The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Developing Final Fantasy - Editorial

2»

Comments

• Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    Here's another baseball analogy for commercial vs. critical success: The Chicago Cubs. They are perennially near the top in attendance, they are one of the most beloved, valuable, and profitable organizations in the league...and they haven't won a World Series in 100+ years. Fans buy tickets every season, but by the end not many of them are happy.

Wow...I'm about as far from a sports fan as one can be, and even I love this analogy.

And I was one of those fans...up until about XIII-2. I bought the games immediately as they came out, paying full price, because I loved the series so much. Around that point, I put my foot down and said, "No Mas," as I finally recognized that S-E was no longer creating the masterpieces which deserved my full price purchases. I still have enough fan love to buy all of the games at some point...but now I wait for the prices to fall, which ironically enough, doesn't take long these days.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited November 2014
    LR was the first "main series" Final Fantasy I didn't even attempt to buy. FF13 was mediocre, FF13-2 was execrable, and the demo of LR didn't excite me in the least. XV looks a little better but I haven't seen enough reasons to buy a PS4 yet.
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    jcservant wrote: »
    But when *was* the last FF Home run?
    For me, 14 years ago, but who's counting...

In the series defense, there have only been two mainline, non-MMO titles in the series since X: XII and XIII. To keep with the baseball analogy, they've only been up to bat twice in the last 8 years. At certain points in the series' history we would get a new one each year.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    Agreed, Scion...but then, when you stop showing up to games and/or taking chances at bat, people forget who you are....

I love these analogies. Have I mentioned that?
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!