If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Praise the Sun! Dark Souls 2 Playthrough and Discussion

LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
edited August 2014 in Role Playing Games
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dark-souls-ii

To be honest I was worried about this game being watered down. I can't wait to play this but I'm having a tight situation right now....
Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Most common deaths reported:

By far and away the most common-Learning the jump button has changed and falling off ladders or rolling off cliffs

Second most common-Kicking the dogs in the tutorial

Third most common-Punching the "cyclops-thing"
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2014
    This supposed to be a Dark Souls 2 thread? Logged in to make one just now, and I'm not sure what to make of this exactly. If you don't mind LK I'll edit the title a little bit so everyone knows where to go to talk about it. Send me a PM if this wasn't your intention and you just wanted to talk about the reviews or something instead.
  • RockkoRockko Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    My first death was around the first post-tutorial bonfire. I thought I was "safe" and exploring the "town", and the game was like: "Surprise! Zombie pigs!"
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Most common deaths reported:

By far and away the most common-Learning the jump button has changed and falling off ladders or rolling off cliffs

Did no one look at the options when starting the game? One of them is selecting what to use as the jump button and it's pretty front and center.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited March 2014
    Did no one look at the options when starting the game?

I guess not. But really, checking out the options screen is a tall order for most people, heh.

I never really used the jump action in Dark Souls. There are scant few instances where you actually need to jump.
    edited March 2014
    Alright then, time to kickoff my meaningless playthrough reports!

At the character customization screen, I saw a very neat class that Dual Wielded swords, but I remember highly regretting not picking Knight to start off with in Dark Souls, so used my better judgement and picked Knight. The decision was a great one given my progress thus far, plus I'd like to give the STR weapons a shot this time around. Anyway, my first death came in the tutorial area. In my over eagerness to explore, I tricked those Cyclops bear things and got into some kind of coffin that
    Spoiler:
    changed my character's gender.
    Bizarre. So I got back into the coffin quickly, and when I came back the 2nd time those creatures mauled me with no chance to escape.

The starting area wasn't really as interesting as the Undead Burgh, but serviceable none the less. I love that you can now quick travel to bonfires from the start, good work from the developers. Majula seems like a better hub than Firelink did, but I suppose things could change later on. Got to the first boss pretty quickly, the
    Spoiler:
    Last Giant.
    This guy was actually a little annoying since I did such a pitiful amount of damage, and the area attacks had deceptive reach behind its body. Then I got lost for a little while, trying to unlock doors that ultimately led to nowhere important. Unsure where to go, I wandered to
    Spoiler:
    Heide's Tower of Flame
    , a place with
    Spoiler:
    Giant knights
    . The difficulty for these guys was a little high given their damage output versus mine, but the red caped knights were similar, so I decided to start testing out weapons and grinding a little bit to see what to upgrade. Ultimately I decided on the Morning Star, which has served me very well upgraded to +3. The
    Spoiler:
    Two-handed Sword Giant Knights
    are still really frustrating, but after getting by them and tricking the AI to let me have 1v1 fights, this area became easier for me to get through than the red caped knights. The boss of this area,
    Spoiler:
    Dragonrider
    was incredibly easy just by strafing a little bit. Probably should have switched this guy around with the first boss. Finally, I went a little ways into
    Spoiler:
    No-Man's Wharf
    whose enemies are nowhere near as difficult as the previous area. This is essentially where I stopped playing. All told I'm liking Dark Souls 2 quite a bit. Can't help but wonder though if I'm going through places in an unusual order or missed a locked door that would lead somewhere new.
    edited March 2014
    I never really used the jump button in Dark Souls.

There wasn't one was there? You had to dash and then tap the dash button didn't you? I never could get it right...
    edited March 2014
    2nd day update! Currently sitting at Soul Level 55 and 22 deaths in total according to the plaque in Majula. I'm a little unsure what to do with my character at this point. I have 40 Strength and nearly 20 Endurance and Adaptability, but I don't know whether or not I want to invest in a magic tree or vitality. There's also the option of dual wielding those fist weapons and have balanced Strength and Dexterity that looks cool but doesn't offer much in the way of alternatives. I may even use the respec option I read about somewhere to just go back to dexterity, since I'm not digging most of the strength favored weapons so far.

Picking up from where I left off, the first order of business was to kill the boss in
    Spoiler:
    No-Man's Wharf, Flexile Sentry
    . Wow, this guy was really easy too. Downed him my first try just like
    Spoiler:
    Dragonrider
    , the poor guy just didn't stand a chance at all. Moving on, I ended up in
    Spoiler:
    Lost Bastille
    and fought my way through some neat scythe wielding enemies and the ever pesky pooches that have been in both previous titles. This place was rather short, and getting to the boss wasn't bad at all. The boss itself,
    Spoiler:
    The Ruin Sentries
    is actually a very intimidating encounter, one that I suspect will give many people problems and may even be one of the more infamous spots in the game.
    Spoiler:
    Because you have to fight 3 of them at once, the fight seems almost impossible especially if you get knocked down from the platform at the start. It was funny being almost instantly whacked the first time I dropped in by the sentry to the left. It took several fights to realize, but I finally found out that even if a sentry falls, they will still jump back onto the platform to fight you. Killing the first one that way helped alot, and what got me through was going in with humanity and summoning that nice sorcerer guy. It basically made the fight way easier, almost as laughable as Dragonrider was with how helpful this Phantom was.
    Good boss encounter though nonetheless.

Pressing on, I soon found myself in
    Spoiler:
    Sinner's Rise
    , a place where those underwater
    Spoiler:
    Exploding Face-plant Zombies
    really got on my nerves. They were really easy to run past and beat on land, but for some reason they were quite bothersome in the water. The boss of this area, the
    Spoiler:
    Sinner, is a really cool katana wielder who dashed all over the place.
    The first time I came into this room I had the NPC with me that you can summon since I was still in human form, but she had only half health, and I was taken off guard how quickly you get dashed at, losing 3/4ths of my health and then I just sacrificed myself since I just had a feeling she was going to die. This fight eventually boiled down to be a more difficult version of
    Spoiler:
    Old Dragonslayer
    , who I forgot to mention in my last post. Keeping the shield up and strafing with pot shots was all I could really do here, it felt like mostly a stamina management duel. Another good boss fight here.

After that I got lost again not knowing where to go, and ended up exploring the first area again to see if I missed anything. Turns out I did, the boss room to face off against the
    Spoiler:
    Pursuer
    . This boss was pretty easy as well, though it changed up its pattens just enough that I needed an extra attempt or two to finish it off. Abusing the dash attack was mostly what I used to win. Killing him just brought me back to a previous area however, so after wasting a fair bit of time I finally discovered the entrance to
    Spoiler:
    Huntsman's Copse
    . There is a strange NPC here who mutters about Darkness but won't talk to me, I figure he'll only talk to magically inclined characters. A little ways into this area was where I stopped playing. There was a spot where 4 or 5 big guys with dark hammers just bum rushed me, and I didn't have the time or energy to figure out if I should just skip them or try to kill them all.
    edited March 2014
    I guess not. But really, checking out the options screen is a tall order for most people, heh.

When you start a new game it has you go through the options.
    sig.gif
    edited March 2014
    When you start a new game it has you go through the options.

And when you buy new software, you almost always have to review some kind of agreement. Does that mean everyone reads it? Nope.

Anyway, From has published the current tally of deaths and their source:

Falls: 590,589 deaths
    Traps: 57,509 deaths
    PVP: 43,711 deaths
    Enemies: 2,186,193 deaths
    Other: 91,500 deaths
    edited March 2014
    And when you buy new software, you almost always have to review some kind of agreement. Does that mean everyone reads it? Nope.

uhhh being presented a list of options (jump button one is even right at the top) is A HUGE difference from being presented with a massive wall of text for an online agreement. I had no interest in changing the options and still saw the jump one quite clearly. Really can't see how peopled missed it.
    sig.gif
    edited March 2014
    It was just one example of a thing most people commonly skip. Today's gamers are generally lazy. It's not a secret.
    Really can't see how peopled missed it.

If it makes you feel better, that same thread also featured other people saying the same thing. It was like 12 to 1, though.

*Okay, if you think that's bad, check this out:
    It was in the tutorial area, and I was being extra cautious not to die to any enemies. I ended up walking off the cliff and into the ocean.
    edited March 2014
    So much to talk about, where to begin? How about out by asking a couple of questions to those who've play it. Have you found parrying to be much more difficult compared to Dark Souls 1? Have you been significantly annoyed by some of the platforming elements (to get to secret spots or treasure)? These are some of the things that have been lingering issues for me, as I probably have more deaths from botched jumps and trying to learn how to parry than anything else.

According to this I last left off in Huntsman's Copse. I ended up taking another path and fighting a fun boss
    Spoiler:
    The Skeletal Lords, who are just a huge group of skeletons
    . Not bad because of their health and damage output, though I imagine and earlier encounter would result in a tougher fight. Soon I found myself in this game's land of poison, which was not something I was eager to tackle. As a result, I decided to revisit the gate blocked by the statute at the start of Majula. Sure enough I had acquired the item to get past this spot, and was in the
    Spoiler:
    Shaded Woods.
    There was a cool little forest of fog you have to explore here with invisible enemies that were a bit of a headache. I emerged in yet another really annoying area, a place with Beast Warriors wielding axes and a battlefield rife with Curse status everywhere. This was one of the tougher areas in the game for me at this time, because with the curses/deaths I was stuck at half health and one attack from any of the enemies killed me in one hit. In addition, there was this
    Spoiler:
    Scorpion-Man Hybrid
    enemy that dropped an amazing ring, the Second Dragon Ring which is this game's version of Ring of Favor, I think. Finally, I actually got lost in this small little zone because I didnt realize there was a little path behind the towers that led to the boss. Must have wandered around for 30 minutes or more before realizing how dumb I was for missing that. The boss here was a
    Spoiler:
    Scorpion Woman, some relation to that guy I'm guessing
    that was actually fairly easy. The boss only casted a magical attack once or twice through the whole fight, and instead opted to do its slow physical attack very often. I'm guessing this boss is one that ranged characters would have quite a bit of trouble with if standing too far away results in magic casts galore.

Pressing forward, I ended up in
    Spoiler:
    Brightstone Cove, land of the spiders and sniper mages
    . Boy, this area was just about as bad as the previous. You get sniped constantly during any exploration, and there are lots of group encounters that challenged my magic-less range-less character. Not only that, but there was a house whose entrance could seemingly only be accessed by jumping to it, which I suicided trying to reach about 20 times before finally giving up. The boss of this area,
    Spoiler:
    Freja, was a truly frightening spider fight
    It was a very strange boss, in that it acted mostly as a tank where the little infantry were the true threat if they started to chase you down. Its amazing how much damage everything did to me in this boss fight. I tried equipping stronger, heavier armor, but if it did change the amount of damage I took, I didnt notice because most of the attacks one-shot me here regardless. This fight basically made me change my armor up and decide that from now on I'll be equipping light, fashionable equipment as opposed to the Drangleic armor. Furthermore, the craftable weapons you get from this boss soul were very appealing from a dexterity perspective, so I decided to use a Soul Vessel and try one of them out. More on that next time.

Hope everyone's enjoying DS2 as much as I am and just don't have the time to post about it.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Got this in the mail on Friday and played it quite a bit over the weekend. Got past the first boss (
    Spoiler:
    The Last Giant
    ), although I struggled with it quite a bit. When I finally did beat him it was a pretty flawless victory, didn't have to use a single flask or health item. As a sidenote, I'm glad that they brought back consumable health items, a la Demon's Souls.

I did stray a bit into the area with the giant swordsmen. I was able to successfully take on the first swordsman and light the bonfire there, although my couple of attempts with the mace bearer resulted in deaths. It was a nice area to get quick boosts of souls though, since the bonfire was so close to the enemies, and they give 400 a piece.

So far I'm liking it a lot, although I still haven't found a weapon that I like. As usual with these games, I'm planning on going with a DEX build. The best I've found so far is a short sword, but I'm on the lookout for something better.
    edited March 2014
    Another update here. I'm definitely enjoying DS2 quite a bit. It's turning into once of those games for me that when I'm not playing it, I'm constantly thinking about it. Verdict is still out on it until I get all the way through it though, as I was enjoying the first Dark Souls as well until I got close to the end, at which point I started getting burned out on it.

I've progressed quite a bit since my last update. Finished up
    Spoiler:
    Heide's Tower of Flame
    , defeating the boss there. The boss was quite easy for me, defeating it on the first try. Also ventured up
    Spoiler:
    to the nearby Cathedral
    , and defeated the boss there, which was also quite easy.

I also tackled
    Spoiler:
    No Man's Wharf, which was a little bit frustrating design-wise, as there was not a great shortcut to the boss battle here
    . Luckily I defeated the boss after only a few tries.

Then of course, I decided to venture into the infamous
    Spoiler:
    Lost Bastille
    . First I'll have to mention that I loved the design here, with
    Spoiler:
    a swarm of enemies but a very clever shortcut that you can open to bypass them. Opening this shortcut is key for the impending boss battle, which I tried somewhere around 30 times to solo before finally succeeding. Raising my level and upgrading my weapon a bit proved to be the key here and I finally won
    . Very tough battle but very rewarding to finally win.

Currently trying to progress through
    Spoiler:
    Huntsman's Copse
    . So far not too bad. I suspect I'm getting close to the boss battle, since I just opened a convenient shortcut with a bonfire close by.

I'm still looking for a great DEX weapon. So far I've just been using an upgraded Longsword, which has proven decent enough, but I fully intend to trash that when I find a great katana or something to replace it with. Can't wait to open up more weapon options and get into the meta-game of upgrading equipment.
    edited March 2014
    Typho wrote: »
    I'm still looking for a great DEX weapon. So far I've just been using an upgraded Longsword, which has proven decent enough, but I fully intend to trash that when I find a great katana or something to replace it with. Can't wait to open up more weapon options and get into the meta-game of upgrading equipment.

The Dex weapon I ended up sticking with towards the end was the Manslayer Katana found later on in
    Spoiler:
    The Shrine of Amana
    . Until then I got by on the Falchion, whose location I don't remember at all, and the Blacksteel Katana, which drops from the enemies 2 areas after the one you're currently in. If you like Rapier's and drop down the mushrooms in the area with the bridge and the poison there will be Ricard's Rapier. Granted, I really don't like how Rapiers feel in this game compared to how fluid they were in the first Dark Souls. I think there's also some good boss soul dex weapons, particularly the ones I mentioned in the last post. You can get access to those by
    Spoiler:
    using an item on the stone statue man in the Sinner's Rise after Lost Bastille and/or rescuing a Crow NPC later on.
    . Theres a new class of weapon you can find somewhere called the Twinblade that you may or may not like that I think can be accessed from a Pharros Lockstone earlier on.

Bows are really nice as well with access to various NPC merchants that basically make your arrows have whatever element you choose. The AI isn't quite as dumb as it is in Demon's Souls either, making them very satisfying weapons to use! Hope that helps some, though you may just end up picking a Halberd or something. :p
    edited March 2014
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Bows are really nice as well with access to various NPC merchants that basically make your arrows have whatever element you choose. The AI isn't quite as dumb as it is in Demon's Souls either, making them very satisfying weapons to use! Hope that helps some, though you may just end up picking a Halberd or something. :p

Yeah thanks for the tips. Good to know that I'll have more permanent options around the corner. At any rate I'm making do with my longsword and scimitar until then just fine. I did pick up Ricard's Rapier, but didn't like the feel of it at all either. I may try a bit more on some trash mobs just to get a better feel for it.

As far as progress goes, I made it through
    Spoiler:
    Huntsman's Copse
    and finished up the boss there. Took me a few tries, but I finally pulled through with a win.
    Spoiler:
    I basically charged in and killed the 3 magic users as fast as possible before the horde could swarm me. It looks like the horde starts getting summoned after the first sorcerer is killed, with more coming after you kill each one? At any rate, I ignored them as well as I could while quickly rushing at the sorcerers and taking them out. Each only took about 4 hits to kill, so pretty much enough to drain my stamina then use up a quick roll to get out of the way. After those were finished, I dealt with the horde by kiting them around and picking off the little wheel skellies first, since they distanced themselves from the pack. Then I picked off the rest of them by hacking then rolling away before they could gank me
    . Overall, pretty fun/tense battle.

After that I went straight into the poison area, forget what it's called just now. I had some fun with
    Spoiler:
    an area where you get ambushed by about 4 of those dual-wielding scythe bearers. Managed to take them all out and get some nice treasure

That's where I left it for the night.
    edited April 2014
    So I just beat this yesterday. I thought I'd come by and leave some thoughts in this thread, since they're a little more relevant here than in the Completed Games thread.

First up, the story was still pretty nonsensical. I think you really have to get into the lore of the game to start grasping the whole story, which is asking a bit much when a standard playthrough took me about 60 hours. I even made a point to exhaust all NPC dialog options when I could, and I still didn't feel like I came away with a solid semblance of a story. I think spending 60 hours in a game should be enough to be immersed in a well placed story, without having to dig for it.

That aside, we don't really come to Dark Souls for the story, although the atmosphere of the games is admittedly a big part of it. Gameplay wise, I felt like this game did things quite a bit better than Dark Souls. I didn't run into problems with enemies being tedious like I did at the end of Dark Souls. I also liked that enemies would slowly stop spawning as you defeated them a certain number of times. This made boss battle retries much more palatable. Although, let's face it, they could make this game much less frustrating by addressing those problems with bonfire placement. Just because it's Dark Souls doesn't mean it's okay to force people to battle 7 strong knights before an insanely tricky boss battle. I like that the game is hard, but there's a distinct difference between hard and tedious frustration. Luckily, those bad points were spread relatively far, and I feel like they did a good job of bonfire placement for the most part, with none of them being too far away from boss doors.

Frankly, I think one of the things that would improve the Dark Souls franchise would be taking boss battles out of their pre-defined arenas. This would not only make boss battles more organic, but would also give more leeway to players who may not be melee focused. I didn't like it when I was forced to fight bosses against my own terms in, say, Deus Ex: HR, and I don't like it for the same reasons here. I'm kind of mixed on this thought, though, since I know that tight quarters do offer some interesting challenges.

Other notes: Loved fast travel from the start. Loved building up Majula with NPCs. Still loved the weapon/armor upgrade systems. Didn't get into covenants much. As ChickenGod mentions, the platforming elements still suck. I am always conscious of the closest bonfire before attempting any jumps. That's pretty much it.

I really enjoyed this game a lot. I expect to spend more time on it in the future. But for now, I'm onto the next game in the backlog.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah Typho, I pretty much agree with all you have to say about it there.

As for bonfire placement, I've come to accept that the Souls series in general is going to come with segments that the player is just expected to run past. There's some very well placed bonfires for boss retries in this one, but some of the bosses, such as
    Spoiler:
    Duke's Dear Freja
    make you run a fairly long distance just to get back to. These runs are essentially a waste of time, but there's something about speeding past a bunch of foes and making quick drop downs that is kind of fun, at least the first few times you do them.

One of my favorite things about Dark Souls 2 was the addition of all kinds of arrows and making bows more flexible so you could strafe and shoot with them at the same time. Switching to bows felt so seemless, and they didn't take forever to kill a foe if you used the proper element on them. Once I found my character's identity as a Katana/Bow Using Ninja type (with explosive bombs using Chaos Storm :p), the game was just so fun to slay just about everything in your path.
    edited April 2014
    Finished this up a few days ago and really enjoyed the game. The co-op stuff was a blast this time around and I really liked helping out in boss fights. I'm currently using bonfire aesetics to farm twinkling titanite for my gear and trying to get all of the spells that I want before heading into NG+.
  • TheLegendaryZoltanTheLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited August 2014
    OK. I've played through the game 2.5 times now so that I could get the platinum (because I have a problem ^_~) and here is what I think about it.

It sucks.

I'll be honest. I'm the most sensitive person to atmosphere in game that I know. Devil May Cry is an awesome game and I'm glad I played it. But because it is set in a dark underworld, I don't ever want to play it again. It takes something special for a dark zombie-filled game like Dark Souls to get me to like it. That something was there with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I. It is gone for me now. The environments and bosses just don't seem as cool to me. I think all the changes to character builds and mechanics were good. Aesthetically, though, I can't handle it.

You'd think that I'd greatly favor gameplay over graphics and such but I guess I'm just shallow. Hahaha.
    Like JRPGs?
    Want to hear a JRPG podcast that actually has a unique format?
    Check out Turn Based Memories!