If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Upcoming JRPG Soundtrack Composers - 2014/2015

JormungandJormungand MemberFull Members
edited November 2014 in Role Playing Games
The purpose of this topic is to keep track of composer and miscellaneous music information regarding upcoming and recently released JRPGs.

Format is as follows:
[Game] [(Developer)] - [Composer(s) listed roughly in order of amount of contribution, biggest contribution first]

PC
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC (Falcom) - Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshi-ta

PS3
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Gust) - Kazuki Yanagawa, Daisuke Achiwa, Hayato Asano, Sen
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star (Gust/Koei Tecmo) - Kazuki Yanagawa (Lead Composer), Daisuke Achiwa
Fairy Fencer F (Compile Heart) - Kenji Kaneko (Lead Composer), Nobuo Uematsu, Tsutomu Narita, Michio Okamiya, Yosuke Kurokawa, Yoh Ohyama, Yoshiki Katoh
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX (Square Enix) - Yoko Shimomura
Persona 5 (Atlus) - Shoji Meguro
Shining Resonance (Media Vision) - ? [Hiroki Kikuta has been attached to the Shining Hearts/Blade franchise for a few years now, he may reprise his role here]
Tales of Xillia 2 (Namco Bandai) - Motoi Sakuraba
Tales of Zestiria (Namco Bandai) - Motoi Sakuraba, Go Shiina
Tears to Tiara II (Leaf/Aquaplus) - Junya Matsuoka, Shinya Ishikawa, Michio Kinugasa, Miu

PS4
Bloodborne (From Software) - Michael Wandmacher
Disgaea 5 (Nippon Ichi) - ? [probably Tenpei Sato]
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Compile Heart) - ? [Kenji Kaneko will probably take the lead again with an assortment of supporting composers]
Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix) - Yoko Shimomura [Mitsuto Suzuki's presence is also probable as composer, arranger, or more likely, both]
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Square Enix) - Yoko Shimomura

Wii U
Hyrule Warriors (Omega Force/Team Ninja) - Masato Koike, Yuki Matsumura
Legend of Zelda Wii U (Nintendo) - ?
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Atlus + Intelligent Systems) - ?
Xenoblade X (Monolith Soft) - Hiroyuki Sawano

Vita
Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk (Gust) - Daisuke Achiwa, Kazuki Yanagawa, Yu Shimoda
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (Media Vision) - Masafumi Takada
Fantasy Hero: Unsigned Legacy (Arc System Works) - ? (probably Daisuke Ishiwatari)
Freedom Wars (SCEJ) - Kemmei Adachi
Luminous Arc Infinity (image epoch) - Basiscape
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Alfa System) - Konosuke Kihara
Phantasy Star Nova (tri-Ace) - Motoi Sakuraba
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Bandai Namco) - ?
Tales of Hearts R (7th Chord) - Hiroshi Tamura, Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Tamura
Zodiac (Kobojo) - Hitoshi Sakimoto

3DS
Bravely Second (Silicon Studio) - ryo (Supercell)
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. - (Intelligent Systems) - Yoshi-to Hirano
Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (Atlus) - Kenji Ito, Kenichi Tsuchiya, Atsushi Kitajoh, Ryota Kozuka, Toshiki Konishi
Fantasy Life (Brownie Brown) - Nobuo Uematsu [all music arranged by Miki Iwasa (Lead Arranger), Michio Okamiya, Tsutomu Narita, and ACE (Hiroyo Yamanaka and Tomori Kudo)]
Final Fantasy Explorers (Square Enix) - Tsuyoshi Sekito
Forbidden Magna (Marvelous AQL) - Tomoko Morita
Legend of Legacy (FuRyu) - Masashi Hamauzu
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo) - Koji Kondo, Toru Minegishi
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus) - Atsushi Kitajoh (Lead Composer), Toshiki Konishi, Shoji Meguro, Yuzo Koshiro
Tales of the World: Reve Unitia (Bandai Namco) - Go Shiina (Theme Songs), ?

Mobile
Terra Battle (Mistwalker) - Nobuo Uematsu
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians (Playdek) - Hitoshi Sakimoto

Multi-platform
Dragon Quest XI (Square Enix) - Koichi Sugiyama [will be developed for home consoles]
Dragon Quest Heroes (Square Enix/Koei Tecmo) - ? [will probably NOT be handled by Sugiyama, and instead feature lots of arrangements done by someone else. Square Enix Music handles not only most of Square's internal games but also a lot of games that are outsourced/collaborated on, so I expect some involvement from the usual suspects.]
God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Shift) - Go Shiina [enhanced port of the 2013 game, unknown if there's new music]
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (Square Enix) - Takeharu Ishimoto
Judas Code (tri-Ace) - Kensuke Inage (Lead Composer), Jamie Christopherson
Natural Doctrine (Kadowaka Games) - Noriyuki Asakura
Wonder Flick (Level-5) - Nobuo Uematsu
(New Ys Title) (Falcom) - Falcom Sound Team jdk

Unknown platform

Some questions for discussion:
1. Which RPG soundtrack are you most looking forward to? Why?
2. Which RPG composer do you wish you saw on this list of upcoming soundtracks? Who do you miss the most?
3. If you were in charge of any upcoming RPG, who would you hire to do the music and why?

Comments

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for this list! Unsurprisingly Motoi Sakuraba is keeping himself busy. I'm glad to see Go Shiina helping out in Tales of Zestiria. If he manages to reprise the awesome of Tales of Legendia, then the music might not be so bad in Zestiria.

Also unsurprisingly, Yasunori Mitsuda is off doing his own thing and isn't on this list. I guess once you've made a Chrono Cross-level OST, you have nothing left to prove in the VG music world.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited August 2014
    1) It would be cheating, but I'd have to say Ishimoto's work on FF Type-0, because I've already listened to it and it's great.
    2) I know Meguro is on there, but not soon enough.
    3) Ishimoto would be my choice were I making an RPG. His rock style would fit the theme of the world I've designed in my mind. :)
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    Looking forward to seeing how Hiroyuki Sawano and Ryo do with RPG soundtracks (although would've been nice to hear more from Revo for Bravely), enjoyed their work elsewhere.

Also these are a bit cheating as I've already bought the soundtracks, but Trails SC and Type-0 are excellent.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited August 2014
    1. Honestly, I never really bothered with who makes a soundtrack before I get a game ever. If I really really love an OST, I later check the name of the composer, however.

2. (and 3. assuming I can hire everyone) The composer I miss the most is easy to answer: The one who did the OST for Shining in the Darkness / Shining Force. He had a really unique style that I liked, but he completely disappeared from the world after Shining Force. I still wonder today what happened to him.

Most OSTs I liked where actually for Mega Drive... the Shining Force II composer was pretty good too, so were the Phantasy Star II and IV composers. Phantasy Star II has a calm style that feels like nature and Phantasy Star IV has a more electro techno style that I really like. Outside Mega Drive there are only two composers I really liked and those were Kenji Ito and Motoi Sakuraba. As for Motoi Sakuraba, I only really liked him in a very short time frame. I didn't like him too much in his early times, for example Shining Force III and Shining The Holy Ark have worse soundtracks for me than the other Shining games. However in after that he became really good. His prime was in Valkyrie Profile 1 for me where I literary liked every single track. These days I just don't like him all that much anymore, all sounds the same, no more notable melodies, much less electro that he used to use as well. As for Kenji Ito, I mainly loved him for the SaGaFrontier soundtrack. I like him out of completely different reasons, though. Kenji Ito has a talent no other composer seems to have: He can transfer visuals very well into music. The music just perfectly fits to the regions. He uses a lot of completely different music genres just to get the perfect fit music. He can do calm, beautiful, exciting, electric, epic, church/latin style music well, whatever fits! Also he is one of the few composers that actually create notable melodies in almost all their songs. I can recall all of them!

Today, there is no longer a composer I really like. All modern gaming music to me is just "epic noise" it seems to me. I can't describe it otherwise... it sounds strong and important but it has nothing notable to it... I miss the good old times that had unique melodies you still remembered years after playing the game. So yeah I'm not looking forward to any OSTs, but of course it can always happen that I end up liking one. As said earlier I'm more a reactive type here... if I like music, I check who did it and what else he did, not the other way around.

If I could hire anyone... well if that Shining Force I guy was still alive I totally would like to contact him and ask him. Kenji Ito would also be a candicate I really would love to make the OST for one of my games.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I made an edit to the first post--it seems the full credits to Devil Survivor 2 got deleted.
    riulyn wrote: »
    Also unsurprisingly, Yasunori Mitsuda is off doing his own thing and isn't on this list. I guess once you've made a Chrono Cross-level OST, you have nothing left to prove in the VG music world.
    Well, Mitsuda has scored 3-4 games a year since Chrono Cross, and though I'd still call Cross his greatest full score, he's done lots of exceptional material since then. He's still very active, just not on RPGs as much. The only RPG series he is attached to anymore is Inazuma Eleven, which it seems he's starting to hand off to his other employees. Mitsuda is starting to get more into anime and live-action scoring.
    2. (and 3. assuming I can hire everyone) The composer I miss the most is easy to answer: The one who did the OST for Shining in the Darkness / Shining Force. He had a really unique style that I liked, but he completely disappeared from the world after Shining Force. I still wonder today what happened to him.
    Yes, we all do! Masahiko Yoshimura's work was excellent, despite how few game soundtracks he seems to have composed--and they're all really old. What happened to him after his work for Game Arts is a big question mark. Over the years, especially with the advent of social networking, the VGM community has been able to uncover lots of information about composers. However, there are still dozens from the early days of VGM that continue to elude us.
    the Shining Force II composer was pretty good too,
    One of the greatest game composers, I think. Motoaki Takenouchi is still an active keyboardist and melodica player under the stage name "dj" with the group Autumn-River Willow. I have a feeling he writes and arranges some of their music, too. Unfortunately he doesn't score games anymore (that's not to say he wouldn't if asked!)
    Today, there is no longer a composer I really like. All modern gaming music to me is just "epic noise" it seems to me. I can't describe it otherwise... it sounds strong and important but it has nothing notable to it... I miss the good old times that had unique melodies you still remembered years after playing the game.
    I know what you mean. However, I believe that "classic" style still lingers, particularly when you look at composers that have been around since the 90s.

To answer my own questions:
    When I look at this list, I recognize the trend that has paralleled the reduction of home console turn-based RPGs: fewer of my favorite composers doing RPG soundtracks. I'm actually very open to composers I'm unfamiliar with. However, to this day, few "new" composers have accomplished what the more experienced ones have.

That said, I want to have confirmation that Hiroki Kikuta will be doing Shining Resonance--which would be my most anticipated, in that case. I'm also looking forward to seeing who will be put in charge of Zelda Wii U. Star Fox 64/Pikmin/many others composer Hajime Wakai scored Skyward Sword, and it was absolutely excellent--the best 3D Zelda score to my ears. I'm hoping he gets the job again. However, I strongly doubt it: Wakai will undoubtedly be put in charge of the new Star Fox game instead. I am also excited to hear Trails in the Sky SC, though it's not a "new" soundtrack. I enjoyed FC's music for the most part.

One anomaly on the list is Konosuke Kihara, who I can't find any information about anywhere. I might be able to find out more if I knew the kanji for his name. Oreshika seems to be his only work to date.

2. Which RPG composer do you wish you saw on this list of upcoming soundtracks? Who do you miss the most?
    I miss soooo many composers. The best ones aren't doing RPGs anymore, and it's depressing. Of those composers who are still active, I wish to see Yasunori Mitsuda, Saori Kobayashi, Yoshino Aoki, Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano, Kohei Tanaka, Michiko Naruke... well, this list could go on for quite some time. I really miss the inactive, apparently retired RPG composers who have moved on to other pursuits: Hiroshi Tamawari, Miyoko Kobayashi, Motoaki Takenouchi, Yayoi Wachi, and many more.

3. If you were in charge of any upcoming RPG, who would you hire to do the music and why?
    It seems Bravely Default/Second producer Tomoya Asano wanted "fantasy rock" for the series. If I were in charge of the series, I would have known exactly who to get for the job: Ryuji Sasai. The composer of the best stuff from FF Mystic Quest and SaGa 3, with the budget for live instruments? It would be amazing. Plus, Sasai was just recently hired to arrange his own music for the SaGa 3 remake, so Square still clearly has contact with him. It's an absolute shame and a wasted opportunity, I think, that he wasn't put in charge of Bravely.

Xenoblade X - Yasunori Mitsuda should be doing this game. Sometime, Mr. Takahashi will come to his senses again. If Takahashi really need to have "mecha anime" on his composer's r
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited August 2014
    Sorry to be a nitpick, but Tales of Hearts R is on the Vita, not the 3DS.

Anyway...

At the top of my list, though cautiously, is Bravely Second. I'm a bit miffed that Revo isn't composing the game's OST, as I think the music in Bravely Default is phenomenal (apparently Revo's not doing the music due to conflicting schedules. Oh well). However, much like how Revo is the leader of a band (Sound Horizon), ryo is also the leader of band . Also, now that I know the producer wanted the music to be "fantasy rock," it might be a good fit after all. I hope for the best for Bravely Second's OST.

Others that I'm cautiously looking forward to are The Legend of Zelda Wii U, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and Xenoblade X. I love the music in Skyward Sword, though who knows if the next game will follow suite. I'm really curious as to what kind of music will be in SMT X FE. I'm kind of hoping that for the SMT side, one composer will be Ryota Koduka, and on the FE side, there will be Rei Kondoh and Hiroki Morish!ta. I would have preferred that they got Yoko Shimmomura, ACE+. and Manami Kiyota from the first Xenoblade to compose for X, but I'm still hopeful.

Yuki Harada, darn it! The guy composes some excellent music for Arc Rise Fantasia , and apparently hasn't done anything since. :( I suppose saying Revo would be obvious. More music by Yoko Shimmomura would be great, but perhaps doing the music for Kingdom Hearts 3 is enough of a handful. Hearing more games with music by Shota Kageyama would be great, but I think he's pretty much a part of Game Freak right by now, and thus mostly doing music for Pokemon. The music in that series has gotten much better when he joined. Although, maybe some new track in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will be done by him? He started composing Pokemon music by doing some original tracks for HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Would it be cheating for me to say Yuki Harada and Revo again (ignoring the whole schedule conflict thing)? :P I don't really think I can say anything different from question 2. Though the composers would go to different games, which ones, I'm not really sure about.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited August 2014
    Sorry to be a nitpick, but Tales of Hearts R is on the Vita, not the 3DS.
    Indeed it is! Fixed.

Also, now that I knowing the producer wanted the music to be "fantasy rock," it might be a good fit after all. I hope for the best for Bravely Second's OST.
    I worded that poorly. Asano never actually said that (I don't think). It's something I inferred from the overall musical direction of Bravely Default along with Asano's choice in specifically picking Revo. Asano is obviously a Sound Horizon fan.
    Yuki Harada, darn it! The guy composes some excellent music for Arc Rise Fantasia , and apparently hasn't done anything since.
    Harada's involvement on ARF remains a bit of a mystery. Mitsuda specifically selected him to help out, but there's no clear indication of why. Well, Harada wrote a little bit on the ARF OST liner notes, but it hasn't been translated yet. Anyway, Harada is mostly active in other areas. According to his website he does mostly TV commercials and plays live events.
    edited August 2014
    Well, I'll remember not to quote that fantasy rock tidbit, then. :P

And yeah, by Yuki Harada not having "done anything since," I specifically meant video games. It would still be nice to another game OST by him.
    Bravely second...

edited August 2014
    Yeah, Ryo isn't one I'd associate with "fantasy rock" while Revo/Sound Horizon are almost the epitome of it :P Ryo is a bit of a different direction, I associate him a bit more towards pop/rock and Occult/Science-fantasy stuff rather than straight out fantasy rock. Maybe that's how the Bravely world has moved on :P One of the reasons I'm curious to hear the soundtrack.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • knownameknowname KnowJob, KnowClue Full Members
    edited August 2014
    As a big Noriyuki Iwadare (Grandia) fan I am now curious about Noriyuki Asakura's influence on Natural Doctrine... doesn't the first name mean their possibly related in Japanese? I also really like Kohei Tanaka of Alundra and Sakura Taisen fame.
    edited August 2014
    knowname wrote: »
    As a big Noriyuki Iwadare (Grandia) fan I am now curious about Noriyuki Asakura's influence on Natural Doctrine... doesn't the first name mean their possibly related in Japanese? I also really like Kenji (or Kensuke I forget) Tanaka of Lufia and Sakura Taisen fame.

Only if it's decided to write it with the family name first, which we haven't done. Iwadare and Asakura are the family names in this case so them being related is unlikely.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited August 2014
    There's no one who is currently actively composing video game music who I'd say I look forward to hearing (although my interest in JRPGs in general has declined a lot in recent years so I'm not exactly familiar with them all).

Some JRPG composers I miss:

Hiroshi Fujioka - wrote the music for Growlanser Generations (II & III).

[h=3]Yasunori Mitsuda - I really love the music from the Chrono games and also Tsgunai: Atonement[/h]
    I also agree with Rya about the Shining Force I & II composers. Actually a lot of the RPGs on SEGA Genesis / SEGA CD had great soundtracks as I recall.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited September 2014
    Additions based on the Sony Conference:

Bloodborne (From Software) - Michael Wandmacher
    Dragon Quest Heroes (Square Enix/Koei Tecmo) - ? [will probably NOT be handled by Sugiyama, and instead feature lots of arrangements done by someone else. Square Enix Music handles not just most of Square's internal games but also a lot of games that are outsourced, so I expect some involvement from the usual suspects]
    God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Shift) - Go Shiina [enhanced port of the 2013 game, unknown if there's new music]
    Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Compile Heart) - ? [Kenji Kaneko will probably take the lead again with an assortment of supporting composers]
    Luminous Arc Infinity (image epoch) - Basiscape [Yasunori Mitsuda was the sound producer for all 3 LA games, but only actually composed one piece and arranged another... his role for each was mostly to assemble a team of composers and help produce their work. To date the series has had 10 different composers.]
    (New Ys Title) (Falcom) - Falcom Sound Team jdk

Also added:

Hyrule Warriors (Omega Force/Team Ninja) - Masato Koike, Yuki Matsumura

I forgot to mention in the first post, but feel free to mention when new JRPGs are announced and I'll add them.

EDIT: After watching the video, it seems that Basiscape, Hitoshi Sakimoto's music company, will handle the soundtrack for Luminous Arc Infinity. The first piece in particular reminds me of Mitsuhiro Kaneda. There will probably be a mixture of Basiscape composers as usual.
    edited September 2014
    This is the first I've heard at all about Luminous Arc Infinity. I would be more excited, but I have no interest in getting a Vita.
    Bravely second...

edited September 2014
    Update:

Legend of Legacy (FuRyu) - Masashi Hamauzu
    Terra Battle (Mistwalker) - Nobuo Uematsu
    Zodiac (Kobojo) - Hitoshi Sakimoto
    edited October 2014
    I just recently found out that Shota Kageyama had left Game Freak in the beginning of the year. I don't know if that means he is or isn't working on the Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire OST. He has started his own company, Spica Musica and still wants to compose game music. Kageyama said that it would also be great if he could work with Game Freak in the future. I hope that means for future Pokemon generations. The music in Black/White and X/Y is easily the best in the series, and a lot of the tracks that I think are the absolute best were composed and arranged by him.

That does mean Kageyama is free to compose music for games other than Pokemon. This could be interesting indeed.
    Bravely second...

edited November 2014
    Update:

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk (Gust) - Daisuke Achiwa, Kazuki Yanagawa, Yu Shimoda
    Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Gust) - Kazuki Yanagawa, Daisuke Achiwa, Hayato Asano, Sen
    Fantasy Hero: Unsigned Legacy (Arc System Works) - ? (probably Daisuke Ishiwatari)
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo) - Koji Kondo, Toru Minegishi