If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Mailbag presents: Final Fantasy Opened Mind Second Chance

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Wheels wrote: »
    The series changes often so can't see any reason not to keep checking back in. This isn't Call of Duty, XV or XVI or XVII etc. etc. etc. could be something right up your alley.

My issue would be that there would have been 6 FFs I have not enjoyed or had any interest in playing since the last one I did enjoy. So its not just a matter of one not hitting the spot... its a new trend.
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Other than Dimensions, I haven't played any new entries in the series since FF12. I likely won't ever play FF13 until collective heads exit rears and it's published on PC. The primary complaint I hear on it (its linearity) wouldn't bother me, though.

I tend to view the series as visual novels that just so happen to have gameplay elements. Granted, that means for me there's not exactly much meat on the bone in the first three games, but my favorites in the series either have exceptionally good storytelling (FF6) or strike a great balance between storytelling and gameplay (FF10). As long as the gameplay doesn't get in the way, they all are good enough to get the job done.

That's my problem with Final Fantasy IX, the one I'm playing now. To take my metaphor a step further, it's as if a lot of the pages in my book are stuck together and I have to stop to peel them apart. Or the book just slaps shut and catches my finger in the process. :glare:
    Rise!
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    smacd wrote: »
    Understandable. However given the kerfuffle around Tomb Raider not being "successful" despite being a high selling game- between Bravely Default and Final Fantasy 13, which was more successful by Square's standards? There may be a massive difference in pure sales numbers in FF13's favor, but I'd have to imagine that FF13 also cost them probably several millions of dollars more to create in the first place.

Fair point. What I was more trying to drive home is the sales numbers for FFXIII, a highly divisive game, already indicate a desire for more Square Enix RPGs. So the bigger question is what's taking so long for executives in the company to figure out that "hey! would could be making more money from these."

All that said I'd love more Bravely Default type throwbacks though I could do without the Tales type skits that I feel obligated to activate for some reason (and have only found to be annoying).
    I'm still planning to play through 13-2 and 13-3

If you didn't like 13 not sure why you'd bother with 13-2. 13-3 is its own awesome beast (just turn your brain off for the story) and a completely oddball thing I'd love to see them try more of.
    Aurian wrote: »
    My issue would be that there would have been 6 FFs I have not enjoyed or had any interest in playing since the last one I did enjoy. So its not just a matter of one not hitting the spot... its a new trend.

If they were all made by the same directors and same developers I'd say maybe you have a point, but they aren't. That's also a selection of six widely different games. I'm not saying they're likely to make an FF that magically recaptures your attention, just that it'd be foolish not to consider new entries as they come.
    Other than Dimensions, I haven't played any new entries in the series since FF12. I likely won't ever play FF13 until collective heads exit rears and it's published on PC. The primary complaint I hear on it (its linearity) wouldn't bother me, though.

I tend to view the series as visual novels that just so happen to have gameplay elements. Granted, that means for me there's not exactly much meat on the bone in the first three games, but my favorites in the series either have exceptionally good storytelling (FF6) or strike a great balance between storytelling and gameplay (FF10). As long as the gameplay doesn't get in the way, they all are good enough to get the job done.

That's my problem with Final Fantasy IX, the one I'm playing now. To take my metaphor a step further, it's as if a lot of the pages in my book are stuck together and I have to stop to peel them apart. Or the book just slaps shut and catches my finger in the process. :glare:

I don't really get that metaphor with IX? I know the combat is pokey but I absolutely adore that cast of characters.

As for your note on PC, I couldn't agree more. In this era it seems completely silly not to be getting these games out on PC. Hopefully getting VII and VIII on steam is a start.
    However with a game like FF2 which I've never met anyone who considers it one of their favorites, maybe this would be a good target. It has a LOT of potential with gamers being more accepting of the organic growth (as long as they drop the hyperbolic description of it being the game you just hit yourself being, which is as ridiculous as the claim that FF12 just plays itself).

Don't get me started on that FF12 "plays itself" nonsense. We'll be here all day.

FF2 is a very interesting experiment, and it certainly paid off in essentially spawning the SaGa series. I wonder how gamers would have reacted had we gotten FF2 on the NES? Perhaps it could have spawned a larger SaGa fanbase? Regardless, FF2 is interesting despite its issues and it certainly could have used more updating than it has received. I think the reason a lot of people don't list it as a favorite despite there being plenty of fans of its combat is simply the lack of better story and characters, since that's a bigger element to the game than FF1 or FF3.

Long story short: we need more SaGa
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Fair point. What I was more trying to drive home is the sales numbers for FFXIII, a highly divisive game, already indicate a desire for more Square Enix RPGs.

Not necessarily. Most of XIII's sales were front-ended within its first few weeks (tends to happen for major series, especially after 3-4 years since the previous entry and for a game may fans had bought a PS3 for a few years earlier). Those sales correlate to the hype, not the definitive quality or fan satisfaction. All it meant was that millions had been waiting for XIII and jumped on board the moment they finally were given the chance. The more indicative numbers would be those for the sequels and in relation to competition released at that same time. For example, Tales of Xillia out performed XIII-2 in Japan when they were released around the same time, even though FF tends out well out perform the Tales series.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Another good metric is seeing how far the resale value drops on the Japanese secondhand market. Three months after release, FF13 hit an all-time low of 1500 yen ($15) secondhand as a few million copies got dumped on the used game stores. It's rebounded a bit since then, but I've only rarely seen it above $25 over here.
    edited April 2014
    I don't really get that metaphor with IX? I know the combat is pokey but I absolutely adore that cast of characters.

As for your note on PC, I couldn't agree more. In this era it seems completely silly not to be getting these games out on PC. Hopefully getting VII and VIII on steam is a start.

For some reason, I have zero memory of the story and cast so far. It has been over ten years, I suppose, but I just remember bits and pieces of the plot. That being said, at this point I suppose you could say I'm "neutral" to "amused" on the cast. My point's entirely on the gameplay.

I've been reflecting on this more lately, and I think a big part of the problem is that I was playing the first two in the Suikoden series around the time I first played this one, and those games have lightning-fast gameplay in comparison.

And yes, I've been hoping that SE's acquisition of Eidos would lead to more PC publishing, but it hasn't seemed to make a big difference yet. I hope it does, because literally the only other game that interests me in the entire--combined--console exclusive PS3 and X360 library is Valkyria Chronicles. Maybe I'll get a cheap used PS3 somewhere down the road.
    Rise!
    edited April 2014
    Clix wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Most of XIII's sales were front-ended within its first few weeks (tends to happen for major series, especially after 3-4 years since the previous entry and for a game may fans had bought a PS3 for a few years earlier). Those sales correlate to the hype, not the definitive quality or fan satisfaction. All it meant was that millions had been waiting for XIII and jumped on board the moment they finally were given the chance. The more indicative numbers would be those for the sequels and in relation to competition released at that same time. For example, Tales of Xillia out performed XIII-2 in Japan when they were released around the same time, even though FF tends out well out perform the Tales series.

Umnn, what's your point? I'm scratching my head as to how this doesn't point to desire for more RPGs from Square Enix. I never suggested everyone was satisfied with XIII, just that the sales indicate there's still a clear demand. The sales of the direct sequels aren't super irrelevant as even the sequel to the much more popular FFX didn't sell as well as the original (though obviously it did much better than XIII's sequels). There's a demand for RPGs from Square Enix, there has been for years, Bravely default proves nothing is the point I'm trying to make.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2014
    Got my but kicked a bit because I guess X-2 expected me to wander around some more? Not that I mind, I like this battle system more when it's challenging.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited April 2014
    I'm finding grinding in FF2's android port is a bit more of a pain than other versions I've played. I don't think the cancel trick works anymore, so I'm having to grind spells legit, which takes forever. The final dungeon enemies are doing drain attacks into the 1000s, which is both a pain to heal and when my team only has 3000-5000 hps, its pretty dangerous. It also seems like the attack skills don't increase unless you are attacking certain difficulty enemies- so my attack skills are stuck around level 10 (max is 16). I don't recall this limitation in older versions of this game. I've been sticking to unarmed since it's generally been the most powerful in the game, but Leon's dual axes are finally more powerful. Its also fairly disappointing that level 10 Ultima is weaker than level 10 unarmed attack. Not sure if I'll grind Ultima/Flare/Holy all the way to 16, or just long enough to also buff up my MP high enough to survive two back-to-back dungeons that I can't use cottages in. At least Elixirs are purchasable in this game.

Either way, my goal is to complete this game this weekend. I'm already 5 hours over the HLTB time for it.

Suddenly glad I never bothered with the (presumably same) iOS Port.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I'm finding grinding in FF2's android port is a bit more of a pain than other versions I've played. I don't think the cancel trick works anymore, so I'm having to grind spells legit, which takes forever. The final dungeon enemies are doing drain attacks into the 1000s, which is both a pain to heal and when my team only has 3000-5000 hps, its pretty dangerous. It also seems like the attack skills don't increase unless you are attacking certain difficulty enemies- so my attack skills are stuck around level 10 (max is 16). I don't recall this limitation in older versions of this game. I've been sticking to unarmed since it's generally been the most powerful in the game, but Leon's dual axes are finally more powerful. Its also fairly disappointing that level 10 Ultima is weaker than level 10 unarmed attack. Not sure if I'll grind Ultima/Flare/Holy all the way to 16, or just long enough to also buff up my MP high enough to survive two back-to-back dungeons that I can't use cottages in. At least Elixirs are purchasable in this game.

Either way, my goal is to complete this game this weekend. I'm already 5 hours over the HLTB time for it.

Ultima's strength is bizarre. It gets stronger based on the amount and average level of your character's spell list. If you don't have 15 other spells, all over level 8, Ultimate will pretty much never be useful. But that's only half of it. It also depends on the character's weapon skill levels. So, if the character isn't at least half-maxed out, Ultima is one of the most useless spells.

Sadly, the only time you'll see Ultima rip through enemies is if you play Rebirth of Souls--Minwu makes Ultima look godly.
  • RockkoRockko Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Well I started FFX HD up a few days ago and realized that I never completed the original. I was having to move a lot back then and only got about halfway into it. I knew that I had never played FFX-2 before and was looking forward to digging into it afterwards. But now I'm getting to experience the majority of both games essentially for the first time. Good times...
    edited April 2014
    How's everyone progressing? Anyone in need of extending the deadline?
    sig.gif
  • CadianCadian oh god who are you people Back and forth between New York and VermontFull Members
    edited April 2014
    Deadline is the end of April, right? I guess that's enough time to dust off my friend's copy of FFVIII and blast my way through it if I ignore the sidequests. I just hope the random battles aren't as tedious and poorly paced as I remember them being.
    Twitters! Steams! Tumblrs!
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-5875-0306
    Brave Frontier Player ID: 6146529113
    Competitive Pokemon list - if you'd like tiny Lv. 1 versions, let me know!
    edited April 2014
    End of April yeah, though I may extend it for myself because I'm behind on my FFX-2 playing.

VIII's big problem is the summon animations, because they're such a HUGE part of that game. When not using them things can go pretty quickly.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • Shannon HarleShannon Harle qt = π RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    I'm cool with an extension 'cause... the most I've played of FF8 has been a teeny-tiny bit of Cactaur grinding on my hacked file from when I was a kid. Basically FFXHD and FFXIV have been eating up all my time haha. Playing FF games I actually like instead of the one I'm ehh about. ;)
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
    edited April 2014
    I'll push it to May 15th (as the day I'll need your writeups by to be eligible to win the prize) as that approaches I'll double check with everyone again!
    sig.gif
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Kinda glad the deadline is being extended. I was swamped with exams and tests. Don't know when I'll get further in FFX because I also have two review games on my plate (crying face) but darn it, I do want to try.
    edited April 2014
    Nyx wrote: »
    Kinda glad the deadline is being extended. I was swamped with exams and tests. Don't know when I'll get further in FFX because I also have two review games on my plate (crying face) but darn it, I do want to try.

Since you aren't eligible for the prize, don't worry about finishing or anything, just get far enough that all the mechanics are open and you've give it a fair chance to see whether you actually like it or not.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2014
    Don't think I'm making it, even with the extended deadline. A week ago I hit another Game Over on a boss with no prior save point and I'm still irritated. I think this is also a sign that I shouldn't try replaying any of the first three games in the series anytime soon.
    Rise!
  • RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    I've done some quests in this tower in FF13. All my characters are done their main jobs to max level currently, which means battles just feel pointless even though they're everywhere. The only times I've had fun in this game so far are the times I can just fight and get stronger. It's surprisingly fun when you don't have to pay attention to the story and can just fight and run around. Unfortunately they want to cap you and give you tiny bits every so often. Combine that with my issues with AI (seriously Lightning, this guy halves physical attacks and you don't even have bravery on! Why are you using aquastrike instead of just water?) and I think you can imagine how my final opinion is going to end.

Maybe I'll be surprised, but at this rate I'm fairly certain I won't feel better for having actually played this game.

The AI chooses attack type based on your stats. Chances are she's using strikes because her strength is greater than magic (or roughly equal).
    PSN: TLDragoon
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Instructions in the first post, but probably worth quoting as a reminder :)
    When complete you should email me your writeup for the rpgamer mailbag at wheels@rpgamer.com or in the RPGamer Mailbag thread.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited May 2014
    So I set May15 as the end date thinking I'd get some of the writeups in to the Mailbag the next day, but that seems unrealistic, so let's just say the end date is the 18th so ya'll have until the end of that weekend.
    sig.gif
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited May 2014
    hmm, my last save was on the Gran Pulse temple in XIII when I stopped playing it, so I think finishing that might not even be that painful now.
    I really liked XIII-2 though (and the other FF games beside XIII that i played. I just stopped bothering with the optional grindy sidequests in 10 and beyond)
    Trance Radiance Infinity

edited May 2014
    So the deadline passed and I only have one entry. I guess I'll be extending the deadline until the end of May? Everyone get distracted from FFs?
    sig.gif
    edited May 2014
    Reminder: saturday is the last day for entries
    sig.gif