If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Risen 3: Titan Lords

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited August 2014 in Latest Updates
Rise from your grave to unite mage pirates, demon hunter pirates, voodoo pirates, and pirate pirates in a game that might also have titan lords in it, but mostly has pirates. Homi nix like dingi, yip yip? Nope, nope.

Review
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Worse than I expected. From other sources I heard a lot that it's the best of the series (because it removed the flaws of Risen 2 and made the battle system more interesting). Of course that could mean you would rate the other games even worse. =p
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    Oooo, that's a succint plus/minus list!
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Paws wrote: »
    Oooo, that's a succint plus/minus list!
    You can read the disinterest of the reviewer for the game right out of it.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    Kinda disappointing. Risen 2 actually had a surprisingly good script and story, and a fantastically well-realized world, which caught me really off guard because I was expecting a turd like Risen 1.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited August 2014
    The game's subtitle implies there will be titan lords too, but don't hold your breath.

In addition to everything else, the subtitle lies (I assume either there is only one Titan Lord, or there are none. :P)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I liked Risen 3 more than 7th, though I agree that the overall story is pretty awful. What I enjoyed was the character interactions and the obvious work that was put into the languages and cultures portrayed in the game.

Also, there's a super-profane parrot. I'm a sucker for a super-profane parrot.

The subtitle should absolutely have been Risen 3: Pirate Harder.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Kinda disappointing. Risen 2 actually had a surprisingly good script and story, and a fantastically well-realized world, which caught me really off guard because I was expecting a turd like Risen 1.

Unfortunately, I didn't play Risen 2 and can't compare the atmosphere or script between the two. For all I know, someone who liked them in Risen 2 might also like them in Risen 3, even though it didn't do it for me. It sounds like Risen 3 has improved combat and technical performance, and is probably a better overall game than Risen 2. It might be worth checking out Risen 3 when it's on sale some day, given that it fixes what you didn't like about the last game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Does this game have quests where you kill black people and take their heads like Risen 2?

I kind of feel like, as someone who comes from a country with a history of colonialism, it's maybe not ok for me to play games like that.
    edited August 2014
    Drav wrote: »
    Does this game have quests where you kill black people and take their heads like Risen 2?

I kind of feel like, as someone who comes from a country with a history of colonialism, it's maybe not ok for me to play games like that.

It does not. It does, however, take colonialism and slavery as a given, and does not question them or give you a chance to do so.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I guess I can't really complain about that when it was all through the Gothic games as well, although it doesn't really have the same effect when it's humans enslaving fantasy creatures or vise versa.
    edited August 2014
    There are a few human slaves as well, and the portrayal of the native peoples is iffy at best.