If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Alan Wake: PC. Yeah, that was an interesting adventure. I'm not a horror game person but this one was... well, not too bad for me. I got it for a buck I think so I got my money's worth at least. Story was... just alright.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Detective Grimoire: The Secret of the Swamp (iOS) -- a cute little point and click adventure puzzler. It's not going to stump anyone, but it's got several hard to find secrets.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Metro: Last Light (PC) Pretty standard fps but very pretty and sticking around to hear out conversations often yielded gems. Little girk at a pier with her father "Poppa, how do you know we'll catch a fish and not cancer like mommy?" :nightmare: I might give it another go in ranger mode in a bit while I wait on South Park.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    *Redacted*
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2014
    kazriko wrote: »
    I know it doesn't count, so I won't bold it, but I finished FFXIV:ARR for PS3 today. :)

Did you have fun? After we finish Crystal Chronicles, my friends and I are thinking about investing later into the year into either XI or XIV. If you have played both, which would you suggest? I've experienced in some capacities XI, so I know what to do there (Bastok/Shadow Lord/Zilart) for a main story run. I originally thought XI would be cheaper, but Andouin bumped it up in price again.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2014
    Clix wrote: »
    Did you have fun? After we finish Crystal Chronicles, my friends and I are thinking about investing later into the year into either XI or XIV. If you have played both, which would you suggest? I've experienced in some capacities XI, so I know what to do there (Bastok/Shadow Lord/Zilart) for a main story run. I originally thought XI would be cheaper, but Andouin bumped it up in price again.
    If you get a group together, you can easily do the main story in ARR in a month. I know 7thCircle did, and I came close.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Red Dead Redemption (PS3) -- LOVED this game. Huge thank you to redwing42 for the mad amounts of encouragement to keep with the game, especially when Mexico got a bit to be a long slog. The true ending of the game was 100% worth the effort and it's hard to believe this game has been out since 2010 and I'm only getting to it now. Loved Marston's character, loved the world, it was so easy to fall in love with. However, now I have no more cowboy games to play! :(
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption (PS3) -- LOVED this game. Huge thank you to redwing42 for the mad amounts of encouragement to keep with the game, especially when Mexico got a bit to be a long slog. The true ending of the game was 100% worth the effort and it's hard to believe this game has been out since 2010 and I'm only getting to it now. Loved Marston's character, loved the world, it was so easy to fall in love with. However, now I have no more cowboy games to play! :(

Glad you enjoyed it. If I were to make a "Game of the Generation" list, RDR is easily top 10, probably top 5. If you want a bit more out of it, Undead Nightmare was really entertaining as well. Especially since you loved the characters, it is fun to see what they do with them under crazy circumstances. I will warn you that I was really turned off by the difficulty of the opening part of the DLC until I could get it through my head that fighting zombies is vastly different from fighting outlaws.
    edited January 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »
    If you get a group together, you can easily do the main story in ARR in a month. I know 7thCircle did, and I came close.

Based on our FFCC playthrough, we'd just be doing ~5 hours on a Sat or Sun (maybe both on a good weekend).
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2014
    Finished Tales of Xillia (PS3). By and large I completed it long ago last year, but never went through the last hour or so.

This game came up just short of being my #1 Tales. 90% or more was an absolute joyride, it had essentially surpassed the other Tales as a whole and it was a shoe in for my GOTY. Unfortunately, as others have said, the climax and ending of the story were very weak and seemed rushed. You couldn't adequately explore an area you should have been able to, the final dungeon was poor, and the game just sort of ended unexpectedly when you thought there would have been more build up to the final conflict. I loved the game however and try to remember the fun of the journey rather than the bad taste it left at the end. Finally, in contrast to others, I picked Milla's story first and I couldn't have been happier with this choice.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    I assumed that too from reading your updates as you played through it.

Fair enough, I guess some of my choices were pretty overpowered. I could describe my decision making, but don't really want to derail the thread. Basically it came down to making comparisons. For example, Ring of Favor and Grass Crest Shield seemed to offer better bonuses than any other ring/shield I could equip, so it was a no brainer to use them.
    edited January 2014
    Dead or Alive 5+ (Vita) - Meh...at least I liked the way the story mode was done, even if I didn't like the story.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2014
    The Cave (X360)

Well designed for sure. But it just didn't really do it for me. I did complete the game five times to get the good/bad endings for everyone and nab all the achievements, but it was too much of a slog and I didn't really find the stories all that interesting. It would have been nice to be able to skip over segments you've previously solved on subsequent runs. Either way though, ehh.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Credits are rolling on Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS). Honestly, I didn't expect to like this series, but I had a blast with this game. The addition of actual characters helped a lot. Added a lot of personality to the journey, especially the random little events you could find in the maze. I've got a week of vacation coming up, just prior to the launch of Bravely Default, so I'm thinking about giving EO4 a shot now. Might be able to plow through it in that time frame.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    Finished my first run of Ninja Village (iOS) -- was sadly three groups away from reunification, so I'll probably replay.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Finally got my first game of the year in.

1/28/2014 - Eternal Ring (PS2). Fun little game, undone by some unfortunate bugs where enemies can shoot though a couple of the walls.

On a side note, this is also the first PS2 game I've beaten using the PCSX2 emulator. Man, it really enhances the visual quality on these games! It's impressive what the PCSX2 team have done!
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Dead or Alive 5+ (Vita) - Meh...at least I liked the way the story mode was done, even if I didn't like the story.

Not sure if you've played MK9 or Injustice, but the stories play out in a similar fashion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited January 2014
    Borderlands 2 + DLC: 360. Finally, after several months, finished all 4 major pieces of DLC with my buddy (it's his fault it took so long :p) and did the last chapter for good measure. I was NOT expecting Torgue's DLC to be the funniest but Tina (figured would be first) was a close second. The Hunt DLC was SUPER bland and is mainly what caused our slog through the finish but that's just because it pales in comparison. If you have 20 to spend and can't blow 30: pick up Torgue and Tiny Tina DLC.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Tomb Raider - 360

This game was awesome I know people were complaining at how it didn't have the strong confident Laura we had know from all the other entries. However this game showed HOW she became that person.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited January 2014
    Not sure if you've played MK9 or Injustice, but the stories play out in a similar fashion.
    MK9, yes, but haven't picked up Injustice yet. I figured it was similar. I wish more did this.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2014
    I kind of like both: the criss-crossing storyline method and the traditional arcade mode. Really, I would love for both in-game: One for the canon plotline and the other for the various what-ifs for the less important characters.

Meanwhile, I completed: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage to the Future HD Version (PSN) ***All Trophies*** It's a fun old late-90s Capcom fighter and a good warm-up for the PS3 JoJo game coming out this year.
    edited January 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3) - Awkward controls, but short enough to not be a problem. Ending was not as powerful as I'd heard, but maybe because I'd heard so much talk about how good the ending was.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Ok, so a couple things here, I've decided on monthly updates to the list, I'll compile and update the list on the lastish day of the month. This will give me time to be flexible if something comes up.

Secondly, I realized I hadn't posted anything since A Link Between Worlds and I brought a great shame to my clan.

A couple weeks ago I finished Ys: Memories of Celceta [Vita], and loved every second of it. I'm glad that Falcom is improving or the party system and punishing you less than they did in Seven for not switching characters. I still did for time to time, it was just more fun to me to play as Adol. XSeed has done a great job with localizing the game and I loved the characters. NotDogi (Duren) was especially enduring. All in all, I'm glad I went back and gave Seven a fair shot last year, or I'd probably not have picked up this gem.

Yesterday, early morning, I finished both of the final endings for Monohime and Kisuke in Muramasa Rebirth [Vita], I'm quite pleased with myself, I stopped playing the Wii version after the first ending for each character so I'd never seen the other 4 endings. I think I enjoyed Monohime's second ending more than her final, but Kisuke's final ending was way good. After I finished that, I dove right into the DLC, Fishy Tale of the Nekomata, and it was really good! Short but sweet and a lot of fun playing in a different style of combat than just playing the sword styles.

And last but not least, I finished Assassin's Creed Liberation HD [PS3] yesterday afternoon and LOVED it. I got all but two of the Trophies, so I think I might go back and make this my first platinum game. Anyway, I think that Aveline might be my new favorite assassin in the series. She's a very interesting character in a great setting, I'm glad that I finally got a chance to play this finally, now I absolutely can't wait to play Black Flag once I get my PS4, if only to play as her one last time.

Also, AvelinexConnor...

Anyway, that's it. I'm glad I got SOMETHING finished in January, let alone 4 games total. Feelsgoodman.jpg.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Any news on the final update to 2013 thread?
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited January 2014
    After 12 years I have finally beaten Wizardry 8(PC).
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    theharv00.png
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Any news on the final update to 2013 thread?

This weekend. This month has been kinda crazy for me. I didn't mean to push it out this far but my old job and a six month old got in the way a lot of the time. Hopefully with my new job my stress level will drop.

But yes, sometime this weekend for sure.
    edited January 2014
    I don't know if it's counted or not since it was only DLC but I finished Walking Dead 400 Days: PC. Overall it was... alright. Given how ADD I am you'd think I'd like just playing as one person for 20ish minutes but by the time I got to the end I had half forgotten what each party had gone through, lol. Main game was definitely better but I got it dirt cheap on sale so I'm not complaining.
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited January 2014
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PC (on Heroic!)
    Wee, good Diablo clone here.
    179811.png
  • Terror of DeathTerror of Death Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Defenders of Oasis (Game Gear)
    Xbox Live: Snowe Vingerhut
    PSN: Shinosuke_Nohara
    3DS: 0731-4978-8660
    Steam: Xepherpolis
    Feel free to add me! I'm always happy to make new RPG loving friends! :)
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Just wrapped up Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)

I'm kinda with Mac on this one. Had some neat ideas, some neat puzzles and interesting platforming mechanics, but the ending wasn't nearly as good as I'd heard either.
    Spoiler:
    The way the older brother dies is totally contrived, especially considering that once you rip off all but 3 legs of the evil spider lady, she's effectively harmless and you could, theoretically, just have escaped. It could have been handled so much better. The stuff afterwards was interesting, but I've been hit much harder by games in the past. This just didn't do much for me.

Definitely an ICO vibe from the whole thing though. I honestly think that the inclusion of the baby griffin in it was a deliberate jab at the Last Guardian.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PSN). What a touching, if emotionally draining little game. It had so many feels! THE FEELS! Also I got all the trophies. :D; ALL worth getting for the story bits they provided. Loved the presentation, though I will agree with most that the controls really take getting used to.
    edited February 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PSN). What a touching, if emotionally draining little game. It had so many feels! THE FEELS! Also I got all the trophies. :D; ALL worth getting for the story bits they provided. Loved the presentation, though I will agree with most that the controls really take getting used to.

Okay WTF, did we finish this at literally the same time or something??
This discussion has been closed.