If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Developing Final Fantasy - Editorial

2»

Comments

• Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    Here's another baseball analogy for commercial vs. critical success: The Chicago Cubs. They are perennially near the top in attendance, they are one of the most beloved, valuable, and profitable organizations in the league...and they haven't won a World Series in 100+ years. Fans buy tickets every season, but by the end not many of them are happy.

Wow...I'm about as far from a sports fan as one can be, and even I love this analogy.

And I was one of those fans...up until about XIII-2. I bought the games immediately as they came out, paying full price, because I loved the series so much. Around that point, I put my foot down and said, "No Mas," as I finally recognized that S-E was no longer creating the masterpieces which deserved my full price purchases. I still have enough fan love to buy all of the games at some point...but now I wait for the prices to fall, which ironically enough, doesn't take long these days.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited November 2014
    LR was the first "main series" Final Fantasy I didn't even attempt to buy. FF13 was mediocre, FF13-2 was execrable, and the demo of LR didn't excite me in the least. XV looks a little better but I haven't seen enough reasons to buy a PS4 yet.
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    jcservant wrote: »
    But when *was* the last FF Home run?
    For me, 14 years ago, but who's counting...

In the series defense, there have only been two mainline, non-MMO titles in the series since X: XII and XIII. To keep with the baseball analogy, they've only been up to bat twice in the last 8 years. At certain points in the series' history we would get a new one each year.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    Agreed, Scion...but then, when you stop showing up to games and/or taking chances at bat, people forget who you are....

I love these analogies. Have I mentioned that?
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!