If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited February 2014
    I just finished Tales of Eternia (PSP). It started a bit slow, but picked up speed by the midpoint, and finished in grand style. It was a little shorter than I expected (~35 hours), but better to leave me wanting more, than to drag on unnecessarily, like some games I could mention. *cough*Abyss*cough*.

Despite the lack of skits, the character development turned out quite solid, especially toward the end, where everyone's backstories are revealed. The Trials of Seyfert (
    Spoiler:
    where Reid saw tragic events of the past from other people's perspectives
    ) were particularly interesting.

The later boss battles were mostly an exercise in suppression (focus on interrupting the enemies' spell casting to the exclusion of almost everything else), but they were still challenging enough on normal difficulty.

My next Tales game will likely be the Symphonia remake (after I play Bravely Default, of course).
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Finished Might & Magic X Legacy (PC) tonight. The pros and cons are cut and dry. Technical problems like stuttering, slowdown, and long load times are a major drag, and grid movement is awkward outside of dungeons. Everything else was solid, though, and I enjoyed it. I hope Ubisoft patches X to fix the technical issues and then makes an XI with a larger budget. There's definitely life in this series.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Finished the main story replay of Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) and I'm reminded why this game is such a disappointment to me, and why I cannot stand replaying it. For one, the story is convoluted and nonsensical in the bad way. The ending itself still makes no sense at all, considering what happens in the true one. I mean come on,
    Spoiler:
    if killing Caius kills Etro, why didn't Serah drop dead immediately? And if time and death don't exist in Valhalla, wouldn't killing Etro really do nothing since the fact that she died not click due to the very nature of Valhalla
    ?

And the gameplay...while it fixed several problems with the battle system from FFXIII (paradigm shifts are instant and party leader dying doesn't equal game over), the lack of any level caps per area destroyed the difficulty of the game to a point where most bosses and enemies in this game are utter jokes. Hell, they made Saboteur, Synergist, and in most cases Sentinel worthless because of this. Even Medic is only used on bosses, that's how easy this game is. At least I can say I'm ready for Lightning Returns to come out on Tuesday, where I can see if they managed to pull the golden rule of the trilogy games, where the 3rd outshines the other two greatly.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Got a few to report:

Shining in the Darkness (Sega Mega Drive)
    Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Mega Drive)
    Phantasy Star IV(Sega Mega Drive): It was that time of the year again ;)
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (XBox 360): Great game although it could've used more variation in the boss battles and the last 3 joker teeth in the Arkham mansion were a pain to find.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Bioshock: Infinite (PS3)

In-depth verdict: Ehhhhhhhhh.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)

Was lucky enough to get a code, but it comes out on Tuesday for everyone. And you should get it. It's like Persona 3/4 meets Phoenix Wright meets Zero Escape, and there is nothing about that combination that isn't completely awesome.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited February 2014
    The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 - Faith (PSN)

And to think I just started this last night to give it a try. Was glued to my screen the entire time and finished it. I can't get enough of seeing the Fables and stories I grew up with, also playing a game with myself to figure out whose who before they are unlocked in the compendium. Saw the cliffhanger coming waaaay ahead of time, but I was quite affected by it for the most of the night afterwards. I bought the season pass last month on sale so I may play the second episode sometime soon. I also have Walking Dead Season 1 on my PS3 as well, may dust that off between episodes.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Gex: Enter the Gecko (PS1)

With this, I've recompleted the entire Gex trilogy. This one is still my favorite of the 3 games. There are more interesting level setups in general compared to Gex: Deep Cover Gecko, such as space levels where you need to keep air level up to survive, and the final boss is way harder than Gex 1 or 3. Just another reminder to me that we need another Gex game.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Sorry guys, Life has been crazy for me the past few weeks. I know I promised an update last weekend, but this weekend I'll makesure to get it done.

In the meantime, I'll post my last few beaten games.

I finished the first game that I ever started on my Vita, Gravity Rush [Vita] last week. It was a fun game to take in smaller chunks. Sometimes I felt the control scheme was cumbersome, other times I didn't even bother me. I'm excited to see what they do for the sequel.

After that I finished the first Ratchet and Clank [PS3 via HD Collection] and I did NOT have a good time. The game was incredibly frustrating and overly archaic in its checkpoint system. It says I played the game for 10 hours and I promise you it was closer to 20 with how many times I died and had to entirely restart a level. Very frustrating. The second game isn't much better on the checkpoint front, but at least I'm gaining health levels and upgrading my weapons in this one. 3/10 would not play again.

And finally, I just finished Tearaway [Vita] last night. Such a great game. Very charming and lovely. I got a little annoyed at the end with all the tilt sensor stuff, but none the less, It was still great.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    The Wolf Among Us - Episode 2: Smoke and Mirrors (PSN) - Continues to get very interesting. This episode felt a lot more compact than the previous. Interested to see where it goes. Oddly, I made all the same choices as the community! Usually I have one thing where I'm in the minority, so that was odd to say the least.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I also finished The Wolf Among Us - Episode 2: Smoke and Mirrors (X360) since they sent me a code to fix the broken season pass. It is so gritty and seedy and great. I was in the very small minority on the final player choice, partially because I thought the game was trying to bait me into a bad situation. Really enjoying it still, though I wish it was longer. I could have used another hour or so in this episode, especially since it was four months in the making. They have said they will be better the rest of the way, but that is a hard promise to make in the video game business. I'd love to replay it to see some other possibilities, but I really feel like I need to wait until I see the entire story first before going back again.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)

What a great story! It did take awhile to start building up, but once I started getting to the point where I could start unlocking the locked nodes and seeing various character endings, I was completely hooked. I'm glad that I managed to not spoil any of it for myself. It did take me a long time to figure out exactly what was going on, and there are still some unanswered questions (hopefully they have an explain-everything FAQ from the developer like they did with 999). I was actually right about who I thought the real Zero was, but I just couldn't figure out how they were going to get there with it until the end (I had an alternative possibility as well. But I'm not spoiling anything about this game here).

I did play on the 3DS, and luckily did not experience the save glitch, but I knew not to save in the escape rooms. The main escape room that would cause the save glitch actually did cause a hard crash once though. Ah well. Honestly, the game would have been fine without the escape rooms altogether.

I heard that they are working on the third game now, and I can not wait to get it. I really want to see if they add in some sort of resolution to the All-Ice and Alice thing, since it seems like there is more to it than what VLR explained.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki (PSP)

I have too much to say about this game so I made a post on my blog about it. Basically I liked it, I learned a lot of Japanese vocabulary via it, and it played really different than the other Suikoden games.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited February 2014
    The Banner Saga [PC]

I really enjoyed the game but the last final boss fight... I mean, come on. Had to beat the game on easy because I actually wanted to see the ending. Only problem is that easy did not provide any challenge and I actually flet bad while fighting.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3)

I completed it and the Da Vinci Disappearance. I am still working on the Platinum Trophy though. I need to get level 50 on the multiplayer (at level 16) and use a guide to find the missing flags in the Romulus Lairs. I'll be playing online scare throughout the next couple of months at my own leisure. I will get that Platinum Trophy though. I will. I'll just post again with an update flag for you, FB, when that happens.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Darkwing Duck: NES.I'd never played this as a kid and my buddy bet me that I couldn't beat the entire game with no powerups. Well, I did it. I must have died to the final boss 20 times before I finally figured out how to get those two enemies juggled and hit the boss between the juggling. Either way, it's done and it was enjoyable. Now I gotta go back and see what the powerups actually do. :D
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Sushi Spinnery (iOS) -- very cool because it reminds me how awesome this style of restaurant is, but it also makes me crave sushi :(
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Crono wrote: »
    Darkwing Duck: NES.I'd never played this as a kid and my buddy bet me that I couldn't beat the entire game with no powerups. Well, I did it. I must have died to the final boss 20 times before I finally figured out how to get those two enemies juggled and hit the boss between the juggling. Either way, it's done and it was enjoyable. Now I gotta go back and see what the powerups actually do. :D

Just find the old Nintendo Power that previewed the game and it tells ya
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    *Redacted*
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Hello, Beautiful people!

I just finished the first update of the year! Please check for any mistakes on my part (or yours!)

Thank you guys for your patience, You're all fantastic.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Final Fantasy XII (PS2). Great game to stream, really enjoy doing it. Now to decide what to stream next...
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Well, there goes my first RPG of the year.

2/11/2014 - Two Worlds (PC). Save Kira ending.

I'm not entirely sure what the ending was supposed to mean... Whether
    Spoiler:
    killing Ghandohar
    meant that the entire game didn't happen... Either way, not entirely fulfilling.

As to the game itself, it's a fine enough RPG, though the game really seems to assume you'll do nothing but sidequests until they're out. I had a few break due to progress in the mainquest, or even in others, that I couldn't have possibly predicted. The one-hit-kill monsters that littered the land caused no small amount of frustration for me. There's something about being level 50, with over 80 in strength and vitality and kickass armor, only for an ogre to kill you in one hit. Funnily enough, I didn't use the in-game revive system, electing to reload whenever I died, just to save time. Save often, it can save your blood pressure.

And then of course there's the acting. It's not Sega CD or TurboCD bad, but there are some times where it really does try its damnedest to reach down to those expectations.

Seriously, nearly the whole game is like that.

Anyway, off to Two Worlds II.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that 90% of the characters don't move their lips when talking. It's actually quite impressive, an entire country of ventriloquists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Just wrapped up Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3). I can't officially say anything about it until 6am tomorrow, but I definitely won't have a review up by then unfortunately. That said, I've got a lot of things to say about it, both good and bad. It should be an interesting review, so keep an eye out for it.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Two Worlds (PC)

Two Worlds II is technically a better game than the first, but it loses some of the magic of the original's badness. The voice acting, for example, is still not good... but in a kinda boring way instead of a hilarious one like the first game. I still have a soft spot in my heart for these games I can't fully justify though.
    edited February 2014
    Two Worlds II is technically a better game than the first, but it loses some of the magic of the original's badness. The voice acting, for example, is still not good... but in a kinda boring way instead of a hilarious one like the first game. I still have a soft spot in my heart for these games I can't fully justify though.

Well, the game itself wasn't terrible... Well, the voice acting was, but other than that it was fun enough. Never had to knock anyone off their horse, though, and the animations were silly, but I had a good enough time. I wouldn't say I loved the game, but it wasn't something I view with disdain. I've certainly played worse*.

I just started TWII and I'm surprised it's forcing the controller on me... Not sure what I can do about that outside of yanking the controller out of the USB port, which I'd rather not do, but it's an interesting oversight for a PC game...

(*: Keep in mind I'm playing a pre-patched version as I got it off GOG... From what I understand, version 1.00 was an absolute nightmare.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    So... Jazzpunk (PC). Yeah. Jazzpunk...
  • sprite nostalgistsprite nostalgist New Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Just completed the 1st act of Broken Age, the game is a clinic in point & click game design, absolutely brilliant.
    edited February 2014
    redwing42 wrote: »
    So... Jazzpunk (PC). Yeah. Jazzpunk...

Sounds like you're not a fan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    Sounds like you're not a fan.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, though the ending wasn't very strong. I just had a tough time processing it last night. It is just so SO strange. Funny, but very strange.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Metal Gear Solid: PSX. I played about halfway through this as a kid but then lost the game. Anyway, this was a fun experience although the story is so silly I don't think I can make myself play any of the other games (only other one I've played and beat is Peace Walker). I especially love all the 90s buzz words, the military B footage ala FMV near the end, and SUPER BABY METHOD.

I thought it was pretty sweet that I figured out on my own (by accident) the speedrun technique for taking down Raven with the Nikea missile that completely breaks the fight. It was hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.