If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Impression - Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited June 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGamer jumps into a new Vita RPG set in a dystopian city. They make a party of manga characters, most pretty. They use codes and spells, solve puzzles from hell, and fight hundreds of monsters most gritty!

Has it really been like 4+ years since JCServant last wrote for the site?
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    Thank you very much for this impression. I am ecstatic about this game and even more so that i can use the original paper doll models. I thought they had "westernized" it by making use use the overly dramatic battle poses. So hearing about the classic mode makes me extremely happy.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    I'm definitely picking this up as I really liked Demon Gaze. Seems this one may be more work to get through.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    scorpio_7 wrote: »
    Thank you very much for this impression. I am ecstatic about this game and even more so that i can use the original paper doll models. I thought they had "westernized" it by making use use the overly dramatic battle poses. So hearing about the classic mode makes me extremely happy.

Yeah...I didn't have time to go toooo deep into classic mode, as I did my play-through in the other one...but there was one interesting thing I noted that I did not share in the write up.

The pieces of 'armor' I found were things like "Pirate pants" and "Dark Wizard robes". They graphics matched the poses of the classic mode characters... making me think that if you were to play that mode, your characters' paper doll might reflect the armor you have equipped... dress me up heroes, so to speak. That would be cool! I may have to start a 2nd game and test out my theory :)
    I'm definitely picking this up as I really liked Demon Gaze. Seems this one may be more work to get through.

Having played both, now, I can tell ya... No doubt about it.. but this one is definitely a wee more work. Someone told me that they made Demon Gaze to be a new player friendly DRPG. And, while Demon Gaze is no slouch (Some of those bosses are HARD), its clear that this game requires more attention to get through. It's a deeper experience, and is much harder to recommend to new DRPG players. For those seeking a classic Wizardry / Class of Heroes experience, it's showing a lot of promise. I'm enjoying it so far in a very 'old school' sort of way.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2015
    JCServant wrote: »
    The pieces of 'armor' I found were things like "Pirate pants" and "Dark Wizard robes". They graphics matched the poses of the classic mode characters... making me think that if you were to play that mode, your characters' paper doll might reflect the armor you have equipped... dress me up heroes, so to speak. That would be cool! I may have to start a 2nd game and test out my theory :)

Yes they do :) (started on basic or whatever mode, but switched to classic as it looks more interesting)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members

Yes they do :) (started on basic or whatever mode, but switched to classic as it looks more interesting)

Awesome! I downloaded a semi-translated version years ago and it had the dress-up mode, so glad its in :)
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    scorpio_7 wrote: »

Yeah...I didn't have time to go toooo deep into classic mode, as I did my play-through in the other one...but there was one interesting thing I noted that I did not share in the write up.

Having played both, now, I can tell ya... No doubt about it.. but this one is definitely a wee more work. Someone told me that they made Demon Gaze to be a new player friendly DRPG. And, while Demon Gaze is no slouch (Some of those bosses are HARD), its clear that this game requires more attention to get through. It's a deeper experience, and is much harder to recommend to new DRPG players. For those seeking a classic Wizardry / Class of Heroes experience, it's showing a lot of promise. I'm enjoying it so far in a very 'old school' sort of way.

From what you played, how would you compare it to Demon Gaze, puzzle-wise? I'm guessing more complicated since you mentioned using walkthroughs.
    From what you played, how would you compare it to Demon Gaze, puzzle-wise? I'm guessing more complicated since you mentioned using walkthroughs.
    Depends on how you define puzzles. I haven't really hit a bonefide puzzle, par se. However, I did hit a snag in the first major dungeon. At one point, I had explored all but two rooms. I could not figure how to get into either. The first, I eventually found out, you unlock by creating a key type item (You make the vast majority of the items in this game from scraps you find). Oddly enough, as soon as I entered the room, I was forced out after a battle. The second room, in the center, proved the hardest. I could not figure it out for several hours (No FAQs yet). Eventually, I ran across an event in the middle of another floor (which I had already mapped and, therefore, presumed 'explored'), which allowed me entry to that final room. Once there, the story progressed, opening up new areas to explore.

I felt a little frustrated because I can't stand wandering aimlessly in a game, trying to figure out what to do next. I feel even more frustrated when I feel that it's the "Game's Fault" (i.e. they could have explained a few things a bit better). A FAQ would certainly help with moments like these. In all fairness, Demon Gaze had a few... specifically with some of the somewhat unbalanced big bosses.

Normally, when I hit these walls in games, I tend to put them down...and because I have SO many other games to play, I rarely come back to them. However, I keep returning to both of these.
  • ShiftyShifty New Member Full Members
    Just finished the Code Hazard section, really enjoying choosing classic mode over basic. The ability to create a customizable party based on real life friends makes me feel more invested in the game. Your characters also look really cool once you get some higher level armor to equip.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    This game is definitely very firmly ensconced in "old Wizardry". Alignment, races, and classes and rolling for bonus points? Of course, there are very few restrictions on alignment, some classes are actually locked out of character creation, and the races are called personalities instead. I guess the fewer restrictions at creation (and things like the therapy option) are supposed to make it more user-friendly than the old games.

Looking at the equip screen for items reminds me a lot of the Wizardry downloadable PS3 game, Labyrinth of Lost Souls. The game has a similar "labeling" convention as far as showing certain stats in red/yellow instead of telling you that there's a -1 STR or whatever (the list of different qualifiers is also similar)

There was one really big disappointment here though. You can change classes (Blood Codes) at any time back at the hub, but your prior classes have no influence on your new class (aside from fixed stat allocation). There's basically no cross-class anything in the game, which feels soooo limiting compared to other Wizardry-type games (even the original 1-2-3).

Jitawa wrote: »
    There was one really big disappointment here though. You can change classes (Blood Codes) at any time back at the hub, but your prior classes have no influence on your new class (aside from fixed stat allocation). There's basically no cross-class anything in the game, which feels soooo limiting compared to other Wizardry-type games (even the original 1-2-3).

That's a great point. There is no reason to fart around with 'multi classing' here.

• JitawaJitawa Member Full Members

That's a great point. There is no reason to fart around with 'multi classing' here.

It's interesting in a way. The original PC titles (Generation Xth) did have similar "early Wizardry" cross-class possibilities. It's actually written into the plot to tell you to try cross-class-ing:
    http://i.imgur.com/QtxYBnD.jpg

The first two let you use spells that you got from other classes, but that was pretty much it. The third had more of an actual multi-class system.

This is a remake of the first two PC games, but it removed the spell-use from other classes the PC version had. The multi-classing from the third game is apparently intact in the remake of the third PC title (Operation Babel).