If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

top 10 poll

Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff CaballeroThe WoodRPGamer Staff
Hi gang.

Random conversations with my coworkers led me to do this.

I'm gathering as many people that are willing to give me their top 10 favorite rpgs of all time. I want to see what the masses consider. I know I've sent a lot of you a pm already, but I think a thread would work better?

If you want to participate (I'd love to get over 100 people's list) please send me a pm with your list in order can I can give them points.

I'm asking for pm so everyone's list is individual and so another person's list doesn't affect/alter/adjust you own games.

Any and all games you would consider are fine. I've gotten plenty of obscure games so far.

So please join in, and when I'm satisfied with enough lists, I plan to tally up the totals and make a grand project that I will share with you all.

Thanks again.

Scar, out!
"Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Considering this is a topic directly about RPGs, I've moved it to this section of the forums. I'm interested in seeing your final result Scar, I'll send you a message with my participation soon.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    For clarity, the message mentioned console RPGs. So does the list only include home console games or are PC and handhelds also allowed?
  • Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    I've left that up to the person creating the list. This is your own personal list and there shouldn't be any limitations. Any and all RPGs you want to label an RPG will work. Trust me, I've gotten some silly games from people already.

Got around 40ish lists so far. Would love to topple 100.

=)
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2015
    Not sure why I needed to be PM'ed for this, but it just so happens that I created such a list a few days ago, so you're in luck:
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Not sure why I needed to be PM'ed for this, but it just so happens that I created such a list a few days ago, so you're in luck:
    From the OP:

I'm asking for pm so everyone's list is individual and so another person's list doesn't affect/alter/adjust you own games.
    I've reached 100 lists!

While I figure out tallys, I imagine I can keep this open for another week or so. So, if you want to contribute, please send me those lists!

Thanks again.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    I'll probably pass as trying to narrow it down to top 10 would take a long time. I know of like 2 or 3 that would make my list but hard to exactly narrow out more
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    I'm still trying to narrow my list down to 10.

At least I've managed to make top 5 lists for every platform I own so that's a start :)
    Quick update!

I have reached over 180 lists.

Thanks for everyone that has participated, but for those of you who have yet to submit a list, please do so!

This has been such a fun experiment and it's not even halfway complete!
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    I'm leaving this here for posterity :)

In order

Final Fantasy VII
    Phantasy Star IV
    Suikoden 2
    World of Warcraft
    Dark Souls
    Mass Effect 2
    Grandia
    The Adventures of Alundra
    Alpha Protocol
    Star Ocean: The Second Story
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    I take it you polled more than just this forum? I wouldn't have thought there would be 180 members here but I guess a top 10 list would be the kind of thing lurkers would venture out into the light for.

As always I immediately regretted a few of my choices the moment I sent off my list.
    Right. I have asked this question both online and offline. It started with small talk at work. It's grown into something far greater then I imagined it would have.

It's been fun though. Hopefully everyone enjoys the final results when I finish collecting lists.
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/RadShadow/the-most-favorite-rpgs

Here's the top 92 games from my collective findings.

See where your games rank.

If they made the top 92 that is....

There was over 440 RPGs submitted, but I only made this quiz to represent the ones that got at least 50 votes.

Let me know if you see anything egregiously wrong with the quiz.

Hope you enjoy it!
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited June 2015
    Curious results, only 2 of my favorite games ended up being in the top 92, haha. Guess I really don't see eye to eye with many of the RPGamers out there.

Also interesting, how the heck did
    Spoiler:
    Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
    possibly make it into the top 92? Seriously, enough people have actually heard of, played, and enjoyed this game? Perhaps it was all a just part of an elaborate joke that I wasn't in on between like minded individuals. :P
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2015
    Haha ok who voted for The Legend of Dragoon?

The top 10 were more or less what I expected. My list, FTR:

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    2. Deus Ex
    3. Demon's Souls
    4. Fallout
    5. Planescape: Torment
    6. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
    7. Mother 3
    8. Darklands
    9. Gothic II: Night of the Raven
    10. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited June 2015
    I'm curious as to whether "Pokemon" is Red/Blue or the entire series. I thought later games, especially Black and White really improved upon the original games.

I also find it interesting that Chrono Trigger outranked Final Fantasy VI in this poll, though I did predict it would have been either one of those games.

There are some pleasant surprises on here, too: The World Ends With You, multiple Fire Emblems, and Bravely Default, to name a few.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Yeah, tad confused what just "Pokemon" means. My list was created using an 1-on-1 sorting algorithm using all 68 RPGs that I've finished.

1 Final Fantasy VI
    2 Chrono Trigger
    3 Final Fantasy VII
    4 Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
    5 Pokemon Platinum
    6 Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
    7 Tales of Vesperia
    8 Final Fantasy V
    9 Pokemon Black 2/White 2
    10 Tales of the Abyss
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Interesting results, but ultimately not surprising. Thanks for sharing the results with us. Here was my list:

1. Persona 3 FES (PS2)
    2. Fallout 3 (X360)
    3. Mass Effect 1 (X360)
    4. Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC)
    5. Final Fantasy (NES)
    6. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)
    7. Shadow Hearts: Covenant (PS2)
    8. Lunar the Silver Star (SCD)
    9. Phantasy Star 2 (Gen)
    10. Sequence (XBLA/PC)
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    Awesome master list and game, I was pleased that most of mine made the list, and my favorite game of all time made Number 2 :)

The funny thing is, after see the total 92 list, I realized there was several games that I had missed that may have even altered my top 10, very interesting experiment.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    Clix wrote: »
    Yeah, tad confused what just "Pokemon" means. My list was created using an 1-on-1 sorting algorithm using all 68 RPGs that I've finished.

Oh, I also submitted a separate list that only allowed one entry per series. Not sure which one Scar used.

1 Final Fantasy VI
    2 Chrono Trigger
    4 Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
    5 Pokemon Platinum
    7 Tales of Vesperia
    11 Shadow Hearts: Covanent
    19 Lost Odyssey
    20 Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy
    23 Super Mario RPG
    27 Bravely Default
    Yeah, a lot of people just had "pokemon series" as one of their ten games...so I ultimately just lumped every pokemon vote as one.

It's not perfect, but such is life. lol I mean, even though I asked people to put them in order, a lot of people just said...in no particular order. In those cased I just used whatever order they listed as their top 10.
    edited June 2015
    Hmm 42% right, would been higher but a couple of my guesses didn't count.

As example I typed Elder Scrolls 3 = Morrowind. Also Lunar: Silver Star Story compared to Lunar" Silver Star Story complete.

Pretty interesting list.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Hmm I'll fix morrowind, and the lunar one should have worked. I'll tinker with it in the morning.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I got 49/92. There were three major series I completely forgot about, and one recent extremely popular RPG (and I even went through a mental list of our GOTY winners and forgot it), but other than that I was happy with how well I did.

It was funny when I was running out of ideas and cringing while typing things like Too Human and Dungeon Siege while hoping they would NOT actually be on the list.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • knownameknowname KnowJob, KnowClue Full Members
    edited June 2015
    I got 20 lol but than I didn't really start till 10 minutes plus I put things like 'Demon Souls' I had no idea it was DEMONS SOULS :/ or it took Lunar 2 but not Lunar 1. Neither did I look up ALL the Kingdom Hearts names... ugh I hate computer driven 'family feud' polls like this lol. too many ways to err... Surprised there is NO Grandia at all there. My list:
    1. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
    2. Lost Odysee
    3. Grandia
    4. Phantasy Star 4
    5. Chrono Cross
    6. Shining Force
    7. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    8. Skies of Arcadia (DC with improved audio and textures AND A MILLION RANDOM BATTLES)
    9. KOTOR
    10. Record of Lodoss War

ones that break my heart to not include include Grandia 2, Shadow Hearts, Fable, Lunar, Disgaea and so on and so on.... :/
    Shadow Hearts Covenant was on the list. And it's the one that should be on the list
    sig.gif

• knownameknowname KnowJob, KnowClue Full Members
    "ones that break my heart to not include include Grandia 2, Shadow Hearts, Fable, Lunar, Disgaea and so on and so on...."

I meant on my list (which has nothing to do with the top 92) but yeah. I'd only really played the first Shadow Hearts.
    knowname wrote: »
    "ones that break my heart to not include include Grandia 2, Shadow Hearts, Fable, Lunar, Disgaea and so on and so on...."

I meant on my list (which has nothing to do with the top 92) but yeah. I'd only really played the first Shadow Hearts.

The second one is the best of the three
    sig.gif

knowname wrote: »

The second one is the best of the three

And it requires almost no knowledge of the previous game to enjoy, despite being a direct sequel! Yay! Which was good for me, because Covenant was easy to get--the first one would have cost way too much.