If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

A Year of One Hit Wonders -April - The Last Story

redwing42redwing42 Just MonikaFull Members
edited May 2014 in Role Playing Games
No April Fools joke this year. For the month of April, we will be playing The Last Story on the Wii. There is quite the backstory to this game, from the all star cast working on it, to the campaign to bring it to North America, to the fact that it isn't actually a Final Fantasy even though the title is a full synonym for it. As for the game itself, it follows the story of the main character Zael, and the band of mercenaries he associates with. The world around them is collapsing, and they converge upon Lazulis Island as a final stronghold against the land's decay. In standard fashion, they get caught up in a world ending/saving mega plot. The combat is real time, with up to six party members at a time. The player controls one character, but can issue orders to others. There is a bit of shooter action as well, as the player can enter into a targeting mode and there is a cover mechanic as well. This was essentially the swan song of the Nintendo Wii, so I hope everyone has a chance to join in and experience it.

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I beat this last year when (well technically before; thank you softmod) it came out and it was a pretty fun game but not great enough to warrant a second playthrough so soon with such a massive backlog. I do advise that you should play with the pro because control feels more natural. I love the voice actors and although some of the mechanics are a bit stiff, the gameplay is good.

One interesting thing is that a couple "chapters" are miss-able IIRC. Either that or you can just pass by them and go back to them way later.
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I acquired a Wii last year. I haven't played a whole lot of games for it, and this seemed readily available, so I picked it up. I didn't know anything about it going into it other than what's on the cover, but I do have a couple of (very) early observations:

- A proper aggro mechanic in a game like this is a great hook for me.
    - Syrenne is 100% my type.
    Rise!
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited April 2014
    The game is really good, but I never finished it. I found it was lacking a bit of balance, some battles were totally easy and some battles were so ridiculously hard than I needed several tries to survive them. Also leveling has a huge impact on your power, a monster just a few levels above you can already wipe you out in one or two attacks. I found this particularly annoying with secret dungeons that were just too hard if you found them too early.

Also in town you have to run against signs with your head and trip on oranges to get bonus rewards. =D
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited April 2014
    As I said before, I do want to finish Baten Kaitos before I replay this game. I will join in with you all no later than next week.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I just beat this game late last year so I'll be doing a New Game+ run. Probably will start it this weekend.

I also found, like Rya, the game's battles to be pretty unbalanced. Doing the sidequests/missable chapters helps with some of the leveling issues.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Really in this game you are actually playing the tank.
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Yeah. What I wouldn't give for a button like this in Final Fantasy XII. At least one I don't have to recast constantly.
    Rise!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2014
    Started the game up, and have done all optional stuff up to my current location. I made it to the Bandit Warehouse, and dear god do I feel powerful. Already level 13, and I can wipe the floor with enemies, even after they become strong in the summoning circles (thank you Gale). I'm loving the controls on the classic controller, and I do enjoy how more tactical based this game is when compared with other ARPGs. This feels like how Fire Emblem would play if it ever had an ARPG spin-off, at least to me anyway.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Finally got started on this one tonight. Not even an hour in yet, but seems interesting enough. A bit of British VA culture shock, but I'm looking forward to getting deeper into it.
    edited April 2014
    smacd wrote: »
    I just got to chapter 13. The last boss I fought was telling me to do something like disperse a spell circle or something, but I don't recall ever seeing anything in game about how to do that. So despite being probably overleveled at lv19, the boss was still pretty challenging and took me two tries cause I just couldn't figure out the disperse thingy.
    I'm not at that part yet, but it sounds like you needed to use Gale. If you're using a classic controller, hold A in battle once the gauge under your health bar is at max, then you'll get a bird's eye view of the area. Move the curser around and press A at where you want to attack at, and if there's a spell circle there it will disperse it and give some kind of helpful ability or debuff. For example, Cure will heal the party for a large amount of HP when dispersed, Frost gives Chill to enemies, etc.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    I am going to try and start this one after my exams are over. I'm also in the middle of too many games, but I *do* want to participate. Hopefully I can start when exams are over next week!
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, it's a very useful technique that I can't imagine going through the game without.
  • RockkoRockko Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I still need to finish this one, I think I'm at the end. Gonna fire it back up this weekend and get back into it.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited April 2014
    Made it up to Chapter 11, and I love the addition of the luring strategy. See a lone enemy? Hit them with an arrow while behind cover and get out of seek mode quickly. They'll come looking for you in confusion. Slash them while they have Alone over their head, and you get more experience out of the deal. Made several battles that looked like they could get messy real easy. Also, looks like the level cap for Chapter 11 is 18, because the party can't get much out of the summoning circle anymore. I've upgraded everybody's weapons to +5 and all their armor to +3, so the party is well equipped to wipe all that oppose me. Next time I play I'll see how far I can get, considering the game has thrown a few curveballs my way, and already played with and dashed my hopes of knowing who the villain was before Chapter 9.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I enjoyed the game a lot, especially the characters.

A tip for the last battle: if it seems too difficult, simply grind in the circle just before until the xp returns have diminished significantly (it will be obvious and doesn't take long). At that point you'll have a pretty easy fight.
    edited April 2014
    Made it all the way to Chapter 19, and a lot of things have gone on storywise, including Yurick getting his ultimate weapon so early. While it's not at full power yet due to upgrading, it's still the most powerful weapon he can equip, so he's wrecking enemies left and right. In terms of story though,
    Spoiler:
    Dagran is setting off my "about to go evil" meter off. Between activating several death flags and not being killed by what I assume is the final boss despite seeming like he could easily be killed by him, I foresee betrayal from him in the future
    . Party is level 24 across the board (for who I could get it on), and everybody's weapons are at least at +3. Still wondering what the point of the armors is though, they seem to have no real difference as of right now.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited April 2014
    Made it all the way to the start of Chapter 23 in the game, and things are progressing in a way that I figured would happen. It's slightly predictable story, but it's still good to me. I've made the legendary Dragon Armor set (which while godly I keep off of Zael simply because I cannot see his facial response to things) and have +6'd those, the Knight Attire, and all of the current equipment for the team. Weapons are also maxed out save for the few I keep having Zael rotate through, all of which require a specific material that will most likely throw them into godhood territory.

By the way, while I say Chapter 23, it's more like Chapter 25 due to how the optional chapters work. I don't have much farther to go in the game I don't think, hopefully I'll finish it off during the weekend. Levels are 35 across the board, btw.
    edited April 2014
    I'm at the beginning of Chapter 36, right in the safe zone with the civilians. My crew is level 48 across the board, and I've gotten the ultimate equipment (from what I can tell) equipped on as many people as I can. The story is definitely reaching its climax, and I can already tell who the final boss is and what the finale is going to be. I had a feeling before, but I can already tell my hunch was completely right. Most likely
    Spoiler:
    Dagran
    will end up being the final boss of this game. Tomorrow I plan to finish this off.

EDIT: Gotten to the Epilogue, and I was correct. What a hard boss fight he was too. Currently at the start of optional chapter 42, with Zael level 69, and most of the weapon and armor types at their maximum amount for this playthrough. I plan on maxing out as much as possible before a NG+, which I may or may not attempt.
    edited April 2014
    Just finished the game, and what a finale it was. I definitely see myself coming back to this often in the future. For those who don't have it...play it, it's definitely worthy of the title of "classic" being plastered on it in the future.
    edited April 2014
    After dawdling for most of the month, I started the game yesterday, ending on chapter 11. It's a new game+, and interestingly, while the regular fights are a breeze bosses scale with your characters, as do the enemies that come out of the summon circles. It took a couple of minutes to re-familiarize myself with the battle system. It seems that I'll have to look into the settings the TV in the living room is on, as this game looks much darker on it than it does on my newer but smaller HD LED TV in my bedroom. Even if it's only been maybe half-a-year since I last played, I'm still getting a kick out of the character interaction and the variety of accents.

Edit - Made it to chapter 15, just about to start 16. I found it amusing that I actually played through 15 before 14.It's odd how these chapters work. I even somehow missed a chapter during my first playthrough, even though it should have happened automatically (I can't quit remember the number right now, though). The mystic spider boss gave me quite a bit of trouble this time around, though using Gathering more effectively helped greatly (stopped it from picking on Yurick and Mirania).
    Bravely second...

• redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I haven't played as much as I would like, between holiday travel and the NHL playoffs, but I just finished Chapter 19. Still really enjoying it.
    edited April 2014
    About to start chapter 20. I'll probably get through much more of the game later today. For some reason, my memory of the past few chapters concerning the attack on the Guark base weas very hazy, so they almost felt new to me. Also, I still find the narrator a bit of an annoyance. He just points out the most obvious things. :P
    Bravely second...