If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2014 Completed Games List.

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Just completed story mode in Dead or Alive 5 (X360). I appreciate what they were trying to do, but they didn't pull it off nearly as well as Mortal Kombat did. Despite the jiggletech being a bit distracting at times, I really think the game looks gorgeous, especially the facial renderings. I've always enjoyed the DOA fighting system, as it is mostly an extension of Virtua Fighter. This version feels very slick and well balanced, but I was too distracted by the bonus missions to get in to it too much.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I'm trying to piece together my thoughts on Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD [Vita] after beating it last night... It's two half games that they tried to stitch together into a full game and, while I liked it, I feel like they could have made one really decent game if they didn't waste time switching back and forth between FPS and Mascot Platformer... Other Mascot Platformers have been able to lock in the shooty shooty aspects without going straight FPS and I feel that the Oddworld Inhabitants would have been better served by doing that. That and the gameplay until the second half is really really samey.

A) Get Bounty.
    B) Hunt Bounty.
    C) Return Bounty.
    D) Repeat.

If you think that I'm oversimplifying it, please trust me, I'm not. I used the same strategy for almost every Bounty to take them in alive.

And, since I don't know if anybody has played it or plans on playing it, I'll spoiler tag this next part.
    Spoiler:
    Losing all of your upgrades half way through the game is a massive pain in the [donkey] and is total bull[poopy]. Why did I put all that time and Moolah into all of those upgrades if I wasn't going to be allowed to keep them? It felt like a pointless waste of time. The whole first half of the game was a infuriatingly pointless waste of time to me. The second half was actually decent, and gave the game a much needed mix up in terms of gameplay, but losing everything I'd worked for in the beginning hours just felt like a punch in the gut...

All in all, It was ok, But I'd probably not play it again.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2014
    Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate (Vita) - Fun game, but man those boss fights were annoying. A couple were fun, but most were just a pain.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TyphaonTyphaon Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) - I really enjoyed this one. Fun and challenging.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God (Vita)

Just cleared the Extra Chapter Dungeon. Game itself was alright, but that extra chapter dungeon was unnecessarily long. Except maybe for trophy completionists.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    *Redacted*
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Metro: Last Light[PS3] -- I am not a big shooter person, but I actually LOVED this game. The setting was haunting and disturbing, the narrative was actually intriguing, there was solid character development, and what I loved is that the game was fair in a lot of challenge - if I made a mistake, it was purely due to my own fault. I cannot wait to read the book (I got it for Christmas) and it's definitely worth the grab while it's free on Plus.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the head's up. Consider that game downloaded! Gotta love PSPlus
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    Metro: Last Light[PS3] -- I am not a big shooter person, but I actually LOVED this game. The setting was haunting and disturbing, the narrative was actually intriguing, there was solid character development, and what I loved is that the game was fair in a lot of challenge - if I made a mistake, it was purely due to my own fault. I cannot wait to read the book (I got it for Christmas) and it's definitely worth the grab while it's free on Plus.

Did you play 2033 first, or just jump straight into Last Light?
    edited February 2014
    Hello, Beautiful people!

I just finished the first update of the year! Please check for any mistakes on my part (or yours!)

Thank you guys for your patience, You're all fantastic.

Oh yeah, I just checked the list. I finished Atelier Iris 2: Azoth of Destiny instead of Atelier Iris 1: Eternal Mana. The latter I finished off a few years ago. Thanks!
    edited February 2014
    I'm trying to piece together my thoughts on Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD [Vita] after beating it last night... It's two half games that they tried to stitch together into a full game and, while I liked it, I feel like they could have made one really decent game if they didn't waste time switching back and forth between FPS and Mascot Platformer... Other Mascot Platformers have been able to lock in the shooty shooty aspects without going straight FPS and I feel that the Oddworld Inhabitants would have been better served by doing that. That and the gameplay until the second half is really really samey.

A) Get Bounty.
    B) Hunt Bounty.
    C) Return Bounty.
    D) Repeat.

You are quite right, the only real variations in the first part were the locations you go to, and the little hidden things scattered around. I had fun going through the farm, and the little village you pass through in one section. The scenery was nice to enjoy as well while passing through it and looking for secrets, trying to figure out how to jump up to high ledges, etc.
    If you think that I'm oversimplifying it, please trust me, I'm not. I used the same strategy for almost every Bounty to take them in alive.

And, since I don't know if anybody has played it or plans on playing it, I'll spoiler tag this next part.
    Spoiler:
    Losing all of your upgrades half way through the game is a massive pain in the [donkey] and is total bull[poopy]. Why did I put all that time and Moolah into all of those upgrades if I wasn't going to be allowed to keep them? It felt like a pointless waste of time. The whole first half of the game was a infuriatingly pointless waste of time to me. The second half was actually decent, and gave the game a much needed mix up in terms of gameplay, but losing everything I'd worked for in the beginning hours just felt like a punch in the gut...

All in all, It was ok, But I'd probably not play it again.
    Spoiler:
    I didn't actually buy any upgrades at all, because I was saving all my moolah for the doctor to do the operation. I just barely had enough after all of the bounties and all of the secrets I found... Of course, you know how that turned out. At least I got a trophy for it!
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Completed Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (PSP)

Still a more enjoyable game than FFIV, sans the DS/iOS edition. The game's biggest issue is easily the overly large cast, which leads to too many clones. Would have been a sharper game with Ceodore and Ursula taking up their fathers' mantels, Golbez replacing Rydia as Black Mage/Summoner (should Rydia even still be alive or young? She's spent most of the past 15 years in the Feymarch), Edge as the only permanently playable ninja (others as guests), and Calca-Brina as a single character slot. For the final dungeon, I used Cecil-Rosa-Edge-Rydia-Kain, since the Final Fantasy Band was a good way to finish up bosses once I got the upper hand in a fight.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    kazriko wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    I didn't actually buy any upgrades at all, because I was saving all my moolah for the doctor to do the operation. I just barely had enough after all of the bounties and all of the secrets I found... Of course, you know how that turned out. At least I got a trophy for it!
    Spoiler:
    I thought I'd just keep doing bounties until I had 20,000 so I bought everything. Made the last couple bounties really really easy but really screwed up my expectations for the end game so that annoyed me.

Man, So the armor you got must have been a big boon to you since you didn't get upgrades, huh?
    Clix wrote: »
    Completed Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (PSP)

Still a more enjoyable game than FFIV, sans the DS/iOS edition. The game's biggest issue is easily the overly large cast, which leads to too many clones. Would have been a sharper game with Ceodore and Ursula taking up their fathers' mantels, Golbez replacing Rydia as Black Mage/Summoner (should Rydia even still be alive or young? She's spent most of the past 15 years in the Feymarch), Edge as the only permanently playable ninja (others as guests), and Calca-Brina as a single character slot. For the final dungeon, I used Cecil-Rosa-Edge-Rydia-Kain, since the Final Fantasy Band was a good way to finish up bosses once I got the upper hand in a fight.

I really want to play The After Years, as disjointed as I hear it is, so I'll probably eventually spring for the iOS version, since the DS version of FFIV was my favorite and they share a simlar style.
    edited February 2014
    Spoiler:
    I thought I'd just keep doing bounties until I had 20,000 so I bought everything. Made the last couple bounties really really easy but really screwed up my expectations for the end game so that annoyed me.

Man, So the armor you got must have been a big boon to you since you didn't get upgrades, huh?
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, it really helped at the end there, I was starting to struggle with the later bounties in the game because I didn't buy anything at all.

I really want to play The After Years, as disjointed as I hear it is, so I'll probably eventually spring for the iOS version, since the DS version of FFIV was my favorite and they share a simlar style.

I'm working on it on the PSP myself. I prefer the high-res 2d look to the cartoony 3d myself for these old games. Though, I am definitely getting burned out on FF4, but I want to finish it entirely so I can delete it from my Vita.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    2/15/2014 - Red Faction (PC). Normal difficulty. I enjoyed the game, even after all this time, but it is an argument against nostalgia in more than a few ways. While the destructable caves are a fun bit, there's really very little opportunity for it to matter, as you're mostly marching along a path and blowing dudes up. The AI isn't all that great, relying more on pinpoint aim than advanced tactics, and when the rail driver shows up in enemy hands in the last quarter of the game, the resulting insta-kills can really drain one's willingness to persist. And man, you really come to miss autosave when it's not there, lemmie tell ya!

At least saving is lickety-split here. Man, saving to the PS2 memory card could take two or three minutes back in the day. I still can't believe I beat that version back in the day.
    kazriko wrote: »
    Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4)

Interesting ending. The last mission was a bit hard/annoying.

Oh, the last mission is such a pain in the rear. Really,
    Spoiler:
    a stealth mission at the end of such a fast-paced game
    is such an odd, frustrating change of pace. The payoff was at least rewarding, in its own nihilistic way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Tales of Innocence R (Vita)

A weak entry of the Tales series compared to recent console releases (from Abyss to Xillia), it's still a functional Tales game with fun techs. Interestingly I enjoyed playing as the two new to the Vita version characters more than the original 6. The not so great controls (the first right after doing a free run motion never worked for me and guarding seemed to have delay in its activation) is barely spiced up by the Rave system, which allows you to get bonuses (you get to choose) if your hit/damage dealt to enemies in a certain period of time gauge reaches a certain level. Adding skills is straightforward in a grid system, though the paltry amount of CP you unlock per character means you might equip 20-50% of the skills they've learned (but you want to learn them to majorly boost your stats, which I didn't find out until 5 or so hours into the game and wondered why early bosses were dealing so much damage in Normal mode). Cooking and skits are the usual, though you can easily see the character's ability at cooking and their affinity levels with different characters (gauges to tell you how far you may be away from unlocking a skit).

As for the characters/story, I didn't find any of the characters to be especially endearing or charming. Their personalities felt a bit shallow. Also, the cast, if not due to actual ages, felt incredibly young and "innocent", though I suppose they were arrogant naive like young Asbel. Of course, some of the charm of the dialogue is lost on my lack of mastery of the Japanese language. In fact, there's a portion of the game where I just followed where to go but I had no idea why we were doing the things we were doing
    Spoiler:
    (I did not understand why it was so important to visit spots to retrieve memories of the past selves that we risked getting captured. Also not 100% sure the whole "betrayals" by Ricardo and Ange. Thankfully there is TVTropes to help clarify things)
    . The game has an interesting start but ultimately ends up having some Tales hallmarks, as in friendship gives you strength, etc.

If I replay a new game+ of this game, I get to understand the dialogues between the two new characters (its displayed in alphabetic symbols and if I say more I risk possibly big spoilers), but I don't think I will need or want to replay this game anytime soon.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited February 2014
    The Last Story (Wii)

I had a lot of fun with this one, but it was somewhat soured by the final battle. Unbeknownst to me, I was progressing through the game a bit underleveled. So, by the time I reached the last few bosses, culminating in the final boss, I was having some difficulty. This confused me since the normal battles were usually pretty easy for me. Anyways, I tried to beat the final boss about 5 times at level 55 before giving up and grinding at the summoning circle up to about level 64. That in and of itself isn't a huge deal, but it was frustrating that the final boss had 3 forms, didn't save your progress in between, and the individual forms were somewhat time consuming to defeat.

Despite that one minor bad experience, overall I enjoyed this game a lot. It was obvious that it had flaws, including huge technical problems, and somewhat glitchy gameplay at times. The positives outweighed the negatives though, as I loved the simple to understand but somewhat deep customization of equipment. Also, the action battles with a tactical element reminded me of other games that did this well, like Dragon Age (although The Last Story doesn't go quite that deep).

Definitely a fun little game that is easy to plow through and enjoy. I finished in about 30 hours.
    edited February 2014
    2/17/2014 - Red Faction II (PC). Medium difficulty. "Good" ending, though it seems to make no difference, as it's the same video with a different narration. That is but one of the many, many issues this game has. The weapons feel cheap and underpowered. Enemies are bullet/explosive sponges throughout the whole game. There are many places with infinitely spawning enemies, including a boss battle in a closed area where getting a shot in without being ripped apart from all directions was nearly impossible.
    Spoiler:
    The face/heel turn of much of your squad comes out of nowhere, as does the heel/face turn again of one of them at the end
    . The game has zombie like characters that are one step away from being blatant ripoffs of the Flood from Halo (this game came out in October 2002 originally, for perspective). The hud is enormous and obnoxious. Need I go on?

Seriously, Volition is a great developer with a long history (both in this incarnation and as Parallax Software), but this is Devil May Cry 2-level bastardization of a franchise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I finally finished Disgaea 4. Man, whatta fun game. I've always felt that the battles in those game lack strategy (Really, I just move forward, always using my biggest attacks. High offense wins the day nearly every time). However, many of the story battles are more like puzzles, making me stop and think about my approach. And growing the characters always requires a little planning. This time, for example, I reincarnated each of my casters as a caster of a different type once I opened up more classes. This gave them more flexibility in spell casting, making them much more useful. Having a fire wizard that can heal and buff, for example, came in handy when my main healer got KO'd. I loved the story and characters in that game. I will say, it felt like it took a solid two hours longer for me to beat than other Disgaea games' main story mode... I wanna say it had a higher level cap.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited February 2014
    2/17/2014 - Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt (PC). Not really much there. You dig for ore, engage in a bit of very light combat, and get money to build up both yourself and the town. End boss was pretty much Zeromus for all he had to do with anything, really, and the ending is not exactly what I'd call fulfilling. It's not a bad game, per se, but it's a very short one without much to come back to. I'm glad I got it at discount.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Completed Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies (3DS). Oh man oh man oh man. That fifth case. So unbelievably good through the whole game.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited February 2014
    The Wolf Among Us - Episode 2: Smoke and Mirrors (PSN)
    I figured out who the culprit was going to be (or the most likely suspect) for this episode's case way before the end. I'm either getting really good at investigation due to years of Phoenix Wright and related games or this investigation was too straightforward. As for how they are related to the main one? Time (AND MORE EPISODES) can only tell. I wasn't as engaged in this episode as previous, but I enjoyed the new characters introduced. More of Georgie and his people can't be a bad thing in my book.
    Oh yeah, can't mention my thoughts on this without mentioning the handful of graphical glitches I bumped into. Not that they are sequence breaking or anything, but its quite easy to get thrown off your game when Bigby gets to no-clip through the table where the Fable book is. Hopefully this and other graphical stutters won't be present in future episodes.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I finished Bravely Default (3DS) last night. The slow-paced, mind-numbingly moronic story and party members dragged down the game for me, and the unique take on repetition in the last half might have sounded like a good idea on paper, but its implementation made for a really boring gameplay experience. It would have been much tighter if it packed more story info and plot progression into Chapter 4, then ended after Chapter 5 rather than dragging everything out to extend the game time.

Loved the jobs, customization, battle system, and interface, though. Kudos to the voice acting and all the little conveniences in the game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited February 2014
    Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSVita) -- WTHDIDIJUSTPLAYANDOMGSOEXCITEDFORHENEXTGAME.

Yeah, I many have binged this game in the last five days. It hooked it's claws into me and I couldn't stop playing. While a few parts were a touch predictable, the turns the game took were fast and hard (hee hee phrasing) and it was difficult to turn away. Really excited for the sequel now!
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Spec Ops: The Line (PS3). Finished it in about 4 relatively short sittings.

Not a bad game here, and definitely something I wouldn't have ever played without the positive word of mouth surrounding it. A fun and simple shooter with an interesting storyline and some great imagery sprinkled in. Glad I rented it and gave it a chance.
    edited February 2014
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Spec Ops: The Line (PS3). Finished it in about 4 relatively short sittings.

Not a bad game here, and definitely something I wouldn't have ever played without the positive word of mouth surrounding it. A fun and simple shooter with an interesting storyline and some great imagery sprinkled in. Glad I rented it and gave it a chance.

I loved that game and it came at an interesting time for me (my dad had just passed away last year) and I remember being glued to it. I love that it's not a difficult game in terms of the gameplay itself, but the decisions can be surprisingly gut wrenching and brutal. It's one I'd like to replay at some point and do all my decisions backwards to see what the other side is!
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSVita) -- WTHDIDIJUSTPLAYANDOMGSOEXCITEDFORHENEXTGAME.

Butter or margarine? :p

I rolled credits on Fantasy Life (3DS), but being finished with this game is like being finished with an MMORPG: theoretically possible, annoyingly difficult to quantify.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Finished Bravely Default (3DS). Fantastic game, a great, modern take on the classic JRPG formula, and despite what everyone seems to think about the last act, I thought it was brilliant. I suspect that the people who didn't
    Spoiler:
    actually played through all 8 chapters, which was a mistake.
    I finished Bravely Default (3DS) last night. The slow-paced, mind-numbingly moronic story and party members dragged down the game for me, and the unique take on repetition in the last half might have sounded like a good idea on paper, but its implementation made for a really boring gameplay experience. It would have been much tighter if it packed more story info and plot progression into Chapter 4, then ended after Chapter 5 rather than dragging everything out to extend the game time.

I'm curious as to whether you
    Spoiler:
    played through all eight chapters, because the game actually DOES end at the beginning of Chapter 6 if you want it to. All you have to do is break a crystal, a set-up that is frankly genius. I'm probably going to write an editorial about it because that whole ending situation has so much nuance to it.

Also, a neat thing I noticed for anyone who's beaten the game:
    Spoiler:
    If you take the "Final Fantasy" out of the original title, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, you get Bravely Default: Lying Airy, which of course is the big truth of the game. I'm like 99% sure that can't have been a coincidence.

Edit:
    Spoiler:
    Nope, definitely not a coincidence. If you go to the main menu after saving clear data, "Where the Fairy Flies" has been partly blanked out to simply read "Airy Lies." God damn that is so clever.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I had two seperate issues with Bravely Default's story. One was how its slow progression and large amount of repetition resulted in a gameplay experience that wasn't very fun. It would have worked great in about any other form of media, but manually revisiting every place and
    Spoiler:
    rereading so much duplicated, long-winded dialogue
    was extremely boring to me.

The second issue was the plot progression's reliance on the 4 party members being so stupid I found them difficult to believe. Chapters 1-4 are driven alternatively by Edea's quick, murderous temper, and cloistered Agnes's ignorant dogma. Generally, whichever leads to the stupidest party decision is the one used to drive the plot. I found that infuriating because the setting, villains, and lore deserved a much more intelligent, rational guide interacting with them. Granted,
    Spoiler:
    the parallel worlds let them eventually stop and ask questions instead of killing every knowledgeable person they meet, and long monologues by the sage and vampire (annoyingly broken out over a few chapters)
    ultimately satisfied everything I wanted to know, but at no point did any of the party members seem capable of thought or normal conversation.

I agree that the story had excellent, original ideas, but the execution, particularly as a video game experience, was awful. I liked everything else about the game, though, and I enjoyed playing it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Adding some extra text so that all the spoiler tagged stuff doesn't appear on the front page. Nothing to see here, carry on with your business.
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Edit:
    Spoiler:
    Nope, definitely not a coincidence. If you go to the main menu after saving clear data, "Where the Fairy Flies" has been partly blanked out to simply read "Airy Lies." God damn that is so clever.
    Spoiler:
    Heh, there was a reason I didn't really carry on our conversation a week or two back about the Flying Fairy subtitle appearing on the home screen and why it still exited there ^^. It actually changes at a point during one of chapter 5-8s if I remember correctly. I believe it also changes into a Bravely Second logo if you watch the teaser trailer :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
This discussion has been closed.