If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

[Demo][RPG] Legena : Union Tides

King_TetiroKing_Tetiro MemberFull Members
edited October 2014 in Role Playing Games
Please Support Our KickStarter!

Red_Sector_Break.png

Legena_UT_Screenshot_052.png
Legena_UT_Screenshot_045.pngLegena_UT_Screenshot_046.png

Click here to see the screenshot gallery

Green_Sector_Break.png

Description

Legena: noun: A legend that spans an era: the legend of the Narrator

Have you seen the red sky? And the green lightning? Rumour has it that whenever the sky turns red and the land is struck by green, the Narrator appears. A time traveller I hear. You best be a good boy. You best be a good girl. Otherwise the legena will come true. The Narrator will get you.

Legena: Union Tides is a turn-based role playing game for currently Windows, Android, GameStick and OUYA (other platforms pending). Take the role of Tetiro Aceus and Atesan Turwin to explore the open seas, stop the pirate lords and discover the other side of the Legena universe. And how their roles turn the gears of a legena that spans countless eras.

Legena features a traditional JRPG combat system with a dynamic turn system, a variety of exciting characters, threatening villains and unique dungeons, along with new features including the weather which effects the battles, feathers that equip heroes with a variety of skills and a morale feature that rewards moral choices. And for those wanting a challenge, the difficulty grid waits to allow anyone from beginners to pros to play the game. Choose your difficulty and power on through!

Red_Sector_Break.png

History

Legena is being developed by a group of three people. There is Greg who does our sound effects, SkittleGirl Sound who has provided our entire 16-Bit soundtrack and me, the programmer, artist and designer.

Legena started out as a 8-Bit inspired prototype which I developed during university for Android. A few years later I decided to return to the series knowing I could have done better. And thus the Legena series was reborn as a trilogy. While the prototype was developed using Game Maker 8, I have decided to use Game Maker Studio as it will allow me to port the series to the GameStick, Android, OUYA and many other platforms!

Green_Sector_Break.png

Characters

Over the course of the game, you will control a variety of characters. Each with a story. And each with a past.

Tetiro Aceus : The king of Orenna. Living a sheltered life with his father, it took leaving his country to see the world in a new way and to bring Orenna into a new golden era. He is now travelling to Dynol and Vesira to bring peace in the name of Orenna. However he is obsessed with the Narrator. Meeting him during his rise to power, he pursues the Narrator frantically to take him down. He is becoming a lot like his father.

Atesan Turwin : The king's advisor. During the reign of King Uritan, Atesan led a rough life being hunted like an animal. He was an outcast. Suffering years of torture, punishment and humiliation, Atesan became distant with other people. He rarely trusts people and originally despised Tetiro Aceus. Over the last few years, the scars Atesan gained have started to heal. With the mental scars disappearing, he now wears the physical scars with pride.

Nathaar Curi : One of the Pirate Lords. Being stranded at Marin Port, Nathaar and his best mate Martic planned to steal a ship and sail to Dynol to get revenge on the man who stole their ship. Cocky, arrogant and ruthless, he doesn't seem the type to take pity on people. Especially those who are far weaker than him. There may be more to him than meets the eye. Very few pirates in Dynol have a sense of kindness in them.

Martic Razmi : Nathaar's best mate. Being his second in command, Nathaar trusts Martic and seeks his guidance in their plunders and crimes. With his quick wit and his channel cannons, there is no situation that Martic can't get out of. He keeps his cool and powers through. Though with his wit and calm personality comes a gleam in his eye. He has a plan to make Nathaar and himself the greatest duo of pirates the world has ever seen.

Malina Petafin : An old friend of Tetiro Aceus and Atesan Turwin. After helping them on their adventure to overthrow King Uritan, Malina has now set out to Dynol to find new adventures with guarantees from a source that there is a crime lord worthy of a huge bounty. And with her obsession for being a heroine, she set out to the land of Dynol to make a heroine of herself. But she finds more than she can take.

Lenaki : Not much is known about Lenaki. In fact, she doesn't know much about herself. Waking up at the Red Shore, she has a lot to work out. Why is she different? Why is she a toy reptile? Perhaps she will be enlightened by these answers. Or perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Red_Sector_Break.png

Downloads

Below is the demo of the game. You have access to everything up until the first boss. The demo is still in progress as a good number of the sound effects aren't implemented yet. And please note it is intended to be a 15+ game. So please respect the age rating.

Demo (Psst, press F1 for the full screen)

Please show your support!

Happy Gaming! Follow us on Twitter (@Grandpa_Pixel) or Facebook (Grandpa Pixel)

Green_Sector_Break.png

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Oh so there is your project, seems you can finally create threads. :-)

I must say, I really really like the art style! It looks like a mix of the two art styles of my two favorite indie pixel artists (White Owl and KF Harlock). Also I'm glad that you are using a font I actually like.
    If the gameplay is right, it's certainly a game I'd buy if released.

I haven't played the demo yet, I usually don't play demos but since you asked for feedback I'll try to convince myself to do some QA testing.
  • King_TetiroKing_Tetiro Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Oh so there is your project, seems you can finally create threads. :-)

I must say, I really really like the art style! It looks like a mix of the two art styles of my two favorite indie pixel artists (White Owl and KF Harlock). Also I'm glad that you are using a font I actually like.
    If the gameplay is right, it's certainly a game I'd buy if released.

I haven't played the demo yet, I usually don't play demos but since you asked for feedback I'll try to convince myself to do some QA testing.

Yup! I can now create threads! :D

I'm glad you like the art style! I have fun spriting and it is good to hear that it is well received! With the fonts, I felt only one colour would make it bland and unreadable. So I decided to give a black lining to give depth and readability. Does the trick!

Well I based the gameplay on standard turn based gameplay from my favourite generation, the 16-Bit generation! Where I felt JRPGs were done right! With a few new ideas too.

I'd appreciate all feedback! Constructive is preferred :D
    edited March 2014
    Unfortunately I can't run the demo at all. It says that it's not a valid Win32 application. I'm using Windows Vista 32bit.
    edited March 2014
    Unfortunately I can't run the demo at all. It says that it's not a valid Win32 application. I'm using Windows Vista 32bit.

Argh! I thought I fixed that? I will try to find a solution for you :)
    edited March 2014
    Ok, I have sent you a PM Rya as I'll need your help to know if the solution worked.

In other news, I am getting closer to the KickStarter campaign. All but 1 sound effect is done and implemented and I have found a concept artist that matched my expectations!

In the mean time, I've been working on more areas. I have already tiled the next dungeon!
    edited March 2014
    Hi, the new file you've sent me via PM works fine. :-)

I already have two suggestions:
    - Please add gamepad support (at the very least XBox Controller)
    - Allow to remap keys or at least auto re-map depending on country

The Z key is at a "bad" position in my country, so it's kind of annoying to play like this. For me it would be the Y key what is the Z key in US/UK.
    edited March 2014
    Hi, the new file you've sent me via PM works fine. :-)

I already have two suggestions:
    - Please add gamepad support (at the very least XBox Controller)
    - Allow to remap keys or at least auto re-map depending on country

The Z key is at a "bad" position in my country, so it's kind of annoying to play like this. For me it would be the Y key what is the Z key in US/UK.

Woohoo! That's good to hear! And that sounds like a good idea. I already have the support for gamepad on the OUYA version, so providing gamepad support for the PC version shouldn't be a problem. I'll add that to the list as well as the remapping keys.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    You will probably find this exceedingly helpful when programming which key does what:

Attachment not found.
    edited March 2014
    I wonder how other games do it because often in games when I press "Y" on my keyboard it actually works even though it says "Z". It seems to work automatically.
    Mine is "QWERTZ" by the way.

Wondering if I should wait until gamepad or different keyboard set is supported. As said it's kind of annoying with the Z key being all up there in the middle.
    edited March 2014
    I wonder how other games do it because often in games when I press "Y" on my keyboard it actually works even though it says "Z". It seems to work automatically.
    Mine is "QWERTZ" by the way.

Wondering if I should wait until gamepad or different keyboard set is supported. As said it's kind of annoying with the Z key being all up there in the middle.

I think it would be best to wait. I have a few design things to figure out. Like for example the Loading screen. Seems pointless to fully illustrate the keys if I will allow mapping. So that would have to be redone.

Your suggestion and the proof Paws provided has made me certain to address this. So what I will do is spend all week fixing this criticism. :)

But what you are asking for is 100% do-able and I can confirm it :)
    edited March 2014
    Okay no problem, then I'll wait. :-)
    edited March 2014
    Okay no problem, then I'll wait. :-)

The main thing will be the gamepad. Keyboard mapping will be easy as all it is is player input and storing the variables. Providing I get help from the SDK community on the gamepad support (efficiency wise), it will be smooth sailing from there :)

EDIT: It may be sooner than expected. You will be happy to know that the keyboard mapping is going very well and I feel confident that with a bit of tweaking you will see a non-QWERTY friendly game very soon

EDIT 2: Mapping has been very successful! I can guarantee a new version within the next few days no problem :)
    edited March 2014
    Righty ho! I have updated the download links! The game should have custom mapping options now! Enjoy Ryu! (Ryu, you can use the installer download link I sent you last time to download again :) )

I have had a good day of programming! Shame I couldn't get the gamepad to work :(
    edited March 2014
    Okay, seems to work apart from the fact that you if you try to switch the input type from keyboard to something else the game crashes. =p

I guess I'll go on with testing the game. :-)

Should I post feedback here or send it to you via PM?

It's Rya by the way, not Ryu like "Dragon" but rather Rya like "Read Your Admin". ;-)
    edited March 2014
    Okay, seems to work apart from the fact that you if you try to switch the input type from keyboard to something else the game crashes. =p

I guess I'll go on with testing the game. :-)

Should I post feedback here or send it to you via PM?

It's Rya by the way, not Ryu like "Dragon" but rather Rya like "Read Your Admin". ;-)

Haha could you send me a pic of the game crashing? I'd be very curious to see this. On my end it just switches then switches back :P (PM will do) EDIT: Found the error. Will be fixed!

Awesome! Feedback both here and via PM would be nice
    edited March 2014
    Hi Jeremy,

Have to post here because there is a character limit for PMs which I exceeded.

I QA tested the demo of your game now. Please don't be discouraged by it, I'm just very thorough when QA testing. Your game is already pretty fun and has a lot of potential. The art and the music is great and the story is really good so far in keeping me interested. I also found several of the gameplay elements interesting as in how encounters work (I've never seen on-screen encounters respawn like this, nice idea, though maybe it could be 5 seconds longer until respawn).

Anyway here is my feedback:

- at the introduction when the blindfolded dude talks with the other dude, when the other guy talks there is no portrait and no name label at all, it feels like the blindfolded dude is still talking, no portrait is fine but in situation like this I'd go for a name label like "Man" or "Woman" or "???", so it is clear that someone else is now talking

- "you have got fat" <-- well my English isn't perfect but shouldn't it be "gotten"?

- you have that black blurry stuff at the edge of a map, which is a nice idea (though I found it could look a bit better, right now the beginning of it looks like dice with number 4 put next to each other if you know what I mean), but when you have a scene where an NPC moves on it, you should just remove the sprite, this looks weird! a very good idea would be to slowly fade the sprite to "grey" (while walking onto the black edge) only leaving the contours and only then removing the sprite, not sure if you know what I mean but it's been done in other games, this would make an NPC leaving the map look a lot better - you might even want to consider playing some kind of "leaving map" sound here, y'know like some games play a sound when you walk on stairs? I thought it would fit into the spirit of the game but that's pretty optional

- I found that you often put words into the same sentence that should be separated by comma or even a dot for example "Correct it's Marin Port." should be more like "Correct. It's Marin Port." or "Correct, it's Marin Port." and "Wait that is beside the point." should be "Wait, that is beside the point.", reading works a lot better if you have a comma at points where the person actually would take a small break when talking

- there is a small water "hole" at the beginning of the first town, if you stand north of it your feet seem to be halfway on the wall going down already (especially your shadow), this looks a bit weird, I think there should maybe be two more pixels rows of the floor instead?

- you can walk ontop of NPCs - might be a design decision but I thought it was strange, also when talking you don't need to face the NPC which is an ok idea, but I'm worried about what will happen when there is an NPC and a treasure or two NPCs in the same place... how will you detect whether the player wanted to take the treasure or talk to the NPC? you need to make it so that whatever is in the direction you are facing into takes priority

- on the save screen, the bottom part seems to be a bit cut off, that's because there is no "blue" there - you should put a blue border of the same size you have on the right side of the screen, same border size on all sides is best to make it look good for the human eye

- the game gives you tons of debug items and you have all party members available - I don't think this is a good idea, it ruins testing and makes testing balance impossible, from the very start you should design the game how it will be in the final phase because that helps you seeing balance problems early on - I understand that you might want to rush through for easy testing, but please solve this with a switch that just allows you to auto-win battles or something, keep the items and party members "official" so that at any time you can switch back to normal gameplay

- the game should remember the full screen setting, if someone closes it while in full screen it should automatically start in full screen the next time

- when I reloaded a save state (I did so in town to test), I was in a completely different building and place than I had saved in, I didn't even visit that building before

- your menu handling, while it looks good, is horrible in terms of usability, this is probably the biggest flaw of the game right now - first of all, you can only see 3 items at once, there is a lot room to show much more, it makes scrolling through them really tedious, player will want to find the item they need immediately and now have to scroll through long items lists, there isn't even a scroll bar indicating how far you have already scrolled down - I strongly suggest changing how this works, made a separate label somewhere at the top/bottom that shows the effect of the currently selected item so you only need one line per item, consider making two or three item columns that you can get even more on one screen, there should be at least 20 items visible at the same time, show a scroll bar for sure, if there are more items that can be shown in one screen, player can at least then remember the position of the scroll bar for the item they are looking for and faster scroll down until they find it, add buttons for page down and page up too

- additional to showing more items, you should also show more info in the menus, especially for equips in both shops and your inventory - what you need here is tell the player who in your party can equip the selected item and how it would change their stats - try to get it all in one screen; many indie RPGs lack this which makes buying and equipping stuff really tedious, and as said above, show more than 3 at once, though for shops this is not as critical as they will hopefully not carry more than 10 items total

- I noticed that you have "choices" in the game, however you will do the choice for different characters each - while it doesn't bother me at all, I know some people who will dislike this because it ruins immersion for them, they want to role-play one character and not all at the same time, but I'd be fine if you left it like this - it's a design decision, just telling you the risk

- in the ship, Atesan is standing on a barrel, that looks strange

- when going through the ship at first it looks completely empty but then the screen "fades" and suddenly two pirate NPCs are next to you, this looks strange, where did they suddenly come from? there were none seen anywhere near you! maybe it would be better if the NPC sprites would be there and then walk around the corner or something? also on the map you only see two pirates but you end up fighting 3 of them, man those pirates are coming out of thin air

- the feather menu seems to be completely bugged, each time I checked it, it looked completely different, sometimes it didn't show any feather slots at all, just a cursor on an empty blue screen, then I had 3 feathers, later Tetiro had 1 light feather and no slots while Atesan had 3 feathers and 10 slots, it also seems to affect the spells in some battles I had no spells in other I had spells, huh? I assume feathers are what are granting you spells (lacks explanation)?

- there was something looking like a sword in the ship, when I walked ontop of it a sound played and it disappeared - what does it do? please explain it ingame

- the first "stairs up" inside the ship don't look like stairs up to the next floor at all, it looks like stairs up leading to the floor north of it surrounded by barrels, so basically a dead end I wouldn't have expected them to suddenly teleport me to the upper levels

- when leaving the ship, it looks way too small, it's strange after walking through the big core of the ship that when you are outside barely 8 NPCs could even stand there

- Martic tells you he will be helpful because of his fire spells, but when you decide to fight with him, he will have no fire spells at all - probably related to the feather menu bug?

- you see 4 tentacle sprites on screen but in battle you only fight 3 tentacles, also the tentacles are ontop of the ship which is a bit weird, but I guess still acceptable. If you had a bigger ship you could actually show even before the battle screen that those tentacles drilled through the ship and you are actually fighting those.

Finally, some words on the balance: I tried to not use any debug items and chose the default difficulty - what I noticed is that the growth is not curvy enough - your stat growth is too high at early levels, you should try to make the growth more exponential as in starting very slow and getting higher the higher your stats are, so maybe gain 3 HP on a level up at first and towards the end 90 HP and not going from 25->37->48->59 but rather something like 25->28->32->37 for example. This makes balancing the game much easier. The combat right now is pretty boring - the pirates are only really challenging when at level 1. Afterwards you totally overpower them. Also there are different pirate sprites, but they all seems to be the same. You lack strategy and interesting aspects here. Make pirates act differently in combat, make it important to attack a certain type of pirate first (maybe you have one that goes down in one blow but deals 2 HP damage and others that need two hits to go down but do only 1 HP damage; or make use of character elements by making one pirate type weak to Atesan and the other type weak to Tetiro). Level scaling as described above is important so that it doesn't get ridiculously easy once you reach level 2. The tentacle boss on the other hand is now much stronger than the pirates and even at level 4 takes a while to defeat. But again - it's not interesting. It's just a lot of HP and DEF and that's basically it. The tentacles don't deal significant damage, the different tentacles don't act differently. It's all the same. There is quite a lot of work to do here - make battles interesting, make tactic important, balance difficultly, make it surviving a challenge. Also while the difficulty sliders are a nice idea you might not actually want to outright double or half the damage - try to balance your game so perfectly on normal that even just 30% more or 30% less damage is a significant change. Half/Double gold is fine as it usually just changed the amount of grinding needed and doesn't have a too strong effect on combat. The last option is a bit complicated - new players won't even know what this option means, you need to add some explanation here.

That's all. :-)

Basically the game design has some great ideas and the game has a very high potential but you need to work quite a bit on it, especially on the menu handling and battle balance.
    edited March 2014
    Wow that is very thorough! I best address it all

you have got fat -> gotten fat <- This has been fixed
    Adjust the names of the first scene <- This has been fixed
    Correct, it's Marin Port. <- This has been fixed
    Wait, that is beside the point. <- This has been fixed
    Allow for preset Full Screen setting <- This has been fixed. The game will now start upon the last screen setting you had.
    Fix the save state for room location <- This has been fixed
    Before the first battle scene, have the NPCs appear automatically <- This has been fixed
    Explain the Valor Marks upon collection (aka the swords) <- This has been fixed!
    Make the stairs more noticeable <- This has been fixed. What you state here could be applied to any transition which isn't a house. Therefore I have created an object that floats around an area-to-area sector. Thus making the stairs more noticeable as well as other areas
    Check Martic's feather collection <- No need for a fix. This was caused by another bug.
    Adjust the difficulty grid <- Mostly fixed. The last option would be better with words than CP/SP. The first option relates to the enemies so that will be a Work In Progress
    Improve the Black fading
    Better NPC disappearing/appearing <- This has been fixed!
    I will work on this ASAP. Consider this a no-questions asked guarantee

Work on the NPC action direction (so it is easier to talk to NPCs) <- This has been fixed! You now have to face the NPC to talk to them
    Originally was planned to leave as but you make the second person to notice this so this shall be changed.

Improve the Save Screen <-This has been fixed! Though I am going to tweak this even more!
    I will work on this. Could you provide an illustration on how to improve?

Changing the Item Viewing to allow more items on-screen. And show a scroll bar <- This has been fixed
    Equipment Shopping should be refined <- This has been fixed
    Make an actual development curve for enemies and characters <- Thanks to your help Rya, this has been fixed!
    Now this one may be tough. I will do everything I can to fix this. Please don't expect a miracle but I will do my best

Move Atesan off the barrel in scene
    He's actually sitting on it :P

Make the enemies more challenging <- Thanks to your help Rya, this has been fixed!
    Funny thing is they do have AI to them. It looks like however I made them too easy. For instance, the pirate in the Purple shirt has magical properties. I will investigate AI in successful games to try and fix. I have at this point in time made their abilities more frequent and their potency more powerful. I will test this tonight. Please await results

Bugged Feather system <- I think this has been fixed
    In the town water hole, there is graphics issues
    Could you send me a picture displaying the bugs? I need to know to fix

Change the perspective when it comes to choices to one-character only. <- This has been fixed!
    This is the only negative feedback I am very hesitant to change. I say this because the game doesn't have a main protagonist but two. And the essence of the story is seeing the story of the entire team's perspective and not just one person's. This was something I always had problems with in RPGs. For instance, why was it that Cloud Strife in Final Fantasy 7 HAD to be the leader? It could have been someone else in his team and the story would have still made sense. In this story, all the protagonists are equal. There may be two main protagonists, but only by name and nothing else.

EDIT : I shall use this post as a checklist. That way you can see which problems have been fixed in preparation of the next version

Thanks for doing this Rya. It is easy for a person to say a game is good or bad. But it's harder to tell me how to improve. I highly appreciate the feedback as some of it I would have not been able to pick apart like you have! You are 100% correct about the development curve. I need to relearn maths to conquer this as what you have suggested will require an actual curve. Perhaps I can discuss this with you via PM?
    edited March 2014
    I know that coding a proper item menu isn't that easy, but the way it currently is is simply pretty bad. People already criticized Mass Effect 1 for it's horrible item system, but showing just 3 items on one screen with no scroll bar while having to browse through 20+ different items will put off many people. It's nothing you need to do immediately, just take your time and make sure it's got a good usability on release.

Coding a growth curve is simple math, though. It isn't that hard.
    Improve the Save Screen
    I will work on this. Could you provide an illustration on how to improve?
    You don't make it easy for your testers, huh?
    But okay, I drew something for you.
    I also made some screenshots about the bugged feather system.

Can you maybe PM me with your Skype ID if you have Skype? Because it's easier to send you pictures like that rather than having to upload them all.
    This is the only negative feedback I am very hesitant to change. I say this because the game doesn't have a main protagonist but two. And the essence of the story is seeing the story of the entire team's perspective and not just one person's. This was something I always had problems with in RPGs. For instance, why was it that Cloud Strife in Final Fantasy 7 HAD to be the leader? It could have been someone else in his team and the story would have still made sense. In this story, all the protagonists are equal. There may be two main protagonists, but only by name and nothing else.
    Maybe FFVII is a bad counter example because Cloud was really the leader there and the few Yes/No choices the game has were all from Cloud's perspective as far as I know.
    FFVI maybe be a better example as it really has changing perspectives. But the narration in this game is really good. Just by how the story is told and the pictures are shown you actually know if you are now playing as Terra or Locke or someone else.

In your game, it's kind of sudden. I just decided what Tetiro should say to Atesan and the next minute I suddenly select what Atesan says to Tetiro. It's confusing. Instead of dropping the system - you should keep it if you like it no matter what others say - try to at least make it more visible who is doing the choice. Like for example always showing the portrait of the character doing the choice or incorporating it into the dialogue like always mentioning the character by name who will make the next decision (as in "What do you think, Atesan?").
    Work on the NPC action direction (so it is easier to talk to NPCs)
    Originally was planned to leave as but you make the second person to notice this so this shall be changed.
    As said you can keep the system if you like it, but you need to find some way to solve the "multiple objects in range" issue. Like object in facing direction taking priority or maybe you should show the ! not above your character but above the targeted object and make it so it's possible to toggle target by pressing cancel?
    edited March 2014
    I will be sure to work on the Item menu system! It isn't so bad in the Battles because the items are sorted into Medicine and Items so it halves the quantity. But it is still bad. Don't worry, I will redesign this. You're not asking for a miracle so it can be done. Just don't expect it in the next version ok? ;)

I was pretty bad at math curves. Do you know any good tutorials? It would be great to solve this because along with giving characters unique learning curves, it would also allow me to reduce the save file size as there wouldn't need to store the specific stat values. (Excluding current HP,CP, etc)

I know. I just couldn't understand what you suggested for the Save Menu. It's a learning disability thing. Sometimes I will just fall flat on my face and fail to understand.

I did mean VI. It's been a long week :P
    And that isn't a bad idea Rya. And it's easily do-able. Tell you what, move that one up to the No-Questions asked section. I should be able to incorporate that easily. That's a 2-hour job tops!

As for the NPC thing, I think your idea will be better. I have always designed the game to keep NPCs away from one another. That's the truth. It's a shame I carry :P
    I will conquer it tomorrow!

Right, time for bookkeeping. I will be online in 4 hours where I will do more! @:)
    edited March 2014
    So no Skype then?

As for math curves, if you actually do the code yourself (not sure how much you are actually coding), you don't even have to think a lot about it, because you could just calculate a percentage of your current stats and add it. Y'know like "maxhp = maxhp + (maxhp*0.05) + offset" which would give you a 5% HP increase plus an offset (depending on character).
    Edit: If that's too expontential for you, a common tactic is also to use level as an HP increase like "maxhp = maxhp + level + offset".

This strongly depends on how you want your character growth to be like, though. I'm actually doing some research myself for algorithms that have seemingly random stat growth that always still ends up balanced for example. I have already developed quite many and am very familiar with pretty much anything here.

You know there are so many different possible systems:

1. Character growth by table - that means you create a big table (usually CSV file) that contains all the character stats at each level. This is probably hardest to do but what's cool about this is that the growth is fully controllable and not predictable while being 100% balancable. If you are doing this I could simply create CSV files for you (because it's really easier for me to do this than explaining it - but really install OpenOffice if you haven't done so yet, spreadsheets are useful in so many ways if you do games).

2. Fixed growth by code on each level up - as above, on level up you calculate new stats based on old stats (which can be percentual as above but also just hp = hp + 1). That's pretty simple, you just need to decide on how the stats should start and how they should end and then think of a proper formula (which can also be tested with spreadsheets, man they make life so easy).

3. Random growth - that means on each level up you somehow retrieve a random number which will be added to the stat. This is the most complex system because you will not only simply want to do 1-8 HP growth per level, you will want the chance to get a better growth on the next level higher if the previous growth was bad and so on. You also will want the growth to scale up eventually so later it's 2-16 HP or something. Also using "dice systems" to calculate the growth is a good idea here, because it's better to throw two 6-sided dice to determine growth rather than saying 2-12 HP per level. Why? Because with two dice the chance to get a 7 is higher than getting a 2 or 12. Depending on what you want, I can give different suggestions here.
    edited March 2014
    Yes sorry! It's been a rough night! Had a terrible trip back! PM'ing you my Skype details :)

I can explain my Level Growth there :)

Fixed the NPC facing thing btw :)
    edited April 2014
    Update Time!

What have I been doing? Well a lot of things. Personal, Work-Related and Game Development. Getting very close to the KickStarter too. I updated the demo today! Thanks to a helpful member here (Rya), I was pointed to potential pitfalls in the game and have rectified them. And as a whole, it has made the experience better!

-Grammer and Textbox fixes
    -Better NPC destroying. They now fade away
    -NPC interaction requires you to face them
    -Save Screen adjustment
    -Mass Overhaul of Item Menus
    -Debug Items removed
    -Choices will now make more sense
    -Game Balancing. Now you get a tougher challenge
    -And more!

So what's left before the KickStarter? 2 pieces of Concept Art. That's it. After that, a domino effect will occur and by the end of that week, the campaign will be submitted. I hope it goes well. I have a lot of stories to tell.

So this is it. The last stretch before the campaign. Hit me with all you got! As this will be the last time before the campaign.

(Rya, I hope I did you proud with the new difficulty and character-development
    edited April 2014
    (Rya, I hope I did you proud with the new difficulty and character-development
    It will be hard to tell just from a demo if the overall character-development curve is good. I guess I'll see in 2015. =p

Is the installer updated as well? Might check it out again.
    edited April 2014
    It will be hard to tell just from a demo if the overall character-development curve is good. I guess I'll see in 2015. =p

Is the installer updated as well? Might check it out again.

Hopefully I have! =P
    I updated the installer just for you :)
    edited April 2014
    -NPC interaction requires you to face them
    If you do this you should also make them not walkable on because otherwise it might get hard to talk to them at all.
    As stated before I didn't really dislike the previous system except that it was not clear who or what you will interact with.
    Also considering that you want to release the game on mobile devices as well, maybe on iOS - with the touch screen it's actually significantly harder to face an NPC properly before he runs away - I would take that in mind too.

By the way, is it intentional that you can't change the difficulty setting mid-game?

If possible I'd like to have the ability to change the key settings mid-game, players will usually not know what is conformtable to them before playing and then it sucks if you first have to find a save point just to be able to switch back to the main menu. Why did you put the menu button on "Q" anyway? Isn't "C" a better default?
    edited June 2014
    Hey everyone!

I am happy to announce the KickStarter has gone live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/971843557/legena-union-tides

Please show your support! We're trying to raise £5,000 to make the game as awesome as we can!

Spread the word! And help us make this a great game!
    edited July 2014
    Good luck!
    edited August 2014
    Hey guys! It has been a long time. Why has it been a long time? You will find out in this comment.

So the KickStarter failed. Not to worry, the feedback provided was enough to make the changes to ensure we meet the next KickStarter!

So what have I been up to lately? The graphics look better don't they? Well the major feedback was the graphics. So we had a big graphical upgrade and now the game really looks like it came from the 16-Bit era. Try the demo out! You won't regret it!
    edited August 2014
    Well the major feedback was the graphics.
    That's weird, I thought the graphics were great before already. They are still great now too, though. :-)

(My main concern is still the battle balance and lack of strategy in them. Nobody else said something about that? I guess I'll give up. =p)
    edited August 2014
    That's weird, I thought the graphics were great before already. They are still great now too, though. :-)

(My main concern is still the battle balance and lack of strategy in them. Nobody else said something about that? I guess I'll give up. =p)

I am still working on the battle balance. But no-one else has mentioned the lack of strategy. It is weird. I guess you are just too good for the game? :P