If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited January 2014
    Broken Age Act 1 - This is a really good story. I'm glad I backed this one. Now if only they could release the rest of it...didn't need to rush it on my account.
    179811.png
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    *Redacted*
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Shoot Many Robots: 360. A buddy was in town for the weekend so we started this on a whim and finished it in two days. Definitely a fun multiplayer game but the last level being a platformer was just dumb.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Dead Rising 2: Case Zero (X360)

Eh. Not really my type of game, though I would have liked it a little better without having a timer. Can't complain too much though since I got it free with the Microsoft Games with Gold thing and it was basically some free achievements. I probably won't play any other Dead Rising games though. (I did like the Protoman life-size cardboard thingy in the movie theater though, love me some Mega Man).
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Finished Apollo Justice (DS). I'm really glad I replayed the games, I'd forgotten a lot of major details about Apollo! But the game really makes me crave ramen? D:
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    *Redacted*
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2014
    kazriko wrote: »
    Final Fantasy IV -Interlude- (PSP) finished here too. It's a different game really, nothing carries over from the first one. It's also one of the most linear FF games I've played. 2 hours and 49 minutes to complete. I suppose I should go on to the after years, but I'm rather sick of FF4 by now.

I am actually really enjoying IV-2, despite myself.
    Spoiler:
    I really don't like IV at all and am only playing this because it was $5.
    The sequel really adds just enough to IV to make it actually kind of fun to play--the only other fun version of IV is the DS version, which can be frustratingly hard at times. I'd say definitely play IV-2, but maybe not yet. I did take a few months off between games, mostly because of Pokemon.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2014
    Thomas Was Alone (Vita) - Very awesome little puzzle platformer with great characterization for its...shapes. Really enjoyed it and totally worth $2.50.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2014
    The Last of Us (PS3) - Not bad, not great. Not sure what all the hype was about. The gameplay got in the way of the story, and then the story didn't really get great. Oh well.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2014
    On a roll to start off the year (by my standards, anyway). Just finished Gunpoint (PC). Fun puzzles, some good snarky writing, and enough choices that I'll probably go back and play it again to see a different side.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited January 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »
    The Last of Us (PS3) - Not bad, not great. Not sure what all the hype was about. The gameplay got in the way of the story, and then the story didn't really get great. Oh well.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this. /hands over flame shield
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • TyphaonTyphaon Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Just rolled credits on A Link Between Worlds (3DS) and I really liked it.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.
    edited January 2014
    Tales of Xillia: PS3. Probably my favorite Tales battle system (read: definitely) but I lost investment in the story about 7/8 of the way in. Which is a shame because I was at least into it a step down from Vesperia's for most of the game. It felt... like it didn't climax. No final dungeon (WHAT?), no multi-phase final boss, and that bland, stale ending... whatever. Short Tales game too: 25 hours to finish dang.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »

You're not alone Mac, I thought the same thing as well. Infact I probably lean towards disliking it. Why its considered GOTY is one of those head-scratchers for me, though I can see why people think its very good.

Anyway, I finished my second game this year, Dark Souls (PS3).

My character ended on Soul Level 110, with 40 Dexterity, 40 Endurance, 30 Vit, and 30 Faith with 4 spell slots. There was a plethora of gear I liked to use so I mixed and matched here and there, but my primary set of weapons were Iaito +15, Pyromancy Flame+, Grass Crest Shield +14, and the Canvas Talisman. Occasionally used Ricard's Rapier+15 and Dark Silver Tracer +5. As for armor, I had one set that I really liked, with Helm of Artorias/Porcelain Mask +5, Maiden's Robes +10, Havel's Gloves, Havel's Leggings, Ring of Favor, and Wolf Ring. Not the best set of armor statistically speaking, but the aesthetics of this custom set were quite pleasing and I feel that the Havel's gear mixed with Maiden's Robes gave a good mixture of defense and swift mobility. For most of the game I relied on melee to get through, but there were a few spots here and there that Pyromancy helped out a ton. Great Chaos Fireball, Darkmoon Blade, Power Within, and Replenishment were my go to spells.

Basically, I loved Dark Souls. It started off a little slow, but quickly picked up, and there was tons of content packed in there. Its up there right along side Tales of Eternia for best games I ever ignored. Since Dark Souls is all about trouble spots, these were the most frustrating sections for me:
    Spoiler:
    The 2 Snipers in Anor Londo, Getting to the Belfry Gargoyle with the crappy Scimitar, and if I had to pick a 3rd I guess it would be getting past those clams to fight the boss in Crystal Caves. Thats right, none of the bosses were nearly all that troublesome. The 2 Snipers take the cake for worst part of the game. The run back to them was long, their arrows tracked, caused knockback, and there wasn't any great strategy I could figure out other than a mad dash to try and kill one of them without falling off. The last boss was pathetically easy by the way, maybe it was because I had the DLC content and was slightly overleveled, but Gwyn literally died faster than any other boss in the game did for me.
    Looking forward to the second game now, if its at least as good as the first then I'll be all over it.
    edited January 2014
    I want to know how to over level! I paused at Smough and Ornstein and never got back to it.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Really, the only secret to blowing through Dark Souls is leveling up your gear.

Funny thing about those two snipers is they can hit eachother.
    edited January 2014
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES via 3DS e-shop). I'm ashamed to admit that I abused save states a bit in the final dungeon to save time. Got through with 16 game overs... probably would have been 20 without the reloads. I had forgotten how hard this game is. I did still enjoy it quite a bit, and I still love a great deal of the music. Finally, I can start playing 3DS games on my 3DS... or maybe I'll start on Link's Awakening...
    edited January 2014
    Don't be ashamed, I did the same thing when I beat it my first (and only time) 3ish years ago; that final dungeon SUCKS, especially if you try to beat the final boss without the super cheese method of going to the corner and crouching the entire time.

Megaman 6: NES.By far the dullest of Megaman 1-10. It's not... BAD, it's just more of the same with bosses that are too easy (except maybe one or two) and seriously... that final boss rush was the easiest thing in the game! The ONE thing this game did right was the jetpack; I loved that ability.

And with that I've finally finished all of the MM games I plan on beating (1-10 except 8, X1-X3). 7 was too far removed for me so 8 is just never going to happen.
    edited January 2014
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Really, the only secret to blowing through Dark Souls is leveling up your gear.

Funny thing about those two snipers is they can hit eachother.

Yeah TG, there were definitely some balancing issues. On one hand there's a certain level of satisfaction in making your character powerful, destroying previous areas that once troubled you, and constantly improving your gear. However, some of the bosses were far too easy, which is compounded by the fact that you can kind of choose where to go and when. Not sure what From Software can do to keep this same formula as fun as it is and keep everything relatively tough other than walk a very thin line. A few of the DLC bosses at the very least had enough health and did respectable damage to force the player to learn their tendencies.
    edited January 2014
    Well, to be fair, most people will play the game without a guide or not start with a Pyromancer (pyro magic is easy mode). If you don't get lucky with certain drops, or don't realize the value of starting with the Master Key, or don't realize you can grab stuff from the graveyard even if you die, etc...yeah, it can be pretty tough.

It actually plays better when you stick to the whole Lv.1 stuff (this is why I say Dark Souls is an either/or RPG). The actual formula here, at least the part I like about the game, is the merciless nature of the world. Long story short, it feels like you're facing all of the dangers, with all of the consequences, a real adventurer would face in such circumstances.
    edited January 2014
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, most people will play the game without a guide or not start with a Pyromancer (pyro magic is easy mode). If you don't get lucky with certain drops, or don't realize the value of starting with the Master Key, or don't realize you can grab stuff from the graveyard even if you die, etc...yeah, it can be pretty tough.

It actually plays better when you stick to the whole Lv.1 stuff (this is why I say Dark Souls is an either/or RPG). The actual formula here, at least the part I like about the game, is the merciless nature of the world. Long story short, it feels like you're facing all of the dangers, with all of the consequences, a real adventurer would face in such circumstances.

Um, I never used a guide or started as a pyromancer. Not sure if you think I did or not. Yeah I picked the Master Key, it just looked like the best item on that list, guess I was lucky there. Only stuff I looked up online were the consequences of NPC decisions (after getting that Pyromancer killed), and how to get the item to talk to the Chaos Daughter that you mentioned to me. Usually I gravitate towards the most powerful stuff in games, it just seemed like once I got pretty strong that certain bosses didn't offer much resistance. A couple of areas I visited last, like The Catacombs and Demon Ruins didn't seem like they were balanced to be visited that late in the game is what I'm trying to say. The difficulty on the whole was good and compared to its contemporaries Dark Souls hit it out of the park. It was just weird to have a select few things be walk overs.

If you're saying that Dark Souls would make a fun game as a more traditional action game that you can't grind or improve your statistics too much then yeah, I'm with you there. This idea could especially work well as an alternate difficulty. But as I said in my previous post, a good chunk of fun that I had was the equipment customization and character growth. Just wouldn't be the same without these aspects, in my opinion. Respect where you're coming from though TG, as the devilish nature of the game is very important too.
    edited January 2014
    Running credits on FarCry 3 Blood Dragon (XBLA) This game was so stupid in such an awesome way. The one-liners got old after hearing them multiple times, but other than that, this game was like eating a huge plate of bacon cheese fries: You know there are so many reasons you shouldn't consume them, but they are just so good! I think it is on sale this week on PSN... I'd highly suggest picking it up.
    edited January 2014
    Um, I never used a guide or started as a pyromancer. Not sure if you think I did or not.

Well, some of your choice of items, stats, upgrades, and overall choices came off as close to "guide perfect", so I just assumed you did, but maybe you just got lucky.
    You're right about the Catacombs and Demon Ruins: there is a diverging path there and some of the dungeons actually sit within the "same tier" so to speak, although I'm surprised you thought the Demon Ruins were easy. That frickin' Ceaseless Discharge was the only boss to give me any real trouble.
    If you're saying that Dark Souls would make a fun game as a more traditional action game that you can't grind or improve your statistics too much then yeah, I'm with you there.

Pretty much yeah, but being the Complete Games thread I didn't want to get too into it. The idea of choosing weapons based on factors beyond stats, adventures not just in the loot-getting, but loot-transporting, and dealing with other traditional and fantastical challenges adventurers do (not including traveler's diarrhea as I mentioned in the RPG Spoils thread). Sort of like what all those Zombie Survivalist types are always asking for, except you can actually use the money from your adventures to buy cool stuff, like buy a house and furnish it for your friends to see. It would certainly make a cool multiplayer game.
    edited January 2014
    NM... looks like I posted The Stanley Parable back in December.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Finished Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS) last night (play time around 15 hours). It was definitely good, but as I believe Nim said previously, the plot twists towards the end are rather predictable.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Summoner 2 [PS2]

I had heard bad things about it but ended up enjoying it. The camera isn't the best and there isn't much equipment (can be good and bad) and you are screwed if you build your character wrong.

Cool setting, fairly fun combat, reminds me of Dragon Age II. Music was decent, nothing I'd listen to outside of the game, but it worked. Good main character and supporting cast and in general not an awful story.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Finished Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS) last night (play time around 15 hours). It was definitely good, but as I believe Nim said previously, the plot twists towards the end are rather predictable.

Aren't most PL games like that? I'm sooo looking forward to this next month.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Um, I never used a guide

I assumed that too from reading your updates as you played through it. It sounded like you had close to an ideal build at all times and didn't struggle much in a game that's brutally hard and unfair at points if you have the wrong equipment, strategy, or timing. My brother is playing through Dark Souls this month too (his 3rd attempt, he tries it about once/year) and he's not having much trouble this attempt. He said the DLC and some patches made the game easier since 1.0 and thought that had something to do with it, but I'm also cool with the idea that everyone is slightly luckier and significantly better than I am at games like this.

Had my first full day to myself in 3 weeks yesterday and spent it doing the closest thing I have to a gaming addiction -- playing a 4X strategy game. Civilization V (PC) complete and I'll man up and try the next difficulty level next time. It's annoying knowing I have the game won at the end of the Classical era and then needing 12 more hours to actually do it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited January 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - This game is pretty good. Yeah, I'm real late to the party here.
    179811.png
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited January 2014
    The Sea Will Claim Everything (PC)

Usually I don't care for "story focused" adventure games (ie mostly walking around watching cutscenes rather than solving puzzles) but this game does a good job walking the same line Planescape: Torment did by shifting the emphasis away from traditional "game" objectives in favor of exploring an imaginative world with unique, memorable characters. The Land of Dreams a wonderfully realized setting; other fantasy game writers should be embarrassed.
This discussion has been closed.