If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Wasteland 2

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited November 2014 in Latest Updates
What does an exploding blood sausage look like? The graphics in the original Wasteland left much to the imagination, but finally the long-awaited sequel is here to answer this and other important questions.

Review
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    I still may play this at some point -- for awhile I was watching Fowl play this and then all of a sudden, he stopped. It may have been for the reasons you brought up. :P
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2014
    Great game box though.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    edited November 2014
    Very nice review... very accurate.

They had a great game premise set up to be very engaging. Some parts are very cool, while others make you want to choke yourself, such as strange enemy AI. Also the enemy AI does not follow the same rule-set as the player (May have been patched after I stopped playing it). The games frame rate can be very frustrating at times. I run a nice gaming machine and I had to turn my settings way down just to get the mouse to move across the screen.

I quit playing after I hit what I call a frame-rate wall, lol. Where even on my lowest settings I could not move at more than a snails pace.

Loved the idea of the game... did not love the technical issues.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    Mostly agree with the review as we discussed, but would probably be a little less harsh on it. While it does have some annoyances, it didnt affect the fun I had with it as much I suppose.

The framerate issue is new to me, I didnt experience that at all.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for your detailed review.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited November 2014
    Wrapped up the game last night and this review is spot on. For me though the interface complaints and simplicity of combat were easily outweighed by the variety of approaches you could take to achieve your goals. I also really liked that it was possible to mess up badly, it made the few times where I pulled off an ideal outcome that much sweeter. And I loved the junk. It totally rivals Stick of Truth for awesome junk.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    edited November 2014
    A generous review but I'm someone who got tired of running around the world and cudgeling hordes of bandits/animals/monsters to death because ammo is a difficult/mindnumbing to manage/acquire (I seriously considered going shotguns-only so I would only have to deal with shotgun shells), and started using cheats before getting to the second "half" of the game.

Caveat: I don't know if its my hardware, the drivers or the game, but the game would randomly(?) suffer from graphical glitches and unplayable frame rate issues. The frame rate decided to hit the floor in the middle of one of the endgame fights and since you can't save mid-fight (understandably to avoid save scumming) I had to reload from a previous save and redo the entire fight (which takes a while even if you're rolling with a squad of all-stats, all-skills maxed out characters on the lowest difficulty.)
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    edited November 2014
    imercenary wrote: »
    A generous review but I'm someone who got tired of running around the world and cudgeling hordes of bandits/animals/monsters to death because ammo is a difficult/mindnumbing to manage/acquire (I seriously considered going shotguns-only so I would only have to deal with shotgun shells), and started using cheats before getting to the second "half" of the game.

Caveat: I don't know if its my hardware, the drivers or the game, but the game would randomly(?) suffer from graphical glitches and unplayable frame rate issues. The frame rate decided to hit the floor in the middle of one of the endgame fights and since you can't save mid-fight (understandably to avoid save scumming) I had to reload from a previous save and redo the entire fight (which takes a while even if you're rolling with a squad of all-stats, all-skills maxed out characters on the lowest difficulty.)

This is the same issues I would randomly encounter as well.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com