City because of the Christmas Steam Sale, since everyone was/is gushing so much love for the first two games. I am so glad I did.
    The size of the city might not be massive but the depth of it is extraordinary. Personally, this is the type of open-world game I want other open-world games to try and create. Not about a massive world filled with the typical required side-quests and a handful of random events (that ultimately don't affect anything) but rather story/character based exploration side-quests that give some meaning to the world (without forcing me to read a 506 books about the lore and the politics ala Skyrim). I feel like almost everything I do has an effect on Batman in one way or another (psychologically and/or physically, maybe it's because of the destroyed Bat-costume). (Although I have to admit the Riddler stuff is a bit too much!) Currently, I'm playing the post game content when I have the time, such as the unfinished side-quests (just finished the Deadshot one today).

Goddamn, Arkham City was brilliant. Loved it. After I'm done with my university exams and taken a break from Batman Arkham series for a while, I'll probably play Arkham Asylum next and finally Origins some months after that.
This discussion has been closed.