If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited February 2014
    So I'm a bit behind on my posts, but only because I've been busy beating so many games :) Here's what I've managed to complete since my last reply:

Gone Home (PC)
    Papers, Please (PC)
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane (PC)
    Rogue Legacy (PC)
    Gunpoint (PC)
    Far Cry 3 (PC)

And finally, I just finished To The Moon (PC), which is why I want to post about the games above, but just can't as I'm drained. I can't remember the last game that got me to laugh and cry throughout. Really enjoyed the writing, all the characters involved, the great references, and the fantastic soundtrack. Highly recommended.

I will add that I did really enjoy Papers, Please and Gone Home. Both were excellent experiences that I'd recommend. Warlock also was a blast.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Just finished Little Inferno (PC). I started this up like a year ago and decided to finish it off today because I didn't really have anything better to play. Glad I did, because it's a weird, haunting little game. I'm still not entirely sure what, if anything, the game is trying to say, but its got beautiful music and fantastic art design. Only takes about 3 hours to plow through the whole thing.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I've got about 75% through that, omega; I should finish that up at some point.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon: 360. Man, what an enjoyable piece of DLC... that isn't really DLC. I had been waiting for this to go on sale so once it did I had to sink my teeth in. Unfortunately, huge games like Xillia and Link Between Worlds have been eating my time (LBW posting in a few days probably) so Blood Dragon was my "I've got 30 minutes to kill, let's get weird with it!" game. It's so over the top silly, and rips off Terminator 1 every chance it can in such hilarious ways (was NOT expecting the cutscene before the final mission lol) and all the stuff that FC 3 did right. Get this game.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited February 2014
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Just finished Little Inferno (PC). I started this up like a year ago and decided to finish it off today because I didn't really have anything better to play. Glad I did, because it's a weird, haunting little game. I'm still not entirely sure what, if anything, the game is trying to say, but its got beautiful music and fantastic art design. Only takes about 3 hours to plow through the whole thing.
    Crono wrote: »
    I've got about 75% through that, omega; I should finish that up at some point.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon: 360. Man, what an enjoyable piece of DLC... that isn't really DLC. I had been waiting for this to go on sale so once it did I had to sink my teeth in. Unfortunately, huge games like Xillia and Link Between Worlds have been eating my time (LBW posting in a few days probably) so Blood Dragon was my "I've got 30 minutes to kill, let's get weird with it!" game. It's so over the top silly, and rips off Terminator 1 every chance it can in such hilarious ways (was NOT expecting the cutscene before the final mission lol) and all the stuff that FC 3 did right. Get this game.

Man, two games I have sitting in my back log. Both of them seem like they'd be fun to tackle this winter. Though I might take some time before diving into Blood Dragon. Far Cry 3 burned me out somewhat.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Okay WTF, did we finish this at literally the same time or something??

Uh, maybe? XD; I DON'T KNOW. I DON'T KNOW, MAN.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    I was pleased to be reminded of how much I enjoy this game. The updated localization is exceptional. I rolled with Agrias, a (male) Dragoon, a Dancer with dual-wield, a (female) Samurai, and Ramza was a chemist with bardsong. Bravery/Faith abuse along with Shirihadori made the girls practically invincible, while my Dragoon one-hit killed most things with his Javelin II (and Escutcheon II to boot).

To this day, FFT has some of the best event scripting/direction any game has ever had. The subtlety in the movements conveys much more than you would expect from 2D sprites on 3D sets. I've read convincing arguments that FFT's cutscenes are like watching a play, and it's an effective analogy that I must agree with. Vagrant Story and FF12 lived up to their predecessor. Will any other game ever have event direction as powerful as the Ivalician trilogy?
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Yay. Glad someone else noticed. Never see any respect for the animations in FFT's cutscenes.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Just finished Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP).

Overall pretty disappointed with this game. The gameplay was terrible. The side content, which apparently counts for a large portion of the game, was laughable. I played up till about 20% of the missions before I decided I was wasting my time with them, as the game was becoming excruciatingly easy. Combine that with forced battles every two steps, and things get boring fast. Luckily I found that if you hug the edges of the environments you can miss all the battles. This is because battles are apparently staged when you walk on a certain part of the map, causing you to sometimes get into a battle right after you've just had one because you walked over the same spot again.

The only redeeming quality about it was the setting. It was pretty cool to run around in Midgar and other settings from FFVII. Delving a bit into the story of Zack was pretty neat at first too, until it got kind of lame and nonsensical.

Luckily this was a short game, otherwise I would have never finished it.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Finished off Layton Brothers: Mystery Room (Android) last night (overall play time around 8.5 hours), it was a pretty fun ace Attorney Investigations Lite type of game for not much so hey.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Forgot to post my games for the year.

PC
    Saints Row IV
    Rogue Legacy

PS4
    Knack

Saint's row IV was great
    Rogue legacy was good, grindy fun.. Glad you could build your character over time, but some of the gold gathering was a little challenging. 210ish deaths to finish it

Knack on PS4 was OK.. not great by any means. I have some issues with how damage was calc'd. I'd get hit and sometimes i'd be one-shot, and other times it would take off like half-my health and some others would only take a little, all on the same enemy. I had some issues with the camera switching, and getting hung up on the geometry, but overall it was an OK launch action-platformer.

-Kel
    edited February 2014
    Solatorobo: DS. Had been working on this for about 5 months in downtime at family dinners on the weekends. It was a mere coincidence that I finished 2 days into the month it was to be played. :D I can see why some people really dig it but it was a very average experience for me. Combat was fun at first but got old, game was too easy, and it just felt very repetitive.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Crono wrote: »
    Solatorobo: DS. Had been working on this for about 5 months in downtime at family dinners on the weekends. It was a mere coincidence that I finished 2 days into the month it was to be played. :D I can see why some people really dig it but it was a very average experience for me. Combat was fun at first but got old, game was too easy, and it just felt very repetitive.
    Try the 3rd playthrough. That's when things get difficult. First playthrough is basically easy mode, 2nd is normal mode, and 3rd on is hard mode. I actually got game overs against normal mobs in my 3rd playthrough.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Finally finished off my playthrough of Saints Row IV (PC). Such a ridiculous but awesome game. Reminded me a lot of Crackdown, but with more ridiculousness.

Think I'm gonna try the Saints Save Christmas DLC pack now. Sam (Nyx) recommended it, and it sounds really dumb.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Huzzah, that wraps up Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    DMC: Devil May Cry [PS3] When they announced it, I didn't really like the redesign for Dante, but it grew on me quickly after I started playing it. I enjoyed the story right up until the last chapter. I felt that it was unnecessary
    Spoiler:
    and it was included as an excuse for Dante to fight Vergil.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Suikoden II (PS1)

I'll start off with saying that this is a really good game. I enjoyed most everything about it for most of the time I was playing it, and I did finish with the "good" ending, having done most everything other than see Clive's story and collect some of the odds and ends. However, while I think this game is really good, after a very recent playthrough of the first game, this one felt like more of the same. Which isn't bad, per se, it did improve on the first game in a few minor ways (although I very much liked the major battles in the first game better). Maybe I just played both of them too close together, as I completed both of them within around a month. The other issue I have with this game is that, again while I think it is a very good game, it's current market value is not even close to what I think the game is worth. Granted, I rarely ever pay full retail price, let alone paying more, but this game just isn't $120-good (I'm actually not sure if I'd put any game in that category). Given just how similar S1 and S2 are, $35 for S1 (or less on PSN) is the much better deal for a very, very similar game. I guess my issue really comes down to not feeling like this game lived up to what my personal expectations for a game with that pricetag on the current market should be.

As a side note, with the Suikoden series, before I started I felt rather apprehensive about the 108 Stars concept. While in practice it has actually been a lot less of a pain than I thought it would be, at least with the first two games it feels like there are quite a few throw-away characters. I would have been fine with the 54 Stars of Destiny if there was a lot more characterization and story involved with each of them, but as it is, it just feels like there are too many of them that add nothing to the game. (Just another collectable, although better than collecting flags or trophies or something).
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited February 2014
    Shadowrun Returns (PC) - Well done RPG. Feels like a pen and paper campaign. They have these load-screen descriptions that totally nail the DM explaining what's going on vibe. And the story feels just like a good pen and paper story, with you only being able to control so much and the world being much bigger than you'll ever be able to influence. Good adventure, good story, good combat. Excited for the Berlin campaign.
    179811.png
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited February 2014
    Think I'm gonna try the Saints Save Christmas DLC pack now. Sam (Nyx) recommended it, and it sounds really dumb.

If by dumb you mean super special awesome... yes, it's dumb.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited February 2014
    Finally finished off my playthrough of Saints Row IV (PC). Such a ridiculous but awesome game. Reminded me a lot of Crackdown, but with more ridiculousness.

You will fuse yourself with the Christmas spirit and if you don't, you'll be forced to lick Candy Cane barricades for the rest of your life.
    edited February 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    You will fuse yourself with the Christmas spirit and if you don't, you'll be forced to lick Candy Cane barricades for the rest of your life.

I did that. It was delicious and gave me an achievement. And cavities. YAY CHRISTMAS!
    edited February 2014
    I did that. It was delicious and gave me an achievement. And cavities. YAY CHRISTMAS!

I totally did it too. XD
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Blackguards (PC) is complete at 43 hours total play time. Review coming soon, but the basic jist is not terrible, not great. Did at least finally get to figure out who did the main hero's voice after knowing that there were a few things familiar: Nick Boulton aka Man!Hawke and Gadolt so yay?

Will note that the ending was
    Spoiler:
    made of suck. Although that kind of implies one exists in a meaningful form, which is a bit debateable.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited February 2014
    Was home sick today so I marathoned all of The Banner Saga - PC. Was good enough to keep me engaged the whole time. I think my big complaint is that while the combat is brutal, they also will uncaringly take away party members for plot reasons or poor player choices during the Oregon Trail sections. Renown (XP) is a very limited resource, and then if you lose someone you invested a ton of it in, you don't get it back. Also it's super hard to have lots of supplies near the end. I ended up putting the combat on easy just so I could try to get more XP and not feel as frustrated with losing people who were better survivors.

The story and environment are pretty good, though it's rather bleak. Always an issue when you make the player feel powerless. Tend not to play games for that reason, you want to fix problems.
    179811.png
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the update, Sabin and Severin. Those were two games I was looking closely at. I like hearing more about them from people who've actually played all the way through :) Good stuff!!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited February 2014
    The Wolf Among Us - Episode 2: Smoke and Mirrors (PC). Not as good as the first episode, but the story is moving along. It's set for an exciting episode 3.
  • Terror of DeathTerror of Death Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
    Xbox Live: Snowe Vingerhut
    PSN: Shinosuke_Nohara
    3DS: 0731-4978-8660
    Steam: Xepherpolis
    Feel free to add me! I'm always happy to make new RPG loving friends! :)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

My replay has been successful, and now I recall everything that happened in the game. Doing a replay of 13-2, adn then I'll be ready for Lightning returns.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2014
    The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 - Smoke and Mirrors (PC)

Despite being even shorter than the first episode I thought it was about as good. Couple of things annoyed me though:

1. They still haven't added an option to turn off the reaction messages.

2. There's still not a whole lot of challenge in the investigation scenes. You pretty much just click on things until you're given the option to click on more things, then make some very obvious deductions.

Kind of hard to say how much the choices really matter but there seems to be at least a few scenes that play out quite differently depending on what you choose. I think I'll be much more tempted to replay this game than The Walking Dead.
    edited February 2014
    LoZ: Link Between Worlds: 3DS. What a great freaking game. This might be my second favorite Zelda behind LttP. It was a bit too easy and I wish I had Hero Mode unlocked from the start but at least the final boss gave me a run for my money since I didn't find the Red Mail, and I was stupid during one part. Not a single death, never bought potion or milk, and the ONLY fairies I used were against the final boss so that was cool. Definitely replaying one day.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I too found myself completing The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 - Smoke and Mirrors (PC) yesterday evening. It definitely felt very short but I liked what was there as much as ep 1. Maybe even more just because of
    Spoiler:
    Georgie who from the minute I saw the tattoo along his collarbone had me humming a 15 year old Devin the Dude song while I smashed up the joint.
    Good times.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
This discussion has been closed.