If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited July 2014 in Latest Updates
When something is a Plus, it's not a port, a remake, or a remaster. It's an older game synthesized with materials like more playable characters, new assignments, and the always useful magic points. Gust's goal was to craft something more fun than the original, but there's always the risk of creating a Broken Item.

Review
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    So is there any reason to keep the original version around?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Harli RaverHarli Raver Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2014
    Fair review. I got stuck in a Game Over in my initial original PS3 version playthrough, but I'm willing to give this game another go.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Wheels wrote: »
    So is there any reason to keep the original version around?

The original is unique among the US releases in how it emphasizes perfecting item synthesis, and in its difficulty. Starting with Totori, there was a larger focus on adventuring and the series got easier, and the Dusk trilogy has been very easy and straightforward so far.

If you want a challenge, enjoy crafting more than adventuring, and don't mind the older, less convenient interface, the original Rorona is the only English Atelier option. Otherwise, no, the original can't be recommended over the Plus version.
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    The simplest reason is simply "trophies" as there are people who love the series enough to want to platinum everythign released. or jsut people who want to platinum everything, in general.

Hmm, I would say the series got rebalanced with Totori rather than simply made easier. I guess it's easier for people who aren't power gamers.
    In the original Rorona, once you could make the perfect Terra Bomb and have it sold wholesale, there wasn't a single enemy left in the game that couldn't be 1HKOed. Totori and Meruru were made a bit easier, but on the other hand, they removed things like 1HKO level items and also have wholesaling degrade your items more.

Of course, a 1 Round KO is still possible with Dimension Egg, but it a bit more work than making a single item and slapping it up for sale in the shop.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    I watched the trailer and it brought back pleasant memories. I think if I ever buy the sony handheld I would hope buy a complete collection of plus games to play through. I stopped playing Atelier games after Totori, hehe and got addicted to FF14.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Thank you for your detailed review.
    I still haven't finished Ayesha so this one will be a pass.
    I want more battles and little to no synthing.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    7thCircle wrote: »
    The original is unique among the US releases in how it emphasizes perfecting item synthesis, and in its difficulty. Starting with Totori, there was a larger focus on adventuring and the series got easier, and the Dusk trilogy has been very easy and straightforward so far.

If you want a challenge, enjoy crafting more than adventuring, and don't mind the older, less convenient interface, the original Rorona is the only English Atelier option. Otherwise, no, the original can't be recommended over the Plus version.

Well I've already played, beaten, and enjoyed so I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth keeping a copy of both versions.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Wheels wrote: »
    Well I've already played, beaten, and enjoyed so I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth keeping a copy of both versions.

I'm keeping my original copy of Rorona just in case I want to replay an Atelier game with a challenge some day. It's unlikely, but who knows? On the other hand, I've already sold Escha & Logy.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited July 2014
    Hearing that this one is easy pretty much just sold me on starting here...if I ever get around to starting the series.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm