If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

A Year of One Hit Wonders - November - NieR

redwing42redwing42 Just MonikaFull Members
edited November 2014 in Role Playing Games
For November, we will be taking a look at NieR, a game looked upon particularly fondly by some here at RPGamer. There is some interesting back story to this game's development and ultimate release. Developed by Cavia and published by SquareEnix, Nier was originally meant to be the third game in the Drakengard series. It was based on the fifth ending of the original Drakengard game, but was eventually turned into a spin-off rather than a true sequel. It was also originally planned as an X360 exclusive, but as development continued, they chose to open the game up to the Japanese market by releasing on the PS3 as well. Not only that, but they actually released two different versions of the game in Japan: NieR Gestalt, the X360 version which is the same as the NA and PAL release version; and NieR Replicant, which was released on PS3 with a younger protagonist. The games are virtually the same, with a few minor dialogue differences to reflect the father-daughter or brother-sister relationship between the protagonist and Yonah. This was ultimately the last game that Cavia developed. They were later absorbed into their parent company, AQ Interactive. A significant number of the staff later moved on to Access Games and worked on the actual Drakengard 3.

The gameplay is primarily third-person character action style, though the combat does change styles in certain battles. In fact, the game tries to touch on nearly every major style of modern game: side scrolling platformers, SHMUPS, Diablo-clones, and even some old-time text adventures. The visuals are not a strong point, but the audio is very strong, both musically and in the voice acting. The game is also designed to be played to completion multiple times with four different endings to the game, requiring at least three playthroughs to unlock them all. There is quite a bit going for this game, despite its middling reviews. I hope everyone gives it a shot. Enjoy!

Comments

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited November 2014
    Since I played the game in English 2 years ago, I'm tackling NieR Replicant this time. My Japanese ability isn't that great, but it would help if the text size was bigger! They are fine for the important story stuff/cutscenes, but too small for me to read comfortably anywhere else. I guess I'm so used to playing Japanese games on handhelds that I didn't expect this to be my problem with understanding the text...

Anyway, just got myself some magic. Yonah is ridiculously cute. Older brother's hair is ridiculously awful right now. I'm already noticing some differences in the dialogue that not only reflect the difference in relationship between father-daughter vs brother-sister but also the age and experience of the MC. There's probably a good resource somewhere on the internet that notes all the differences between the two which will be more accurate than my memory and not-fluent Japanese ability.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited November 2014
    I'm a few hours in at this point. I've done a couple story missions at the Junk Pile and I'm heading off to Seaport now. I'm generally enjoying it so far, though the aiming on magic leaves something to be desired. The music really has been top notch to this point, though occasionally the vocals will swell up and over the dialogue.
    edited November 2014
    I have just recruited a certain foul-mouthed character and have done quite a bit of fishing on the side. It's pretty amusing that they just bleep out all the "cursing" in the Japanese version. Who knows what she is actually saying, but it makes her sound really rough.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited November 2014
    I had this game at one point for PS3, but think I must have sold it on eBay. Played it for maybe a few hours at most and was so utterly bored with it that I couldn't continue. I don't usually like Action RPGs though so that's not surprising. So while I probably didn't really give this game a fair shot.. considering that I also usually don't like platformers, SHMUPS, or Diablo... it seems this game is definitely not for me.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited November 2014
    I've not been home too much this month, but I managed to make more progress today. Using a quest guide to get all the first half quests since they don't carry over to the second half. I don't know if I will try to do 100% quest completion, but since only the second half of the game is repeated for each ending, I figure I can decide whether or not to go for all quests later.

The game is actually quite short when you don't spend time on the quests.
    edited November 2014
    Been putting more time into this... mostly into side quests and fishing. I'm still enjoying it quite a bit, even if the pacing seems a bit off (probably my own fault). Need to head to the desert now...probably no fishing there.
    edited November 2014
    Finished up the first half of the game tonight. At least half of my time has been spent on sidequests to this point, so the game would probably be very short if I critical pathed everything. I'm still really enjoying the boss battles and the music is great. I don't think the visuals are really that bad, and there are some nice lighting effects used throughout. There is quite a bit of melancholy in this game as well, especially if you read the letters and journal entries from Yonah. Probably won't finish it up this month, but I feel like I've given the game a fair look and will likely get around to completing it sometime soon.