If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

xenogears?

poke32poke32 MemberFull Members
edited August 2002 in Role Playing Games
i was thinking about buying it but i wanna know from u guys if it is really all that good?confused.gif??

any description would be helpful wink.gif

Comments

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    Xenogears is one of my favorite games, and I recommend it. It has a good story, graphics, and soundtrack, three separate battle engines (Regular, in Gear, and for Arena fighting), and boasts an impressive playtime.

However, the text speed is unchangeable and very slow, the localization is a bit iffy, especially in its grammar, and the story suffers from a few different things. First of all, although a good number of the religious references are on target, a few are off or just thrown in there to sound cool, which may or may not bother you. Secondly, the game gets bogged down by too much backstory- Xenogears is the fifth in a six episode series, and it gets into trouble trying to explain itself sometimes, which confuses the current story sometimes.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    I'm in a rush right now, so I'll be brief.

Best game of all time. hands down.

And away I go....
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    I with Lyniad. I love it. Drooooool!
  • eeeradicatoreeeradicator Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    Best. PSX Game. Evar.
  • poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    thanx guys
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    I liked Xenogears, but I should point out that quite a few people absolutely hated the game, it really depends on what type of gamer you are. ?It's not an RPG that you can just put down for a month and get right back into, and it demands your full attention. ?There are also some rather tedious parts to the game, namely the Tower of Babel and the final dungeon. ?If you can get past this, you should be ok.

Edit: I also agree with Rico, the fact that there is such a complicated back story, combined with the fact that it is integral to the game's plot, means that you are going to be sitting around doing a lot of reading. This is what makes the second disc so....how to say this politely....controversial.

• Options
    edited July 2002
    Xenogears...Ah yes, what a great achievement in video games... Fabulous story(Which I had NO trouble understanding whatsoever) Great graphics for it's time and one of the most engrossing battle systems ever( Truly, second only to the Valkyrie Profile System)

Buy the damn game, and I will buy your copy if you are dissatisfied.
  • The Big BangThe Big Bang Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    The only thing that I can think of that would push people away from it is the religious ideas in the game itself....
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    As has been said, Xenogears has a great story with some very cool characters, but since the story has been bragged on enough, I will discuss what hampers the game.

The battle system, wether in a gear or on foot, leaves something to be desired. On foot, just press a combination of buttons that will do a special move. Do the most powerful one over and over and heal when needed by item or magic. Learn more powerful moves by trying different combinations of buttons and you will know if you are learning a new move due to an indicator in the menu. Learning new moves is very tedious; you must press the same combination of buttons over and over until you learn the move; this takes many battles. You can save combos and store them for one big combo. However, the sum of the parts is just as strong as the whole, so there is usually no reason to do this. Only on a few bosses that heal often will this be needed. You cannot decide who gets what magic, they simply learn spells as they level up and attack magic is almost completely obsolete.

A gear is a huge mecha that you characters get in. The monotony of the battles is relieved a little. Now you have the option of using a few different levels of attacks, the more powerful an attack the more fuel it uses up. You can save attacks and use a combo later, which is more powerful. Sometimes you will go into "infinity" mode where you use really powerful attacks.

Xenogears offers little in the way of a battle system with no options to play with or characters to build. The dungeons can be tedious and downright boring. However, you owe it to yourself to try this game out. Despite my criticisms, it is one of my top favorite RPG's of all time. The reason is simply because it is a very long RPG with a story that will keep you very interested and characters that are very cool.

• Options
    edited July 2002
    Pretty good game!
    Well...if you like to read a lot...

It has two battle system so u cant really get sick of them.
    Graphics aint marvelous, but they are still pretty good!

One of my favorite game, would surely put it in my top 10...after Thousand Arms tounge.gif

MikeGaum
  • adar_gadar_g Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    It is the best game ever made. If you don't play it, you're missing out on a lot. Definitely worth the time and money.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    I second Boomerang... Xenogears is only second to Chrono Trigger in my favorite RPG of all time, but depending on your perspective you may end up hating the game. Let me point out that while I loved Xenogears I disagree with those who say that the battle system is excellent. Stylish, yes, but repetitive, even more so compared to some menu based RPG battle systems. On on-foot battles, magic takes a back-seat while ordinary attacks deliver superior damage... and it takes no EP. Even healing magic isn't always as effective as items. And then there's even an item that restores a character to full health out of battle that only costs 50 G. Wha?? So after every fierce battle I tend to use this. In gear battles, more strategy is involved because attacks actually use fuel, so that's a plus. As far as story goes, Xenogears is the deepest and most epic RPG I've played, and it's hella long too. Regardless, many were disappointed with the second disc, since literally half of the CD contained nothing but text. I among others though weren't bothered much by this.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    It's pretty crappy. It throws out two bajillion names and locations and expects you to remember them. The dialogue is long-winded and 80% meaningless. Mix that in with the inconsistent gameplay and then top it off with Disc 2 and you have one of the worst and most overrated RPGs in video game history.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    Ignore Jude. Two months ago, Jude and I had a humongous argument about Xenogears.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    It is my favorite RPG of all-time. It has plenty of flaws(the 2nd CD is quite unorthodox), but the story is amazing and kept me interested throughout the 77 hours it took me to beat it. The battle system is pretty good though it may get repetitive for some, but Gears are undeniably cool. I beat it in a week because I had alot of time on my hands and I spent like every free hour playing it, I didn't even stop to eat, I ate while playing.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TheDarkshineKnight @ July 04 2002,08:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ignore Jude. Two months ago, Jude and I had a humongous argument about Xenogears.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How about we ignore you? My opinions have just as much validity as yours, scumbag.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    Sorry, I had a poor coice of words there. Can I have a hug now? biggrin.gif
  • HyperMechaHyperMecha Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's not an RPG that you can just put down for a month and get right back into, and it demands your full attention.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ugh, I'll say! I made the mistake of stopping playing it for about 3 months after being 7.5 hours into the game. BIG MISTAKE. I just started over, it was too complicated to remember what the heck I was doing!!!! sad.gif
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It throws out two bajillion names and locations and expects you to remember them[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, I dunno about anyone else but I take notes with some RPGs. It doesn't bother me having to do that...there is always a notebook laying around with my game notes in it. I kind of assumed a lot of people did that.

• MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    I am about 15 hours into Xenogears (for all those who've played it, I'm in Damuz in the part with the Gear battle with Ramsus & Miang) and here's what I think of the game so far...

1. The plot is odd. First of all, the plot seems to be centered around an endless battle between two kingdoms, Kislev and Aveh, who use mecha called "Gears". The main character wants to end the fighting and refuses to take sides in the conflict(similar to the movie "Princess Mononoke"). The game does spout a lot of names at you, and it's confusing, but it's not like things are explained but it a bad way, instead, things just AREN'T explained, which makes me hope there's going to be more explanation later. Interspersed with all this are some bizarre scenes (such as some anime flashbacks) that increase the game's mystery through cryptic, sometimes religious dialogue. Some examples:
    "Has 'he' awoken?"
    "The -time- of the -gospel- is approaching."
    "We who fill this land will once again return to the presence of god in paradise and live there eternally."
    "But we can't use the 'Gaetia Key'. Not until the proper time comes."

2. There is a ton of text, much of which has little relation to the plot. For example, in one part the characters go to a church and spend a looooooong time discussing the symbolism in the religious art there. Yeah, this probably matters later, but it's still annoying. Believe me, you WILL get bored sometimes, especially with the slow text speed.

3. The battle systems are actually quite fun, and they don't seem repetitive to me. The weird thing is that the characters are strangely imbalanced. For example, Fei, who's supposed to be a powerful martial artist, seems very weak, and Citan, supposedly a "gentle doctor", smacks down! In fact, Citan does about twice the damage Fei does (he also has a stronger healing spell than Fei). Also, the game's female lead, Elly, is underpowered - she's incredibly weak physically and her spells do less damage than the "deathblow" physical attacks of everyone else.

4. The music is okay, but it seemed like Yasunori Mitsuda was slacking off and composed way too few songs for the game. Nearly every song in the game is used in many, many, many different unrelated situations.

5. The graphics look bad (especially since I'm playing it on an emulator, so I'm sitting relatively very close to the screen), but unlike other Square games like FFs 7-9, the game's locations are actually, truly 3D, allowing the camera to rotate - this goes great lengths to make cutscenes more cinematic. In fact, many of the in-game cutscenes feel more like FF10 than any of Square's other PSX games. Strangely, the characters are sprites rather than 3D. This was a weird choice, since the low-res sprites become very pixelated if the camera isn't zoomed way out. Also, since the sprites are only drawn from each 45 degree rotation, they unpleasantly "jump" 45 degrees as the camera rotates. (That wasn't a very good explanation, so you'll just have to see the effect in the game to understand it.)

6. The FMVs seem randomly placed. In the first 3 hours, the FMVs were very frequent. A few hours later, there was another one, and since then there haven't been any! They are also used for the wrong scenes sometimes - there was an FMV for Weltall leaving the Yggdrasil at one point, an extremely minor scene that didn't have anything to do with the plot, yet there were plenty of scenes (such as that powerful red gear picking up the Yggdrasil) that would have heavily benefitted from FMVs. Overall, the FMVs were cool - while they lasted.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The game does spout a lot of names at you, and it's confusing, but it's not like things are explained but it a bad way, instead, things just AREN'T explained, which makes me hope there's going to be more explanation later.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Don't count on it. Much of what isn't explained doesn't ever get explained at all. Don't plan on understanding the complexities of the backstory without reading the 200+ page Perfect Works. It's ridiculous... You shouldn't have to read the entire dictionary to comprehend English and you shouldn't have to read a novel to understand a video game.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    And indeed, you do not have to read the entire dictionary to comprehend English. Reading the dictionary (assuming that you absorb any of it) will increase your vocabulary and you will hopefully be able to express greater meaning through fewer words. Likewise, you do not have to read a novel to understand the basic plot of Xenogears. Reading Perfect Works will increase your background knowledge of the game's world and timeline, and you will hopefully be able to appreciate some of the subtleties and history that aren't directly relevant to the plotline.
  • eeeradicatoreeeradicator Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Metacod @ July 06 2002,20:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am about 15 hours into Xenogears (for all those who've played it, I'm in Damuz in the part with the Gear battle with Ramsus & Miang) and here's what I think of the game so far...

1. ?The plot is odd. ?First of all, the plot seems to be centered around an endless battle between two kingdoms, Kislev and Aveh, who use mecha called "Gears". ?The main character wants to end the fighting and refuses to take sides in the conflict(similar to the movie "Princess Mononoke"). ?The game does spout a lot of names at you, and it's confusing, but it's not like things are explained but it a bad way, instead, things just AREN'T explained, which makes me hope there's going to be more explanation later. ?Interspersed with all this are some bizarre scenes (such as some anime flashbacks) that increase the game's mystery through cryptic, sometimes religious dialogue. ?Some examples:
    "Has 'he' awoken?" ?
    "The -time- of the -gospel- is approaching." ?
    "We who fill this land will once again return to the presence of god in paradise and live there eternally."
    "But we can't use the 'Gaetia Key'. ?Not until the proper time comes."

2. ?There is a ton of text, much of which has little relation to the plot. ?For example, in one part the characters go to a church and spend a looooooong time discussing the symbolism in the religious art there. ?Yeah, this probably matters later, but it's still annoying. ?Believe me, you WILL get bored sometimes, especially with the slow text speed.

3. ?The battle systems are actually quite fun, and they don't seem repetitive to me. ?The weird thing is that the characters are strangely imbalanced. ?For example, Fei, who's supposed to be a powerful martial artist, seems very weak, and Citan, supposedly a "gentle doctor", smacks down! ?In fact, Citan does about twice the damage Fei does (he also has a stronger healing spell than Fei). ?Also, the game's female lead, Elly, is underpowered - she's incredibly weak physically and her spells do less damage than the "deathblow" physical attacks of everyone else.

4. ?The music is okay, but it seemed like Yasunori Mitsuda was slacking off and composed way too few songs for the game. ?Nearly every song in the game is used in many, many, many different unrelated situations.

5. ?The graphics look bad (especially since I'm playing it on an emulator, so I'm sitting relatively very close to the screen), but unlike other Square games like FFs 7-9, the game's locations are actually, truly 3D, allowing the camera to rotate - this goes great lengths to make cutscenes more cinematic. ?In fact, many of the in-game cutscenes feel more like FF10 than any of Square's other PSX games. ?Strangely, the characters are sprites rather than 3D. ?This was a weird choice, since the low-res sprites become very pixelated if the camera isn't zoomed way out. ?Also, since the sprites are only drawn from each 45 degree rotation, they unpleasantly "jump" 45 degrees as the camera rotates. ?(That wasn't a very good explanation, so you'll just have to see the effect in the game to understand it.)

6. ?The FMVs seem randomly placed. ?In the first 3 hours, the FMVs were very frequent. ?A few hours later, there was another one, and since then there haven't been any! ?They are also used for the wrong scenes sometimes - there was an FMV for Weltall leaving the Yggdrasil at one point, an extremely minor scene that didn't have anything to do with the plot, yet there were plenty of scenes (such as that powerful red gear picking up the Yggdrasil) that would have heavily benefitted from FMVs. ?Overall, the FMVs were cool - while they lasted.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Reponses:

1. I don't know if odd is the right word for the plot. It isn't what it appears, I can say that much. All else will be revealed later. And yes, answers to the questions you listed are given later. Everybody bitches that its sooooo hard ;_; to understand. Try thinking about it for Chrissakes! Everything you need to know is given.

2. Yes there is a ton of text. No lying about that. It's pretty much all worthwhile, though.

3. I love the battle system. I don't remember Fei being weak, though. I do remember that when Citan joined he was of a higher level than my Fei, so that might account for something. As for why Citan's so strong, all will be revealed. wink.gif And as far as no character development and not being able to pick who gets what magic: Good. Not everyone should learn everything. How personalized is that?

4. I never pay attention to music, can't comment.

5. The graphics these days probably do look bad, yes.

6. It was very light on FMVs for awhile. Good. smile.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    Nearly everything is explained if you pay attention. Actually, many of the difficult things are explained several times. The main thing to remember is to pay attention during disk 2 rather than skip through the text whining about the massive amount of storytelling.

Sprites are meant to be symbols of the characters that stimulate your imagination, not exact replicas of the original artists intent. A sprite is supposed to convey character and personality. If it doesn't, then call the graphics bad. Until then, they are simply old fashioned.

I thought the sprites were well done. The fact that they didn't have 8 million polygons per pixel didn't bother me in the least, and really doesn't make them "bad" graphics. Each sprite protrays aspects of the personality and appearance of each character, which is what graphics are supposed to be doing. Each sprite is also distinct, so that you can recognize the character on the screen.. I don't know how many times I've seen 3d Final Fantasy IX characters blend into the background, becoming invisible... in places like the middle of an open street.

Old graphics aren't automatically bad. Heck, there is a poll over in the Final Fantasy forum about the best graphic for the Ultima spell, and I believe the one from Final Fantasy VI(A Super Nintendo game&#33wink.gif is winning. Just because the Playstation Ultima spells utilize a lot more memory and processor speed obviously didn't make them 100% better graphics.

Also, the sprites have an additional purpose which most people ignore, and that is to denote gear-level creatures vs. normal-level creatures in the combat area.
    edited July 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goladus @ July 08 2002,08:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Nearly everything is explained if you pay attention. ?Actually, many of the difficult things are explained several times. ?The main thing to remember is to pay attention during disk 2 rather than skip through the text whining about the massive amount of storytelling.

Sprites are meant to be symbols of the characters that stimulate your imagination, not exact replicas of the original artists intent. ?A sprite is supposed to convey character and personality. ?If it doesn't, then call the graphics bad. ?Until then, they are simply old fashioned.

I thought the sprites were well done. ?The fact that they didn't have 8 million polygons per pixel didn't bother me in the least, and really doesn't make them "bad" graphics. ?Each sprite protrays aspects of the personality and appearance of each character, which is what graphics are supposed to be doing. ?Each sprite is also distinct, so that you can recognize the character on the screen.. ?I don't know how many times I've seen 3d Final Fantasy IX characters blend into the background, becoming invisible... ?in places like the middle of an open street.

Old graphics aren't automatically bad. ?Heck, there is a poll over in the Final Fantasy forum about the best graphic for the Ultima spell, and I believe the one from Final Fantasy VI(A Super Nintendo game&#33wink.gif is winning. ?Just because the Playstation Ultima spells utilize a lot more memory and processor speed obviously didn't make them 100% better graphics.

Also, the sprites have an additional purpose which most people ignore, and that is to denote gear-level creatures vs. normal-level creatures in the combat area.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow, all of that just because of a misinterpretation of what I said. Did you notice I never said the graphics were bad? I think the camera rotation makes cutscenes a lot better and the sprites are somewhat more expressive than most 3D Playstation characters. What I said was that the graphics look bad. In my opinion, ultra-pixelated, jerkily-rotating sprites on pixelated low-poly 3D backgrounds with often absurdly low-resolution textures isn't exactly what I'd call picturesque, if you know what I mean...
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    As I stated earlier in this thread, Xenogears is the best RPG of all time, hands down.

The only, and yes, only problem I had with the game were those damned 2d sprites on fantastic 3D environments. I really wish the developer had put more into the field character design. Eh, no biggie.

- Lyniad
    edited August 2002
    Whoa, I remember this thread! Anyway, I'm a lot farther now. I'm trying to beat the difficult final bosses now.
  • poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    its funny i started this thread and i did buy the game i am a big fan but havent had time to play it much so i dont have a valued opinion as of yet ........;)

but thanx for all your input guys....:):)