If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2014
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Edit: Also, Jesus, Mac, Nyx, and Gaijin! We're only two weeks into the new year! PACE YOURSELVES!
    Don't worry. Most of mine were started way back in Dec. Just now finishing them is all.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    GTA V [PS3]
    Why on earth do you get a trophy for being eaten by a shark? Only adds insult to the injuries you got from the shark.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (X360)

I don't recall ever playing the original, but I'm quite impressed by this remake and I can imagine what the original would have been like. Quite a bit of fun for a platformer, and some frustration- but the Mega Man style pattern memorization kind. Good for a few hours of fun.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    smacd wrote: »
    Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (X360)

I don't recall ever playing the original, but I'm quite impressed by this remake and I can imagine what the original would have been like. Quite a bit of fun for a platformer, and some frustration- but the Mega Man style pattern memorization kind. Good for a few hours of fun.

I've been sitting at the final boss for like two weeks. XD; You make me want to just go and finish it.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    My first of the year! Final Fantasy VI: GBA. It's my 8th or 9th play and I inally started a file going for almost max stats. Kept my levels as low as possible until I got Espers with best upgrades (Cactuar, Tritoch, etc). Watched my magic and speed stats go through the roof! Still a great game and I'll probably replay it in about 18 months.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Broken Age: Act 1 (PC)

TOTALLY worth the wait. This is Double Fine at their best, and man... the end of act 1 is a killer. I had it all figured out JUST before the end of the game, but it's a great place to end the first chapter. Act 2 is gonna be craaaaazy. Can't wait.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (3DS)

Finally completed this earlier tonight after spending about 60 hours playing it. Don't know how I always end up way over the average playtime on howlongtobeat.com. I suppose I'm meticulous on my playthroughs. That time doesn't include any of the post game stuff, which I haven't touched. I think I'll save that stuff for if I ever decide to replay the game, as I'm sure there was other stuff I missed throughout my playthrough.

Overall I enjoyed the game, although it felt a bit too easy. The final boss went down with only 3 fully buffed Limitless+Delayed Charge+Cross Charge. I'd like to play through again on Classic mode with a custom party, on Expert difficulty, as some of my favorite class types weren't even represented in the story party.

Come to mention story mode, I'm really curious how much it actually added over the original experience. I never played EO1, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it still felt pretty barebones.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2014
    Finished my first game of the new year, Demon's Souls (PS3).

My thoughts on the game remain pretty much the same was they were in the now playing thread. Instead, this post will discuss my journey with the game. In the beginning I quickly took to bows, and this trend held throughout most of the game, especially when I did not feel like risking death after a long trek through a stage or against a Black Phantom. Although using a bow sometimes felt like abusing the AI, I also was a little discouraged with the lack of a respec option or an in depth explanation of stats which is one of the reasons I went the bow route. Sometime in world 4, I discovered a really cool combination of weapons, the Hiltless Katana and the Adjucator's Shield. All of a sudden melee started to be fun, and the Hiltless did quite a bit of damage, I'm guessing it scales off of Dexterity just like my Bow did. Unfortunately, by the time I discovered this really fun combination, I had already spent a few too many points in rarely used magic stats for my glass cannon type of build that I like to do in many games. The Hiltless' single slice or combo killed pretty much all regular enemies, but a single mistake usually resulted in my death, so I spent some time farming the reapers to get some Vitality and Endurance, ending the game at Soul Level 80. In a twist of fate, the last few bosses I faced were dispatched using the Hiltless, such as
    Spoiler:
    Garl Vinland, Dirty Colossus?, and False King Allant
    , though mostly just did so for fun because I was tired of using the Bow so often. Sadly the game ended just as I felt my character was catching stride, but I suppose the developers don't want you to be too strong either.

Nearly all the levels were really fun to navigate, and I particularly enjoyed everything in World's 2 and 3. Discovering jump shortcuts in 2-2 was quite engaging, as was navigating the Gargoyle infested tower in 3-2. Somehow I got both of these world's Black Tendency just by naturally playing, which sparked me to look up how and what Tendencies do. It was surprisingly easy to figure out, suicide your body form in desired world until it becomes Black, kill the Black NPC Phantoms and Primeval Demon, then kill the bosses to get White and do said special events afterward. This was neat, but I never would have figured it out without looking it up online. Thankfully it resulted in me being able to upgrade my Hiltless to +5 and my Adjucator's Shield to +3, as well as see and get some special loot in all the worlds. On the flip side, my least favorite areas to explore were easily 4-2 and 5-2, with 4-2 taking the cake for my most hated level. The fact that no shortcut exists, and that a good portion of the enemies are really tough to run past made this area so crappy. 5-2 wasn't actually that bad, but there was a ton of empty space in the swamp, and I actually beat the boss (went into fog on accident) before discovering how to unlock the shortcut.

As for the bosses, most of them were pretty easy just sniping them down with the bow.
    Spoiler:
    Armor Spider, Tower Knight, Fool's Idol, Leech boss and Storm Emperor
    all stand out as really simple bosses just using the bow. The one's that gave me the most trouble were the
    Spoiler:
    Dragon God
    and
    Spoiler:
    False King Allant
    . With
    Spoiler:
    Dragon God
    , I actually thought you needed to hide behind the pillars after the 2nd try (like you're supposed to), but I must have been standing in a bad spot, because I still got punched to death and then proceeded to die over and over again trying to figure out what to do.
    Spoiler:
    False King Allant
    was one of those bosses that you need to learn how to dodge a little more than the rest, especially when getting up close and personal with below average vitality and armor. I had been using Second Chance for much of the game, but I retooled my spells to learn Warding instead for this fight and it went well considering the damage of a typical Hiltless combo really hurt. I'll probably end up renting Dark Souls soon, since the prospect of a Melee/Magic playthrough of a new game in this style seems enticing.
    edited January 2014
    Completed Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse [PSN]. This is what happens when you have a twisted ankle and can't do very much. >>;
    edited January 2014
    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (X360)

I have to say that this game was really emotionally powerful, especially given that it didn't use any (understandable) vocalization. The controls were hard to get my head around at some point, but as long as I kept Older Brother on the left and Younger Brother on the right, it felt mostly intuitive. (Probably will be much more difficult when I try 2 Girls 1 Controller mode in Ms. Splosion Man at some point in the future). The use of the controller setup in the last section of the game was really powerful, in a way that said more than what was seen on the screen. Not a long game, but masterfully done.
    Nyx wrote: »
    Completed Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse [PSN]. This is what happens when you have a twisted ankle and can't do very much. >>;

Glad I could inspire you to finish that one. Twisted ankles are no good though, hope that gets better quickly. I'm plowing through games myself at the moment as I wait for my new job to start on the 27th. Unpaid forced vacations aren't particularly great, but at least I can dent my backlog.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Ys: Memories of Celceta [VITA]
  • Terror of DeathTerror of Death Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Final Fantasy VII (PC)
    Xbox Live: Snowe Vingerhut
    PSN: Shinosuke_Nohara
    3DS: 0731-4978-8660
    Steam: Xepherpolis
    Feel free to add me! I'm always happy to make new RPG loving friends! :)
    edited January 2014
    Mega Man 6 (3DS [NES VC])

"My scheme for world domination has faild!"...The last of the Forgettable Trilogy. I only just finished it and I've already forgotten the robot masters and the plot is quickly fading. Yet another attempt to "trick" the player into thinking it wasn't really Dr. Wily (really?). Little in the way of innovation, other than adding in some minor split paths in a few stages, and I believe this is the game that introduced the energy balancer (which I appear to have missed on this run). After 6 games on the NES, as much as I love the original Mega Man series, I'm glad that they significantly cut back the rate of game releases after this game. It had already hit the churn mark when MM4 came out. And of the first 6 Mega Man games, this one ranks as the most forgettable and my least favorite.
    edited January 2014
    The Walking Dead: 400 Days (Vita) - I like how this played out, but didn't really see it until the end. It actually made me very uncomfortable, which is a good thing.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited January 2014
    Hometown Story (3DS) - Was in the mood for a shop managing sim so I picked this up. It has so much potential, both as a sim and a Persona-style friendship building game. But the interface is terrible, the stories dumbed down for children, and it takes so long to get to things that have actual emotional impact that most players simply give up on the game by then. I powered through to get the credits, and I'm still not even done with all the stories (I'm apparently supposed to grind for more blue feathers and then can get some more conclusions). I'm thinking by the time they get to Hometown Story 3 that it'll have a chance to be the game it wants to be. 2.5/5 for ultimately being a mediocre time waster.
    179811.png
    edited January 2014
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - Probably the most boring and uninspired official Mario game ever. Boring, short, and the coin mechanic was about a pointless as it gets.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - Probably the most boring and uninspired official Mario game ever. Boring, short, and the coin mechanic was about a pointless as it gets.

The coin mechanic seems like it'd be better placed in a Wario game and that baffles me.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Finished up VVVVVV (PC) after a few play sessions. Tough, mildly frustrating on a few screens, but great fun. Some of the screen names made me laugh. Also, the music was tremendous. I only got 11 of the collectibles, but I'm ok with that.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited January 2014
    The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal (PC)
    Well for just one city, lot happen! And the last boss was hard! It did kick my *** several time. But got some nice news long blades now.
    Well next finish the last one of the Elder Scrolls 3, Bloodmoon
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2014
    Ombres wrote: »
    The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal (PC)
    Well for just one city, lot happen! And the last boss was hard! It did kick my *** several time. But got some nice news long blades now.
    Well next finish the last one of the Elder Scrolls 3, Bloodmoon
    If you're like me, Bloodmoon shall be your favorite. 2 ways to go through the story, plus werewolves...WEREWOLVES!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    It's better to do Bloodmoon first, then Tribunal. Tribunal makes Bloodmoon too easy.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2014
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    It's better to do Bloodmoon first, then Tribunal. Tribunal makes Bloodmoon too easy.
    But doesn't Bloodmoon also make Tribunal easy?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Sleeping Dogs (PS3) is my first game of the year. I went into it with low expections. I'd heard the controls weren't great and figured I'd have a rough time dealing with that right after the super smooth Saint's Row IV, but I enjoyed playing Sleeping Dogs and got pulled into the story more than I expected to.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Terror of DeathTerror of Death Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Final Fantasy (Windows Phone)
    Xbox Live: Snowe Vingerhut
    PSN: Shinosuke_Nohara
    3DS: 0731-4978-8660
    Steam: Xepherpolis
    Feel free to add me! I'm always happy to make new RPG loving friends! :)
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    But doesn't Bloodmoon also make Tribunal easy?

I didn't think so. The Bloodmoon stuff was nice, but it didn't seem to do much good against Mr. Lucky-Pants and the final boss, and there were a few instances where I couldn't deal with the damage being inflicted. On the other hand, the armor found in Mournhold trivialized most of the damage I received in Bloodmoon, and that weapon you get from the final boss totally owns.
    Well, that was my experience anyway. One of those games where your mileage may vary. Quite a bit, actually. Some days I wish I kept Morrowind.
    edited January 2014
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Sleeping Dogs (PS3) is my first game of the year. I went into it with low expections. I'd heard the controls weren't great and figured I'd have a rough time dealing with that right after the super smooth Saint's Row IV, but I enjoyed playing Sleeping Dogs and got pulled into the story more than I expected to.

Jackie Ma is my home boy. I ADORED that game. One of my favourites just for the story alone. It's pretty easy to get sucked in, and I'm SAD that I told you to play it sooner and you hadn't! :(
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    Jackie Ma is my home boy. I ADORED that game. One of my favourites just for the story alone. It's pretty easy to get sucked in, and I'm SAD that I told you to play it sooner and you hadn't! :(

My home boy was Mrs. Chu. The wedding followed by the scenes with Mrs. Chu were the strongest part of the story for me, and that's where I really started caring about what happened. Too bad the game didn't let you bring homies along during missions. Mrs. Chu would have been awesome.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited January 2014
    7thCircle wrote: »
    My home boy was Mrs. Chu. The wedding followed by the scenes with Mrs. Chu were the strongest part of the story for me, and that's where I really started caring about what happened. Too bad the game didn't let you bring homies along during missions. Mrs. Chu would have been awesome.

Nobody f's with Mrs. Chu. Totally loved the scene you were referring to (though for an open-world game the story is crazy strong). If only you can have homies. I was also fond of Calvin. He punched cops and then forced you to be an accomplice to cop punching and fleeing! :P Definitely pick up the DLC if you get a chance because all three of them were surprisingly good.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2014
    I really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs as well, I just wish the side missions carried over more into the flow of the game. The backstory on the development of that game was pretty crazy also, if you aren't familiar with it. I also enjoyed the DLC, particularly the Zodiac tournament. A shame it didn't get as big of an immediate push, but the slow burn on it ended up resulting in a sequel in the works. Hopefully that one will be even better.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Fahrenheit (XBOX)

Since I recently played through Quantic Dream's PS3 games I thought I might as well go back and play through their older ones as well. I actually started playing Fahrenheit on PC years ago, but dropped it for one reason or another and never went back to it. The XBOX version is definitely a much way better way of experiencing the game, since it doesn't really translate well to PC controls.

Fahrenheit seems to be QDs... least poorly received game. That's probably a bit of a generalization but there doesn't seem to be as much backlash for this one as their was Heavy Rain (after the initial high reviews) or Beyond: Two Souls. People seem to agree that it ****s the bed in the last act (it does), but I don't see the same kind of hate for it that Heavy Rain's last act receives, and people seem to generally look back on the game with a certain fondness. And yeah, I think you could definitely make the case that this is a better game than the PS3 ones. The pacing is better (well, until the end), the puzzles are better, the stress meter helps gives all the little actions you can take have some actual meaning, the characters are better integrated together within the plot (although it is weird having the characters come into direct conflict with one another), the non-QTA mini-games have a bit more depth to them, the QTAs themselves aren't as overindulgent as they are in Heavy Rain... basically the game just seems to be a deeper, more focused experience (once again, until the end).

The thing is... it's missing a lot of the features that make the PS3 games interesting. The cool thing about Heavy Rain/Beyond is that if "lose" a particular scenario you don't just get a game over scene; the scene plays out slightly differently and the game just keeps going. It helps emphasize that these games are mostly about collaborative storytelling rather than traditional objective-based play. Fahrenheit doesn't do this — if you mess up a puzzle or lose all your lives during the QTAs then you just get a brief "BAD END" outtro and the game ends — and the overall effect is that the story doesn't feel as integrated with the mechanics as it does in QD's other games. The choices in general are less frequent and less interesting than they are in either Heavy Rain or Beyond. I think there is only one character who can die based on your actions in Fahrenheit, compared to practically all the main characters being killable/savable in the PS3 games. At one point a character can choose to leave the city instead of continuing the investigation... but if you make them stay then they disappear from the narrative anyway. There are no choices that force you to consider the ethical implications of the situation like Ethan's trials in Heavy Rain. There are at least a few scenes towards the end where it seems like you should be able to have some choice in what your characters are doing, but the story plays out in a predetermined way. Overall, the choice and consequence aspect of the game is pretty disappointing.

So despite ostensibly being a better game, Fahrenheit isn't as interesting a game as the PS3 QD games, which means it needs to lean more on the merits of its (predetermined) story and mechanics than the other two. And while the story is decent (until they start rushing at the end), and the mechanics are interesting (until they devolve into a QTA-fest at the end), they're only really good enough to make it an sort-of-ok game overall. Maybe it felt like more of a revelation in 2005.
This discussion has been closed.