If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Pok

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited December 2014 in Latest Updates
This year's annual installment of Pok
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2014
    "Pok
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited December 2014
    I'm of two minds about PokeNav. I hated the bottom screen in X/Y and I'm glad that I can now have the map up most of the time instead of the parade of friends who were never logged in or my Pokemon uselessly rolling around in a ball. The Pokenav could have been a LOT more useful if it combined more features into a single screen, however. The 2-3 different map tools could have been combined into one, and you could have an option to have BuzzNav scroll by on the bottom of the screen like a real news feed. Stuff like that.

I feel like these games were actually more difficult than X/Y. At least the gym leaders had more Pokeymans on them. With the advent of the new Exp. Share, though, Game Freak really needs to switch to dynamic difficulty or at least the option for a Hard Mode from the outset.

Agreed about the way the world was portrayed. Super lazy most of the time, especially after some of the gorgeous stuff we got to see in Kalos. And ye gods, my kingdom for purchasable Berries/Pokeblocks.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited December 2014
    While I heard that the characterization has improved in these games over the original GBA versions, I think I made the right choice in waiting to play one of these. The only thing I'm missing that I would really want right now is access to the Move Tutors, and I don't mind waiting a year or two for that, even if it means getting kicked around more on WiFi.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited December 2014
    Did the original have Stephen Stone, Official Bishie Businessman of the Hoenn Region?
    edited December 2014
    Yep, he was still Champion in Ruby and Sapphire. That title was somehow given to Wallace in Emerald and I'm not really sure what Steven's role was, not having played it.
    Bravely second...

edited December 2014
    Speaking of Wallace, have you seen his new outfit? It's.... well.... it's something!
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2014
    Who stole the other half of his turtleneck?!
    edited December 2014
    Maybe his Milotic ate it.
    Bravely second...

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2014
    In Emerald, Steven takes on Red's role of standing in a cave with a team of level 75+ Pokemon. While the Gym Leaders had rematch teams in Emerald (and WAY better default teams in the main quest), the E4 did not power-up, so Steven acts as the true-ending benchmark.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited December 2014
    Highly unlikely I'll get this considering I still never got X/Y and I wasn't a huge fan of the original Ruby/Sapphire(though that might have been because I got burned out on the series then).
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2014
    Ocelot wrote: »
    I feel like these games were actually more difficult than X/Y. At least the gym leaders had more Pokeymans on them. With the advent of the new Exp. Share, though, Game Freak really needs to switch to dynamic difficulty or at least the option for a Hard Mode from the outset.

I thought about leaving the statement that this was easier than X/Y out, since I'm comparing something very easy to something that seemed slightly easier than that to me.

My experience was that at least in X/Y I paid attention to type strengths and weaknesses and needed to heal periodically. In this, I could just leave whatever Pokemon I wanted in the 1st slot and kill everything I faced, including types it was weak to in gyms. About the time I got Surf, I intentionally avoided grass, trainers, and routes for the rest of the game, and booted two of my team members for low level Pokemon I never ended up using. For the last 4th of the game I only leveled up against gym leaders and story fights, and even then the only challenge was against the champion, who finally gave me a fight against decent Pokemon. I think the only time I used revives all game was against Kyogre (to capture it) and during the Elite 4 gauntlet. I know X/Y wasn't quite that easy for me, and I didn't skip large sections of the map, avoid trainers, or shuffle my party in X/Y.

My most-used Pokemon in ORAS was an Oddish/Gloom/Bellossom with "decent" IVs that I caught near the beginning. I did laugh every time Bellossom used Acid, since the animation looked like the most disgusting, dehydrated golden shower attack ever, but I really shouldn't be able to slay fire and flying Pokemon left and right with a crappy Gloom.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited December 2014
    Huh, my experience was the opposite. I was waaaaay too powerful for everything in X/Y, and only way too powerful for everything in ORAS. I used grass-caught Pokeys with awful IVs in X/Y and specially-bred super-Pokeys in ORAS. The big difference is that I turned off the Exp Share for most of my ORAS playthrough. They just haven't balanced that thing yet.