If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

"A Year of..." 2015 Final Poll

redwing42redwing42 Just MonikaFull Members
edited December 2014 in Role Playing Games
Finalists are in. I ended up having to go with the top four, since there were three choices tied for second. All discussion is welcome in this thread, be it discussion of the themes or the games that would make up said themes. Obviously this is a single choice poll, so choose the theme you would most like to see covered next year. Thanks.

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited December 2014
    As people think about their decisions, I'd also like to see a trial run of games for a couple of themes. I think SRPGs and Best in a Series would be easy enough to put together, but I'd like to see how an Indie games list or a Best Villains game fills out. I can really only think of a few indie RPGs, like the Zeboyd games, Shadowrun and Wasteland 2. Best Villains would be difficult for me to fill out, but I'm sure others have suggestions. The ones I would assume as given would be Kefka (FFVI), Ghaleon (Lunar: The Silver Star), and Kato (Shadow Hearts: Covenant).
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited December 2014
    I love the idea of "Best Villains" but I don't have a ton of games to suggest. In addition to those mentioned by redwing42, I think some of my favorite villains come out of Radiant Historia, Suikoden II, Suikoden III, The World Ends With You, and Valkyrie Profile II. However, Radiant Historia and TWEWY are part of this year's Year of.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2014
    redwing42 wrote: »
    As people think about their decisions, I'd also like to see a trial run of games for a couple of themes. I think SRPGs and Best in a Series would be easy enough to put together, but I'd like to see how an Indie games list or a Best Villains game fills out. I can really only think of a few indie RPGs, like the Zeboyd games, Shadowrun and Wasteland 2. Best Villains would be difficult for me to fill out, but I'm sure others have suggestions. The ones I would assume as given would be Kefka (FFVI), Ghaleon (Lunar: The Silver Star), and Kato (Shadow Hearts: Covenant).

I'm sure some one will vote Sephiroth for Best Villains however Sephiroth is a pansy who has mommy issues and is doing everything under the will of Jenova. Heck for the entire first part of the game whenever you run into "Sephiroth" it was really Jenova
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited December 2014

I voted for a year of indie RPGs, but tactical / SRPG could be great as well. I don't like the the "best of" categories for reasons I've already mentioned.

It might help to come up with a precise definition of indie games... A lot of people probably wouldn't count a game like "Wasteland 2" as an indie game considering it had a large budget (Almost $3 million from Kickstarter and probably quite a bit more than that from Steam Early Access), and they had a publisher "Deep Silver"... although they came in late so it was really just a distribution deal... Now certainly Wasteland 2 is closer to indie than say Skyrim but I know a lot of people would say that game in particular is a bit of stretch... Shadowrun Returns also had a pretty large budget thanks to Kickstarter but Harebrained Schemes is a smaller studio than inXile so might fit better with what people would think of as "indie"... Anywhere you draw the line on budget or team size is ultimately arbitrary.

But anyway, here's some suggestion for a year of indies in no particular order. I tried to choose games that are available for relatively cheap on Steam / Gog / Humble Store have modest system requirements and a few on other platforms. Put a few upcoming indie RPGs that should be released by 2015 near the end because I think it'd be great to have some new games in the mix (and being indie they'll still be cheap).:

Jan. Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut (PC/Mac/Linux) (due out on tablets soon)
    Feb. The Banner Saga (PC / Mac / Linux/ iOS)
    Mar. Expeditions: Conquistadors
    Apl. Heroine's Quest (PC) This is a free game on Steam and DRM-free at indiedb.com
    May Boot Hill Heroes (PC / Vita)
    June Dungeons of Dredmor (PC/Mac/Linux)
    July Knights of the Chalice (PC)
    Aug. Blackguards
    Sept. Liege (PC/Mac/Linux/Wii-U/PS4/Vita/tablets)
    Oct. Dragon Fin Soup (PC/Mac/Linux/Vita/PS3/PS4)
    Nov. Serpents in the Staglands (PC/ Mac / Linux)
    Dec. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC/ Mac)

Here's some other possibilities: Celestian Tales: Old North; Act 1 (PC/Mac/Linux), Eschalon Book 1 (or 2 or 3), anything by Spiderweb Software, Echoes of Eternea (assuming they finally release it in 2015), Darkest Dungeon, Starcrawlers, Earthlock: Festival of Magic, Telepath RPG: Servants of God or Telepath Tactics, The Meridian Shard, Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements, Prisonscape, Underrail, Dead State, Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge, Barkley's Shut up and Jam Gaiden (another freeware RPG), Dex, Age of Decadence, Lords of Xulima (it's a big game so it would be hard for most to finish in a month)
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited December 2014
    The one concern that I have for the indie game list is that it will be heavily PC-based, and the general tone of these boards is console-centric. It isn't a deal breaker, but it is something to note.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2014
    But most PC Indie games don't need a SRS BS rig like most AAA RPGs (and on top of that are very affordable.) Besides, one of the hallmarks of the Year Of is often challenging people to play a little differently, so it can't hurt for people to stretch to try something new.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2014
    You guys have already sort of done "best in the series" in the previous years, and best indie RPGs...well, you're most likely to find those on PC and 3DS. Gameboy games never seem to find their way into these lists and we all know how poorly the PC "Year of" did.

You don't often see many TRPGs in these lists though, a real shame that, and cool villains are just cool and not necessarily restricted to the biggest RPGs.
    Besides, one of the hallmarks of the Year Of is often challenging people to play a little differently, so it can't hurt for people to stretch to try something new.

Have you seen the previous editions of this activity? One of the reasons why I lost interest in this is because nobody ever WANTS to try something new.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2014
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    You guys have already sort of done "best in the series" in the previous years, and best indie RPGs...well, you're most likely to find those on PC and 3DS. Gameboy games never seem to find their way into these lists and we all know how poorly the PC "Year of" did.
    The Best series thing wouldn't be a single game from a series, it would be a series itself. You can play any RPG in that series and it will count for the month, as a way to encourage people to try new series or games in the series they have not yet tried before. So if Grandia got on the list and you haven't played Grandia II yet, you could play it as a part of the month.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited December 2014
    The one concern that I have for the indie game list is that it will be heavily PC-based, and the general tone of these boards is console-centric. It isn't a deal breaker, but it is something to note.

True, but there are some indie RPGs slated for release on consoles in 2015, so we could try to select the indie RPGs that are multiplatform.

Rainbow Moon is out on PS3 & Vita
    Boot Hill Heroes is available on Vita (with plans for a release on Xbox Live)
    Pier Solar is available on (...basically every platform?)

Cosmic Star Heroine is planned for PS4 & Vita
    Dragon Fin Soup is coming to PS3, PS4, & Vita
    The Banner Saga is supposed to be planned for XBLA and PSN ports soon
    Liege is planned for Wii-U, PS4, and Vita
    Earthlock is planned for PS4, Wii-U, & XBox1
    Soul Saga is planned for PS4, Vita, and Wii-U
    Hyper Light Drifter is planned for PS4 / Vita
    Shiness is planned for PS4 & Xbox1
    Darkest Dungeon is confirmed for PS4 & Vita

Probably some more I'm forgetting or not even aware of...

So a year of indies clearly does not have to mean a year of PC exclusives. But regardless, I also agree with Paws... This should hopefully encourage people to try some games outside of their comfort zone... Part of the reason some people don't game on PC is presumably because of the pervasive myth that you need an expensive gaming machine. People who believe that are forgetting about indies. Even though we'll probably have to have a few PC/Mac only games on the list, they don't have to be ones that require a gaming rig to play.

And a year of Final Fantasy, Tales of, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc. sounds incredibly boring to me. People that like those series are gonna play them anyway. People that don't aren't going to participate. At least a year of indies means people playing some games they might not have otherwise.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited December 2014
    FYI, I will not vote in this poll. I will break any ties myself, though.
    edited December 2014
    Just for fun, here's a list of possible Tactical / SRPGs I came up with if we went that route:

Jan. Shining Force II (Genesis/ PC / XBLA / PSN)
    Feb. Blackguards (PC)
    March Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP/Vita) or Growlanser: Heritage of War (PS2/ PS3)
    April: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3 / PC)
    May Jagged Alliance (PC/ NDS)
    June Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
    July Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut (PC/Mac/Linux/tablets)
    August The Banner Saga (PC/Mac/Linux/iOS... possibly XBLA / PSN)
    Sept. Telepath Tactics (PC)
    Oct. Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment (PS3/Xbox360)
    Nov. Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians (PC/Mac/Linux/tablets.. possibly console ports)
    Dec. Expeditions: Conquistadors (PC/Mac/Linux)

Yeah I squeezed in a few of my suggestions of indie titles, :p

Other possibilities could include SMT: Devil Survivor (DS/3DS), Disagaea (PSP/PS2/PS3/PS4), Jeanne D'Arc (PSP/Vita), Tactics Ogre (PSP/Vita), or if you want the list to include something I'm sure everyone here has already played in some incarnation... "Final Fantasy Tactics".

edited December 2014
    To be fair, FFT is arguably the best SRPG out there, so I would not be opposed to it being on the list. If that were the winner, of course.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2014
    That list missing something important namely wars of robots that are super (did come out on GBA in US)
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited December 2014
    To be fair, FFT is arguably the best SRPG out there, so I would not be opposed to it being on the list. If that were the winner, of course.

I'm sure a lot of people think that it is. And there's probably some people who visit this forum that basically only play major JRPGs like those made by SE. I just feel that we'd all get more out of a year of games that some of us haven't played... whether it's because we haven't really heard of them, they've been in our backlog forever, or they're different from the games we'd normally choose to play. It would good for all of us to broaden our horizons and maybe we'll end up discovering a new favorite.

There's nothing stopping anyone here from creating a FFT thread in the SE forum and discussing it there. Of course we're always free to do so for any game, but I have a feeling if I created a thread about a random indie RPG, it wouldn't get much of a response; people would ignore it because they haven't played it, or possibly haven't even heard of it.

I'd also hope that if SRPG or indie RPGs win that you don't completely use my suggested lists either... I've played some of the games I've suggested, but not all of them (obviously since some aren't even released yet) but I'm hoping to discover some new favorites as well. I could totally understand not wanting to pick any universally loathed games, but picking a bunch of popular, universally praised games is just as bad.. because it doesn't encourage anyone to try anything different.
    That list missing something important namely wars of robots that are super (did come out on GBA in US)

My only concern with that is I don't know how many people still have a GBA or original NDS. I still have a NDS so it's not an issue for me personally, but I figure a lot of people sold their NDS after getting a 3DS. There was also SRW Endless Frontier released on the NDS in the US, but looking at eBay it appears to be rather pricey. Aside from accessibility concerns it's a great suggestion.. I haven't played either of those games.

I realize I suggested a few games only on PC/Mac/Linux but as I've said they're mostly pretty low on system requirements that anyone with a computer made in the past 10 years or so shouldn't have a problem running them.

I'm not crazy about this category, but my suggestion for "best villains" would be:

"Growlanser Generations". Growlanser II may pit your character against his best friend. Growlanser III also has some memorable villains like the creepy, cold-blooded assassin Randolf. Barbara's motivations for fighting with the villains is actually
    Spoiler:
    to get a cure for a disease her children are suffering from
    It's only available on PS2, so I don't know if that'd be an issue, but it's selling for fairly cheap online.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall -Director's Cut - it's hard to even discuss the villains of this game without spoiling something... And who you consider the antagonist may change based on the choices you make. But it's a great story, with some interesting moral debates you don't normally see in a video game.

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings - Like Shadowrun, who you even consider the villains may change depending on your perspective / the choices you make. Letho? King Hensalt? Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen? Loredo... Or perhaps a couple of the sorceresses. But it's a great story and definitely some interesting adversaries that are less of the boring "pure evil" villain than in a lot of RPGs.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution- Director's Cut - the story of this game resolves around an interesting philosophical debates.. And again, who you consider the real villains may end up changing based on your perspective.

Return to Krondor - The main villain in this game, Bear, a vicious pirate who is seeking an artifact that will basically make someone immortal, is quite possibly the most evil character I've ever seen in a video game. This game is only available on PC, but it's very old so no one should have any trouble running it, and it's only $2.99 on GOG.

Fallout - The Master; horribly disfigured leader of the Mutant army (and Children of the Cathedral cult). Fallout is only available on PC, but very old so that shouldn't be an issue.

Baldur's Gate 2: Jon Irenicus. Available on tablets as well as PC/Mac.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Despite not really being a Star Wars fan, I loved this game. It has a better story than any of the movies and Darth Malak > Darth Vader. And you can even choose become a villain (join the Dark Side) if you want.